Official Manchester City Thread

JuniorBlue

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

It depends what your definition of up the creek was. I reckon we'd still be at least a top 10 side' date=' which would be fine.[/quote']

I disagree, I don't think Man City without Mansour would sustain top 10 in the premier league, it's too competitive and you'd lose too many players too quickly to be there.

We are relying on the long term' date=' and that's why Mansour won't be leaving tomorrow. Would be incredibly daft of him to put all the money in and not stick around long enough to see a return on it.[/quote']

I'm not saying he would leave I'm merely pointing out why FFP exists, because if he did leave you'd be in big trouble, UEFA want to make sure clubs don't get a sugar daddy who gets bored.

No' date=' you're suggesting that if Mansour goes we'd be right back where we started in 2008. That just isn't the case. In 2008 we were on the verge of going broke, had a terrible squad and were flirting with relegation more often than not. Now, even without Mansour, there's a very good if ageing squad, recent seasons have been excellent and there's long term infrastructure in place.[/quote']

Without Mansour you'd lose your biggest investors in a heartbeat. They are only interested in the club because of what Mansour is doing, if he goes the investment would dry up faster than water in the Sahara.

What does Manchester City, just the club, have to offer these investors without Mansour backing you? Nothing that United, Arsenal or Chelsea couldn't offer.

City are currently entering that sustainable period since we broke even in last season's books. We aren't allowed to be unsustainable any more since FFP does clamp down on that.

And FFP is making sure you focus on this side of things is it not?

Rather than throwing £100m each season without the club itself having the cash to do so FFP encourages this long term planning. So essentially it is working it is keeping you safe and forcing you to be ran within your own means.

That said' date=' sustainable growth isn't possible. If you invest in youth and start to produce some good players, bigger clubs just buy them off you. Look at Southampton - had an excellent season last season and their reward was losing their manager and 5 of their best players. They managed to survive that and have excelled again this season. Their likely reward? Losing their manager and several of their best players. It's farcical.[/quote']

Arsenal have shown exactly how to grow sustainably, say what you want about Wenger but he's done very well to get the club in this position. They sell a lot of star players but still operate at a good level.

It's not FFP's fault that clubs sell players to better clubs. Without FFP Southampton would still sell their better players to better clubs the difference is that bigger clubs could spend even sillier amounts to make sure of it.

This is when clubs go smart like Dortmund' date=' Roma, Benfica, Porto etc do to the big boys, you can buy but you pay 40 mil then they find 5mil youngster and pocket 35mil to invest

look at Roma when they brought Marquinho for 2-3mil, sold 32mil - 30mil profit and they Invested

They build up the wealth[/quote']

Yes, but one or two bad buys and you're suddenly not a very good side any more. It's not fair that clubs should have to operate like that when the biggest clubs can make £30m+ cock ups and can forget about it.

I disagree' date=' I don't think Man City without Mansour would sustain top 10 in the premier league, it's too competitive and you'd lose too many players too quickly to be there.[/quote']

We'd get paid for those players y'know. The sponsorships would also all still exist until the end of their contracts and they're pretty large.

I'm not saying he would leave I'm merely pointing out why FFP exists' date=' because if he did leave you'd be in big trouble, UEFA want to make sure clubs don't get a sugar daddy who gets bored.[/quote']

And because FFP doesn't take debt into account, it's totally unfit for purpose in that regard. It doesn't take debt into consideration because clubs like United, Real and Barca would have thrown a wobbly.

Without Mansour you'd lose your biggest investors in a heartbeat. They are only interested in the club because of what Mansour is doing' date=' if he goes the investment would dry up faster than water in the Sahara.

What does Manchester City, just the club, have to offer these investors without Mansour backing you? Nothing that United, Arsenal or Chelsea couldn't offer.[/quote']

We wouldn't lose them in a heartbeat as they've signed a contract for a given number of seasons.

City wouldn't be able to compete with those clubs without Mansour, but I'm pretty sure we could compete with the likes of Southampton, Stoke and Swansea who are currently around the top 10. There's a large fanbase here, large stadium and big city.

And FFP is making sure you focus on this side of things is it not?

Rather than throwing £100m each season without the club itself having the cash to do so FFP encourages this long term planning. So essentially it is working it is keeping you safe and forcing you to be ran within your own means.

That would always have been the goal. Why would Mansour have put his hand in his own pocket if sponsorships could help cover the cost? The introduction of FFP has hastened that though' date=' no doubt.

Arsenal have shown exactly how to grow sustainably, say what you want about Wenger but he's done very well to get the club in this position. They sell a lot of star players but still operate at a good level.

It's not FFP's fault that clubs sell players to better clubs. Without FFP Southampton would still sell their better players to better clubs the difference is that bigger clubs could spend even sillier amounts to make sure of it.

Really? Arsenal? OK, let's see. Arsenal got to the top exactly how City did, just a bit earlier. They had a £50m investment from Danny Fiszman that allowed them to buy players like Bergkamp, Vieira and Anelka and give lucrative contracts to them and the home grown players like Seaman and Adams. That money directly took them to their doubles in 1998 and 2002.

That success then allowed Arsenal to build an enormous stadium and their location in London allows them to charge a fortune for tickets (another reason why FFP is unfair), giving them one of the biggest matchday incomes in the world. How can a small club looking to replicate sustainable growth mimic that?

Those matchday incomes have been used to partially offset player sales in the time they've been fully paying off their stadium in order to keep them in the money trough that's the CL. Their actual success in that period is limited to a single FA Cup last season. They haven't been growing at all, just sustaining themselves until they paid off the ground.

On Southampton, without FFP they'd have been great candidates for investment. Not necessarily silly money but enough to give their good young players decent contracts like the big clubs could offer and maybe some transfers to fill in the gaps. That could propel them into Europe where that income would make them sustainable at that level.

Look at clubs like Villa and Hull. Owners that desperately want to sell yet there are no buyers as football now has absolutely no return for investors. That's ruining those clubs as their owners just aren't interested any more.

Just had at a score on Klopp to be your next boss at 8/1 seems very likely now as Dortmund have called a press conference at lunch time today.

Can't see where else he would go as he fits the City bill perfectly.

I think Klopp would be a good appointment for City and his style of football would certainly suit the players you currently have, Pellegrini is living on borrowed time after the poor season you have had.

Just had at a score on Klopp to be your next boss at 8/1 seems very likely now as Dortmund have called a press conference at lunch time today.

I think Klopp would be a good appointment for City and his style of football would certainly suit the players you currently have' date=' Pellegrini is living on borrowed time after the poor season you have had.[/quote']

If he does indeed go to city, i could see a couple of players following him (and the $$$), id say Hummels and Gundogan would be the more likely to find regular time at City, especially under Klopp.

If he does indeed go to city' date=' i could see a couple of players following him (and the $$$), id say Hummels and Gundogan would be the more likely to find regular time at City, especially under Klopp.[/quote']

Was thinking more Hummels and potentially Reus myself.

Look a little closer to home mate. Your kidding youself if you think Klopp is the perfect guy for City. If anything' date=' he is just righ for your useless lot.

City need a much bigger and more aggressive manager then Klopp. Agree Pellikon is living on borrowed time no doubt, but Klopp to me does not fit the bill at all for City, Im Sure even stew would agree with me on that.

Arsenal a still in deserpate need of a change in managerial, and Klopp would be the perfect man to take them on. Just because arsenal are sitting in second does not mean there fine by any means. Remember them mid season and earlier on? [/color']

Was thinking more Hummels and potentially Reus myself.

I feel like Reus would have more competition from teams like Real, Barca, and potentially even the likes of United.

If they were all to make an even deal for Reus, i highly doubt his first choice would be City, even with Klopp leading them. I'd see him more willing to go to a proven juggernaut of a team, like a Real Madrid, where he knows he can win trophies both nationally and internationally, where as city hasnt proven themselfs much internationally so this could be a big factor on his final choice.

Then again,with Klopp on the lead he could convice City to make a stuipidly convenient deal for Reus, a deal he just cant refuse, but considering the competition in the market for him, and his current paycheck, it'd probably have to be a double figure offer. Will city really spend that much on just 1 player?

I see it more likely they go for a Eriksen/Muniain/Tadic/Calhanoglu type of player a proven player that has margins to get better and that cant be bought & mantained for a relatively fair fee.

Especially since i doubt Dortmund will be all right with giving both Hummels and Reus to the same team in the same transfer window.

I feel like Reus would have more competition from teams like Real' date=' Barca, and potentially even the likes of United.

If they were all to make an even deal for Reus, i highly doubt his first choice would be City, even with Klopp leading them. I'd see him more willing to go to a proven juggernaut of a team, like a Real Madrid, where he knows he can win trophies both nationally and internationally, where as city hasnt proven themselfs much internationally so this could be a big factor on his final choice.

Then again,with Klopp on the lead he could convice City to make a stuipidly convenient deal for Reus, a deal he just cant refuse, but considering the competition in the market for him, and his current paycheck, it'd probably have to be a double figure offer. Will city really spend that much on just 1 player?

I see it more likely they go for a Eriksen/Muniain/Tadic/Calhanoglu type of player a proven player that has margins to get better and that cant be bought & mantained for a relatively fair fee.

Especially since i doubt Dortmund will be all right with giving both Hummels and Reus to the same team in the same transfer window.[/quote']

I dunno, I can see City offering mega bucks for a double swoop of Hummels & Reus, maybe even offering Dzeko go the other way.

If Klopp joined City I could also see De Bruyne returning to the Prem.

Remember them mid season and earlier on?

There's a saying here in Sweden.. Don't throw stones when you're sitting in a glass house..

Who are you as a united supporter to call out an arsenal supporter on how the team has performed earlier during this season?

Does MK Dons ring a bell? Just to name one of many catastrophic games from, and I shall use your favourite term, your useless lot this season?

Look a little closer to home mate. Your kidding youself if you think Klopp is the perfect guy for City. If anything' date=' he is just righ for your useless lot.

City need a much bigger and more aggressive manager then Klopp. Agree Pellikon is living on borrowed time no doubt, but Klopp to me does not fit the bill at all for City, Im Sure even stew would agree with me on that.

Arsenal a still in deserpate need of a change in managerial, and Klopp would be the perfect man to take them on. Just because arsenal are sitting in second does not mean there fine by any means. Remember them mid season and earlier on? [/color']

LOL what a load of nonsense.

City need a much bigger and more aggressive manager then Klopp. Agree Pellikon is living on borrowed time no doubt' date=' but Klopp to me does not fit the bill at all for City, [b']Im Sure even stew would agree with me on that.[/b]

Exciting stuff. Not many better managers around so I hope he is coming our way. I think Reus would add something we really lack currently.

Banter Claus

Real question is will next manager has Stability? That's why I don't think you get Klopp and Guardiola

Guardiola need an already built team

How on earth can you make that statement when he has only ever managed two clubs. And although those teams were already "built", he most certainly developed both to his own liking, and has been extremely succesful with both.

I'd say Guardiola needs the autonomy to experiment with all kinds of new and interesting tactics more than anything else. Not sure Premier League is the most suitable place for that, given the competitiveness of the league and the amount of negative feedback he'd receive after each unsuccessful experiment.

I'd say Guardiola needs the autonomy to experiment with all kinds of new and interesting tactics more than anything else. Not sure Premier League is the most suitable place for that' date=' given the competitiveness of the league and the amount of negative feedback he'd receive after each unsuccessful experiment.[/quote']

I'm sure he'll want to manage in the premier league one day. He's conquered Spain, on top of Germany, and I reckon he'll be keen to rival Mourinho's champions league record with different clubs.

I think Klopps perfect for City, Guardiola is a partial risk knowing that City need some major freshening up, Klopps had experience taking teams needing an overhaul. I think it's hard to judge Klopp on this season as managers get to a point after being at a club for a fair amount of time where it becomes stale and they need a fresh challenge. Plus I think long term Klopp is the perfect manager to take advantage of your much improved youth recruitment and facilities.

Apparently he wants some time out but as we saw with Guardiola it won't last long, if City come calling he'll move for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you took Benitez for a season before going for Klopp.

How on earth can you make that statement when he has only ever managed two clubs. And although those teams were already "built"' date=' he most certainly developed both to his own liking, and has been extremely succesful with both.[/quote']

Guardiola never had to go big in the transfer market and buy 4/5 key players, he had a built Barcelona side and when people realised he only had plan A, he stopped for a year.

Bayern, didn't need to do much at all

Guardiola never had to go big in the transfer market and buy 4/5 key players' date=' he had a built Barcelona side and when people realised he only had plan A, he stopped for a year.

Bayern, didn't need to do much at all[/quote']

Yeah but give me an example where he has bought 4/5 players and failed. Exactly there are none so such a statement cannot be made, regardless of the circumstances he was under at his only two clubs to date.

I'm sure he'll want to manage in the premier league one day. He's conquered Spain' date=' on top of Germany, and I reckon he'll be keen to rival Mourinho's champions league record with different clubs.[/quote']

Does he though? Or right now? If I were like him (a tactics geek who just wants to test out his wacky new ideas), I'd steer far away from the premier league.

I mean his ideas are brilliant, but while experimenting there will be lots of failures. And that's okay, that's the messy nature of invention. Competitive football doesn't tolerate failures though.

I think Klopps perfect for City' date=' Guardiola is a partial risk knowing that City need some major freshening up, Klopps had experience taking teams needing an overhaul. I think it's hard to judge Klopp on this season as managers get to a point after being at a club for a fair amount of time where it becomes stale and they need a fresh challenge. Plus I think long term Klopp is the perfect manager to take advantage of your much improved youth recruitment and facilities.

Apparently he wants some time out but as we saw with Guardiola it won't last long, if City come calling he'll move for sure. [b']I wouldn't be surprised if you took Benitez for a season before going for Klopp.[/b]

I think after Benitez's experience with Chelsea he'll be more wary of being used as a stopgap.

Does he though? Or right now? If I were like him (a tactics geek who just wants to test out his wacky new ideas)' date=' I'd steer far away from the premier league.

I mean his ideas are brilliant, but while experimenting there will be lots of failures. And that's okay, that's the messy nature of invention. Competitive football doesn't tolerate failures though.[/quote']

As I said, one day. Not necessarily now as you make a good point.

Yeah but give me an example where he has bought 4/5 players and failed. Exactly there are none so such a statement cannot be made' date=' regardless of the circumstances he was under at his only two clubs to date.[/quote']

lol your comment a joke, you just proved my comment that Guardiola want built teams

City needs building as they are ageing