Luke Murphy: Following in the footsteps of Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, David Platt

Greetings all!

Right, I've done my search and I can't find this lad mentioned anywhere, been meaning to put up a scout (my first!) of him up for ages but haven't really had the time but on a boring afternoon at work here goes...

0,,10414~3023133,00.jpg

Name: Luke Murphy

Height: 6'2

Weight: 11st 7

Current Club: Crewe Alexandra

Previous Clubs: None

Luke Murphy is one in a series of talented Midfielders to make the first team at Crewe Alexandra having graduated from the Cheshire club's famous academy. Following in the footsteps of players as illustrious as Danny Murphy, Rob Jones, Robbie Savage, David Platt and Dean Ashton, Murphy now has the chance to prove himself as a professional footballer and potentially secure a move to a bigger side in the future.

0,,10414~3675243,00.jpg

Last season:

Appearences: 3 (6 as a sub)

Goals: 1

I watched Murphy at the Alexandra Stadium score his first goal for Crewe against Hartlepool (a cracker from beyond the edge of the box, unfortunately can't find it on YouTube but if anyone can pull it from somewhere I'd be grateful) and on two other occasions (one start, on sub appearence). During Crewe's mid-season upturn in form he made the midfield look energetic and lively, something which I can tell you it has not been for a while. He is an atypical, hard-working CM who, whilst still quite sleight, did not seem afraid to put his foot in. After a period of being involved with the first team fairly regularly, Murphy wasn't involved in the closing stages of the season when Crewe fell away and were eventually relegated to League 2.

I haven't replicated his bio on the official site here but if you want to read it you can through this link.

Prospects for next seaon:

Following relegation to League Two, Crewe manager Gudjon Thordasen has been forced to take stock and has released a huge number of players, signing only two new ones thus far. Murphy has not been amongst the released. Coming through the academy Murphy will not be on a particulary high wage and with the need to reduce costs ever-present at the club, don't be surprised to still see him there come the season opener. Over the next two seasons I would expect him to feature more and more as Gudjon bloods him into the team.

On SM:

Murphy is currently rated 70 and therefore carries the 10k price tag. He is by no means a sure bet for the future and with Crewe's relegation, even if he features next season I would expect a maximum raise of +4 with +1 or 2 really more likely. He's not, therefore, a money-maker. What he is is another in a long-line of successful academy products who have made it to bigger and better clubs (just this week in fact as you can read here) Personally I think he's one of the better prospects to come out of the academy in recent history and more patient managers might be rewarded with a move to a bigger club in coming seasons.

Re: Luke Murphy: Following in the footsteps of Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, David Pla

Cheers for the comments guys, appreciate it. Not claiming that I'm going to be prolific or anything but looks like I'm going to be watching League 2 football next year so if I see anyone who stands out I'll probably do a similar post. Of course, will be looking to keep Murphy's post update too to make it easier to track if he's going to make it or not.

• 1 month later...

Re: Luke Murphy: Following in the footsteps of Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, David Pla

Quick update, obviously not much happening while football is away for its summer holidays but couple of things to note for those who bought Murphy following this post or have at least got him on their shortlists.

Following this link will take you to the BBC's preview page for League Two clubs (not a bad place to get a few names by the way - I haven't got time to go through and write a scout for the more interesting, less well known ones on there). Scroll down and you'll see the Crewe preview, Murphy and some of his fellow youngsters are tipped to feature more.

The article on this link is another one from the BBC from a little earlier in the summer where new Crewe Assistant boss Steve Davis is talking up the young players chances.

Crewe have still made relatively few signings, leading to the depleted squad I talked about in the first post and a real increased chance that Murphy will start to feature heavily.

Just a reminder - he's not one to buy if you're after a quick buck. Any raise will be minor (somewere between 1 and 4 at a guess). Murphy is a more speculative buy based on the fact that, sooner or later, good players at Crewe move on to bigger and better things.

• 1 month later...

Sell Or Keep?

If Keep Why?

Will He Rise?

If Yes, What To?

If The Answer Is Sell, Dont Answer Any Of These :P

Sell Or Keep?

If Keep Why?

Will He Rise?

If Yes' date=' What To?

If The Answer Is Sell, Dont Answer Any Of These :P[/quote']

Murphy has started a couple and come on as sub in other games for Crewe this season. Early signs are he will probably be used mainly from the bench.

Sell or keep will depend on your strategy as a manager. I still stand by my statement that he's potentially one of the best midfielders at the club and could go on to better things eventually but we could be talking years and like I said, he's not one to buy if you're just after a money maker.

On appearances and goals since last review he should get a rise to 72 in my opinion but I find lower league ratings quite hard to predict on here. He could just as easily stay at 70.

As I said, he's a speculative one for mid-level clubs.