Liverpool to sign Glen Johnson

Liverpool Premature In Announcing Signing Of Glen Johnson From Portsmouth

Liverpool may have gotten ahead of themselves in announcing the signing of Glen Johnson from Portsmouth

Based on reports in the press regarding Liverpool's attempted signing of Glen Johnson from Portsmouth, it seemed that it was a done deal with nothing left but to make it official.

However, Liverpool appear to have let something slip, through the medium of their online store, by including the right-back's surname in the list of those available to be printed on the back of a Reds strip.

By checking the drop-down menu in the club's online shop, the evident inclusion of 'Johnson TBC' would suggest that a transfer announcement is imminent.

Chelsea were among those interested in the England international's signature, but with Johnson admitting to the press that he was uncomfortable during his time at Stamford Bridge, it doesn't come as a huge surprise that Liverpool became the favourites to tie the player down.

Johnson is expected to be one of the first big signings to arrive at Anfield this summer, as Rafa Benitez looks to drop a lot of dead weight to free up finances to front a stronger team next season.

Could this mean he has signed or could Liverpool have done a Chelsea ?

Re: Liverpool to sign Glen Johnson

Liverpool Premature In Announcing Signing Of Glen Johnson From Portsmouth

Liverpool may have gotten ahead of themselves in announcing the signing of Glen Johnson from Portsmouth

Based on reports in the press regarding Liverpool's attempted signing of Glen Johnson from Portsmouth' date=' it seemed that it was a done deal with nothing left but to make it official.

However, Liverpool appear to have let something slip, through the medium of their online store, by including the right-back's surname in the list of those available to be printed on the back of a Reds strip.

By checking the drop-down menu in the club's online shop, the evident inclusion of 'Johnson TBC' would suggest that a transfer announcement is imminent.

Chelsea were among those interested in the England international's signature, but with Johnson admitting to the press that he was uncomfortable during his time at Stamford Bridge, it doesn't come as a huge surprise that Liverpool became the favourites to tie the player down.

Johnson is expected to be one of the first big signings to arrive at Anfield this summer, as Rafa Benitez looks to drop a lot of dead weight to free up finances to front a stronger team next season.

Could this mean he has signed or could Liverpool have done a Chelsea ?[/quote']

Glen Johnson is going to do a medical at Mersyside soon.

Good times' date=' i rate the lad and think he will play well for us.[/quote']

Hes a great signing, I'v rated him since his West Ham days and he just didn't get the chance at Chelski with Ferreira keeping him out of the side, 17 mill is a bit over the top, but Pompy still owe us from the Crouch transfer so that takes it down to about 10 mill I believe.

why are liverpool even thinking about johnson ? it's at least another 1 striker they need not selling two defenders to buy one ! i think it's just another top four finish for liverpool and a nice run in the cups..... the dawg

Need another striker? shows how much you know. Torres alone upfront is the key. We can get a second striker, a bench warmer, on the cheap.

I think he would be a good purchase...and am glad to see some more British talent coming in.

I agree in part with the comment about a Bench warmer striker - I would like to see some more talented youngsters ready to step in, but need to bear in mind what happens if Torres is sidelined for any period again, as I can really see anyone in the squad at the moment that could hold the frontlone on their own.

Still very optimistic for next year though.....

I think he will still join Liverpool, Portsmouth have accepted both bids and have left Johnson to decide which club he prefers and indications shows he is not comfortable going back to Chelsea.

In reality Portsmouth are just paying back Johnson, by accepting both bids they are ultimately giving him the platform to negiotate a few extra 1,000's a week on his wages as a thank you for him signing a new contract last January to ensure that Portsmouth would get top dollar for him (£17mil!). It is no secret that had Johnson not have signed the contract extension 6months ago that he would be leaving for Liverpool/Chelsea for a good few million less...

Hes a great signing' date=' I'v rated him since his West Ham days and he just didn't get the chance at Chelski with Ferreira keeping him out of the side, 17 mill is a bit over the top, but Pompy still owe us from the Crouch transfer so that takes it down to about 10 mill I believe.[/quote']

17 mill LMAO no way is he worth that & Arbeloa is the better defender, although Johnson is slightly better goin' forward.