Bundesliga Analysis & Predictions 2008/2009

Phil (GT)

Re: Bundesliga Analysis & Predictions 2008/2009

Do u think wolfsburg will be able to retain their strikers after a great sason ' date=' both scored goals for fun & do they have any1 in reserve if they sell both ?[/quote']

i think wolfsburg will hold onto grafite because he is 30 and i dont think many clubs will be willing to pay good money for him. as for dzeko i think he'll go sfter this season. but who knows last season could have just been a fluke for them and their club:)

Cheers Phil' date=' so you think that the Benders aren't worth buying? If I was to buy one which one would you recommend :)[/quote']

Both are good and definitely talented' date=' but I don't see them getting regular games at their respective clubs for now. Sven at Dortmund has Kehl, who definitely plays when fit, Tinga, Hummels, Feulner and Sahin ahead of him, who all play/can play in his position, and is playing for the reserves in the 3. Liga currently. Lars, who moved to Leverkusen today already, probably won't play much as well as Rolfes, Vidal and maybe even Reinartz are preferred over him in the DM position.

They seemed like must-buys a year ago, but for now, I rather see them dropping than rising tbh, but long-term, I'm still convinced that they can hit 90+ some day.[/quote']

I disagree with Phill!!! :eek:

At least on the Lars Bender issue. I think he WILL rise and is a MUST buy. There's no doubting his class, if Leverkusen didn't think he's play some part this season, albeit probably a minor role but why would they pay more to 1860 Munich to bring him to the club NOW, a year prior to what was originally agree (2010) if they didn't need him?!?

The Leverkusen coach, , thinks he's a huge talent and eventhough I agree with Phil's comment that he faces stiff competition from Rolfes and Vidal for that CM/DM spots but I think he can be 3rd choice ahead of Reinartz, who I think is more suited to CB than DM tbh.

Anyway, if he you don't get him now and he starts getting games/minutes for Leverkusen then he will make headlines and you might face competition from other managers and potentially miss out on him. :o

I've tried to sign both of them in as many setups as I could and I'm CERTAIN I won't regret it. Long term I think they are both 90+ material, although I regard Lars as the more complete and talented player.

I think the likes of the Benders, Khedira, Marin, Ozil, Howedes, Tasci are the future of the German NT. ;)

Herby

Herby, I think you need to know a bit more of the background behind Lars' signing. In the first instance, it was Lars' explicit wish to play with his brother, or at least as near as possible. It must be some kind of twin connection or something, but both said they felt extremely uncomfortable after Sven's move to Dortmund, and now, they are at least living together again.

Leverkusen, and my full respect goes out to them for that, were aware of the 'pain' that Lars suffered (and so did 1860 knowing that he wouldn't do as well being separated from his brother) and already signed him earlier although they had to pay quite a bit more.

I still don't think that either of them will play a major role at their respective club this season, but the future definitely belongs to them.

PS: I don't really know why you said you disagree with me, as we were having the same opinion in most of the points raised, expect for the rise or no rise issue.

By the looks of things Ozil isn't really a replacement for Diego. Marin is playing right and Ozil is still playing left. So his position might again change to LM/AM

They are playing a similar system like last season, with 2 defensive-minded midfielders (last year Baumann and Frings, now Frings and Borowski), and two offensive-minded midfielders (last year Diego and Özil, now Özil and Marin), who are neither real wingers nor real play-makers, I think the positions are fine as they are, maybe AM/Winger might be position closest to what they're both playing, but they definitely are too offensive to be 'only' a left-mid and a right-mid.

The formation suiting Bremen the most would be th 4-2-2-2 system, where you can't really tell if the 2 men behind the strikers are wide or central midfielders.

Hey Phil I've just seen that three of the strikers I was contemplating ob buying, Derdiyok, Bobadilla and Barrios have all started both games for their clubs. I see that Derdiyok is playing ahead of Helmes is that because of injury, and if he returns will Derdiyok drop out of the team? I'd be grateful for some opininons on who to buy as I've been leaning towards Derdiyok since I've followed him for ages now but I want one of these as a backup-backup striker who could potentially rise. Thanks

Derdiyok is currently playing because Helmes is out injured for about half a year, but considering the playing time he should get until the changes would warrant a +1 probably, depending on the performances. Once Helmes is back and reaches his form of last season again (if he does), I'm pretty certain he'll keep Derdiyok out of the team.

I can't comment much on Bobadilla, but Gladbach were/are putting high hopes on him solving the striker problem, Gladbach had one of the worst goalscoring records last season.

Barrios has done really well in pre-season, but has struggled a bit in the first 2 Bundesliga games. However, I'm convinced he'll settle in well at Dortmund and will score quite a couple of goals.

Maybe ask me again once the German changes are coming nearer, but for now Derdiyok is the one who's the most 'certain' to rise, which would still leave him on the same level as the other two though.

Herby' date=' I think you need to know a bit more of the background behind Lars' signing. In the first instance, it was Lars' explicit wish to play with his brother, or at least as near as possible. It must be some kind of twin connection or something, but both said they felt extremely uncomfortable after Sven's move to Dortmund, and now, they are at least living together again.

Leverkusen, and my full respect goes out to them for that, were aware of the 'pain' that Lars suffered (and so did 1860 knowing that he wouldn't do as well being separated from his brother) and already signed him earlier although they had to pay quite a bit more.

I still don't think that either of them will play a major role at their respective club this season, but the future definitely belongs to them.

[b']PS: I don't really know why you said you disagree with me, as we were having the same opinion in most of the points raised, expect for the rise or no rise issue.[/b]

Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to upset you :o and I didn't disagree with you on the whole. I am/was actually aware of the personal issues behind the transfer but I also read that Heynckes was keen to sign him earlier rather than later (he said in an interview that he saw Lars as a future super star so he obviously thinks he's good enough to break into the team :D). Having said that, I read that he's been left out of this w/end's squad but that's understandable since he's only trained with his new team mates twice.

The part of your post that I DO disagree with was 'I see them dropping rather than rising tbh' :eek::eek:

Sorry mate, I just don't agree and even if the twins get no playing time, I doubt SM will drop them lower than their current 82 & 83 ratings.

Personally, I think with injuries (especially to Kehl), suspensions and cup/european games I CAN see them getting some time on the pitch and rising to 84/85. :rolleyes:

Let's see who's right and wrong come May 2010. :D

Herby

Bayern's luck runs out; they lose to Mainz (of all teams) 1-2! :D

Looking at their lineup, it seems Schweinsteiger played as the AM, with Pranjic & Altintop as the wingers, and Braafheid getting his first start at LB. Also, were the two first-half substitutions tactical, or due to injury?

Looking at their lineup' date=' it seems Schweinsteiger played as the AM, with Pranjic & Altintop as the wingers, and Braafheid getting his first start at LB. Also, were the two first-half substitutions tactical, or due to injury?[/quote']

Bayern played like that:

----------------Gomez-------------

------------Klose------------------

Pranjic----------------------Altintop

--------Schweini-----Tymo---------

-----------------------------------

Braafheid-Badstuber-v.Buyten-Lahm

--------------Rensing--------------

4-5-1

Klose as a hanging forward.

The subs were because of very very poor playing.

It was one of the worst first half I've ever seen of Bayern.

Even last year CL against Barcelona was not that bad.

There you could have said that Barca was too good, but this you cannot say about Mainz.

Rensing again with a bad mistake by the first goal. Every partly good keeper would have had this ball.

The defense around van Buyten looked like a bunch of chicken. Too much space for Mainz.

A very deserved win for Mainz. Only two goals too low.

Did I forget anything?

Yes: Worst start of the season for Bayern since 1966 :D

Looking at their lineup' date=' it seems Schweinsteiger played as the AM, with Pranjic & Altintop as the wingers, and Braafheid getting his first start at LB. Also, were the two first-half substitutions tactical, or due to injury?[/quote']

Oh, wie ist das schön

Oh, wie ist das schön

So was hat man lange nicht gesehn

So schön, so schön!

Zwei, drei, vier

Oh, wie ist das schön

Oh, wie ist das schön

So was hat man lange nicht gesehn

So schön, so schön!

So ein Tag,

so wunderschön wie heute,

so ein Tag,

der dürfte nie vergehn.

So ein Tag,

auf den ich mich so freute,

so ein Tag,

der dürfte nie vergehn!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. I haven't seen the game yet but based on what the media has said, Tim is spot on. ;)

Bayern are in trouble .... hehe

what happened in 1966 again .... can someone remind me! :P

Herby

Bayern played like that:

----------------Gomez-------------

------------Klose------------------

Pranjic----------------------Altintop

--------Schweini-----Tymo---------

-----------------------------------

Braafheid-Badstuber-v.Buyten-Lahm

--------------Rensing--------------

4-5-1

Klose as a hanging forward.

The subs were because of very very poor playing.

It was one of the worst first half I've ever seen of Bayern.

Even last year CL against Barcelona was not that bad.

There you could have said that Barca was too good' date=' but this you cannot say about Mainz.

Rensing again with a bad mistake by the first goal. Every partly good keeper would have had this ball.

The defense around van Buyten looked like a bunch of chicken. Too much space for Mainz.

A very deserved win for Mainz. Only two goals too low.

Did I forget anything?

Yes: Worst start of the season for Bayern since 1966 :D[/quote']

Schweini as a DM?? Dear God! :eek:

Must give credit to van Gaal as far as the early subs were concerned; not many managers would've done that.

Still,...

:D :D :D

It's hard but I have to put the gloating away and have to name the 'bright spots' of Bayern.

Two names:

Olic and Thomas Müller.

Especially after the substitution of Olic, Bayern has been a lot of better and much more dangerous. The same like last week against Bremen.

IMO is Olic up to now better than Klose and I wouldn't be surprised seeing him next week in the starting XI.

Also Thomas Müller toched the ball a lot and had some chances. But it was not too difficult to impress beneath all those bad players.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now some words about my VfB Stuttgart (just who cares ;)):

Babbel rotated a lot and put some young (but talented) players in the starting XI. Schieber for Pogrebnyak. Rudy for Gebhard. Niedermeier for Tasci.

I suppose Babbel wanted to rest them for the very important CL qualification match on wednesday. But as I heard the young players have deserved their appearance because of good performances in training. Niedermeier recompensed his appearance with a goal. 1-1 in Dortmund. Not to bad.

It's hard but I have to put the gloating away and have to name the 'bright spots' of Bayern.

Two names:

Olic and Thomas Müller.

Especially after the substitution of Olic' date=' Bayern has been a lot of better and much more dangerous. The same like last week against Bremen.

IMO is Olic up to now better than Klose and I wouldn't be surprised seeing him next week in the starting XI.

Also Thomas Müller toched the ball a lot and had some chances. But it was not too difficult to impress beneath all those bad players.

-------------------------------------------------------------[/quote']

I was just going to write something similar. Both were the only spark. But as you said, that's not saying much considering how lifeless the team played.

The back 4 were absolutely shocking (and that includes everyone's beloved Lahm). van Buyten shouldn't be anywhere near the stadium (let alone the pitch). And not once in the first half did Gomez track back to even pretend to play D, which caused all sorts of spacing problems in the midfield for Bayern.

I can't give van Gaal ANY credit for subbing in Olic and Müller before the 40th min. His team goes down 2-0 to a newly promoted Mainz and he panicked and went to a 4-2-4. I think any 12-yr old on SM would have done the same thing. Furthermore, his move didn't even result in a draw.

Wolfsburg lose to Hamburg 2-4 at home, Misimovic and Martins for Wolfsburg, Guerrero, Elia, petric, and Castelen for Hamburg.

Looking at squad sheets, i've noticed that Guerrero has started over Berg in all 3 games so far. Is this Labaddia's plan? Or is he just giving Berg some time to adjust to his surroundings before putting him as a regular?

Wolfsburg lose to Hamburg 2-4 at home' date=' Misimovic and Martins for Wolfsburg, Guerrero, Elia, petric, and Castelen for Hamburg.

Looking at squad sheets, i've noticed that Guerrero has started over Berg in all 3 games so far. Is this Labaddia's plan? Or is he just giving Berg some time to adjust to his surroundings before putting him as a regular?[/quote']

The latter situation, I'd say (who'd buy a player for 12m & proceed to bench him, except for the likes of Chelsea? :P), even though Guerrero's no run-of-the-mill striker.

Hey guys. :)

I'm in a dilemma and i hope you guys can help me out.

I need a RB for one of my teams and they are:

- Daniel Schwaab

- Peter Pekarik

I was going to buy Pekarik but he didn't play any of Wolfsburg's games. Is he injured or has he been dropped?

What rating do you think that both of them can rise to and can you reccomend me any more RB's (Rated 87 and under - Costs less that 6m) that could get a good rise in the upcoming German rating changes.

Thanks In Advance

Ibracadabra[9] :)

The latter situation' date=' I'd say (who'd buy a player for 12m & proceed to bench him, except for the likes of Chelsea? :P), even though Guerrero's no run-of-the-mill striker.[/quote']

If Hamburg, Petric and Guerrero keep up these performances, I think Marcus might be 3rd choice this season. He would still get 15-30 mins nearly every game as a sub, and he'll likely be a starter in the Europa League, in which Hamburg should go far again this year. So I don't think it's a bad situation for Berg, or Hamburg. Their squad is good enough to grab a CL spot at the end of the season, and they've certainly lived up to that so far.

Eljia looks a great acquisition!

If Hamburg' date=' Petric and Guerrero keep up these performances, I think Marcus might be 3rd choice this season. He would still get 15-30 mins nearly every game as a sub, and he'll likely be a starter in the Europa League, in which Hamburg should go far again this year. So I don't think it's a bad situation for Berg, or Hamburg. Their squad is good enough to grab a CL spot at the end of the season, and they've certainly lived up to that so far.

Eljia looks a great acquisition![/quote']

Yeah, they've looked good so far. Wasn't sure whether Labbadia would do a good job, but I don't think the fans will be complaining at the moment. ;)

Hopefully Berg can adapt quickly & start banging them in, but that's a pretty good strike force HSV have there, without doubt, and competition will be stiff. Let's not forget Tunay Torun either; he was Turkey's main threat at the U-19 tournament earlier this summer, if I recall correctly.

;722373']Hey guys. :)

I'm in a dilemma and i hope you guys can help me out.

I need a RB for one of my teams and they are:

- Daniel Schwaab

- Peter Pekarik

I was going to buy Pekarik but he didn't play any of Wolfsburg's games. Is he injured or has he been dropped?

What rating do you think that both of them can rise to and can you reccomend me any more RB's (Rated 87 and under - Costs less that 6m) that could get a good rise in the upcoming German rating changes.

Thanks In Advance

Ibracadabra[9] :)

Don't know anything about Pekarik but Wolfsburg has Riether and Zaccardo on the right back postition. Don't think Pekarik will get much game time there.

Schwaab is certainly a good one, but he also has a hard competition at Leverkusen.

I personally think J. Boateng (HSV) would be a good buy. Currently a 87 but a very good player.

Also Träsch (83) from VfB Stuttgart would be a good one. He was regular until he was injured. Very sad. Before the injury I expected a certain rise to 86/87. Now more probable is a rise to 85/86.

Celozzi (83) is another talented player of Stuttgart and now because of the injuries of Träsch and Osorio he has played two games. But he has to learn a lot to become a very good player.

Owomoyela of BVB is also a good one and likely to rise. But for better predictions of Dortmund's players ask Phil.

My personal advice: Buy Boateng.

Edit:

Sorry have forgotten that you only want to spend 6M. So Boateng might be a bit expensive. But nevertheless. Try to get him with player exchange or try to get Owomoyela.

Don't know anything about Pekarik but Wolfsburg has Riether and Zaccardo on the right back postition. Don't think Pekarik will get much game time there.

Schwaab is certainly a good one' date=' but he also has a hard competition at Leverkusen.

I personally think J. Boateng (HSV) would be a good buy. Currently a 87 but a very good player.

Also Träsch (83) from VfB Stuttgart would be a good one. He was regular until he was injured. Very sad. Before the injury I expected a certain rise to 86/87. Now more probable is a rise to 85/86.

Celozzi (83) is another talented player of Stuttgart and now because of the injuries of Träsch and Osorio he has played two games. But he has to learn a lot to become a very good player.

Owomoyela of BVB is also a good one and likely to rise. But for better predictions of Dortmund's players ask Phil.

My personal advice: Buy Boateng.[/quote']

Pekarik did enough last season to warrant a rise of 1 or 2, in my opinion (with +1 being likelier). Owomoyela should rise by at least 2 in the next changes, but, as you've pointed out, Boateng would probably be the best choice overall.

Schwaab is certainly a good one' date=' but he also has a hard competition at Leverkusen.

My personal advice: Buy Boateng.

Edit:

Sorry have forgotten that you only want to spend 6M. So Boateng might be a bit expensive. But nevertheless. Try to get him with player exchange or try to get Owomoyela.[/quote']

Thanks timsele. :)

I'll be getting Jerome Boateng.:)

I already have Stefano in my team and Träsch has been taken.

Edit: I need to spread before i can give it to you.