How Sir Alex should spend his £80 million

Jim Iley

Re: How Sir Alex should spend his £80 million

why replace hargreaves haha Who is he? really man united should be amongst europes elite for the big playes instead of signing young players to develop although ronaldo did pay off will any other player have the potential to develop in such a short space of time? Really depending on if he wants to go for inexperience in rb he would pick rafael hell also have to cater for the departure of scholes when it arrives and also van der sar berbatov? not doing too much and will become third striker when alex brings in someone else..

I think Sir Alex needs a winger, and another forward. If he shifts say £40million for two players, he can use the rest of the money on retiring. :P Well you did say it was his money!

The Ronaldo money should be spent on

Aguero (Atletico) £45m - replacement for Tevez

Mata (Valencia) £20m - replacement for Ronaldo

Felipe Melo (Fiorentina) £15m - replacement for Hargreaves

Give them time to gel and the whole team would be stronger as a whole.

Speaking of gel, how badly has the gel industry been affected in Manchester now Ronaldo has left? Also any major surges in Madrid yet? :D

I think United need a creative midfielder. Liverpool - Gerrard. Chelsea - Lampard. Arsenal - Fabregas. United have good midfielders, but all quiute defensive. Hargreaves, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson - Giggs and Scholes will be another year older so I think someone like Moutinho would be a good buy. Also a goalscorer, like a Ruud Van Nistelrooy type of player. Neither Rooney or Berbatov are the type of player who get in the box and score those "easy goals". If there's any more money left then a winger, as I don't rate Nani too highly..

I think United need a creative midfielder. Liverpool - Gerrard. Chelsea - Lampard. Arsenal - Fabregas. United have good midfielders' date=' but all quiute defensive. Hargreaves, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson - Giggs and Scholes will be another year older so I think someone like Moutinho would be a good buy. Also a goalscorer, like a Ruud Van Nistelrooy type of player. Neither Rooney or Berbatov are the type of player who get in the box and score those "easy goals". If there's any more money left then a winger, as I don't rate Nani too highly..[/quote']

I agree with this, although I wouldn't call Anderson defensive.

So they need an attack-minded creative midfielder (perhaps Anderson could take role but I don't think he's good enough), or Carrick could take a more advanced role and Ferguson can buy a defensive midfielder instead.

A clinical striker is also needed, and another winger because as you said Nani isn't very good. Or they could try Tosic.

I agree with this' date=' although I wouldn't call Anderson defensive.

So they need an attack-minded creative midfielder (perhaps Anderson could take role but I don't think he's good enough), or Carrick could take a more advanced role and Ferguson can buy a defensive midfielder instead.

A clinical striker is also needed, and another winger because as you said Nani isn't very good. Or they could try Tosic.[/quote']

i wouldnt call anderson offensive either 0 goals from open play last season:D

i wouldnt call anderson offensive either 0 goals from open play last season:D

0 goals at all in two seasons actually. I don't count penalties in shootouts. ;)

That's why I've said many times before, he doesn't deserve to be rated 91.

Edit: Anyway, if he does play more offensive this season, he can't do much worse goal/assist-wise than he did in the last couple of years.

As has been said above, United have no flare players. Liverpool have Gerrard etc, since Ronaldo has left they no longer have those players that "make things happen". So I would be looking towards buying a really good flare player, either a winger or an AM. Ill leave the rest to you guys to stick names to that criterea.

0 goals at all in two seasons actually. I don't count penalties in shootouts. ;)

That's why I've said many times before' date=' he doesn't deserve to be rated 91.

Edit: Anyway, if he does play more offensive this season, he can't do much worse goal/assist-wise than he did in the last couple of years.[/quote']

yeah someone who has 1 goal in 59 matches deserves to be rated 94...

And before you say he is not good enough to play offensively you had better check out some articles about the damage he can create if allowed to play in the role...:rolleyes:

yeah someone who has 1 goal in 59 matches deserves to be rated 94...

Who's that?

And before you say he is not good enough to play offensively you had better check out some articles about the damage he can create if allowed to play in the role...:rolleyes:

Okay' date=' I'll read some subjective articles about his [i']potential[/i] to create damage and how good he was in the U-17 World Cup four years ago.

Secondly, I know he's not good enough because I've watched him play every game for Man United for two seasons, be it live or on MotD, so I know what I'm talking about when I say he's not living up to the potential. Despite his less-advanced, more unnatural central midfield position, 0 goals in 51 games is almost inconcievable considering he used to play as a striker and an attacking midfielder previously.

And please don't give me any rubbish about his potential in relation to his rating. His rating should be based on ability and stats, not potential and merit. In that sense, he doesn't deserve the 91.

Who's that?

Okay' date=' I'll read some subjective articles about his [i']potential[/i] to create damage and how good he was in the U-17 World Cup four years ago.

Secondly, I know he's not good enough because I've watched him play every game for Man United for two seasons, be it live or on MotD, so I know what I'm talking about when I say he's not living up to the potential. Despite his less-advanced, more unnatural central midfield position, 0 goals in 51 games is almost inconcievable considering he used to play as a striker and an attacking midfielder previously.

And please don't give me any rubbish about his potential in relation to his rating. His rating should be based on ability and stats, not potential and merit. In that sense, he doesn't deserve the 91.

you are clearly lying when you say you have watched every game he has played because last season when he came in for Carrick I think it was when he was injured and was top draw. And please don't give me any rubbish about the goals. More goals does not mean a better player. His tally is very much understandable as he at times he does not even go up for corners. Considering the position he plays for completely unknown to him when he signed for us he has done a tremendous job. Attributes like Strength,passing and pace are why he is just brilliant and fully deserves 91 if not higher. If his rating was based on potential he would be much higher.

You know he is not good enough offensively because for 2 years you have seen him play Central midfield.

And yeah I am talking about Javier Mascherano who's scored only once for Liverpool in more game.

Where he used to play is irrelevant.

they dont need to replace hargreves. he should be fit next season.

they say he wont be fit until jan and everyone knows that he is a crock, therefore you cant plan a team with him in it due to his injuries

you are clearly lying when you say you have watched every game he has played because last season when he came in for Carrick I think it was when he was injured and was top draw.

I've watched almost every Man Utd match for years because they are my favourite Premiership club' date=' and I very rarely saw him play 'top draw'.

I'm not sure what he offers the team; he doesn't pass as well as Carrick, can't control the game like Carrick or Scholes and doesn't offer the defensive tenacity of Fletcher or Hargreaves. And as you mention later he doesn't offer a threat at set pieces. Even his trademark dribbling skills were seen few and far between last season and rarely led to a goal (either for him or another player).

And please don't give me any rubbish about the goals. More goals does not mean a better player. His tally is very much understandable as he at times he does not even go up for corners.

I never said more goals = better player. But as a member of the Man Utd midfield would it be unfair to ask for at least 1 goal in two seasons? I don't think so. Even Rafael, Wes Brown, Nani and Gibson scored, and they played less than 'Ando'.

Considering the position he plays for completely unknown to him when he signed for us he has done a tremendous job. Attributes like Strength' date='passing and pace are why he is just brilliant and fully deserves 91 if not higher. If his rating was based on potential he would be much higher.[/quote']

I wouldn't say does a 'tremendous job' in centre midfield. Carrick and Fletcher, and sometimes Giggs, did a tremendous job in centre midfield last season.

His 'strength' is rendered useless when he doesn't have the defensive instincts to tackle and mark somebody, or when he's not aggressive enough when he's on the attack. His passing is also not as impressive when you consider he has only made 7 assists in 51 starts and 22 sub appearances, and only 1 in the Premiership in two years.

You know he is not good enough offensively because for 2 years you have seen him play Central midfield.

I know he's not good enough offensively because every time he does go forward' date=' he disappoints.

And yeah I am talking about Javier Mascherano who's scored only once for Liverpool in more game.

I've got to admit I laughed at this one. :D

Mascherano is a deserved 94 because he's the best defensive midfielder in the world. Last time I checked his job description didn't include 'score goals'. And the one he did score for Liverpool (that's one more than Anderson), was a cracker.

Where he used to play is not irrelevant.

So it is relevant? In that case he should have scored at least once, as I mentioned previously.

-

The point I'm trying to make is, he doesn't deserve to be rated 91, ahead of players such as Fletcher who are better players, offer more to the team AND have better statistics for club and country.

He just wasn't worth the £17m pricetag and, for me as a keen Man Utd admirer, a massive disappointment in relation to the hype I heard about him when he was at Porto and Gremio and for the Brazil youth teams. Good player, unfair rating. 91 really flatters him.

I've watched almost every Man Utd match for years because they are my favourite Premiership club' date=' and I very rarely saw him play 'top draw'. [/quote']

Most of his better games came last to last season where he was fit. And sorry to say he bossed a midfield which had Fabregas at the Emirates and Gerrard at Anfield. His passing for most of the last campaign was top draw.

I'm not sure what he offers the team; he doesn't pass as well as Carrick' date=' can't control the game like Carrick or Scholes and doesn't offer the defensive tenacity of Fletcher or Hargreaves. And as you mention later he doesn't offer a threat at set pieces. Even his trademark dribbling skills were seen few and far between last season and rarely led to a goal (either for him or another player).[/quote']

Obviously Carrick is the best passer in the league and his(anderson's) passing is not as good as him. And he provides a physical presence and tremendous acceleration which none of our midfielders have. The role he plays for us does not permit him to bomb on forward as that that would leave us open. And don't put words in my mouth please. And some freekicks he has taken have been very good dangerous and whipped in with pace though admittedly he can be more consistent.

I never said more goals = better player. But as a member of the Man Utd midfield would it be unfair to ask for at least 1 goal in two seasons? I don't think so. Even Rafael' date=' Wes Brown, Nani and Gibson scored, and they played less than 'Ando'.[/quote']

Van Der Sar played more than Anderson. Did he score?

I wouldn't say does a 'tremendous job' in centre midfield. Carrick and Fletcher' date=' and sometimes Giggs, did a tremendous job in centre midfield last season.[/quote']

If you mean the season that has just gone by I would agree. But you could see the difference quite clearly when he came back. Just almost energizes the entire midfield.

His 'strength' is rendered useless when he doesn't have the defensive instincts to tackle and mark somebody' date=' or when he's not aggressive enough when he's on the attack. His passing is also not as impressive when you consider he has only made 7 assists in 51 starts and 22 sub appearances, and only 1 in the Premiership in two years.[/quote']

"His 'strength' is rendered useless when he doesn't have the defensive instincts to tackle and mark somebody, or when he's not aggressive enough when he's on the attack" Starting to wonder now if you have even seen him play? There have been innumerable instances when his strength to hold of a player has been showcased both offensively and defensively. And as far as the assists points go you are almost cracking me up here. IF you check I am sure Carrick for all his outstanding passing has quite a poor assist record. The final ball often is not the most important ball.

I know he's not good enough offensively because every time he does go forward' date=' he disappoints[/quote']

And you think every time Ronaldo goes forward he is successful in creating magic? My point is he very rarely bombs forward so when it dosen't come off it looks bad. Would be a lot fairer to judge him when he is given a chance to play as a AM for a period of time .

I've got to admit I laughed at this one. :D

Mascherano is a deserved 94 because he's the best defensive midfielder in the world. Last time I checked his job description didn't include 'score goals'. And the one he did score for Liverpool (that's one more than Anderson)' date=' was a cracker.

So it is relevant? In that case he should have scored at least once, as I mentioned previously.

-

The point I'm trying to make is, he doesn't deserve to be rated 91, ahead of players such as Fletcher who are better players, offer more to the team AND have better statistics for club and country.

He just wasn't worth the £17m pricetag and, for me as a keen Man Utd admirer, a massive disappointment in relation to the hype I heard about him when he was at Porto and Gremio and for the Brazil youth teams. Good player, unfair rating. 91 really flatters him.[/quote']

I didn't mean it was relevant. Previous post edited.

And Anderson's position also dosen't really demand goals. When you have the players like Manchester United do every player hardly needs to score. You need to a job and Anderson does that. Hence my reference to mascherano.

And as for Fletcher being better than Anderson that really did crack me up.:D

And over the next 2 years he most certainly will fulfill the 17 million we paid for him. Many people didn't expect to much of him in the first season or 2 but his performances have merited a place in the side.

I think people's expectations of Anderson are so high after that game against Arsenal in his 1st season when he made it look as though Fabregas wasn't even on the pitch - people expect him to do that every week and add a goal every few games as well.

I see most United games at some point and you can see the guy has class and will be a brilliant player in the future. He kind of reminds me of Crouch when he joined Liverpool and took ages to get a goal before eventually scoring a flukey one which led to him scoring more. I think he just needs that, a bit of luck to get his 1st goal and then more will start to come. The pressure builds on him with every game and will do so until he scores - once he does that pressure is off and I'm sure he'll be a much better player then.

I stopped reading your argument after this.

It's obviously impossible to have a serious debate with you' date=' a more disillusional Man Utd fan than I previously thought. I'm not going to waste my time any more.[/quote']

look at George's post. And plus that was a way to show that your past made as much as sense as mine which was not quite a lot. what does Anderson have to do with Nani,Gibson. Next you will be comparing him to Jay Spearing.:rolleyes: