Musical geniuses of the 20th century.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Re: Musical geniuses of the 20th century.

Hah! Green day, relying on the Goverment to push their latest two records. Yeah dude! Anti Establishment, Down with the Government, the Bureaucrats have gone behind our back man... etc. Give them what they want if they buy our stuff more like... :rolleyes:

Real Geniuses:

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley

The Beatles

Jim Morrison (the Doors)

Led Zeppelin

Bruce Springsteen

Simon & Garfunkel

Jimi Hendrix

The Who

The Mars Volta (with Flea and Jon Theodore)

Sam Cooke

Frank Sinatra

Neil Young

James Brown

The BeeGees

B.B. King

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

Queen

Afrika Bambaata

Prince Bjork

Muddy Waters

Ray Charles

Trent Reznor (but not Nine Inch Nails)

Pink Floyd

Van Morrison

Eddie Van Halen (not the band)

Johnny Cash

Miles Davis

Tom Waits

David Bowie

The Rolling Stones

Michael Jackson/Jackson 5

;)

Real Geniuses:

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley

The Beatles

Jim Morrison (the Doors)

Led Zeppelin

Bruce Springsteen

Simon & Garfunkel

Jimi Hendrix

The Who

Sam Cooke

Frank Sinatra

Neil Young

James Brown

The BeeGees

B.B. King

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

Queen

Afrika Bambaata

Prince Bjork

Muddy Waters

Ray Charles

Pink Floyd

Van Morrison

Johnny Cash

Miles Davis

Tom Waits

David Bowie

The Rolling Stones

;)

You can't have Buddy Holly and not have Chuck Berry. To quote John Lennon "If you were to try and give rock and roll another name, you could call it Chuck Berry" :)

Then again, I haven't bothered listing performing geniuses (geniuii? :P, anyhoo, I mentioned producers etc. and even that list is incomplete :o) because the list would be too long and contentious and thus I can't be bothered. For example, most of the people named so far are geniuses in the more popular music like Rock and Pop but you could just as easily come up with 20 man lists of geniuses for Reggae (excluding the oft. mentioned Marley), Jazz (excluding Davis) and Hip-Hop.

I simply cannot be bothered! :D

Real Geniuses:

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley

The Beatles

Jim Morrison (the Doors)

Led Zeppelin

Bruce Springsteen

Simon & Garfunkel

Jimi Hendrix

The Who

Sam Cooke

Frank Sinatra

Neil Young

James Brown

The BeeGees

B.B. King

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

Queen

Afrika Bambaata

Prince Bjork

Muddy Waters

Ray Charles

Pink Floyd

Van Morrison

Johnny Cash

Miles Davis

Tom Waits

David Bowie

The Rolling Stones

;)

neil young was at the isle of festival this year and was being boo'd of the stage by everyone of all ages.

neil young was at the isle of festival this year and was being boo'd of the stage by everyone of all ages.

:eek: I watched it on TV and didn't see a whole lot of booing :confused:

Also Spam, when I saw Prince Bjork, I spent about 10 mins trying to figure out who it was before I realised it was Prince AND Bjork on the same line :P

:eek: I watched it on TV and didn't see a whole lot of booing :confused:

Also Spam' date=' when I saw Prince Bjork, I spent about 10 mins trying to figure out who it was before I realised it was Prince AND Bjork on the same line :P[/quote']

Whoops! That really is one combination that you wouldn't like to see! :P

Oh, and a few that i forgot:

Journey

Zack de La Rocha

John Williams

Eric Clapton/Cream

Santana (inc.Carlos Santana)

Karl pitterson (sound engineer)

Phil Spector

Rick Rubin (produced everyone from Johnny Cash to Slayer :D)

Frank Zappa

The Allman Brothers Band

Smokey Robinson

Chuck Berry (thank's for the reminder Bob ;))

Robert Johnson

Stevie Wonder

Elbow

Aretha Franklin

The Blues Brothers Band

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Roy orbison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

John Lennon (solo)

Rod Stewart

U2

Tina Turner

Sex Pistols

Beach Boys

Marvin gaye

R.E.M.

Joy Division

Human League

Lou Reed

Iggy Pop

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Aerosmith

AC *Insert Thunderbolt Here* DC

;)

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

As I read the thread, he was asking who would be remembered in 300 years as musical icons who changed the shape of music in one way or another, not people we like neccessarily, there are too many names on a list that was meant to be people who will be remembered in 300 years. The artists all mentioned are certainly all very good but in my opinion, this wasn't what was meant, just naming people who are good, or even great, it's about people who changed the face of music.

With all due respect there are some names in here that are laughable, I won't mention them as I have offended enough people with my tongue.:P

Early Black musicians started the ball rolling for what we now call modern music, Chuck Berry, BB King, Louis Armstrong, and many many more and when people look back on this time they will clearly see that early Black music was the amino acids that kicked today's music off. Elvis Presley will be remembered for obvious reasons along with Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly etc for picking up on black music and mixing in some white rock n' roll. Then we move on to The Beatles, who paved the way for all the others and the Lennon/McCartney songwriting team were the icons of 20th century pop music along with Bob Dylan and his music. These were the guys who laid the foundations in their own respective era's and were the stepping stones to what we have today.

There were many many great talents within these boundaries, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen etc, too many to list here but essentially, the guys I have mentioned were instrumental in the development of today's music.

I have omitted great blues players like John Lee Hooker and the like, Woody Guthrie too, who were great influences on a lot of today's stars. Music is like a long tapestry and is entertwined and then goes off into too many tangents to clearly select a given artist or genre of music.

I believe that someone 300 years from now will most definitely be reading about The Beatles and Elvis Presley, these are probably the two most written about stars in the last 100 years.

Rage Against the Machine: No need for an explanation' date=' as Sam will back up.

Iron Maiden: AWESOME guitar riffs followed by insane vocals.

Killswitch Engage: Pioneers of Metalcore, and still going to![/quote']

I'll give you Maiden, but the other two I have to disagree with (especially KSE).

I'll give RATM a bit of credit for being one of the original rap metal bands, along with Stuck Mojo (although I wish Anthrax had never invented it, if I'm honest :o). In terms of influence though, all you can really give them credit for is the nu-metal scene, which pretty much died out just 5-10 years after it first emerged. As a stand-alone band, they are quality (although not to my own taste), but will they still be remembered and recognised as being among the very best in years to come? ...I'd say yes, but probably only for decades rather than centuries.

Killswitch Engage... now before I go any further, I'm not criticising their music or questioning how good they are, I just don't see what they've given us that we didn't already have before. Metalcore had already been going strong for around 10+ years before KSE even formed, nevermind released an album. And none of their material has ever really pushed the boundaries or opened any new doors (no matter how good/bad any particular person thinks it may be).

If any metalcore bands get long term recognition, surely it would be the subgenre's founders - Integrity, Earth Crisis, Biohazard, Converge etc... or maybe even Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags before that? It's debatable whether those last two can actually be considered metalcore bands, but they were certainly major influences, and Agnostic Front probably have to be credited with releasing the first metalcore album way back in 1986.

Personally, I don't see any of them getting long term recognition outside their own niche, but if any of them did, my money would be on the bands that created and helped shape the subgenre, not the followers that came along 10+ years later and got rich just by playing a rehash of what came before.

There are only three metal bands that are anywhere near well-known enough outside of metal to ever stand a chance of being remembered and respected 300 years from now. You already mentioned Iron Maiden... the other two are Black Sabbath and Metallica. The mainstream doesn't know or understand metal enough to give the lesser known bands responsible for shaping the plethora of styles/subgenres the recognition they deserve, especially over such a long time period.

Rage Against the Machine are legendary!

They made class music!

I know its a little off topic, but, thought i would post a few bands that i think some of you guys might want to check out (if you havnt heard them already):

Little Comets (One Night In October is an amazing song!)

Flamboyant Bella (Absolutely Wan***** is an imense song!)

Hell Is For Heroes

Escape The Fate (Situations is a TUNE!)

Again, sorry if i dragged this off topic. :o

Rage Against the Machine are legendary!

They made class music!

I know its a little off topic' date=' but, thought i would post a few bands that i think some of you guys might want to check out (if you havnt heard them already):

Little Comets (One Night In October is an amazing song!)

Flamboyant Bella (Absolutely Wan***** is an imense song!)

Hell Is For Heroes

Escape The Fate (Situations is a TUNE!)

Again, sorry if i dragged this off topic. :o[/quote']

Escape The Fate kick ***, try My Apocalypse, The Flood, We Won't Back Down, Theres No Sympathy For The Dead and When I Go Out, I Want To Go Out On A Chariot of Fire. Their all tunes.

Also Try Protest The Hero, he has a phenominal Voice. try Bloodmeat, Sequioa Throne and Goddess Gagged.

Oh' date=' and a few that i forgot:

Journey

Zack de La Rocha

John Williams

Eric Clapton/Cream

Santana (inc.Carlos Santana)

Karl pitterson (sound engineer)

Phil Spector

Rick Rubin (produced everyone from Johnny Cash to Slayer :D)

Frank Zappa

The Allman Brothers Band

Smokey Robinson

Chuck Berry (thank's for the reminder Bob ;))

Robert Johnson

Stevie Wonder

Elbow

Aretha Franklin

The Blues Brothers Band

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Roy orbison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

John Lennon (solo)

Rod Stewart

U2

Tina Turner

Sex Pistols

Beach Boys

Marvin gaye

R.E.M.

Joy Division

Human League

Lou Reed

Iggy Pop

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Aerosmith

AC *Insert Thunderbolt Here* DC

;)[/quote']

Is this Insider?

Great bands either way.

and Schuldiner, I've never taken Anthrax seriously after hearing the intro to Madhouse and I'm The Man :D their brilliant

As I read the thread' date=' he was asking who would be remembered in 300 years as musical icons who changed the shape of music in one way or another, not people we like neccessarily, there are too many names on a list that was meant to be people who will be remembered in 300 years. The artists all mentioned are certainly all very good but in my opinion, this wasn't what was meant, just naming people who are good, or even great, it's about people who changed the face of music.

With all due respect there are some names in here that are laughable, I won't mention them as I have offended enough people with my tongue.:P

Early Black musicians started the ball rolling for what we now call modern music, Chuck Berry, BB King, Louis Armstrong, and many many more and when people look back on this time they will clearly see that early Black music was the amino acids that kicked today's music off. Elvis Presley will be remembered for obvious reasons along with Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly etc for picking up on black music and mixing in some white rock n' roll. Then we move on to The Beatles, who paved the way for all the others and the Lennon/McCartney songwriting team were the icons of 20th century pop music along with Bob Dylan and his music. These were the guys who laid the foundations in their own respective era's and were the stepping stones to what we have today.

There were many many great talents within these boundaries, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen etc, too many to list here but essentially, the guys I have mentioned were instrumental in the development of today's music.

I have omitted great blues players like John Lee Hooker and the like, Woody Guthrie too, who were great influences on a lot of today's stars. Music is like a long tapestry and is entertwined and then goes off into too many tangents to clearly select a given artist or genre of music.

I believe that someone 300 years from now will most definitely be reading about The Beatles and Elvis Presley, these are probably the two most written about stars in the last 100 years.[/quote']

Couldn't AGREE MORE, well said, dont need to post now would only duplicate it ALL!

Aha, I don't think it's up to us to say what people will be listening to for the next few hundred years.

There have been a few good suggestions, and whoever mentioned Oasis, Blur and Paul Weller has my eternal respect.

BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE SMITHS?!

INSANITY.

Also, there are a few other names that I think deserve a mention, although most of you will probably disagree. Some of them have already had a mention, I just wanted to mention them again.

Graham Coxon, Damon Albarn, the brothers Gallagher, Peter Doherty, Morrissey, Ian Curtis, Alex Turner, Laura Marling, Lily Allen, Ian Brown, Mike Skinner, MC Hammer.

Oh, and Gary Barlow, because he's done amazing things for pop music, there is no denying it. I think Robbie deserves a mention too, because I love him.

Aha' date=' I don't think it's up to us to say what people will be listening to for the next few hundred years.

There have been a few good suggestions, and whoever mentioned Oasis, Blur and Paul Weller has my eternal respect.

INSANITY.

Also, there are a few other names that I think deserve a mention, although most of you will probably disagree. Some of them have already had a mention, I just wanted to mention them again.

Graham Coxon, Damon Albarn, [b']the brothers Gallagher[/b], Peter Doherty, Morrissey, Ian Curtis, Alex Turner, Laura Marling, Lily Allen, Ian Brown, Mike Skinner, MC Hammer.

Oh, and Gary Barlow, because he's done amazing things for pop music, there is no denying it. I think Robbie deserves a mention too, because I love him.

:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Gary Barlow is one of the greatest Songwriters of all time. But of the 21st century. BTW, lilly Allen, does she actually sing, or just drone?

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Aha' date=' I don't think it's up to us to say what people will be listening to for the next few hundred years.

INSANITY.

Graham Coxon, Damon Albarn, the brothers Gallagher, Peter Doherty, Morrissey, Ian Curtis, Alex Turner, Laura Marling, Lily Allen, Ian Brown, Mike Skinner, MC Hammer.

Oh, and Gary Barlow, because he's done amazing things for pop music, there is no denying it. I think Robbie deserves a mention too, because I love him.[/quote']

With all due respect Amy, the question was NOT what people would be listening to in the next 300 years, it was WHO would they be talking about from this era. And again, with all due respect, talented as the people you mention might be or have been, they most certainly won't go down in history among the more serious musical historical evaluations. I liked a few of the artists you mentioned, i.e Paul Weller, Morrisey and Ian Brown, but in the greater shape of things, they didn't change music. They might have tweaked it around a bit here and there for the 80' and 90's kids but in the big picture, which is what the questioner asked, they will not be remembered for changing the face of music in my opinion.

PS. I agree with you Hog that Bob Dylan should have been in the earlier category, my mistake. :)

With all due respect Amy' date=' the question was NOT what people would be listening to in the next 300 years, it was WHO would they be talking about from this era. And again, with all due respect, talented as the people you mention might be or have been, they most certainly won't go down in history among the more serious musical historical evaluations. I liked a few of the artists you mentioned, i.e Paul Weller, Morrisey and Ian Brown, but in the greater shape of things, [b']they didn't change music. They might have tweaked it around a bit here and there for the 80' and 90's kids but in the big picture, which is what the questioner asked, they will not be remembered for changing the face of music in my opinion.[/b] [/b]PS. I agree with you Hog that Bob Dylan should have been in the earlier category, my mistake. :)

Spot on Dave, and i feel you may extend that statement to many names mentioned in posts so far. How about Pete Townsend (i may have missed him)- much of his work with the Who between 69-74? can only be described as ground breaking stuff ( eg.Tommy-The synths on Who's next ).Good thread this:)

:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Gary Barlow is one of the greatest Songwriters of all time. But of the 21st century. BTW' date=' lilly Allen, does she actually sing, or just drone?[/quote']

Aha, I just put her in there because my list had far too many men in it. :rolleyes:

I liked a few of the artists you mentioned, i.e Paul Weller, Morrisey and Ian Brown, but in the greater shape of things, they didn't change music. They might have tweaked it around a bit here and there for the 80' and 90's kids but in the big picture, which is what the questioner asked, they will not be remembered for changing the face of music in my opinion.

Aha, I think you underestimate the children of the '80s and '90s. You can hear the influences of all the aforementioned artists in a lot of recent music, the Smiths influence shines through in the work of bands such as White Lies, there's definitely more than a touch of the Jam to bands such as Twisted Wheel and the Enemy. Give it time, and I can guarantee the influence will become more and more marked. I also have to argue with the fact that you say they didn't change music. Surely, if they inspired someone to pick up a guitar, or to listen to a certain style of music, they are changing music in some way, no matter how small? Music only moves as fast as the people making music allow it to. But I completely understand where you're coming from, I just say, give it time, and that is all I meant by my previous opening statement.

Spot on Dave' date=' and i feel you may extend that statement to many names mentioned in posts so far. How about Pete Townsend (i may have missed him)- much of his work with the Who between 69-74? can only be described as ground breaking stuff ( eg.Tommy-The synths on Who's next ).Good thread this:)[/quote']

Theres only really been a handfull of people/groups that have changed music or bought about a different genera of music in the last 60 years or so.

The obvious ones are people like Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Stone Roses, Kraftwork, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Iron Maidon, Gratefull Dead, Pink Floyd, Tupac, Motown, The Stiff record label, Elvis, Michael Jackson and David Bowie

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Aha' date=' I just put her in there because my list had far too many men in it. :rolleyes:

Aha, I think you underestimate the children of the '80s and '90s. You can hear the influences of all the aforementioned artists in a lot of recent music, the Smiths influence shines through in the work of bands such as White Lies, there's definitely more than a touch of the Jam to bands such as Twisted Wheel and the Enemy. Give it time, and I can guarantee the influence will become more and more marked. I also have to argue with the fact that you say they didn't change music. Surely, if they inspired someone to pick up a guitar, or to listen to a certain style of music, they are changing music in some way, no matter how small? Music only moves as fast as the people making music allow it to. But I completely understand where you're coming from, I just say, give it time, and that is all I meant by my previous opening statement.[/quote']

You talk about people who inspire others Amy and making them pick up a guitar. This is quite different from who will be talked about in 300 years. Most likely The Sex Pistols could be talked about in 300 years but it certainly won't be for their musical ability as they could barely play three chords, but they made an impact on society (not a good one in my opinion) but their infamy could, although I sincerely hope that any intelligent beings 300 years from now will not put The Sex Pistols and music in the same sentence. There are too many artists who have inspired others to start playing but the content of this thread was who effectively re routed music. I firmly believe that there is amazing talents thrown up from every generation of music, I also believe, (some might say I am biased but the history books don't lie :P) that the 50's and the 60's were the catalyst in modern day music. I happen to believe that the 20's and 30's black artists shaped the modern trend of music, but getting back to the initial question again, I believe only The Beatles, Dylan and Elvis will be the main eyecatchers of the guys who changed music. Now there will no doubt be people who will delve further into our time of music and then they will see that there was a plethora of musical genius from the 1900's through the following 100 years.

And to my friend Dave Izod, yes, The Who were great, as were The Kinks and Ray Davies, as were The Cream with Bruce, Clapton and Baker, the list is endless, but with all due respect to your good self Mr Izod, and even Pete Townsend has openly admitted it himself, without The Beatles smashing down the barriers when they did, all other groups would still be playing weekends in the pub, his words, not mine though I agree with him. No British act had ever broken America till they came along and even today, I could walk into the local bar and ask guys who are Oasis and Blur and they wouldn't have a clue. I have done it, I talk music all the time and apart from The Beatles and The Stones and I guess The Who do come into that category, the vast majority of Americans have no clue about those other groups because quite simply, they didn't make any impact. Amy mentioned Take That, nice little band with nice easy songs but have they impacted the world outside the teenagers of that time? No.

PS I re-read my piece and I want to just add that I don't think that America is the yardstick to genius, my point is that to be truly effective in changing the face of a culture and music, you have to literally capture the world, The Beatles did that where no other band had done before, or since.

You talk about people who inspire others Amy and making them pick up a guitar. This is quite different from who will be talked about in 300 years. Most likely The Sex Pistols could be talked about in 300 years but it certainly won't be for their musical ability as they could barely play three chords' date=' but they made an impact on society (not a good one in my opinion) but their infamy could, although I sincerely hope that any intelligent beings 300 years from now will not put The Sex Pistols and music in the same sentence. There are too many artists who have inspired others to start playing but the content of this thread was who effectively re routed music. I firmly believe that there is amazing talents thrown up from every generation of music, I also believe, (some might say I am biased but the history books don't lie :P) that the 50's and the 60's were the catalyst in modern day music. I happen to believe that the 20's and 30's black artists shaped the modern trend of music, but getting back to the initial question again, I believe only The Beatles, Dylan and Elvis will be the main eyecatchers of the guys who changed music. Now there will no doubt be people who will delve further into our time of music and then they will see that there was a plethora of musical genius from the 1900's through the following 100 years.

And to my friend Dave Izod, yes, The Who were great, as were The Kinks and Ray Davies, as were The Cream with Bruce, Clapton and Baker, the list is endless, but with all due respect to your good self Mr Izod, and even Pete Townsend has openly admitted it himself, without The Beatles smashing down the barriers when they did, all other groups would still be playing weekends in the pub, his words, not mine though I agree with him. No British act had ever broken America till they came along and even today, I could walk into the local bar and ask guys who are Oasis and Blur and they wouldn't have a clue. I have done it, I talk music all the time and apart from The Beatles and The Stones and I guess The Who do come into that category, the vast majority of Americans have no clue about those other groups because quite simply, they didn't make any impact. Amy mentioned Take That, nice little band with nice easy songs but have they impacted the world outside the teenagers of that time? No.

PS I re-read my piece and I want to just add that I don't think that America is the yardstick to genius, my point is that to be truly effective in changing the face of a culture and music, you have to literally capture the world, The Beatles did that where no other band had done before, or since.[/quote']

Absolutely SPOT ON AGAIN David! The Beatles changed everything even fashion, politics & the British Economy which was sinking like the titanic at the time. Look at the Groups in the charts BEFORE The Beatles 1962:- B Bumble & The Stingers, The Shadows, The Tornados. 1961: Marcells, Temperence 7, Shadows. 1960: Johnny Kid & Pirates, Shadows. 1959:- The Platters. 1958: Lord Rockinghams XI 1957: None! other than Brothers, Sisters Duo's etc. 1963 onwards everything exploded. It was like Music's BIG BANG - There must be literally hundreds of Groups springing up every year now. Elvis did the same, without him would we still be "Crooning like Bing Crosby/ Dean Martin/ Sinatra"? Now then, I reckon Sinatra will still be remembered in 3000 years (In the unlikely event there is still anybody left to listen) That's life

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,

A poet, a pawn and a king.

I've been up and down and over and out

And I know one thing:

Each time I find myself laying flat on my face,

I just pick myself up and get back in the race. (The Human Race)