Musical geniuses of the 20th century.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Re: Musical geniuses of the 20th century.

Absolutely SPOT ON AGAIN David! The Beatles changed everything even fashion' date=' politics & the British Economy which was sinking like the titanic at the time. Look at the Groups in the charts BEFORE The Beatles 1962:- B Bumble & The Stingers, The Shadows, The Tornados. 1961: Marcells, Temperence 7, Shadows. 1960: Johnny Kid & Pirates, Shadows. 1959:- The Platters. 1958: Lord Rockinghams XI 1957: None! other than Brothers, Sisters Duo's etc. 1963 onwards everything exploded. It was like Music's BIG BANG - There must be literally hundreds of Groups springing up every year now. Elvis did the same, without him would we still be "Crooning like Bing Crosby/ Dean Martin/ Sinatra"? Now then, I reckon Sinatra will still be remembered in 3000 years (In the unlikely event there is still anybody left to listen) That's life

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,

A poet, a pawn and a king.

I've been up and down and over and out

And I know one thing:

Each time I find myself laying flat on my face,

I just pick myself up and get back in the race. (The Human Race)[/quote']

I think that Sinatra was awesome. Tommy Dorsey once said that he was the only artist to come into the studios, sing all his songs in one take and leave, in those days, time was money and I remember him saying, we booked the studio for 45 minutes, a lot of money in those days, and Sinatra sang all the songs in one take, no other artist had ever done that before, and Tommy Dorsey was the king pin band leader in those days.:P

Glad to see you recognize the Beatles as leaders not only in music but as you say, politics and fashion and haircuts!!!:P I remember going down to the mobile barber shop when I was about nine and asked him for a John Lennon haircut, the bugger gave me a square back and sides right into the frigging wood then gave me a poxy balloon :mad:

Thats NOTHIN' .... I remember back when ...... I had hair ...... gotta have a good memory...... thats a long time ago!

"gave me a square back and sides right into the frigging wood then gave me a poxy balloon"

Balloons David??? U don't get em now! LUXURY!!Those were the days ............. You tell the youth of today that & they just don't Believe you!

Then again, I remember when I lived in a rolled up newspaper in middle-a-road..........

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Thats NOTHIN' .... I remember back when ...... I had hair ...... gotta have a good memory...... thats a long time ago!

"gave me a square back and sides right into the frigging wood then gave me a poxy balloon"

Balloons David??? U don't get em now! LUXURY!!Those were the days ............. You tell the youth of today that & they just don't Believe you!

Then again' date=' I remember when I lived in a rolled up newspaper in middle-a-road..........[/quote']lmao. :D, My brother talked me into going, even to this day I would much rather have a tooth pulled that go to the barber.:P. He told me that the guy had photographs of everyone that was famous back then(Tony Curtis was the top dog I remember) well I shot my a.s.s. down there for a John Lennon special and afterwards looked like a GI on his way to Vietnam :P Gutted is not the word lol

and Schuldiner' date=' I've never taken Anthrax seriously after hearing the intro to Madhouse and I'm The Man :D their brilliant[/quote']

Haha. I doubt they even take themselves seriously, to be honest. :P

I love Anthrax. Just hate how them having a laugh on a couple of songs became the start of a whole new subgenre of metal, full of bands I can't stand. Rap metal can be fun when it's done as a laugh. When it's taken too seriously, it just makes me cringe.

I'll give you Maiden' date=' but the other two I have to disagree with (especially KSE).

I'll give RATM a bit of credit for being one of the original rap metal bands, along with Stuck Mojo (although I wish Anthrax had never invented it, if I'm honest :o). In terms of influence though, all you can really give them credit for is the nu-metal scene, which pretty much died out just 5-10 years after it first emerged. As a stand-alone band, they are quality (although not to my own taste), but will they still be remembered and recognised as being among the very best in years to come? ...I'd say yes, but probably only for decades rather than centuries.

Killswitch Engage... now before I go any further, I'm not criticising their music or questioning how good they are, I just don't see what they've given us that we didn't already have before. Metalcore had already been going strong for around 10+ years before KSE even formed, nevermind released an album. And none of their material has ever really pushed the boundaries or opened any new doors (no matter how good/bad any particular person thinks it may be).

If any metalcore bands get long term recognition, surely it would be the subgenre's founders - Integrity, Earth Crisis, Biohazard, Converge etc... or maybe even Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags before that? It's debatable whether those last two can actually be considered metalcore bands, but they were certainly major influences, and Agnostic Front probably have to be credited with releasing the first metalcore album way back in 1986.

Personally, I don't see any of them getting long term recognition outside their own niche, but if any of them did, my money would be on the bands that created and helped shape the subgenre, not the followers that came along 10+ years later and got rich just by playing a rehash of what came before.

There are only three metal bands that are anywhere near well-known enough outside of metal to ever stand a chance of being remembered and respected 300 years from now. You already mentioned Iron Maiden... the other two are Black Sabbath and Metallica. The mainstream doesn't know or understand metal enough to give the lesser known bands responsible for shaping the plethora of styles/subgenres the recognition they deserve, especially over such a long time period.[/quote']

I'm with you on the metalcore. Don't get me wrong I listen to alot of the stuff but I think its sad most people see it as a new genre spearheaded in the 2000's when in fact it's been around a good 15 years or more. Thumbs up at the name dropping of Integrity/Converge as both bands are amazing and revolutionary with Integrity being key in the formation of the genre and Converge creating some of the most visceral yet beuatiful hardcore as seen on albums such Petitioning the Empty Sky and also the classic Jane Doe.

My list:

Emperor - Took Black Metal and add a new level of technical skill and also melody without losing the heaviness and atmosphere which the genre is founded upon.

Black Flag - The first hardcore punk band. Without the genre of hardcore punk we would not have metal as we know it nor would we have Metallic hardcore. Also played a part if laying the groundwork for the sludge metal sound.

Death - I'm not their biggest fan but none the less they get my respect for being key (could be argued the first) in the creation and formation of death metal (it could be argued the first was in fact Possesed with Seven Churches back in '84)

Carcass - Not only single handedly did they create the so called "goregrind" genre but imo they were one of the first to play Melodic Death Metal (the whole At The Gates invented melo death argument annoys me) which the influence can be found in from black metal to that much hated sub genre of deathcore.

Sabbath - They invented metal (if by coincidence) nuff said.

Slayer - Took thrash to all new levels of heaviness with "Reign in Blood" which had an impact on both thrash and also the emerging DM scene of the time.