Sign in to follow this  
Hunty

The Official Rugby Thread

I know we have quite a few rugby fans on the forum. So I decided to make this thread so we can discuss anything rugby related.

Super 14, Premiership, World Cup, National Games, Heineken cup and anything really to do with rugby :)

Discuss guys!

Re: Official Rugby Thread

So third and finally Lions test is on Saturday.

I can imagine it's gunna be a firey encounter as I'm sure players on both sides will have scores to settle.

Come on Vickery, redeem yourself against the Beast. Hair-bare had him so why not Vicks :P

SA NEWS

Juan Martin Hernandez should join the sharks but there are still workpermit problems. Former All Black Chris Jack joined the WP and scored on his debut on saterday. The lions got Tod Clever(USA) who played in the super14. The curriecup started last weekend.

Curriecup: Premier league

Boland 26-12 Leopards

Freestate 18-28 Griquas

WP 29-15 Sharks

Bulls 19-13 Lions

Curriecup: 1st Division

Elephants 16-10 Grens

Falcons 27-39 Griffons

Had to brag a bit. SA beat the all blacks 31-19 today to confirm that their the best team in the world after they also beat them last week 28-19

Well the end of year tour is almost starting. SA all backs etc coming to europe. SA playing a warmup tomorrow against Leicester Tigers. Anyone know what the line-up for the tigers are?

Leicester Tigers line-up:

15 Scott Hamilton

14 Lucas Amorosino

13 Andy Forsyth

12 Manu Tuilagi

11 Johne Murphy

10 Aaron Mauger (Captain)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Marcos Ayerza

2 Mefin Davies

3 Martin Castrogiovanni

4 Calum Green

5 Ben Kay

6 Geoff Parling

7 Ben Pienaar

8 Brett Deacon

Replacements:

16 George Chuter

17 Dan Cole

18 Tom Armes

19 Dan Hemingway

20 James Grindal

21 Greig Tonks

22 Lote Tuqiri

South Africa line-up:

1 Gurthro Steenkamp

2 Chiliboy Ralepelle (Captain)

3 Jannie du Plessis

4 Danie Rossouw

5 Andries Bekker

6 Dewald Potgieter

7 Davon Raubenheimer

8 Ashley Johnson

9 Heini Adams

10 Ruan Pienaar

11 Jongi Nokwe

12 Wynand Olivier

13 Juan de Jongh

14 Odwa Ndungane

15 Earl Rose

Replacements

16 Bandise Maku

17 Heinke van der Merwe

18 Alistair Hargreaves

19 Jean Deysel

20 Francois Hougaard

21 Meyer Bosman

22 Riaan Viljoen

Leicester won 22-17. Disapointing as SA got crushed in the scrums.

Today its England vs Australia

Wales vs All blacks

Good to see that wilkinson is back

I'm so not looking forward to Wales' game against the All Blacks today. Dan Carter is the only doubt to a quite awesome New Zealand squad. :(

I have issues with the Wales selections too. At 8, you have Ryan Jones, our captain, a natural flanker and a 6 at that. Then Gatland has decided to play Andy Powell, a natural 8 at 6. Where is the sense in that?

James Hook at full back? He will get hammered! He is useless under a high ball, I think anyway, plus Halfpenny is there but playing on the wing. He's a natural full back and I know for sure we have wingers to cover Halfpenny if he was put at full back.

I feel that New Zealand will put 40/50 points on us. I'm a realist. :o

Keeping it close and standing up to them would be an ideal result today, we need a good performance rather than a result (Although a result would be fantastic.)

I hope the Australian's whipe the floor with England too. :D

I'm so not looking forward to Wales' game against the All Blacks today. Dan Carter is the only doubt to a quite awesome New Zealand squad. :(

I have issues with the Wales selections too. At 8' date=' you have Ryan Jones, our captain, a natural flanker and a 6 at that. Then Gatland has decided to play Andy Powell, a natural 8 at 6. Where is the sense in that?

James Hook at full back? He will get hammered! He is useless under a high ball, I think anyway, plus Halfpenny is there but playing on the wing. He's a natural full back and I know for sure we have wingers to cover Halfpenny if he was put at full back.

I feel that New Zealand will put 40/50 points on us. I'm a realist. :o

Keeping it close and standing up to them would be an ideal result today, we need a good performance rather than a result (Although a result would be fantastic.)

I hope the Australian's whipe the floor with England too. :D[/quote']

There he goes again with all the anti-English sentiment! ;)

Does seem a strange decision by Gatland in respect of Jones and Powell, and I would suggest that if you were going to use a friendly to experiment, that you don't use the All Blacks for fear of being embarrassed!

The England v Australia looks to be an interesting one, with neither team really being the force they were. I think the Aussies will take it, but not by a hammering.

Just as a point of interest mate I should be going to the England v Wales six nations game in the spring, so maybe if you can make it to the Home of Rugby, we could have a few jars?

There he goes again with all the anti-English sentiment! ;)

Does seem a strange decision by Gatland in respect of Jones and Powell' date=' and I would suggest that if you were going to use a friendly to experiment, that you don't use the All Blacks for fear of being embarrassed!

The England v Australia looks to be an interesting one, with neither team really being the force they were. I think the Aussies will take it, but not by a hammering.

Just as a point of interest mate I should be going to the England v Wales six nations game in the spring, so maybe if you can make it to the Home of Rugby, we could have a few jars?[/quote']

Nah. Wouldn't go there again if you paid me. Sorry. ;)

If your ever travelling up to the delight that is the Millenium Stadium for a match in coming years then do give me a shout and I shall try my best to get back home for it. :)

As for your match today. It all depends on England gameplan. Wilko's in so I expect boring old England to be on show, keeping it tight and looking for the wonder 10 to kick for territory ALL THE TIME!

If the Aussies get their running game going, as well as their up and unders right then I don't think the English defense will cope. One can hope. :D

On the whole, Wales played reasonably well. Not scoring a try was a bit gutting but we didn't seem to have many ideas with the ball in hand. Strange for us. The NZ defense is so strong and in your face I suppose. I think we will have more joy against Australia but I am very proud of that scoreline against a very good tactical NZ. Alot of positives to take out of it but Andy Powell should not play 6 and the way Ryan Jones played, Powell wont get a chance at 8 again any time soon.

England tried reverting back to the way they played when they won the world cup, again.:rolleyes: Boring forward work followed by Wilkinson dropping goals/taking pens. It was obvious thats what their gameplan would be as early as the second minute. IT sad that they cant keep up with the way modern rugby is going and at least try taking on Southern Hemisphere teams on at running rugby. ;) Saying that, the boring old way nearly payed off until the Aussies started playing in the second half.

Roll on next week....

France v South Africa (Friday night)

Wales v Samoa (Friday Night)

England v Argentina (Sat)

Italy v New Zealand (Sat)

Scotland v Fiji (Sat)

Ireland v Australia (Sunday)

IRR rankings

1. SA 91.69

2. NZ 90.52

3. AUS 85.56

4. IRE 83.27

5. FRA 81.48

6. ARG 81.29

7. WAL 80.38

8. ENG 80.27

9. Fidji 76.52

10. SCOT 75.23

11. SAMOA 73.48

12. ITALY 71.23

13. CANADA 70.07

14. JAPAN 68.37

15. TONGA 67.53

I'm going to Scotland A v Tonga in Galashiels on Friday 20th. Should be great.

Thats nice. Is tonga sending over their best players? Could be a fisical game. I cant wait for tomorrows game SA vs France

Disappointed with SA 13-20 FRANCE we didnt play well, got a few yellow cards. Wales 17-13 Samoa. Saw highlights of the wales game this morning with samoa putting in sum "nice" tackles. You gotta luv it

I don't know but they lost 48 -19 to Ireland A last night. Was the South Africa game a good one? I watched the Wales - Samoa game.Those Tuilagi brothers are beasts. Shame there was no Alesana. This is the team that played Ireland. I don't know anyone there.

Tonga: Vungakoto Filimone Lilo; Latu Nagashima Alipate Fatafehi, Sukanaivalu Hufanga, Joseph Vaka, Poakikaifano Vakaloa; Kurt Morath, Kilifi Fangupo; Toma Toke, Semisi Telefoni, Mosese Moala; Kelekolio Paino Hehea, Emosi Kauhenga; Seti Filo, Uelenitoni Fono, Samiu Vahafolau

Replacements: Willam Mosaati Hafu, Po'alo'I Taula, Penisimani Fakalelu, Lisiate Faaoso, Rodney Mahe, Mahe Fangupo, Raymond Pierre Hola, Manu 'Ahota'e'iloa

England v Argentina today - just sat down with a pint of Carlsberg. B)

Argentina are a very powerful scrummaging side so will be tough for our pack, but I think we have enough to beat them (I hope so anyway), but have to watch out for Lobbe, what a player. :o

England starting line-up:

1). Payne

2). Hartley

3). Bell

4). Deacon

5. Borthwick ©

6). Croft

7). Moody

8). Haskell

9). Hodgson

10). Wilkinson

11). Bannahan

12). Gerathy

13). Hipkiss

14). Cueto

15). Monye

Very strong backrow out today. Moody was fantastic last week against Oz, so deserves his spot, but I'd like to see Worsley play today at some point. It'll also be interesting to see how Hodgson does, as he is a fantastic player as he shows in the Premiership week in week out, and obviously all eyes are going to be on Wilko once again who should carry England today. :)

I hope Gerathy does well, very good player!

Scotland A won 38-7. An impressive performance with some great tries. The Tongans were all huge especially the try scorer Fatafehi. Mark Robertson played well when he came on as well as Ben Cairns, Hugo Southwell and Jim Thompson. Scotland beat Australia 9-8. The first time we've beaten them since 1982. Matt Giteau missed 2 penalties, a conversion and a drop goal. Brilliant defensive performance but no real attacking display. Last minute try for Australia, meaning if Giteau got the conversion it would have been 10-9.

Wales for the Grandslam again,

When Henson, Phillips and Byrne return at the back,

along with Gough and Adam Jones as forwards, our ultimate team will again be lit, believe we can the world cup in 2011 aswell, Charteris looks like a promosing talent

team i would play (when all fit)

1: G. Jenkins

2: M. Rees

3: A. Jones

4: I. Gough

5: A.W Jones

6: R. Jones ©

7: M. Williams

8: A. Powell

9: M. Phillips

10: J. Hook

11: S. Williams

12: G. Henson

13: J. Roberts

14: L. Halfpenny

15: L. Byrne

Going to be great matches this week wit france vs allblacks

Sa vs ireland. Scotland had a good win against the aussies even tough it was more a defensive then attacking win