USA's Talents and Risers

Re: USA's Talents and Risers

He was first mentioned by Glen C.

Chris Pontius

131971.jpg

Chris is a 22 year old Forward playing for D.C United.

Chris was selected in the first round of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft.

During his freshman year, Pontius played in 20 of 21 matches, making five starts for the Gauchos. He scored his first career goal against Northwestern, and finished the season with a total of three.

ucsb.jpeg

In 2006,he played 23 times starting 22 and coming on as a sub once. He scored a goal and contributed two assists.

In his junior year 2007, Chris led the Big West conference with 11 goals and was honored as the Big West Offensive Player of the Year. He played in 21 games (19 starts) and was also named to the All-Big West First Team.

Bio_Pontius_3.jpg

During his senior year, Pontius led UCSB with 14 goals. He started each of the team’s 22 games and was second on the team in minutes (1,883). Following his senior campaign, Pontius was named as a MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist, a member of College Soccer News All-American Second Team, to the NSCAA All-American Third Team, and the All-Far West First Team.

3413077417_6bac564a0e.jpg

He was selected in the MLS Super Draft.

“With Pontius, we thought he was the best forward at the draft and can contribute to our team straight away,” Soehn said.

He made his professional debut, and scored his first professional goal, on 22 March 2009, in DC's first game of the 2009 MLS season against Los Angeles Galaxy

The beautiful goal must watch:

610x.jpg

The goal

This season he has played 17 games scoring 4 goals and getting two assists.

Pontius scores the game winning goal in the 91st minute (3-2) against New York Red Bulls

Here he scores against Toronto FC to tie the game 2-2. It was named the MLS goal of the week.

Scores against Seattle Sounders to give them the lead.

Future

He has played almost every minute this season even keeping out the veterans. He is on the DB with a rating of 76. With the kind of skill he has he will surely be a star.

What about man mountain Omar Gonzalez at the Galaxy? Your thoughts?

Yup he is a good talent. Tough defender and particularly strong in the air also has the ability to jump start the offense with foot skills. I was planning to do on him. But there are many talents in America so give me some time.

By the way' date=' Chris Pontius has been added to the DB at a rating of 76 so snap him up. He will probably rise by 5-7.

Now for the next talent.

Rodney Wallace is up next.

[center']t1_wallace_rise.jpg[/center]

He is is a Costa Rican LM/LB who currently plays for D.C. United. He is a speedy player.

Bullis School

He had four years at Bullis school.

As a junior, Wallace scored 14 goals and dished out seven assists to help lead the Bulldogs to a 17-1 record and the Interstate Athletic Conference championship.

Bio_Wallace_1.jpg

In the first half of the opener during Wallace's freshman season, visiting Bullis was trailing St. Andrew's 1-0 on a damp, rainy pitch and looked as sluggish as a hibernating bear. Suddenly, Wallace received a right-to-left cross just outside the 18-yard box and left of the circle. He one-touched the ball to the turf and ripped a left-footed rocket into the side netting inside the far post to tie the game.

Maryland

Wallace started all 21 games for Maryland as a freshman, the only first-year player to do so. He was second on the team in goals scoring 7, and had one assist. He was named to the All-ACC Freshman team.

040409_Wallace_story.jpg

During his second and final season at Maryland, Wallace helped the Terrapins capture the 2008 College Cup, starting each of the 25 games he saw time in. While playing predominantly as a left back, he scored three goals and contributed three assists. For his efforts he was named to the All-ACC Second Team.

033109_Wallace_400.jpg

D.C. United

“We've scouted Rodney over the years, and we believe his upside is great,” coach Tom Soehn said. “He has pace [and] quality on the ball, but most of all he is consistent.”

He was selected in the first round (6th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. He made his professional debut on 22 March 2009, in DC's first game of the 2009 MLS season against Los Angeles Galaxy, and scored his first career professional goal on 26 April, 2009, in a 3-2 win over the New York Red Bulls. So far he has played 17 games scoring 2 goals and getting 2 assists.

His first goal

CRFym7iW.jpg

He scores against Kansas City Wizards.

Future

He is on the DB rated 78. He will probably rise about 5-6.

Now its Omar Gonzalez turn.

604863.jpeg

Omar Gonzalez is a 20 year old CB who currently plays for LA Galaxy.

Maryland

Gonzalez played college soccer at the University of Maryland, where he won the 2008 College Cup championship as he started all 26 of the Terrapins’ games as a junior, scoring a career-best five goals.

He was named to the NSCAA/adidas All-American First Team and First Team All-ACC, and was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore in 2007.

He was also named a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy, which is given out annually to the country’s best college soccer player.

6a00e54ef2975b883301053650cc90970b-500wi

In the NCAA Tournament, Gonzalez spearheaded a Maryland defense that allowed just one goal in five games and was named the College Cup Defensive MVP. He helped lead the Terrapins to 15 clean sheets in 26 games, including seven in eight games during the ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament. Gonzalez was on the field for nearly every minute during the season for the Terps, as they allowed just 18 goals on the season.

As a freshman in 2006, Gonzalez was named to the All-ACC Freshman Team and Soccer America Second Team All-Freshman after starting all 22 of Maryland’s games and logging the second most minutes on the team as they reach the Third Round of the NCAA Tournament. He had a goal to go along with a careerhigh three assists, while helping the Terps keep 11 clean sheets.

He played 69 games over three seasons, scoring seven goals and assisting on five others.

LA Galaxy

Gonzalez was drafted in the first round (3rd overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Los Angeles Galaxy. He was brought in to shore up what was the worst defense in the league last season. He gives them the size and athletic ability they sorely lacked last season as they were picked apart by set pieces and corner kicks.

omar-gonzalez.jpg

He made his professional debut on 22 March 2009, in Galaxy's first game of the 2009 MLS season against D.C. United, and scored his first professional goal on 4 April 2009 in a 3-2 loss to Colorado Rapids.

Chivas+USA+v+Los+Angeles+Galaxy+4Hm_eKH597El.jpg

He has started 16 games scoring one goal.

International

Gonzalez has represented the U.S. at the Under-17 and Under-20 levels. In 2005 he played at the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Peru, and in 2007 he played for the U.S. Under-20’s at the Pan-American Games, scoring twice in the USA's 4-2 loss to Bolivia.

The match report:

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Sophomore Omar Gonzalez scored the first two goals of the match for the United States, but Bolivia countered with four unanswered goals to defeat the Americans, 4-2, in USA's second match in the 2007 Pan American Games at the Miécimo da Silva Sports Complex on July 18. Both Gonzalez, who starts at forward, and classmate Jeremy Hall played all 90 minutes for the Americans.

With the loss, the US is now 1-1-0 in Group B. The Americans defeated Venezuela, 2-1, in the opener on July 16. The Americans will finish group play against Mexico on July 21 at 9:00 a.m. at Brazil's famous Maracanã Stadium, home of the 1950 World Cup final.

Gonzalez, who earned his second start and has played in all 180 minutes for the US, tallied his first goal of the Games in the 34th minute and then added his second seven minutes later to give the Americans a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Bolivia stormed out of the gate in the second half and scored two minutes in when Gustavo Pinedo hit the back of the net to cut the deficit in half. Juan Eduardo Fierro equalized the game with a goal in the 56th minute and then Limberg Gutierrez notched the game-winner in the 63rd. Pinedo added the insurance goal in the 81st minute to finish the scoring.

Gonzalez added two more shots on goal in the match. Hall, who was the first substitution for Bob Jenkins' American side in the match against Venezuela, recorded his first start of the Pan Am Games and played every minute, getting off a shot in the game.

400_mls_real_salt_lake_gala_400.jpg

Future

He is on the DB rated 76. He has played almost every minute of the clubs games. I expect him to rise to 5-6.

Omar probably rise to 80 not 82/83.

Omar Gonzalez

I don't share your view. Omar is one of the key members in the LA Galaxy team this season. He has even started more games than some of the 84 rated players. I don't expect him to rise to 88 like Donovan. But i think that maybe 82/83 is quite realistic. Unless of course you are pointing out the point that SM does not really rate the MLS highly then i would understand.

What are your thoughts on New England Revolution´s Wells Thompson? Is he expected to rise?

Wells Thompson:

Thompson excels when running at defenders ' date=' plays without fear and has proven to be a solid ball-winner. He uses his outstanding pace to good effect.

[b']This season[/b]

He started 10 matches coming off the bench twice. Less season he started 8 games coming off the bench 13 times. His play time is considerably lesser than the 2007/2008 season where he started 15 games coming off the bench 21 times.

It is quite unlikely that he would rise maybe 1 or 2. I think it would be wise not to buy him. If he rises, and if you play for one of the top clubs then it is likely you will make a loss. This is based on his stats but i think it he still has a high chance of not rising.

Do you think you need a report on him?

Good thread' date=' I like it, a lot of in-depth detail on the players. Agree though that your rating predictions are a little optimistic, I don't see Gonzalez going above about 80 this time round. Maybe 81 if he's lucky. Bought Pontius for a couple of my teams.[/quote']

Great to see that you have bought him. Definitely one for the future.

Stefan Frei

Next one up Stefan Frei.

Stefan Frei

8BcgYAsJ.jpg

He is a 23 year old Swiss GK currently playing for Toronto FC.

Frei moved from Switzerland to the United States in the late 1990s, attended De La Salle High School in Concord, California, and played college soccer at the University of California, Berkeley. He was named 2005 athlete of the year. During his college years Frei also played with both San Francisco Seals and San Jose Frogs in the USL Premier Development League.

103713-11.25.msoccer.GONZAGA-01.jpg

In 2008, he was named to the All-Pac-10 first team and the NSCAA Far West All-Region team, and was also named to Top Drawer Soccer's Team of the Season. In 2006 he played in 6 games, 5 as a starter making 18 saves…GAA of 0.59…led Pac 10 in shoutouts, saves, save percentage , and saves per game.

6a00e54ef2975b883301156fa9b2e8970c-500wi

In 2007 he played in 20 games, all as starter making 91 saves with a GAA of 0.77…NSCAA First Team All-American…First Team All-Pac 10, NSCAA First Team Far West Region.

103794-12.04.msoccer.CHOW-01.jpg

In 2008 he played in 21 games and made 82 saves for a GAA of 0.77…was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list,College Soccer News Third Team All-American,TopDrawerSoccer First Team of the Year, First Team All-Pac-10…NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region.

Toronto FC

6SJlvRGJ.jpg

Frei was picked 13th overall by Toronto FC in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. He was the first keeper to be picked. He was named MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine in Fort Lauderdale. He made his professional debut on 21 March 2009, in Toronto's first game of the 2009 MLS season against Kansas City Wizards. They won the match 3-2.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=447

Video of the match

So far he has palyed 16 games out of 17 this season.

610x.jpg

Future

He is on the DB rated 74. The highest rated is 84. I expect him to rise to 78-80.

Tim Ward

ward_t.jpg

He is a 22 year old American LB playing for Chicago Fire.

He can play any position on defense and also in defensive midfield. He trained with the United States Under-17 team at the Bradenton Academy from 2002 to 2004. Following his graduation, he played a year of college soccer at Saint Louis University, starting 18 games for the Billikens, and being named second-team All-Conference USA.

TimWard-LukeSassano.jpg

Tim left after his freshman season to sign a Generation adidas contract with MLS, whereupon he was selected 12th overall in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft by the MetroStars, who acquired the pick by trading Cornell Glen to FC Dallas.

ward-tim_2430.jpg

Tim acquitted himself well in his rookie season, especially with his runs and crosses from the left back spot. There he played 13 games staring 11 and coming on as a sub twice.

After the year, he was traded to the Crew for Chris Henderson. Making his Crew debut on 4/1 in the season opener, coming on as a substitute at halftime. Over two seasons, he started 12 games coming on as a sub 5 times.

610x.jpg

He was traded to the Colorado Rapids from Columbus on February 27, 2008 for Nicolas Hernández.

uolEfukB.jpg

However, he was waived at the end of the 2008 season without playing a first-team game. He was on trial with Chicago Fire for most of early 2009, eventually signing with the team in March.

3496304033_7756c8ea6f.jpg?v=0

"He was a guy we thought could help our team on the right or left side, and he can also play in the (defensive) middle," Fire coach Denis Hamlett said. "You try to get better players to fill out your roster, because you never know when a guy is going to go down, and this gives us better coverage."

So far this season he has played 16 out of 17 games. The highest in the squad along with Brian McBride.

TimWard.jpg

International Career

U-17

Appeared in 35 games, starting 30, for the U.S. U-17 team... Scored one goal and tallied three assists

U-20

A regular with the U-20s, he had 24 U-20 caps to his credit as of March 2007... Started all three games of the CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup... He was named to the final roster for the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, but a strained hamstring sidelined just before the tournament.

S8fTX2xh.jpg

He played in the Busan Cup in South Korea and at the Milk Cup in Ireland. Tim led the team in appearances in 2004 with 17 total appearances (10 in international play), starting in 14 times (8).

3680229349_a487b8ba93.jpg?v=0

U-23

Ward made his Under-23 debut on the U.S.'s two-game tour of Japan in February 2007. He appeared in both matches, starting and playing the full 90 minutes vs. the Japan U-22 National Team on 2/21/07.

SM

He is on the DB rated 74. He has started 16 games out of 17 hence making him more or less a regular. The highest rated being 88, i expect him to rise to 79-81.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise but i have been quite busy recently. I wanted to do some reports on players. But since the USA ratings are here i thought i might as well give you the name of the players to buy first. The players mentioned are either regulars or have played a considerable amount of games. I will keep editing and adding to the list so you can buy these players first in time for the changes i hope. I will probably do the reports when i have the time. Make sure you keep coming back to check as when you edit the thread does not go back to the top of the list. :)

Sam Cronin-Toronto FC ,rated 80 probably rise to 82-83.

Kosuke Kimura-Colorado Rapids,rated 78 probably rise to 81/82

Donovan Ricketts-LA Galaxy,rated 73 probably rise to 80. I know he is 32 but he started 15 out of 19 games for the Galaxy.

Zach Thornton-Chivas USA,rated 77 probably rise to 81. Again old but a regular.

Nana Attakora-Gyan-Toronto FC,rated 72 probably rise to 77.

Jordan Harvey-Colorado Rapids,rated 77 probably rise to 81/82.

Brek Shea-FC Dallas,rated 70 probably rise to 74.

Ray Burse-FC Dallas,rated 75 probably rise to 79/80.

Lance Watson-Kansas City Wizards,rated 74 probably rise to 78.

Aaron Hohlbein-Kansas City Wiazards,rated 77 probably 80. (may be taking a risk buy if you have some extra money on hand.)

What do you think of Abdus IBRAHIM ?

Ibrahim at 17 is immensely talented. He is definitely one to look out for in the future. I predict that he will most likely be a regular at Toronto the next season if they don't draft in any good striker. Score a bagful of goals. He will catch the eye of Bradley get a first call-up at 19/20. I think he will move on to Europe after that.

But of course all this cannot be done if he 1. Does not put in effort 2. Does not get playing time. Without those all these will never happen, and it will be talent that is not fulfilled,wasted talent.

He will not rise in the near future,maybe 1 or 2. But if he gets playing time seeing that he is only rated 74 could be a good buy as he will get a rise to about 78-80. So i suggest you start buying him now to beat the crowds

• 4 weeks later...

First of all I just wanted to say that Pontius' goal against Toronto was only goal of the week because of DC's stupid bots. DC supporters always hack the site or something like that so everytime a DC player is up for nomination they win you will notice that.

Second of all Frei plays in Toronto which is Canada thank you. Therefor not a riser from the US. Happy to be a Canadian, unhappy to be considered American. :D

Third of all Ibrahim is not going to get more playing time. This season because there is a clause in his contract saying that if he starts 10 or more games this season Toronto will have to give Dallas a second round pick. By the way he's 18 now. Also I do not think we will need to draft a good striker. De Rosario is tearing it up for us, we have Barrett signed on a long term contract, we just brought in Gerba and White from the previous draft has recovered from injury and is playing now. All of these guys will be ahead of Ibbe. Not to mention that with the $300 000 cap space we'll have from Vitti's loan ending we'll probably be bringing in a DP just like all the supporters want and there's a good chance that this DP is going to be a striker. Ibrahim has a bright future, but he will not receive all the chances he needs unless he performs really well. However he is used in the midfield usually anyway. He's going to get more playing time next season though. He won't be a regular starter but will play more. But he will soon be released or move, I can't see him staying here long.

Also another quick thing for whoever wants to tell SM. The following players do not play for Toronto FC:

Sutton

Kenton

Velez

Tebily

Titus

Ricketts

Rosenlund

Melo

Lombardo

Also (Lesly) Fellinga now plays for Toronto FC.

One more thing, we now all know that Nana and Frei are going to get a rise and we think that Ibbe is. :D

Now if you want to know some risers who are going to be rising big and who haven't been mentioned yet on this forum let me be the first. Pick up the Gambians Emmanuel Gomez and Amadou Sanyang from Toronto. They've both recently started playing games for Toronto. They weren't permitted to play before because they couldn't get a work permit due to them being under 18. They are now both 18 and are playing. They are also playing well. These guys will be getting relatively big rises. So far in this short time Gomez has already started 2 games and been subbed in 2 games and Sanyang has already started 1 game and been subbed in 1 game. These guys will be getting more playing time and will be getting a rating boost.

Just a suggestion. You might want to buy and look out for:

Amadou Sanyang

Emmanuel Gomez

O'Brian White

All rated 70 (10k)

Arsenalrocs if you're interested you could right a report on them.

The only reasons they haven't played much this season is because White had a bad injury and Gomez and Sanyang couldn't get their work permit because they were to young.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys' date=' Is [b']Omar Gonzalez[/b] Gonna Continue Rising? If He Is, What To?.

The kid is a monster (6'4" or 6'5"). Was just awarded MLS Rookie of the Year, last week. Great positioning and very good in the air and isn't half bad with the ball at his feet (at least he's better than what you'd expect considering his size). Those 3 attributes alone make him better than that turd, Oguchi Onyewu (88), is right now. No joke.

SM absolutely BUTCHERED the MLS ratings last time. So it's hard to say how they'd rate him given their inconsistency. Not only is he the best first year player in the MLS, you can make a strong argument that he's already one of the better defenders in the league.

IMO he deserves an 83 if he stays in the MLS. (And in case you were wondering, despite being a New Yorker I'm no rah-rah MLS-supporter.)

Also, considering how thin the US NT is in the back, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call-up prior to the WC.

The kid is a monster (6'4" or 6'5"). Was just awarded MLS Rookie of the Year' date=' last week.[/b'] Great positioning and very good in the air and isn't half bad with the ball at his feet (at least he's better than what you'd expect considering his size). Those 3 attributes alone make him better than that turd, Oguchi Onyewu (88), is right now. No joke.

SM absolutely BUTCHERED the MLS ratings last time. So it's hard to say how they'd rate him given their inconsistency. Not only is he the best first year player in the MLS, you can make a strong argument that he's already one of the better defenders in the league.

IMO he deserves an 83 if he stays in the MLS. (And in case you were wondering, despite being a New Yorker I'm no rah-rah MLS-supporter.)

Also, considering how thin the US NT is in the back, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call-up prior to the WC.

Perfect Answer. Thanks! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The kid is a monster (6'4" or 6'5"). Was just awarded MLS Rookie of the Year' date=' last week.[/b'] Great positioning and very good in the air and isn't half bad with the ball at his feet (at least he's better than what you'd expect considering his size). Those 3 attributes alone make him better than that turd, Oguchi Onyewu (88), is right now. No joke.

Perfect Answer. Thanks! :D

Omar Gonzales was just called up to the NT squad which will face Honduras in a friendly @ the end of January.

Team is made up of players from MLS and Scandinavian leagues - both taking winter breaks. There are nine uncapped players in the squad. He's one of them.

Omar Gonzales was just called up to the NT squad which will face Honduras in a friendly @ the end of January.

Team is made up of players from MLS and Scandinavian leagues - both taking winter breaks. There are nine uncapped players in the squad. He's one of them.

Thanks For The Update. :)

Odd Thing Was I Was Actually Thinking Of Selling Him Earlier :o