Lisandro and Lucho out - what now for Porto?

fadedwolfz

Guest Football8

Re: Lisandro and Lucho out - what now for Porto?

They seem to lose a few stars each season and still manage to get/make more stars and do well.

Every season FC Porto sells 2 or 3 important players in business envolving 20-30 million euros to have financial security but keeps some stars of the squad and hire cheap players with great quality to keep the competitive level of the team

Another great bit of business on Porto's part. 41 Million Euros gained from 2 players they payed 6 million for. Lucho has been replaced by Fernando Belluschi and Diego Valeri. Lisandro will be replaced by Falcao. Added with Varela, Orlando Sa, Pereira, Maicon, Coelho, Lopes.

take a look at this article:

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-fc-porto-news/2525-fc-porto-the-money-making-machine

Porto Chairman is king of business

They always buy young stars or cheap players afterthat sell them with hight pice: Deco, Carvalho, Ferreira, quaresma, Lucho, L.Lopez

I think next year Hulk, Gonzalez, Fernandes, Rolando.. will go bigger club

Another great bit of business on Porto's part. 41 Million Euros gained from 2 players they payed 6 million for. Lucho has been replaced by Fernando Belluschi and Diego Valeri. Lisandro will be replaced by Falcao. Added with Varela' date=' Orlando Sa, Pereira, Maicon, Coelho, Lopes.

take a look at this article:

[url']http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-fc-porto-news/2525-fc-porto-the-money-making-machine[/url]

They got Valeri?

They got Valeri?

No' date=' at least no yet.

Well, being a Porto fan, I believe I should clarify my position here:

Porto, before anything, is a seller club. Comparing to other congeners in the Champions League, our income through merchandising, TV rights, etc. is way behind the other clubs, specially ELP, La Liga and Serie A one´s. With little revenue we get from our domestic league, even though we are champions most of the years, there are only two ways to balance the deficit accumulated throughout the years: either getting far in the Champions League every year or selling players at high prices. Getting far in the Champions League, for obvious reasons, brings in money, which in turn temporarily withstands the need of selling. However, it also creates a paradox: if we manage to succeed in the CL, and get through a couple of rounds, it also means our player had their share in the success. And if the players had success, it means they played well and attracted interest from other top clubs, who have what Porto doesn´t: money. Hyped by their performances, Porto sells them. Bear in mind though that Porto doesn´t have their players for sale. We only do so if [i']the right offer[/i] comes in. And this is where Lyon and Marseille and other clubs kick in:

Lucho Gonzalez was our captain, a player that every team would like to have. Porto wanted to sell him? By no means. At most we were willing to sell Lisandro, Bruno Alves and possibly Cissokho. However Lucho is currently 28 years old and it won´t take long before turning 29. The offer from Marsellie was just too good to reject (18M plus up to 6M through various conditions. All in all, the transfer can reach the 24M mark) for a player of his age. Not only that, but also Porto just lost the highest wage in the squad (maintaining Lucho had it´s costs). For the fans, Lucho would have ended his career here. But the board acted rationally confronted with these facts, and opted to sell Lucho, and rightly so may I add. Also, after spending four years here, and winning 4 domestic leagues, it is normal that Lucho didn´t have the same competitive vein in comparison to his first two years. I would also like to give great emphasis to the fact that Lucho asked an utterly abusive contract to Marseille, because deep down, he didn´t want to leave, like he said on an interview. But Marseille accepted it, and now he is their player. Will I miss him? Definitely, but so did I with Deco/Maniche/Ricardo Carvalho, etc. and both me and Porto are still alive. The club comes before any player, and if selling Lucho was necessary for assuring the financial sustainability, then so be it.

As for Lisandro, it is a different case. He was an influential player ON the pitch, but not OFF the pitch, which didn´t put him in the same standard as Lucho. He had 2 years left on his contract and he was not willing to renew it. If Porto kept hold of him, next year various clubs would apply pressure for Porto to sell him cheaply and we probably would have to submit, otherwise we would face the risk of Lisandro leaving without getting any profit. But if we were letting him leave this summer, we also expected a good offer for him. And 24M plus 4M through conditions for a player who has 2 years on his contract is a good offer, and if I´m not mistaken, the second highest in La Ligue after Anelka´s transfer move to PSG.

So, in the end, Porto loses two of their most influential and charismatic players. But life goes on, and both are past now. We will probably lose Bruno Alves to Barcelona as well, and a transfer move for Cissokho is also in the cards, but after these two transfers, I´m ready for everything. It is the danger of being a Porto fan: we cannot give ourselves the luxury of getting attached to a player. Because the risk of him leaving is always very high.