Oxegen

J_B_K

Oxegen is an annual Irish music festival held since 2004, sponsored by Heineken. Now Ireland's biggest festival, it was previously called Witnness, which ran from 2000 and was sponsored by Guinness. The event is promoted by MCD. Oxegen was originally a three-day festival but for 2008 was expanded to four days. It takes place at the Punchestown Racecourse in County Kildare, Ireland and has an average attendance of around 90,000 a day, with around 80,000 of these camping on site for the duration, and the rest travelling to the site each day. It takes place on the same weekend as T in the Park in Scotland and shares a very similar line-up each year, although Oxegen is generally regarded as Ireland's version of the world-renowned Glastonbury Festival, with the 2008 festival sharing three of the same headliners as its English counterpart.

Oxegen has attracted significant attention from outside Ireland, with many of those attending travelling from overseas. Members of bands such as The Killers, Snow Patrol and R.E.M. have spoken positively of their experiences at the festival. Celebrities frequently attend, including models Helena Christensen (a regular attendant) and Glenda Gilson, American television personality Chris Pontius, actor Josh Hartnett, and Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones, who was pursued by "half the journalists in the country" and many of his own relatives for much of the 2008 festival.

Oxegen '09 will take place over three days (reports of a four-day festival remain unconfirmed[ as do rumours, described as "ridiculous", that a 6PM curfew will be imposed on the Sunday[) between 10-12 July with Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Blur and The Killers confirmed as the headliners.

Friday 10 July

Main Stage:

* Blur

* Snow Patrol

* The Script

* Lily Allen

* James

* The Coronas

* The Artane Boys Band & The Brilliant Things

The O2 Stage:

* Keane

* Pendulum

* Fun Lovin' Criminals

* Therapy?

* The Answer

* Telegraphs

Heineken Green Spheres:

* 2 Many DJ's

* Republic of Loose

* Mogwai

* Fight Like Apes

* Dreadzone

* God Is An Astronaut

* Dirty Epics

Saturday 11 July

Main Stage:

* Kings of Leon

* Bloc Party

* Elbow

* Yeah Yeah Yeahs

* James Morrison

* The Blizzards

* Squeeze

* The Saw Doctors

The O2 Stage:

* Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

* Doves

* The Mars Volta

* Maxïmo Park

* Eagles of Death Metal

* The Game

* The Gaslight Anthem

* Red Light Company

Heineken Green Spheres:

* Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club

* Pet Shop Boys

* TV on the Radio

* Peter Doherty

* Regina Spektor

* The Saturdays

* Daniel Merriweather

* Gary Go

* Fred

Sunday 12 July

Main Stage:

* The Killers

* Razorlight

* The Specials

* Paolo Nutini

* Lady GaGa

* Calvin Harris

* Ocean Color Scene

The O2 Stage:

* Nine Inch Nails

* Jane's Addiction

* The Ting Tings

* Katy Perry

* White Lies

* Starsailor

* You Me At Six

* The Horrors

Heineken Green Spheres:

* Manic Street Preachers

* Glasvegas

* Jason Mraz

* Foals

* Friendly Fires

* That Petrol Emotion

* Noisettes

* Iglu & Hartly

Im going :D only on the Friday, Just found out :D

Anybody else going ?

Re: Oxegen

I'm going. :D:D Was down lat year and it was absolutely class!

Heading down tomorrow and coming back on Monday. :) Got a load of drink today and just needa pack it up now. :o

Only bands I want to see on Friday are Pendulum and Blur.... and they sorta class times too. Ah well. :( Line up doesn't compare much at all compared to last years.

Someone I Know Is Playing On The Main Stage :eek: Friggen Awesome or What :D

He's In The Artane "Boys" Band & There Playing With Another Band Or Something.. He'l Be Playing His Instrument & Also His Guitar for 2 Songs..

Anyway never been to oxygen or witness & will contiune and try to avoid it, not my scene & i dont know whats all the fuss is about :rolleyes:

Someone I Know Is Playing On The Main Stage :eek: Friggen Awesome or What :D

He's In The Artane "Boys" Band & There Playing With Another Band Or Something.. He'l Be Playing His Instrument & Also His Guitar for 2 Songs..

Anyway never been to oxygen or witness & will contiune and try to avoid it' date=' not my scene & i dont know whats all the fuss is about :rolleyes:[/quote']

You need to go to release what all the fuss is about!!!

I'm going. :D:D Was down lat year and it was absolutely class!

Heading down tomorrow and coming back on Monday. :) Got a load of drink today and just needa pack it up now. :o

Only bands I want to see on Friday are Pendulum and Blur.... and they sorta class times too. Ah well. :( Line up doesn't compare much at all compared to last years.

They might be getting alot stricter and start checking everybodys bags

but its easy to avoid

Just get a thing of sun screen and empty it

put a small plastic bag in it

and fill with drink :)

And i might see you there

They might be getting alot stricter and start checking everybodys bags

but its easy to avoid

Just get a thing of sun screen and empty it

put a small plastic bag in it

and fill with drink :)

And i might see you there

Why? They allow you to take drink in anyway, just not in glass bottles. :) But good idea none the less. :P Yer, we might bump into each other and we never even knew it... ;) No doubt I'll be out of it. :D

Why? They allow you to take drink in anyway' date=' just not in glass bottles. :) But good idea none the less. :P Yer, we might bump into each other and we never even knew it... ;) No doubt I'll be out of it. :D[/quote']

Il prob be in the VIP thing :)

Oh yeah. Why the heck would you wanna go there. :P

Blue Campsite is where its at if your camping and the Xbox Live Stage. :D

The reason ?

Well i just got asked do i want to go today so i dont care where i am

+

If its raining its coverd ;)

Well unfortunately (I hate to say it), this years Oxegen sucked! Mainly because of the weather - it put a lot of people in a terrible mood and just ruined the whole atmosphere for the Saturday at least and part of the Sunday. Although Thursdays drinking session was good and Friday too... got totally wasted and saw Pendulum and my god they were amazing! But for the Saturday and Sunday, well the place was totally covered in mud and I didn't bring wellies this year!! :( So my shoes got pretty ruined and I just didn't have the heart to go and see anyone at all play, although I still saw Kings of Leon and the The Killers, whilst missing NIN! Didn't see Blur either, but I heard they were rubbish anyway. Compared to last year, this year doesn't rate at all but maybe that's partially due to the fact that last year was my first year and all. The craic was still good though, but I doubt I will spend around 500e to go again next year. I think I'd prefer to go on a holiday or interrailing across Europe.

Festivals aren't about music and bands alone. It's about the atmosphere and experience and i know with Glastonbury it's ever changing weather was one thing that made it so good. When i went to Glasto 08, it rained first two days, and i was sun-burnt when i was on my way back to Manchester and regardless of weather i trudged in knee-high mud at times to see Foals, yet i basked in the sun listening to Leonard Cohen as the sun was setting.

Festivals aren't about music and bands alone. It's about the atmosphere and experience and i know with Glastonbury it's ever changing weather was one thing that made it so good. When i went to Glasto 08' date=' it rained first two days, and i was sun-burnt when i was on my way back to Manchester and regardless of weather i trudged in knee-high mud at times to see Foals, yet i basked in the sun listening to Leonard Cohen as the sun was setting.[/quote']

I know that, thats why I said the craic was good (basically means the fun we had). I go as much as anyone for that lol But the weather means you can't really sit outside and drink and stuff or go mad for that fact without getting absolutely covered in mud, which just isn't fun in my eyes...

I know that' date=' thats why I said the craic was good (basically means the fun we had). I go as much as anyone for that lol But the weather means you can't really sit outside and drink and stuff or go mad for that fact without getting absolutely covered in mud, which just isn't fun in my eyes...[/quote']

Hmm questionable. I found it quite fan, i can remember that i was pelted int he face with a beach ball full of mud, before being drop-kicked in the mosh-pit to Rise Against, leaving me with a muddy body. But s'all in the experience of Glastonbury. But if it doesn't suit you which your right, not many do like being covered in mud for fun, well thats your view. I think Fest's are only class based on how you find it and whether it suited your preferences, music wise and weather wise. Obviously your first festival is always gonna be the best, V Fest when i was 13 was amazing and i'll never forget watching The Killers. I'm volunterring next year hopefully for Glasto, working for Oxfam, Free Tickets here i come.

Well unfortunately (I hate to say it)' date=' this years Oxegen sucked! Mainly because of the weather - it put a lot of people in a terrible mood and just ruined the whole atmosphere for the Saturday at least and part of the Sunday. Although Thursdays drinking session was good and Friday too... got totally wasted and saw Pendulum and my god they were amazing! But for the Saturday and Sunday, well the place was totally covered in mud and I didn't bring wellies this year!! :( So my shoes got pretty ruined and I just didn't have the heart to go and see anyone at all play, although I still saw Kings of Leon and the The Killers, whilst missing NIN! Didn't see Blur either, but I heard they were rubbish anyway. Compared to last year, this year doesn't rate at all but maybe that's partially due to the fact that last year was my first year and all. The craic was still good though, but I doubt I will spend around 500e to go again next year. I think I'd prefer to go on a holiday or interrailing across Europe.[/quote']

Pendulum were good and so were Blur

+

You did know you could have traded you shoes for wellies there ?

One thing about Blur is after songs he just start staring at the ferris wheel for abit.

Main reason as he said later is he was high and we should all do it

Hmm questionable. I found it quite fan' date=' i can remember that i was pelted int he face with a beach ball full of mud, before being drop-kicked in the mosh-pit to Rise Against, leaving me with a muddy body. But s'all in the experience of Glastonbury. But if it doesn't suit you which your right, not many do like being covered in mud for fun, well thats your view. I think Fest's are only class based on how you find it and whether it suited your preferences, music wise and weather wise. Obviously your first festival is always gonna be the best, V Fest when i was 13 was amazing and i'll never forget watching The Killers. I'm volunterring next year hopefully for Glasto, working for Oxfam, Free Tickets here i come.[/quote']

It wouldn't be so bad if you had like all the proper gear with you (wellies, wet gear, towels etc.), but when you go prepared for it to be sunny its quite a shock and a downer really - I dont care what anyone says, I would rather it be sunny. Also volunteering is alright but wouldn't be for me lol Just wouldn't be able to have the same fun.

Pendulum were good and so were Blur

+

You did know you could have traded you shoes for willies there ?

One thing about Blur is after songs he just start staring at the ferris whell for abit.

Main reason as he said later is he was high and we should all do it

Pendulum were class! Especially if you were at the front getting crushed! (Although not for my friend who got a knife pulled on him lol)

Yeah I knew that but I tried to stick it out as they were my old shoes and by the time I was gonna trade them in there was none there my size...

Yeah I heard he was off this t*ts lol Heard he left the stage for a bit all low and came back after a while hyper haha. Would never do Class A myself. (Although I nearly did :|)