Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

There are many great threads on this forum, and for this one to be ranked equally, I have tried to, and shall continue to be taking individual characteristics from different places. Some you may notice, although others may be concealed subtlely due to me putting my own individual stamp on things.

For this feature, which I shall make a weekly feature, at least in the offseason, it is difficult for me to differ too greatly. So, thanks to Phillippe Nguyen for the good idea as it is one that I like. Here is a transfer round-up from the previous week.

Official Transfers

Paul Robinson (West Brom - Bolton; Season-Long Loan)

A bit of a baffling move for me, especially on Bolton's part. In my view, although he may be experienced, Premiership football is just a step too high for Robinson. I would have thought that he'd be simply backup at Bolton, although their small squad could see him get some opportunities. For West Brom, they lose one of their most senior, experienced players, especially with the departure of Greening as well likely. You would have thought that they would wish to hang on to him, as he is, at the end of the day, a decent Championship defender.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jermaine Easter (Plymouth - MK Dons; Undisclosed)

Easter's unsettled spell at the south coast side comes to an end as he moves to MK Dons in a two-year deal. Despite impressing on loan for the Pilgrims, when he made the move permanent, he never could quite make that step up to Championship level. However, he was never settled at Plymouth and he spent time on loan at Colchester and Millwall. Still a talented player and he should be a good signing for Paul Ince.

Bradley Wright-Phillips (Southampton - Plymouth; Free)

Paul Sturrock didn't waste much time in replacing the outgoing Easter, completing a deal for SWP's younger brother the very next day who was released by relegated Southampton at the end of last season. Not the finished article, and he will always be living in his brother's shadow, but his sheer pace is exciting enough alone. Should be a good signing for Plymouth, and I reckon a 10-goal haul this season from the lad would be a decent return.

Andy Taylor (Tranmere - Sheff Utd; Undisclosed)

United prepare for the inevitable sale of Kyle Naughton (and possibly his namesake, Kyle Walker) to Premier League foe by bringing in Taylor from Tranmere. The Blades have struggled to close out deals this off-season, but managed to seal this deal in double-quick time. Still young at the age of 23, Kevin Blackwell will be pleased to have signed a replacement for Naughton well before the season's gets underway.

Liam Dickinson (Derby - Brighton; Undisclosed)

A precocious talent who never got the chance he deserved while at Derby. Was one of the key members of the Stockport side that were promoted to League One, Dickinson was wasted before and after Paul Jewell got the sack. Loaned out to a string of clubs over the past year, Dickinson will always score you goals, particularly at his new level. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him back in the CCC before to long, with or without his new side.

Shaun Barker (Blackpool - Derby; £1m)

Derby beat of stiff competition from bitter rival Nottingham Forest, among others, to snare centre-back Shaun Barker from the Tangerines. County's iffy defensive line will be bolstered by this good signing, although the hefty price tag will need to be justified. At 26, Barker is in his prime and is an experienced professional, as proven by his captaincy at the seaside outfit.

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough - Aston Villa; £12m)

Certainly the biggest signing in or out of the CCC thus far this summer, Downing is a good addition to the already large number of England internationals at Villa Park. His long-term injury sustained at the end of last season put a summer move in doubt, although he would likely have moved on in January regardless. Middlesbrough will miss him, of course, although the money could go some way to finding a replacement, and others. The question is, can Southgate make the right signings to enable an assault at promotion next term?

Jure Travner (NK Celje - Watford; Undisclosed)

Watford go Slovenian in their latest dip into the transfer market as former Slovenia Under-21 international Travner follows Scott Severin and Danny Graham to Vicarage Road. Little is known of the defender, who plays left-back, but is also able to appear at centre-back. At the very least, he shall add depth to the Hornet's defensive line.

Jason Scotland (Swansea - Wigan; £2m)

Trinidad and Tobago international Jason Scotland continues to charge through the English leagues, stepping up to the highest tier after only one, albeit very successful, season in the CCC. New Wigan manager, Roberto Martinez, raids his former club to sign the 30-year-old hitman and the strong, physical striker should find his game suits the EPL well. A big loss to Swansea, and you begin to wonder where their goals shall come from next term after the loss of Jordi Gomez, and now Scotland.

Almost finalised deals:

Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea - Reading; Season-Long Loan)

Krystian Pearce (Birmingham - Peterborough; Season-Long Loan)

Chris Gunter (Tottenham - Notts Forest; £1.75m)

David Preece (Unnatached - Barnsley; Free)

Paul McKenna (Preston - Notts Forest; £750,000)

Lewin Nyatanga (Derby - Bristol City; Undisclosed)

There are many great threads on this forum' date=' and for this one to be ranked equally, I have tried to, and shall continue to be taking individual characteristics from different places. Some you may notice, although others may be concealed subtlely due to me putting my own individual stamp on things.

For this feature, which I shall make a weekly feature, at least in the offseason, it is difficult for me to differ too greatly. So, thanks to Phillippe Nguyen for the good idea as it is one that I like. Here is a transfer round-up from the previous week.

[center']Official Transfers[/center]

Paul Robinson (West Brom - Wigan; Season-Long Loan)

A bit of a baffling move for me, especially on Wigan's part. In my view, although he may be experienced, Premiership football is just a step too high for Robinson. I would have thought that he'd be simply backup at Bolton, although their small squad could see him get some opportunities. For West Brom, they lose one of their most senior, experienced players, especially with the departure of Greening as well likely. You would have thought that they would wish to hang on to him, as he is, at the end of the day, a decent Championship defender.

Jermaine Easter (Plymouth - MK Dons; Undisclosed)

Easter's unsettled spell at the south coast side comes to an end as he moves to MK Dons in a two-year deal. Despite impressing on loan for the Pilgrims, when he made the move permanent, he never could quite make that step up to Championship level. However, he was never settled at Plymouth and he spent time on loan at Colchester and Millwall. Still a talented player and he should be a good signing for Paul Ince.

Bradley Wright-Phillips (Southampton - Plymouth; Free)

Paul Sturrock didn't waste much time in replacing the outgoing Easter, completing a deal for SWP's younger brother the very next day who was released by relegated Southampton at the end of last season. Not the finished article, and he will always be living in his brother's shadow, but his sheer pace is exciting enough alone. Should be a good signing for Plymouth, and I reckon a 10-goal haul this season from the lad would be a decent return.

Andy Taylor (Tranmere - Sheff Utd; Undisclosed)

United prepare for the inevitable sale of Kyle Naughton (and possibly his namesake, Kyle Walker) to Premier League foe by bringing in Taylor from Tranmere. The Blades have struggled to close out deals this off-season, but managed to seal this deal in double-quick time. Still young at the age of 23, Kevin Blackwell will be pleased to have signed a replacement for Naughton well before the season's gets underway.

Liam Dickinson (Derby - Brighton; Undisclosed)

A precocious talent who never got the chance he deserved while at Derby. Was one of the key members of the Stockport side that were promoted to League One, Dickinson was wasted before and after Paul Jewell got the sack. Loaned out to a string of clubs over the past year, Dickinson will always score you goals, particularly at his new level. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him back in the CCC before to long, with or without his new side.

Shaun Barker (Blackpool - Derby; £1m)

Derby beat of stiff competition from bitter rival Nottingham Forest, among others, to snare centre-back Shaun Barker from the Tangerines. County's iffy defensive line will be bolstered by this good signing, although the hefty price tag will need to be justified. At 26, Barker is in his prime and is an experienced professional, as proven by his captaincy at the seaside outfit.

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough - Aston Villa; £12m)

Certainly the biggest signing in or out of the CCC thus far this summer, Downing is a good addition to the already large number of England internationals at Villa Park. His long-term injury sustained at the end of last season put a summer move in doubt, although he would likely have moved on in January regardless. Middlesbrough will miss him, of course, although the money could go some way to finding a replacement, and others. The question is, can Southgate make the right signings to enable an assault at promotion next term?

Jure Travner (NK Celje - Watford; Undisclosed)

Watford go Slovenian in their latest dip into the transfer market as former Slovenia Under-21 international Travner follows Scott Severin and Danny Graham to Vicarage Road. Little is known of the defender, who plays left-back, but is also able to appear at centre-back. At the very least, he shall add depth to the Hornet's defensive line.

Jason Scotland (Swansea - Wigan; £2m)

Trinidad and Tobago international Jason Scotland continues to charge through the English leagues, stepping up to the highest tier after only one, albeit very successful, season in the CCC. New Wigan manager, Roberto Martinez, raids his former club to sign the 30-year-old hitman and the strong, physical striker should find his game suits the EPL well. A big loss to Swansea, and you begin to wonder where their goals shall come from next term after the loss of Jordi Gomez, and now Scotland.

Almost finalised deals:

Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea - Reading; Season-Long Loan)

Krystian Pearce (Birmingham - Peterborough; Season-Long Loan)

Chris Gunter (Tottenham - Notts Forest; £1.75m)

David Preece (Unnatached - Barnsley; Free)

Paul McKenna (Preston - Notts Forest; £750,000)

Lewin Nyatanga (Derby - Bristol City; Undisclosed)

He went to Bolton :)

Arm swinging, badge kissing so and so he is :P

Great thread btw!

He went to Bolton :)

Arm swinging' date=' badge kissing so and so he is :P

Great thread btw![/quote']

Thanks for that pal. I did write Bolton in there somewhere, so I did know really...honest! :P

Cheers, hopefully it can be a popular attraction for all the Championship fans on the forum.

Just a quick thread update:

For those who are interested, I have now (almost) completed the first club preview in preparation for the new season. I have done a comprehensive review of Coventry City (don't ask me why I've finished that one first!) apart from reviewing their key summer signing - because they haven't signed anyone yet! I shall also complete each side's 2009/10 prediction closer to the start of the season to give me a chance to evaluate the squad's better as more and more signings are made. My aim is to finish at least one club per day, in time for the start of the season.

EDIT: Now completed with squad stats in preparation for the first game of the season.

Nice write ups man :)

Summed Coventry up perfectly.

We just made our first signing of the summer btw.

Sammy Clingan from Norwich has just been confirmed.

Unfortunately we lost Dan Fox to Celtic.:(

Ah, that's good to hear then! I'd seen that you were after Clingan, but I thought that deal had fallen through. I saw that about Fox today, as well, which is a shame for you. Would you class him as more of a loss than Dann? I know Fox had a good season last year.

Personally I rated Fox higher than Dan and felt we should've kept onto him for at least another season. If the rumored figure of 1.5 mill is to be believed as well I'll be gutted as I reckon he was worth double that at least considering he was the championship lb of the season and he had no intention of leaving. The loss of fox has overshadowed the signing of Clingan though and a lot of our fans our writing him off before he has even played for us purely taking their anger out on him after the loss of 2 of our best players.

On a positive note if we sign a decent left winger we could have a stronger midfield than we have had for a long time with Gunnarsson and Sammy in the middle and Bell on the right.

Personally I rated Fox higher than Dan and felt we should've kept onto him for at least another season. If the rumored figure of 1.5 mill is to be believed as well I'll be gutted as I reckon he was worth double that at least considering he was the championship lb of the season and he had no intention of leaving. The loss of fox has overshadowed the signing of Clingan though and a lot of our fans our writing him off before he has even played for us purely taking their anger out on him after the loss of 2 of our best players.

On a positive note if we sign a decent left winger we could have a stronger midfield than we have had for a long time with Gunnarsson and Sammy in the middle and Bell on the right.

I did think that actually, as he can't have been in the PFA Championship team of the season for no reason. If that's the case, it seems a criminal fee to let him go for, considering how much you got for Dann.

I may well change him to be your biggest loss of the offseason, then.

Good thread. Anyway I think Newcastle will be relegated. Hughton has said he will most likely be in charge for the start of the season, will not be able to sign any players and has no control of who will be sold. Recipe for disaster. Good luck to all the other teams for the upcoming season. Should be interesting this year as a few good sides are in now (Sheffield United, West Brom, Reading and Middlesbrough).

Good thread. Anyway I think Newcastle will be relegated. Hughton has said he will most likely be in charge for the start of the season' date=' will not be able to sign any players and has no control of who will be sold. Recipe for disaster. Good luck to all the other teams for the upcoming season. Should be interesting this year as a few good sides are in now (Sheffield United, West Brom, Reading and Middlesbrough).[/quote']

Thanks.

I do think it depends on how quickly you can sort your mess out, but it doesn't look any closer to that than 3-4 weeks ago. You desperately need to start shipping players out and bringing in a few players to make you compete because, as proven by your recent friendly defeat to Leyton Orient, your current lot don't look like they care about playing at this level.

Thanks.

I do think it depends on how quickly you can sort your mess out' date=' but it doesn't look any closer to that than 3-4 weeks ago. You desperately need to start shipping players out and bringing in a few players to make you compete because, as proven by your recent friendly defeat to Leyton Orient, your current lot don't look like they care about playing at this level.[/quote']

The press have overdone it with the result. Yes it was a shocking performance but in the other games the players have done well beating Shamrock Rovers 3-0, Darlington 7-2 and Huddersfield 1-0 but no-one went over the top about those results like they are doing now. Pre season games generally do not mean much and the only indicator will be the league games. Hughton was no good when he was in charge in periods of last season. Some players do care but its not enough as its about 3 or 4 in the squad.

What do you think of Sheffield Wedensday's chances of going up this year?

The press have overdone it with the result. Yes it was a shocking performance but in the other games the players have done well beating Shamrock Rovers 3-0' date=' Darlington 7-2 and Huddersfield 1-0 but no-one went over the top about those results like they are doing now. Pre season games generally do not mean much and the only indicator will be the league games. Hughton was no good when he was in charge in periods of last season. Some players do care but its not enough as its about 3 or 4 in the squad.

What do you think of Sheffield Wedensday's chances of going up this year?[/quote']

Very true. When you thrash Darlington, everyone goes, "so what? It's only Darlington." Yet when you suffer a bad defeat, the media has a field day.

As for us, I would say little-to-no chance whatsoever. Laws and co are aiming for the play-offs, but I'm a far more realistic person. I know that if things went well for us, we got a good start and we remained relatively injury-free, we could have a shot at the play-offs. But I know for sure that none of those things will happen and we'll get too many injuries again, as per every season. When you've got a small squad like we have (with an even thinner amount of talent), then form suffers.

Burnley `proved last year you dont need a big squad to get success. Over 60 games with only 23 players speaks for itself. Anyway im starting to get a bit worried at our camp, only lost Downing and until Mido, Tuncay, O´Neil and co are gone Southgate has said we can´t bring players in. The worry is that we start the season with these players but come 28th/29th of August theres a fire sale and they leave which means we have no time to get in replacements. Unlike Newcastle I think us and West Brom can keep the majority of our teams which can help us. I think they reported yearly wage bill at Newcastle was something like 20 million? Can´t remember really but Im sure it was about that. Theres probably about 12 teams in the CCC looking for promotion so its not as if its clear cut we´re going back up scenario.

The yearly wage bill is something closer to 60 million Wes. Viduka and Owen had £10 million between them this year. Geremi, Beye, Butt, Nolan, Barton, Duff, Enrique, Coloccini, Xisco, Martins and Jonas are all on massive wages. Will be Leeds all over again if the club is not sold.

Personally I think your one of the favourites even with all the chaos going round. Lose all your high paid idiot and you´ll still have a decent side.

The mess never goes away. Even if we get rid of them all Ashley is going to leave Hughton in charge. The odds on Newcastle being relegated will be really high (100/1 or something) but in reality I think we are one of the favourites.

Even Shearer didn´t cover himself in glory last season. Who´d you want in charge?

ANYONE! Its so desperate at the moment I would take anyone with Championship experience. Ideally I would like Shearer but its looking less likely by the day. Someone like Alan Curbishley would be nice.

ANYONE! Its so desperate at the moment I would take anyone with Championship experience. Ideally I would like Shearer but its looking less likely by the day. Someone like Alan Curbishley would be nice.

Great shout with Curbs, I am realising that I agree with you on so many things!

This may not be a popular shout but Gordon Strachan may be able to do a job.