Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

They couldn't even manage that against us!! :P

What a great away day that was B)

When you came to play us' date=' you racked up loads and loads of passes by playing the ball between the back four and GK. If you did that a lot then you'd soon rack up hundreds of passes per game.[/quote']

We're a completely different side to what we were earlier on in the season. At the start of the season we were ok, just relied on Sinclair for goals really and got plenty of wins mainly because of our keeper and back four. But towards the end of the season, mainly after the Cardiff game when we started playing Stephen Dobbie things have picked up. Just completely tearing teams apart, with our home record after Cardiff being:

Swansea City 3-0 Doncaster Rovers

Swansea City 3-0 Leeds United

Swansea City 1-1 Watford

Swansea City 3-2 Nottingham Forest

Swansea City 3-0 Norwich City

Swansea City 1-1 Hull City

Swansea City 4-1 Ipswich Town

Swansea City 4-0 Sheffield United

Swansea City 3-1 Nottingham Forest

We're absoloutly tearing teams apart, and whilst away our form has been poor at this time it picked up towards the last couple of away games where we've finally found some grit.

Anyway, this is the sort of build up we've managed this season:

kXoKiSYWPt4

Skip to 2:40 to avoid just looking at pictures of our players, and from there you can see why we're in the play-off final. And why we're unlucky our away form has been so poor, and we're not instead in the automatics.

If anyones interested we have appointed ex sheffield wednesday player & manager and general all-round poor manager' date=' danny wilson.

Any Bristol fans on here? If so, what did you think to him and his style?[/quote']

I don't know about Bristol (although I'm amazed you're referring to them as just "Bristol" considering who you support) but at Swindon he had a great first full season (5th, play-off final) and the complete opposite second season (sacked sitting dead bottom in the latter stages of the season). Similar team. First season they probably over-achieved slightly, but this season they were well capable of a top-half finish. He just lost the dressing room and was incapable of turning round a losing run.

Make of that what you will. Better than Blackwell or Adams though.

I don't think he's that good' date=' he's just managed to settle in at Posh and be a key for that particular team.

Peterborough may well go up, but if he leaves them, I can't see Craig Mackail Smith scoring double figures in the Championship next season. He'll probably end up being next season's top scorer but that's just my personal opinion :P[/quote']

He has improved no end especially since McLean left. His work rate and blistering pace has never been in question but his all round game has got better.

Well Swanseajack he scored 10 league goals in 2009/10 for Posh in the championship and was in a poor/struggling side. He will score double figures in the championship shame it's not with Posh even if we do go up!

He has improved no end especially since McLean left. His work rate and blistering pace has never been in question but his all round game has got better.

Well Swanseajack he scored 10 league goals in 2009/10 for Posh in the championship and was in a poor/struggling side. He will score double figures in the championship shame it's not with Posh even if we do go up!

Yes he's a good player, but i don't personally feel that Posh will go up - and for sure i didn't when i made the post. At a new club i don't think he'll do aswell and i stand by comment. But everyone's entitled to an opinion, and i can see why you would rate him with the 34 goals he's scored this season.

Yes he's a good player' date=' but i don't personally feel that Posh will go up - and for sure i didn't when i made the post. At a new club i don't think he'll do aswell and i stand by comment. But everyone's entitled to an opinion, and i can see why you would rate him with the 34 goals he's scored this season.[/quote']

Fair enough that's the beauty of debate! He will improve I feel with better players too hence moving to a bigger club.

We shall see Sunday it we go up or not. Come on!

Heard today that Paul Hayes is off to Derby. Could be some legs in this as he was subject to a loan bid last season and has been told he can leave by Phil Brown.

Also Ipswich have bid for St Ledger but he has apparently turned them down despite Phil Brown telling him he will have to leave to balance the books.

Think he could end up at one of the Midlands clubs not sure which one but i know West Brom have been sniffing around for the past 12 months

Not sure if id be happy with this at all. Glick has said he is targeting top 6. Im not sure Paul Hayes is the type of player who is going to get us into that position.

Id reserve real judgement until watching him for a number of games. Would u preston fellas be disapointed to lose him?

Not entirely sure where to post this so..., Dowie to manage west ham, wanted west ham to stay up now there down and now they have dowie i wouldnt be surprised if they finished in bottom 4.

Not confirmed hes manager just yet :P

Not sure if id be happy with this at all. Glick has said he is targeting top 6. Im not sure Paul Hayes is the type of player who is going to get us into that position.

Id reserve real judgement until watching him for a number of games. Would u preston fellas be disapointed to lose him?

He's proved at Scunny that he can be an asset to a team but to be truthful he has been a massive disappointment at Preston.

Lacks any real pace, Cant finish and i have never known a player be offside as much as he is especially from set pieces.

The move to us just hasn't worked out for him and with him taking a big wage i have to say i won't miss him.

Not entirely sure where to post this so...' date=' Dowie to manage west ham, wanted west ham to stay up now there down and now they have dowie i wouldnt be surprised if they finished in bottom 4.

Not confirmed hes manager just yet :P[/quote']

Rats. Hoped Jones would get it so we'd get compensation.

I don't know about Bristol (although I'm amazed you're referring to them as just "Bristol" considering who you support) but at Swindon he had a great first full season (5th' date=' play-off final) and the complete opposite second season (sacked sitting dead bottom in the latter stages of the season). Similar team. First season they probably over-achieved slightly, but this season they were well capable of a top-half finish. He just lost the dressing room and was incapable of turning round a losing run.

Make of that what you will. Better than Blackwell or Adams though.[/quote']

No offence meant to City or Rovers (Bristol city or rovers that is)...

Would rather have Adams tbh...Willson has been responsible for more relegations than promotions :s

Apparently 400-500 people were at a protest before the press conference today, quite laughable tbh but I guess it's the only way to show the man at the top you aint happy :/

Kilkenny and Johnson both set to leave on frees.

Absolute p!ss-poor management once again. Gradel and Schmeichel out of contract next summer. Gradel just had the season of his career. Do we offer him a new long-term deal to prevent another Beckford situation? Do we frick, we let him get into last year of his contract and no doubt sell him for pennies in January or let him go for free too. Harvey is the most inept businessman in football, absolute idiot. I absolutely despise Bates right now, being a lying crook is one thing, letting your best players go free is another.

I'm not so fussed about losing Johnson, it's Kilkenny I'm gutted about. But between them they're probably worth £1m-£2m in today's market. And we're letting them go to rivals / Premiership clubs for nothing. Why. The decision-making baffles me.

Both are very limited players, but together they were fantastic. After we lost 0-4 to Cardiff, these two played together and we won 9, drew 5 and lost 0 for the rest of the season. Stats show that if we'd got the point we accumulated with them playing together over 46 games, we'd have come 2nd. It was loaning in two youngsters who couldn't give a dámn on short-term loans and putting them in for two of our longest serving players that cost us promotion/play-offs. For all his supposed ability, Bannan was poor and Livermore was abysmal.

Kilkenny is one of the most limited footballers I know, but boy does he make us tick. He's one of a rare breed of players who are happy to sit deep, get the ball of the defence and pass it around. When he played we kept on average 15% more possession, conceded 0.66 goals a game, scored over 2 goals a game and created over twice as many chances. Those stats are incredible. When he didn't play, we were average at best, scraping results here and there, losing the rest to some very poor teams who couldn't win for toffee (no offence Derby, Blunts, Palace fans...).

The aim was to get promoted, consolidate, then build on that. We've consolidated, but instead of building on what we've got, we're having to completely rebuild. And the worrying thing is, I just can't see us replacing these with any better footballers. We should be able to, but Bates is a crook who by his own admission refuses to put any more into the club (whilst spending the millions we have made on pavilions and hotels, with a few other million completely unaccounted for... where has it gone Ken??). Instead we'll scour the free market for any aging never-has-beens (Montgomery and Southern are the most heavily-linked) and buy other Championship clubs reserve players. How are we meant to make a serious challenge with that?

Pathetic management.

Kilkenny and Johnson both set to leave on frees.

Absolute p!ss-poor management once again. Gradel and Schmeichel out of contract next summer. Gradel just had the season of his career. Do we offer him a new long-term deal to prevent another Beckford situation? Do we frick' date=' we let him get into last year of his contract and no doubt sell him for pennies in January or let him go for free too. Harvey is the most inept businessman in football, absolute idiot. I absolutely despise Bates right now, being a lying crook is one thing, letting your best players go free is another.

I'm not so fussed about losing Johnson, it's Kilkenny I'm gutted about. But between them they're probably worth £1m-£2m in today's market. And we're letting them go to rivals / Premiership clubs for nothing. Why. The decision-making baffles me.

Both are very limited players, but together they were fantastic. After we lost 0-4 to Cardiff, these two played together and we won 9, drew 5 and lost 0 for the rest of the season. Stats show that if we'd got the point we accumulated with them playing together over 46 games, we'd have come 2nd. It was loaning in two youngsters who couldn't give a dámn on short-term loans and putting them in for two of our longest serving players that cost us promotion/play-offs. For all his supposed ability, Bannan was poor and Livermore was abysmal.

Kilkenny is one of the most limited footballers I know, but boy does he make us tick. He's one of a rare breed of players who are happy to sit deep, get the ball of the defence and pass it around. When he played we kept on average 15% more possession, conceded 0.66 goals a game, scored over 2 goals a game and created over twice as many chances. Those stats are incredible. When he didn't play, we were average at best, scraping results here and there, losing the rest to some very poor teams who couldn't win for toffee (no offence Derby, Blunts, Palace fans...).

The aim was to get promoted, consolidate, then build on that. We've consolidated, but instead of building on what we've got, we're having to completely rebuild. And the worrying thing is, I just can't see us replacing these with any better footballers. We should be able to, but Bates is a crook who by his own admission refuses to put any more into the club (whilst spending the millions we have made on pavilions and hotels, with a few other million completely unaccounted for... where has it gone Ken??). Instead we'll scour the free market for any aging never-has-beens (Montgomery and Southern are the most heavily-linked) and buy other Championship clubs reserve players. How are we meant to make a serious challenge with that?

Pathetic management.[/quote']

I know you're obviously miffed and understandably so given the stats. But surely it was all about consolidating Championship football this year? Would I be right in saying you'd say these two are average players yeah? Well at Cardiff we're losing two key players. Jay Bothroyd & Chris Burke.

Regardless of what we've said about Bothroyd, he's been vital for the last two years. He added goals to his game this year as well as bringing people into play. (Also diving & playacting a lot more, but the less said the better eh?) Burkey's the one who angers me the most though. Surely the board know he's a massive fans favourite here & their complete disregard towards us is quite disgusting really. Now, we have to rebuild completely with only about 15 players still at thh club on permanant deals.

Remember, there's always a team worse off than you fella. :o

Guest Scout Maker

Well done your paying 15k+ for a striker who's had one good season :P he's not even that good ' date=' will get about 10 if that at champ level[/quote']

And where is this 15k figure coming from... :rolleyes:

I know you're obviously miffed and understandably so given the stats. But surely it was all about consolidating Championship football this year? Would I be right in saying you'd say these two are average players yeah? Well at Cardiff we're losing two key players. Jay Bothroyd & Chris Burke.

Regardless of what we've said about Bothroyd' date=' he's been vital for the last two years. He added goals to his game this year as well as bringing people into play. (Also diving & playacting a lot more, but the less said the better eh?) Burkey's the one who angers me the most though. Surely the board know he's a massive fans favourite here & their complete disregard towards us is quite disgusting really. Now, we have to rebuild completely with only about 15 players still at thh club on permanant deals.

Remember, there's always a team worse off than you fella. :o[/quote']

I can understand when it's the player's choice. Beckford left, Fair enough, he wanted to go to the PL. But when it's two less high-profile players who are only demanding a similar wage to the rest of our over-rated signings, and we refuse to pay them, it's ridiculous. Grayson under-rated Kilkenny so much and Bates refuses to cough up for two young players who continue to improve and have been part of the squad for years, whilst we will no doubt bring in a couple of over-the-hill players and pay them more than what Kilkenny and Johnson were after.

It's baffling man-management.

Oh no' date=' where are they going to find new nets with the game in 2 days time???[/quote']

Ive got a blow up goal in my garden?

I know how you feel guys, I know your losing key players but you have other good players to fall back on and build around.

We sold Rob Hulse for peanuts, didnt replace him but it was ok because we kept Commons fit.

We then sell Commo for 300k 300K! to Celtic where he is now analy abusing the rest of the division.

Looks like we are leading the chase for Bryson but Brighton, Hull and the lady boys of bancok are all interested. Hope we get him.

Ive got a blow up goal in my garden?

I know how you feel guys' date=' I know your losing key players but you have other good players to fall back on and build around.

We sold Rob Hulse for peanuts, didnt replace him but it was ok because we kept Commons fit.

We then sell Commo for 300k 300K! to Celtic where he is now analy abusing the rest of the division.

Looks like we are leading the chase for Bryson but Brighton, Hull and the lady boys of bancok are all interested. Hope we get him.

Agreed. Horrid and we need to seriously invest this summer.

You'll be using Jumpers for goalposts Aiden!

And it was great to see the best player in the world play on the greatest stage in the world, Park Ji-Sung.

I can understand when it's the player's choice. Beckford left' date=' Fair enough, he wanted to go to the PL. But when it's two less high-profile players who are only demanding a similar wage to the rest of our over-rated signings, and we refuse to pay them, it's ridiculous. Grayson under-rated Kilkenny so much and Bates refuses to cough up for two young players who continue to improve and have been part of the squad for years, whilst we will no doubt bring in a couple of over-the-hill players and pay them more than what Kilkenny and Johnson were after.

It's baffling man-management.[/quote']

Your obsession with Kilkenny baffles me. He is slow, gives the ball the away a lot and isn't very good positionaly. There are better players out there to replace him with.

Your obsession with Kilkenny baffles me. He is slow' date=' gives the ball the away a lot and isn't very good positionaly. There are better players out there to replace him with.[/quote']

Lol, obsession. What??

The stats don't lie. He's a limited footballer but he's the only one in our team who is willing to come deep, collect the ball off the defenders and get us playing. When he hasn't played, we've struggled. It's no coincidence.

He has many faults, but giving the ball away a lot is not one of them. What complete rubbish.

Go on then. Name them. Bannan was meant to be a Premiership footballer who was supposedly a much better version of Kilkenny, yet Kilkenny outshone him.

I wouldn't be too fussed in him (or Johnson) leaving if I was confident in us being able to improve on them. But judging Grayson's record in the transfer market and Bates' unwillingness to spend money, do you really have any confidence we'll sign anyone of real quality? More likely we'll sign some hopeless, over the hill mercenaries like Montgomery and Rae. Oh boy.

Lol' date=' obsession. What??

[b']You keep going on about wanting to keep him dispite that fact that losing Johnson is 10x worse and he isn't very good. PL teams are looking at him, doubt any are looking at Kilkenny.

[/b]

The stats don't lie. He's a limited footballer but he's the only one in our team who is willing to come deep, collect the ball off the defenders and get us playing. When he hasn't played, we've struggled. It's no coincidence.

Another player could do that

He has many faults, but giving the ball away a lot is not one of them. What complete rubbish.

Not it isn't

Go on then. Name them. Bannan was meant to be a Premiership footballer who was supposedly a much better version of Kilkenny, yet Kilkenny outshone him.

I'm not going to list a thousand players but Andy Reid, Bowyer, Zenden spring to mind, all available for free. Grayson has said that we relied too much on loanees last season but that doesn't mean Leeds couldn't couldn't get more in. And Bannan was never given a proper chance

whats the point in getting another player in who is going to do Kilkennys job if you already have Kilkenny?

Bowyer, Zenden and Andy Reid are good players but are close to being washed up, losing the hunger for the game etc.