Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Ergh 4-2. Never seen a team that relies on one player so much. Can't see them staying up in the Premiership.

Although they haven't always displayed it in this game' date=' Swansea have an excellent defence and rely heavily on that. They are by no means a one-man team, and I don't see how this game can enforce that opinion when that one man has [i']only[/i] scored three rather simple goals - he didn't actually do a lot else today. And that's added to the fact that the Swansea fans voted Nathan Dyer as their player of the season, not Sinclair, and I reckon they've seen Swansea play a bit more often that you or I have this year. ;)

Well they average around 15' date='500 fans per week, and yet have taken like 30,000 and 70 coaches to Wembley?

Will be like Blackpool, they had loads of fake fans too.[/quote']

Nothing angers me more in football than glory supporters' date=' do my swede in.[/quote']

Right, so if Cardiff or Leicester had made the final, then only the average home gate would go to the final? Would they 'eck. Wednesday took 45,000 fans to Cardiff a few years back, but we don't even get half that number for the average home game these days. Every club has the plastic fans who only turn up when it suits them, and you'd be lying if you thought that your club doesn't have them as well.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Although they haven't always displayed it in this game' date=' Swansea have an excellent defence and rely heavily on that. They are by no means a one-man team, and I don't see how this game can enforce that opinion when that one man has [i']only[/i] scored three rather simple goals - he didn't actually do a lot else today. And that's added to the fact that the Swansea fans voted Nathan Dyer as their player of the season, not Sinclair, and I reckon they've seen Swansea play a bit more often that you or I have this year. ;)

Right, so if Cardiff or Leicester had made the final, then only the average home gate would go to the final? Would they 'eck. Wednesday took 45,000 fans to Cardiff a few years back, but we don't even get half that number for the average home game these days. Everybody has the plastic fans who only turn up when it suits them, and you'd be lying if you thought that your club doesn't have them as well.

I'm not saying that Cardiff don't have them. I'm just saying it's a disgrace that they turn up for all the big games such as Play-off Finals etc. & stay away for the not so big games like Shorpe etc.

waher up the jacks :D :D :D

The fans they do get at the Britannia are quality, admittedly it's annoying when glory supporters turned up but it doesn't have any abring on the game so meh. Just like when we played Burnley and most of the fans only new "theres only one Owen Coyle".

Good luck Swansea and Reading next season...Unfortunately we dont know how Swansea feel but we do know how reading feel and it's horrible!

Am I the only one who thinks Swansea's defence isn't all that? If you stop that stupid De Vries cross-field pass to Tate then you stop Swansea playing, I'm not sure why more teams haven't cottoned on.

& in regards to the back 4 in general. They'll be put under pressure like the first 10 minutes all season. They simply aren't good enough.

waher up the jacks :D :D :D

The fans they do get at the Britannia are quality' date=' admittedly it's annoying when glory supporters turned up but it doesn't have any abring on the game so meh. Just like when we played Burnley and most of the fans only new "theres only one Owen Coyle".

Good luck Swansea and Reading next season...Unfortunately we dont know how Swansea feel but we do know how reading feel and it's horrible![/quote']

Britania? :confused:

Meh suppose il get some solace out of seeing the jacks come straight back down last season just like Blackpool did.

That's not too unusual. Leeds average around 28' date='000, yet we probably have about 3-4 times as many fans. Means nothing. It's the biggest game of their season, probably their history, obviously almost every single fan or local is going to try and make their way to that game.

Sure, question why they don't bother with the other 46 games in a season, but to accuse them of glory supporting is silly. Part-time / fairweather supporters maybe.[/quote']

I'm not sure if the glory supporting comment is aimed at me, but it might as well be as that's what I was insinuating :P Glory supporting doesn't always refer to trophies in my opinion. I'm sure there were people from Swansea in the Swansea end who hadn't been to a game all season and hop on the bandwagon when they go to Wembley. True fans? I don't think so.

Right' date=' so if Cardiff or Leicester had made the final, then only the average home gate would go to the final? Would they 'eck. Wednesday took 45,000 fans to Cardiff a few years back, but we don't even get half that number for the average home game these days. Every club has the plastic fans who only turn up when it suits them, and you'd be lying if you thought that your club doesn't have them as well.[/quote']

That's not what I was saying :rolleyes:

I'll use Blackpool as the obvious example. They averaged 11,000 in the Championship, and yet average 15,700 in the Premier League. In my opinion, those extra 4,000 fans have just jumped on the bandwagon. Holloway even referenced them in one of his interviews; they're not true Blackpool fans.

That's not what I was saying :rolleyes:

I'll use Blackpool as the obvious example. They averaged 11' date='000 in the Championship, and yet average 15,700 in the Premier League. In my opinion, those extra 4,000 fans have just jumped on the bandwagon. Holloway even referenced them in one of his interviews; they're not true Blackpool fans.[/quote']

Yeh, but I'm saying that Leicester will have just as many of those fans as Blackpool, Swansea or any other team would have. Leicester averaged 23,709 fans for home games this season; you would most likely fill your ground (32,500) for almost every match should you be promoted. Those extra fans would be no different from Blackpool's extra fans.

I just don't see how anyone can criticise another club on a matter that is shared by every single club in the country. Most people are fickle, and fickle people like to watch football teams that are successful. The true die-hard fans who stick by the club no matter what level they are down in, like I'm sure you did when Leicester were in League One, are few and far between.

Yeh' date=' but I'm saying that Leicester will have just as many of those fans as Blackpool, Swansea or any other team would have. Leicester averaged 23,709 fans for home games this season; you would most likely fill your ground (32,500) for almost every match should you be promoted. Those extra fans would be no different from Blackpool's extra fans.

I just don't see how anyone can criticise another club on a matter that is shared by every single club in the country. Most people are fickle, and fickle people like to watch football teams that are successful. The true die-hard fans who stick by the club no matter what level they are down in, like I'm sure you did when Leicester were in League One, are few and far between.[/quote']

In fairness though, we've hit those figures before, back when we were in the PL, whereas this season (I think anyway) would've been Blackpool's highest ever attendances.

I see where you're coming from though, and were I in a true Blackpool fan's shoes then those 'fans' who jumped on the bandwagon when we reached the PL would annoy me too.

To be fair you can't knock them, it was always going to be disapointing from anybodys point of view. Both teams deserved to be playing in the premiership next season, but unfortunately only one could. Well done Swansea :)

Edit - Saying that, the last championship football of the season was kicked today, meaning I officialy became a league one fan :P

In fairness though' date=' we've hit those figures before, back when we were in the PL, whereas this season (I think anyway) would've been Blackpool's highest ever attendances.

I see where you're coming from though, and were I in a true Blackpool fan's shoes then those 'fans' who jumped on the bandwagon when we reached the PL would annoy me too.[/quote']

Aye, it's the same with Wednesday. We could easily average well over 25,000 if we were still in the Premiership, and pretty much fill the place for the biggest of games. But that's the problem - most of them don't want to watch a poor side play the likes of Dagenham & Redbridge on a cold, rainy Tuesday night.

Jon I really don't see what you're getting at. That team's average gate improves when they get promoted or are successful? No duh. Our average gate has climbed by about 4k this season. It's to be expected. Football is not cheap to watch, especially in the current climate, and obviously more fans are going to be bothered turning up to watch their team face Man United and Chelsea rather than Shorpe and Plymouth (in Blackpool's case).

It's the same at every club, and I very much doubt Leicester would be any different. It seems an odd thing to pick on.

Edit: I can see where you're coming from RE the fair-weather supporter, at least for the locals who only turn up to the "big" games. Speaking from experience, I find it hard to judge those who live on the other side of the country.

I'm not going to deny that I've been to far more games this season than last season - it's a heck of a long way to travel, and it's bloody expensive, especially in the current climate, to pay for membership, tickets and travel. Naturally I'm not going to want to spend hundreds of pounds to go watch Leeds play Hereford in the middle of January. Don't get me wrong, if I lived closer to Elland Road I'd get a season ticket and go to every game - unfortunately I don't have that option and instead have to pick and choose my games.

Jon I really don't see what you're getting at. That team's average gate improves when they get promoted or are successful? No duh. Our average gate has climbed by about 4k this season. It's to be expected. Football is not cheap to watch' date=' especially in the current climate, and obviously more fans are going to be bothered turning up to watch their team face Man United and Chelsea rather than Shorpe and Plymouth (in Blackpool's case).

It's the same at every club, and I very much doubt Leicester would be any different. It seems an odd thing to pick on.[/quote']

That the true fans stick with their club when they drop down a tier, rather than abandoning the club as a lot of the Blackpool fans will do now.

And I don't think you can use the bolded argument as it's cheaper to watch football in the Championship. Granted the football isn't as good but it is cheaper to watch.

And I haven't claimed that Leicester would be different...

That the true fans stick with their club when they drop down a tier' date=' rather than abandoning the club as a lot of the Blackpool fans will do now.

And I don't think you can use the bolded argument as it's cheaper to watch football in the Championship. Granted the football isn't as good but it is cheaper to watch.

And I haven't claimed that Leicester would be different...[/quote']

Nah, Blackpool fans are too loyal at the moment, I really couldn't see them abandoning there club. They may lose a few thousand at the most. I know their ground is small and can fit about 15,000 (Correct me if I'm wrong), so losing just a few thousand could make the stands look half empty at times. There are a lot of neutral fans for Blackpool though aswell, I wouldn't really call them glory supporters as I doubt they have thousands of fans in Africa and Asia. Just the people who cheer them on because they made the 'impossible' possible by going up last season ;)

That the true fans stick with their club when they drop down a tier' date=' rather than abandoning the club as a lot of the Blackpool fans will do now.

And I haven't claimed that Leicester would be different...[/quote']

The true fans who can afford and are able to get to games. Don't go branding all fans who don't go to every game as "glory-supporters". I do agree with you about the fairweather fans who live locally and claim to support Liverpool or Man United, but start "supporting" their local side once they start to succeed (allegedly a lot of those in Blackpool - which might be what you're getting at!)

As for the prices, I was just referring to the standard of opposition. People are going to be much more willing to part with their hard-earned cash to watch some of the best players in the world rather than Shorpe or Plymouth (to cite the examples I used above).

congrats to Swansea, over the course of the season you deserved promotion.

The one thing I hated when we were in the PL was all the new faces that you saw.

You werent here when we got promotion, so why are you here now?

Its not glory supporting, certainly not judging by our fortunes in the PL but people who come along that dont give a **** about the club they have a season ticket with and are only there to watch PL football.

True to form these 'fans' numbers drop like a stone when PL football is not at the stadium the following season.

It may not be good for the club as high attendances equals money but id rather watch the game with people who love the club as much as I do.

Right, I'm just skim-reading this at the moment as I'm on my phone but the main oponts seem to be about Sinclair's impact and the attendences.

First off on the attendences, we don't have the biggest crowds but they have been much better recentley. Up and around 18,000 - even though they've been favourable games against big teams or on bank holidays. I'm not too pleased about it myself, but I've had my season ticket since April and this was an occasion for the city - the true supporters will be enjoying this a lot more though and I couldn't care less at the minute.

As for Sinclair, if you think he's our best player then you either only wastch the highlights or your Rosie Webster. As seft said earlier allen's up there, dyer or dobbie aswell and I also am a big fan of little leon brittonĀ£

On the game and I could barely watch, still can't believe it and sympathise with cardiff fans. Think I shouls be posting somewhere else next season, so it's good for everyone I suppose.