Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

How would you be up if there were no playoff's? QPR didn't cheat' date=' I'm afraid you've lost me.

You'll go straight back down anyway, you'll go in the history books for doing worse than Derby County! :(:)[/quote']

no they wont.

That Derby County team was put together by the one and only Billy Davies.

I see no Billy Davies anywhere near Swansea so they will do ok. :D

no they wont.

That Derby County team was put together by the one and only Billy Davies.

I see no Billy Davies anywhere near Swansea so they will do ok. :D

Brendan Rogers - Unexperienced in the premiership - Team likes to play pretty football - Car Crash!! B)

West Brom stayed up playing pretty football with the addition of a few quality signings I dont see why Swansea cant.

Lets say that Blackpool almost avoided relegation trying to play good football.

Swansea are far better than Blackpool, so its not going to be cut and dried.

They certainly wont get under 11 points though, that record will stand forever.

Brendan Rogers - Unexperienced in the premiership - Team likes to play pretty football - Car Crash!! B)

Still worry more for Norwich thou, who also play pretty football. QPR will probs stay up as they have potentially a bigger transfer budget than Utd, Liverpool and Spurs.

The Championship looks really strong next season with Blackpool being the only relegated team that might do a Bradford and drop like a stone. West Ham and Birmingham are used to going up and down, along with Cardif, Forrest, Reading and Leeds, plus the surprise couple of clubs that always make a mark when they arn't expected to.

West Brom stayed up playing pretty football with the addition of a few quality signings I dont see why Swansea cant.

Swansea are far better than Blackpool' date=' so its not going to be cut and dried.

They certainly wont get under 11 points though, that record will stand forever.[/quote']

Almost being the key word. Ultimately they didn't. Also I think Swansea's defence is poor. Unless they improve in the back I can see them returning to the Championship.

I'm not being funny but you know where you can stick your negative comments, I don"t even know what poont your trying to make. We're going into this with a strong squad and this team is ready, I know that and I don't care if some Cardiff or Derby fans disagreeĀ£

With the size of our club. These ARE the 'The good old days' and were going to make the most of it. The lads tonight were legends in the making and I best pop round the chip shop tommorow on my way to the vetch for the open top bus parade.

And finally RIP besian idrizaj, I was in tears on 40. We did you proud today you sexy beast.

Swansea are far better than Blackpool' date=' so its not going to be cut and dried.

They certainly wont get under 11 points though, that record will stand forever.[/quote']

Realistically, Swansea will probably stand a chance against the likes of Norwich, West Brom, Wigan, Blackburn and maybe even QPR. However, the likes of Stoke, Bolton, Fulham and Villa would be at a completely different level of play for them. Then you have the likes of Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea etc, who should play them off the park easily.

Joking aside, I can see them getting 25-35 points.

I'm not being funny but you know where you can stick your negative comments' date=' I don"t even know what poont your trying to make. We're going into this with a strong squad and this team is ready, I know that and I don't care if some Cardiff or Derby fans disagreeĀ£

With the size of our club. These ARE the 'The good old days' and were going to make the most of it. The lads tonight were legends in the making and I best pop round the chip shop tommorow on my way to the vetch for the open top bus parade.

And finally RIP besian idrizaj, I was in tears on 40. We did you proud today you sexy beast.[/quote']

Can I have some of what your drinking? :P;)

Realistically' date=' Swansea will probably stand a chance against the likes of Norwich, West Brom, Wigan, Blackburn and maybe even QPR. However, the likes of Stoke, Bolton, Fulham and Villa would be at a completely different level of play for them. Then you have the likes of Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea etc, who should play them off the park easily.

Joking aside, I can see them getting 25-[b']35[/b] points.

That could be enough, with a few shock results, they could hit the magical 40 mark.

Congrats to Swansea on their promotion, well deserved after a fantastic season.

As for the people who mentioned that their promotion was down to Sinclair alone, they are talking rot - promotions are won on team effort alone and i'm sure players like Dyer, Dobbie, Britton and Allen would have something to say about it!!

I look forward to seeing you in the Prem, as their are some interesting clubs going up this year. :)

OH NO ITS RUNIED THE PREMIERSHIP IS RUINED FOOTBALL IS DIEING WALES DON'T BELONG FOOTBALL PURE ROSIE WEBSTER CHEESECAKE BLEURGHHH

lulz......

:D

I thought this too.

I was really expecting it to be accompanied by "Don't make the Welsh angry. You don't like the Welsh when their angry" or something similar.

How would you be up if there were no playoff's? QPR didn't cheat' date=' I'm afraid you've lost me.

You'll go straight back down anyway, you'll go in the history books for doing worse than Derby County! :(:)[/quote']

I think he's referring to that they came 3rd in the league - they finished the 3rd best team in the league so on that basis deserved promotion anyway.

Anyway, I think they'll do well. They're a very good passing team and their defensive IS good, whatever the above poster says. You're entitled to your opinion but the facts don't lie and their defence has been one of the best in the Championship for the last two seasons. They'll cope better than Blackpool.

Norwich will be fine too - they have one of the best managers in the country. They don't need quality players, the work ethic, the belief and the team spirit makes them a thread for any team in the country. They're also planning to spend big.

And I've been saying all along, the gap between the bottom half of the PL is really not that much better than the top of the NPC. Burnley and Hull have come back down and have just fit right in to the NPC, without losing any major players. I genuinely don't think the likes of Wolves or Wigan are really that much better than Norwich, QPR or Swansea. A few good signings and they'll be fine.

One or two will surely go back down, but I think Wigan, Wolves, Blackburn, maybe Newcastle, maybe West Brom, etc, will all struggle too.

Sinclair will need to play a cracker 38 times next Season if they Stay-up' date=' same goes to [b']Grant Holt.[/b]

Swansea have more of a chance staying up than Norwich TBH.

Sinclair"s like bin laden, he's pretty quiet and just grabs the headlines. Our best players are dyer and dobbie. Dobbie can take on anyway, he makes it look easy. Almost forgot about ferrie bodde, he'll be back next season and will make sinclair look like a rather bland earl tea next season.

I want Martin O'Neill as manager and Andy Legg as assistant manager. We shocked the world when we got Bellamy, we shocked the world when we got to the FA Cup final, we shocked the world when a 27,000 seater stadium was built, so why can't we do it again, and bring in Martin O'Neill, a premiership standard manager to Cardiff City!!

I want Martin O'Neill as manager and Andy Legg as assistant manager. We shocked the world when we got Bellamy' date=' we shocked the world when we got to the FA Cup final, we shocked the world when a 27,000 seater stadium was built, so why can't we do it again, and bring in Martin O'Neill, a premiership standard manager to Cardiff City!![/quote']

I know I've said to you before, but I'd love Keano. :P But yeah, O'Niell would be sound. :D

I want Martin O'Neill as manager and Andy Legg as assistant manager. We shocked the world when we got Bellamy' date=' we shocked the [b']world[/b] when we got to the FA Cup final, we shocked the world when a 27,000 seater stadium was built, so why can't we do it again, and bring in Martin O'Neill, a premiership standard manager to Cardiff City!!

I'm pretty sure some kids in Haiti didn't know or care!

Just a tad dramatic. ;)

Give us a couple of days to enjoy success and promotion, then bother about survivng.

A quick word on it, I have faith in the team and if we sign one defender (not michael howard) a good centre midfielder slongside bodde and a quality forward then we'll be fine

AND WE WERE SINGING, HYMES AND ARRIERS, LAND OF MY FATHERS, AR Y FY NOS

What a day! :) Just had a quick skim read and it's quite funny how many new faces we have on here who are saying the Swans will go down which is probably based on today's performance (which wasn't great). Fair enough to actual supporters or Championship club's, they can form a valid-ish opinion (even if I don't agree with it :P) Our "poor" defence was 2nd only to QPR over 38 games.

Of course we need to sign a few players, which includes our defence, but we're going to get more than 25 points or whatever the amount was that I read below. As Seft said, the gap between the lower Premiership clubs and the teams that are competitive at the top of the Championship is closing, and I think that we may cause a few suprises next year (I would say that though :o).

How can a fan support a team full of foreigners (e.g. Arsenal) yet be outraged at the thought of a Welsh based club entering the league. A quick search shows me that 7 English players played for Swansea today, our actual team is more English than most of the Premiership teams :o

I think that we may cause a few suprises next year (I would say that though :o).

How can a fan support a team full of foreigners (e.g. Arsenal) yet be outraged at the thought of a Welsh based club entering the league. A quick search shows me that 7 English players played for Swansea today' date=' our actual team is more English than most of the Premiership teams :o[/quote']

Wouldn't be surprised if u beat us if we still have clichy, believe it or not he's our weakest position playing every1 onside and overall rubbish that sways our CBS out of position to play the opposition through and score. I'm not bothered really who got promoted tbh, as I'm more worried about wengers buying lol.. If clichy is still with us (probs not) Then well he's going to get pulverised by dyer lol. This will be great for Swansea, playing In the premiership whether they get relegated next season or not, they'll have a good 1.

I think it's a bit of a misnomer that the bottom half of the Prem is getting closer the the top half of the Champ, and if anything this year the bottom half was stronger than in previous years. Going back over the last 5 seasons I make it that only something like 5 of the last 15 teams to get promoted have managed avoid relegation from the Prem for consecutive seasons, and I'm counting Newcastle and Albion for now so that could fall.

There also becomes a pattern when you look at those five, Stoke, Wolves and Sunderland have all benefited from significant outside investment, a benefactor like Peter Coates or Steve Morgan (both in the top 30 of 442's football rich list, and crucially unlike some others willing to invest) who can ink a cheque for an extra signing or write off an extra zero on the wage bill makes a huge difference. As fro the other two, Newcastle were spectacularly mismanaged and still had a Premier League infrastructure in place when they went back up. As did Albion to a large degree, given they've spent half of the last decade in the Prem laying the foundations of this squad piece by piece via TV money and parachute payments, they certainly weren't coming up cold as the 3 promoted teams are this year.

I think it largely depends how much they're willing to invest, and one or two of the incumbent Premiership clubs being mismanaged (eg the **** barons at West Ham). Obviously QPR have got a bit of money to throw it and swell the wage bill should they choose but I'm not sure what sort of means the other two have to compete with teams that have been pocketing many times the revenue they have for the past X amount of seasons. The research shows that generally outgoings on wages tend to correlate pretty well with final position in the Prem, it's still a massive gap to bridge under normal circumstances.