Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

The welsh have there own league so why don't they play there thats like having a french team in the prem.

Because they've been playing in the English league for 90 years and to kick them out now would be a farce, presumably.

It's not really comparable to having a French team either, given that Wales is part of the same sovereign state as England.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

The welsh have there own league so why don't they play there thats like having a french team in the prem.

GREAT idea!

Just make sure you also demand that Berwick return to the fold as well.

Never mind that the travel costs alone would bankrupt them in months.

After all...The principle is what matters here.

I personally think that Swansea will do alright in the PL, they've got a decent squad and a few class players that will pull them through. Regardless of what you say Aidan, you'll need Sinclair to replicate his Championship form rather than Dyer as a goalscorer is needed much more than a hard worker in this case I think.

I've been one of the ones who said that I didn't want Swansea in the PL because they're Welsh, and I backed my opinion up too (something which I'd recommend in future Dean) but they definitely deserve it. Played great football all season and as Aidan said, were there no play-offs they would have got promoted because they finished 3rd.

I can see Swansea and Norwich coming straight back down.

QPR depending on how much they spend ( considering there wealth they could bring in alot more than the other two ) i can see them sneaking survival.

People keep banging on about Swanseas great football ( not just on this forum, im talking generally ) and due to that, they have a great chance of staying up.

Incorrect.

West Brom a few seasons back played awesome football in the championship, then continued to follow that footballing philosophy when they came up. Now remind me what happened to them ?

Its all very nice playing football against poor opposition ( and im sorry but in comparison championship teams are poor against prem ), attempt to play it,

and your not good enough, you shall get exposed.

eg.... Blackpool :).

Just found out the match stats:

Goals: Reading 2-4 Swansea

Shots: Reading 19-6 Swansea

SoT: Reading 11-4 Swansea

Corners: Reading 16-1 Swansea

Possession: Reading 47% - 53% Swansea

On that basis, Reading were desperately unlucky. Lets be honest - Swansea never looked too dangerous when on the ball, but they scored every time they hit the target - they were just clinical. But goals scored is the only important stat there, and that is one where Swansea prevailed.

I can see Swansea and Norwich coming straight back down.

QPR depending on how much they spend ( considering there wealth they could bring in alot more than the other two ) i can see them sneaking survival.

People keep banging on about Swanseas great football ( not just on this forum' date=' im talking generally ) and due to that, they have a great chance of staying up.

Incorrect.

West Brom a few seasons back played awesome football in the championship, then continued to follow that footballing philosophy when they came up. Now remind me what happened to them ?

Its all very nice playing football against poor opposition ( and im sorry but in comparison championship teams are poor against prem ), attempt to play it,

and your not good enough, you shall get exposed.

eg.... Blackpool :).[/quote']

Adam Swansea are far better than Blackpool both attacking and defensively. And Blackpool were on the brink of staying up.

Norwich have never lost twice in a row under Lambert and I genuinely believe his management skills will see them comfortably stay up. Having been in the same division as them two seasons running, they give off an "invincible" aura. They have such a strong winning mentality, belief and never-say-die attitude that whilst Lambert is there, I struggle to see them losing too many games.

Wigan and Wolves will go down. One of the promoted teams will possibly join them. It won't be as straightforward as some believe though.

The gap between the bottom of the PL and the top of the NPC is vastly over-rated by some on here - mostly the PL fans who massively under-estimate the NPC.

Adam Swansea are far better than Blackpool both attacking and defensively. And Blackpool were on the brink of staying up.

Norwich have never lost twice in a row under Lambert and I genuinely believe his management skills will see them comfortably stay up. Having been in the same division as them two seasons running' date=' they give off an "invincible" aura. They have such a strong winning mentality, belief and never-say-die attitude that whilst Lambert is there, I struggle to see them losing too many games.

Wigan and Wolves will go down. One of the promoted teams will possibly join them. It won't be as straightforward as some believe though.

The gap between the bottom of the PL and the top of the NPC is vastly over-rated by some on here - mostly the PL fans who massively under-estimate the NPC.[/quote']

I was going to write in brackets after i mentioned Blackpool that i appreciate Swansea are a better footballing side. Blackpool were on the brink, but early season form, similar to Hull is the only reason they had a fighting chance, they collapsed massively ( as hull did.... see a trend here.... ) However the principle stands.

How many players from Swansea have held down a spot a premiere league side ? How many have even played premiership football.

Im not saying, for definite that they will come down. Im saying if i had to chose, i reckon they will get relegated.

Thats an impressive stat, it would be even more impressive if Norwich played quality opposition two games in a row.

I dont underestimate the gap between the poor clubs in the EPL and the better Championship ones. I went to every Forest home game not last season, the before. Im well aware of the championships "quality".

Adam, I do have to say we're a lot more financially equipped than blackpool, we'll pay more for players and offer decent wages although we will live within our means.

Don't compare us to WBA when they wanted to pass the ball, we've played this way for a long time and we are built to pass unlike WBA.

Our team have done so well this season and these are the days of our lives.

We're TINY compared to the other teams, we WILL need Sinclair to score the goals but the likes of Dobbie, Dyer and Allen are so more important to keep hold of.

Adam' date=' I do have to say we're a lot more financially equipped than blackpool, we'll pay more for players and offer decent wages although we will live within our means.

Don't compare us to WBA when they wanted to pass the ball, we've played this way for a long time and we are built to pass unlike WBA.

Our team have done so well this season and these are the days of our lives.

We're TINY compared to the other teams, we WILL need Sinclair to score the goals but the likes of Dobbie, Dyer and Allen are so more important to keep hold of.[/quote']

I have to stress that im not comparing clubs and their players, just the philosophy.

Simply, my point is. Its alot easier to pass the ball around the likes of Shorpe and Doncaster than premiership sides, even the poorer ones.

I dont want to knock you, its refreshing seeing a team play your way and do well. I just think that it would take a monumental effort from your current crop of players to survive in the prem. Ill happily eat my words come end of next season.

Although i did in fairness mention your players you can understand where im coming from ? You yourself just said you will be relying on sinclair to score goals ? This is the first season where he is playing week in week out, he is young and now hopes of survival are being placed on him ? You can see where my doubts come from.

Im looking forward to seeing more of Williams though Aidan :D

Yes Adam. Of course it's going to be difficult. Asd it will bne for a oot of teams but I don't think we'll go down (understandably).

We're going to need key players to perform and new signings to be strong. But I have faith that can happy.

We've got our best player to come back in Bodde now, so no-ones seen the best of us.

So realistically who do you think we can sign? I'm hoping David Vaughan, Fabio Borini and Luke Chambers.

Yes Adam. Of course it's going to be difficult. Asd it will bne for a oot of teams but I don't think we'll go down (understandably).

We're going to need key players to perform and new signings to be strong. But I have faith that can happy.

We've got our best player to come back in Bodde now' date=' so no-ones seen the best of us.

So realistically who do you think we can sign? I'm hoping David Vaughan, Fabio Borini and Luke Chambers.[/quote']

I don't think you'll sign Borini; the idea of living in a small Welsh town battling relegation wouldn't appeal I don't think. A mid-table Italian club seems much more likely. David Vaughan seems a good shout though.

In Leicester news, it looks like we're going to kick-off our summer spending with a £500k move for Heskey and £800k - £1m move for the Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra. What are people's thoughts on these?

EDIT: 3,000th post!

I don't think you'll sign Borini; the idea of living in a small Welsh town battling relegation wouldn't appeal I don't think. A mid-table Italian club seems much more likely. David Vaughan seems a good shout though.

In Leicester news' date=' it looks like we're going to kick-off our summer spending with a £500k move for Heskey and £800k - £1m move for the Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra. What are people's thoughts on these?

EDIT: 3,000th post![/quote']

On Borini, heard he's signed a pre-agreement deal with Parma, whether it's true or not I'm not sure.

Bougherra - wouldn't be a bad signing, don't think he's too bad.

Heskey - waste of money I think. :P

Am I still the only one who thinks Swansea's defence isn't all that? :confused:

Admittedly they're not the best defenders individually in the league' date=' but our record over the past two seasons speaks for itself.[/quote']

I'm just saying people tend to see you as a great passing team, which you are, & fail to see that when put under pressure in the back I don't rate you at all. Reading proved it yesterday in the first 15 minutes & we did when we went to your place, just two examples I've seen when watching you.

On Borini' date=' heard he's signed a pre-agreement deal with Parma, whether it's true or not I'm not sure.

Bougherra - wouldn't be a bad signing, don't think he's too bad.

Heskey - waste of money I think. :P

Am I still the only one who thinks Swansea's defence isn't all that? :confused:[/quote']

Yesterday it wasn't the best, Tate was put under a lot of pressure and we were at a danger from corners. But it's only expected from nerves really, Taylor wasn't their either so Tate isn't going to be starting in the Premier League every week either. But 22 clean sheets this season, and even more last season shows we're consistantly strong at the back. Not conceding at home to even the top scoring sides like Norwich and Leeds fairly recentley.

EDIT: Whilst Cardiff can hardly talk :P

Yesterday it wasn't the best' date=' Tate was [b']put under a lot of pressure[/b] and we were at a danger from corners. But it's only expected from nerves really, Taylor wasn't their either so Tate isn't going to be starting in the Premier League every week either. But 22 clean sheets this season, and even more last season shows we're consistantly strong at the back. Not conceding at home to even the top scoring sides like Norwich and Leeds fairly recentley.

EDIT: Whilst Cardiff can hardly talk :P

Well, good luck in the Prem then, it'll be like that pretty much every week. :rolleyes:

Don't take it too far as I did decide not to spoil your moment. (Well deserved as it was) [/gritted teeth] :D

I'm not going to take it too far, but i know our defence isn't week!

I really can't believe we went up before you, i just had the thought of you's going up and us staying down which would have killed me :o So for that i do feel sympathy towards how Cardiff are going to be feeling right now.

Well' date=' good luck in the Prem then, it'll be like that pretty much every week. :rolleyes:[/quote']

No, Tate won't be put under a lot of pressure every week as he wont be in the starting line-up. And when he is covering in the starting line-up, it'll be at centre-back where he's far stronger.

He's been with us since we were in League 2, and he didn't get in our team in League 2. He's come a long way with us, but he's not going to be as crucial at the highest level for sure.

No' date=' Tate won't be put under a lot of pressure every week as he wont be in the starting line-up. And when he is covering in the starting line-up, it'll be at centre-back where he's far stronger.

He's been with us since we were in League 2, and he didn't get in our team in League 2. He's come a long way with us, but he's not going to be as crucial at the highest level for sure.[/quote']

With the exception of Rangel, who seems OK, I don't rate any of the back four that played yesterday. Monk seems dodgy, Williams is quite shocking & Tate, well, the less said the better. :o

I'm not begrudging you your victory. I wish that you had lost but now you have gone up I hope you stay up for the sake of Welsh football.

But I couldn't care less about welsh football & hope you come straight back down as I'm a Cardiff fan. :D

With the exception of Rangel' date=' who seems OK, I don't rate any of the back four that played yesterday. Monk seems dodgy, Williams is quite shocking & Tate, well, the less said the better. :o

I'm not begrudging you your victory. I wish that you had lost but now you have gone up I hope you stay up for the sake of Welsh football.

But I couldn't care less about welsh football & hope you come straight back down as I'm a Cardiff fan. :D

Monk - dodgy :confused: That's the end of that conversation, he's as reliable as it gets. Reading on and Williams "quiet shocking" just adds to the bizarrness with him being in the Championship team of the year on consecutive occasions. Rangel isn't as good as Taylor, Monk or Williams whilst Tate is fine as cover.

I understand how you would feel, and i would feel the same admitedlly - but your trying a little too hard to find reasons why we might come down if your saying our defence isn't good enough :D

With the exception of Rangel' date=' who seems OK, I don't rate any of the back four that played yesterday. Monk seems dodgy, Williams is quite shocking & Tate, well, the less said the better. :o

Thank god.. thought i was the only Cardiff fan around here with a bit of sense with the comments flying around :rolleyes:

I'm just saying people tend to see you as a great passing team' date=' which you are, & fail to see that when put under pressure in the back I don't rate you at all. [b']Reading proved it yesterday in the first 15 minutes[/b] & we did when we went to your place, just two examples I've seen when watching you.

Really?

Reading threw the sink at Swansea and Swansea kept them out comfortably enough - Reading didn't have any real opportunities.

The defence was the difference yesterday. Swansea had 6 chances but of four of those, Reading's defending was awful and Swansea were clinical. Reading had 19 attempts but most of which were blocked or force from range.

Also, Williams only error yesterday was not having a shave before-hand. He defended very well, as did Monk.

So realistically who do you think we can sign? I'm hoping David Vaughan' date=' Fabio Borini and Luke Chambers.[/quote']

Im not sure to be honest pal, i dont know enough about Swansea to say where your weakest positions are.

However, id agree with the opinion that Borini would be a unlikely signing, a possible on but i fancy him going to Italy.

David Vaughan, tricky one again, linked with much bigger teams than yourself, the only reason why i think he would go to you is because he is from Wales .....

He wants to play in the premiership and is more likely to avoid a relegation battle with them than with you.

Regarding the whole your a welsh club in the EPL.

I dont think you should be removed, or that you dont deserve it. I just dont think Welsh clubs should of ever been invited..... doesnt make sense to be honest. Either way, you fully deserved to get to the prem.