Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

With the exception of Rangel' date=' who seems OK, I don't rate any of the back four that played yesterday. Monk seems dodgy, Williams is quite shocking & Tate, well, the less said the better[/b']. :o

I'm not begrudging you your victory. I wish that you had lost but now you have gone up I hope you stay up for the sake of Welsh football.

But I couldn't care less about welsh football & hope you come straight back down as I'm a Cardiff fan. :D

No one would have guessed you are a Cardiff fan :rolleyes:

Monk is usually very solid.

Williams got in team of the season?

Swansea conceded the 2nd least goals only to QPR and i reckon that is only because QPR dominated a lot more games so they didn't need to defend as much...

Really?

Reading threw the sink at Swansea and Swansea kept them out comfortably enough - Reading didn't have any real opportunities.

The defence was the difference yesterday. Swansea had 6 chances but of four of those' date=' Reading's defending was awful and Swansea were clinical. Reading had 19 attempts but most of which were blocked or force from range.

Also, Williams only error yesterday was not having a shave before-hand. He defended very well, as did Monk.[/quote']

I personally thought they were very shaky the first 15 minutes. & the 15 minutes is the only part I thought the looked quite dodgy at. (As well as the first 15 at the start of the second half)

Had Reading been more ruthless I think they could've and should've won.

Yesterday it wasn't the best' date=' [b']Tate was put under a lot of pressure and we were at a danger from corners[/b]. But it's only expected from nerves really, Taylor wasn't their either so Tate isn't going to be starting in the Premier League every week either. But 22 clean sheets this season, and even more last season shows we're consistantly strong at the back. Not conceding at home to even the top scoring sides like Norwich and Leeds fairly recentley.

EDIT: Whilst Cardiff can hardly talk :P

The funniest thing about this was Tate was not really at fault for any of the goals and actually did more good then bad, the run and pass for the 4th goal and 2nd penalty and also his involvement in the scramble after the ball had hit the post after Monk's magnificent block.

I was horrified every time Kebe ran at Tate because Tate kept backing off and allowed him space and a cross. Suppose this was better than committing himself and missing the challenge leaving Kebe a chance to run at the centre backs. I suppose that's what happens when you put a defender in his least comfortable position. A back 4 with 4 right footers?

Really?

Reading threw the sink at Swansea and Swansea kept them out comfortably enough - Reading didn't have any real opportunities.

The defence was the difference yesterday. Swansea had 6 chances but of four of those' date=' Reading's defending was awful and Swansea were clinical. Reading had 19 attempts but most of which were blocked or force from range.

Also, Williams only error yesterday was not having a shave before-hand. He defended very well, as did Monk.[/quote']

As for Williams and his beard, he started growing it and said he'd shave it off if we earned promotion. On his twitter he said his beard was itching a lot, and he wanted to shave it off but he thought it was a good omen. :)

Im not sure to be honest pal' date=' i dont know enough about Swansea to say where your weakest positions are.

However, id agree with the opinion that Borini would be a unlikely signing, a possible on but i fancy him going to Italy.

David Vaughan, tricky one again, linked with much bigger teams than yourself, the only reason why i think he would go to you is because he is from Wales .....

He wants to play in the premiership and is more likely to avoid a relegation battle with them than with you.

Regarding the whole your a welsh club in the EPL.

I dont think you should be removed, or that you dont deserve it. I just dont think Welsh clubs should of ever been invited..... doesnt make sense to be honest. Either way, you fully deserved to get to the prem.[/quote']

We do need defensive cover, we've got 5 very good first team defenders in Taylor, Monk, Williams, Rangel and Tate but other then that we only have Serran who's pretty poor and youngsters in Jazz Richards (who's a centre midfielder) and Daniel Alfei (who's only played 3 Swansea games).

We might need another strong centre-midfielder and definatly need one, two or possible three forwards. I'd like Borini - although apparantly Parma, Lazio, Juventus and Roma are all interested, the only thing going for us is he preferably wants to stay in England and he'd get regular first team football. I'd like Emnes as striking cover/back-up winger whilst we need someone better than Beattie in reality :)

Swansea conceded the 2nd least goals only to QPR and i reckon that is only because QPR dominated a lot more games so they didn't need to defend as much...

Go to the game? :)

He's just backing up my points here, if our defence is weak then so is every sides in the football league.

I think the name & the avatar give it away slightly...

& I don't rate Williams at all. I think he's a poor defender & has been dreadful every time I've watched Wales. The team of the season is nothing to go by really, No Cardiff or Leeds players in it and that should speak volumes in itself.

& that last reason could apply to you. You keep the ball for long periods of time (as Aidan loves to point out :rolleyes::P) meaning you don't get put under pressure as much as other teams. Hence proving my first point that most people only see the passing side of your game. :D

I can see Swansea and Norwich coming straight back down.

Like Luke has said' date=' I think you are vastly underrating the key factor of Norwich, and that is Paul Lambert. Whatever they lack on paper, Lambert's ability as a coach and manager makes up for that. He is by far and away the best manager in the football league and I have every confidence that he'll keep Norwich up next season. The inordinate amount of injury-time goals Norwich scored this season wasn't pure luck; it's due to the attitude and winning mentality that Lambert instils in his players.

In Leicester news, it looks like we're going to kick-off our summer spending with a £500k move for Heskey and £800k - £1m move for the Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra. What are people's thoughts on these?

EDIT: 3,000th post!

Used to have him at Hillsborough, a very classy, confident defender in the mould of Ferdinand. However, he was prone to that one disastrous error in each and every game that often risked conceding a goal. I wonder whether he's improved his concentration since leaving Wednesday...

That said, while he would be a great signing, I can't see it happening. Far bigger teams than Leicester will be interested in him if he were to leave, both in the Premiership and abroad. Unless you throw a lot of money at him (which, given your recent track record, you might), he won't join you.

With the exception of Rangel' date=' who seems OK, I don't rate any of the back four that played yesterday. Monk seems dodgy, [b']Williams is quite shocking[/b] & Tate, well, the less said the better. :o

I couldn't disagree with that statement more. At the end of next season, whether Swansea survive or not, there will be mid-table EPL teams trying to sign Williams.

Go to the game? :)

He's just backing up my points here' date=' if our defence is weak then so is every sides in the football league.[/quote']

I did indeed mate, first time to Wembley actually. :D

Was in the corner 4th row of the upper tier so the only action we really got was seeing Tate defend against Kebe, a few Reading chances, the Dobbie chance and the 2nd penalty.

Well i say only but 5 of the goals were up the other end :P

I did indeed mate' date=' first time to Wembley actually. :D

Was in the corner 4th row of the upper tier so the only action we really got was seeing Tate defend against Kebe, a few Reading chances, the Dobbie chance and the 2nd penalty.

Well i say only but 5 of the goals were up the other end :P[/quote']

Well i was in block 502, upper tier about 15 rows back. Bit high up but got a central view of all of the action, very nice view and i was pleased with the seats. Only thing it was missing was i was unable to view the players lifting up the cup, so had to just look at the screens :o

What a day that was though, a day to reflect on and think "I WAS THERE" in years and years to come.

I couldn't disagree with that statement more. At the end of next season' date=' whether Swansea survive or not, there will be mid-table EPL teams trying to sign Williams.[/quote']

Had we not gone up, he was gone - Swansea fans new that, that's how good he is. The list of clubs that have been linked with Williams or have bid for Williams just goes on: Wolfsburg, Newcastle, Celtic, Rangers, Bolton, Wigan, West Ham, Fulham ......

We're going to need him next season!

That team of the year is stupid though fella,

Wes Morgan got in the team of the year so that should tell you all you need to know.

Ashley Williams is pretty solid imo though, time will tell whether he is premier league quality.

A warm welcome to you all, I will be joining you all next season after Posh's promotion.

Obviously I am a supporter of the smallest club in the division next season so go easy!;) I'm sure there will be plenty of comings and goings especially CMS and I have feeling we will break our transfer record this season as well.

Congrats to Swansea thoroughly deserved IMO been there or there abouts all season. Also well done to Norwich & QPR

Posh have accepted a bid from an un-named premiership side for CMS, see link below

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/premier_league_bid_agreed_for_posh_s_mackail_smith_1_2731586

Several other players have been made available for transfer these are Charlie Lee, Chris Whelpdale, Kelvin Langmead, Arron Davies, Exodus Geohaghon, Scott Griffiths, Dominic Green, James Wesolowski and Lee Frecklington. Romone McCrae and Rene Howe have left the club after their contracts expired. I am suprised at Wesolowski in particular certianly think he could be a good squad player for next season. Shame to see Charlie go but he has only 1 year left and refused to sign a new deal. Again would have great to have had him as a squad player.

Nana has laready agreed to move to Cobblers, and it is believed Arron Davies will do the same to link up with Gary Johnson again. Joe Lewis only has 1 year left and is expected to leave too with Paul Jones lined up as a replacement. Jones has been offered a contract. Tom Kennedy who was on loan from Leicester is a target but his wages could proof an issue. Hope we do get him as before his injury he was a very consistent FB for us.

As I mentioned on my post yesterday Posh have launched a £1m bid for a replacement for CMS. Fergie is after 2 CB's, 1 full back and a midfielder in addition to the striker.

It will certainly be an interesting next few weeks/month or so as Fergie shapes his squad ready for pre-season.

The un-named Premiership side is Norwich' date=' allegedly.[/quote']

Well i wouldn't be happy if i was a Norwich fan.

£2.5m wasted on James Vaughan.

£2.5m potentially to be wasted on Steve Morison.

£4m wasted on Craig Mackail Smith.

They only really needed one extra forward, be wise and you'd get Earnshaw back on a free-transfer rather than over valued hyped about players.

They only really needed one extra forward' date=' be wise and you'd get Earnshaw back on a free-transfer rather than over valued hyped about players.[/quote']

Or buy DJ Camball from Blackpool, he looks ok in the Prem for 10 to 15 goals a season

They only really needed one extra forward' date=' be wise and you'd get Earnshaw back on a free-transfer rather than over valued hyped about players.[/quote']

Where on earth have you got those figures from?

Mackail-Smith is free.

No-one in their right mind would spend £2.5m on Morison, a player who is probably at his peak.

I have no idea how much they spend on Vaughan, so if you can show me definitive proof then fair enough, but I'd doubt it was that much, or anywhere near to it.

Either way, last summer they signed some very average looking League 1 players, who went on to turn in some of the best performances in the Championship. Russell Martin, Andrew Crofts, Simeon Jackson. Wilbrahim has done Ok. Grant Holt didn't exactly shine in his first spell at this level.

Lambert is a genius at getting the best out of players, and with his track record, if I were a Norwich fan I'd have complete faith in him. He knows what he's doing, and he knows which players will suit his system and methods.

Edit: I'd also be completely baffled if they did sign Morison, assuming the CMS rumours are true. Holt, Martin, Vaughan, CMS, Jackson, Wilbrahim. The latter will probably leave but they have plenty of strikers there already. If they were going to spend dosh on another striker, you'd have thought it would be someone obviously better.

Sounds like a baseless rumour to me.

At least Aidan's sig prophecy will be fulfilled :)

Aye, would be a big shame - I'm pretty confident Mackail-Smith would hit that mark, probably within half a season. I was going to quote him in my signature, like he already did. Ah well. Will have to find something else to quote. Like Borini becoming world class. What age would be considered too old to still have "world clas" potential, do you think.

I agree with everything you say Luke' date=' but he's not available for free.[/quote']

I was under the impression he was out of contract. Having looked, SSN reported him to be out of contract this summer, the BBC seem to think it's 2012.

Either way, he won't cost anything near £4m. Probably closer to £1m. Players who's contracts expire in one year and want to leave don't cost that much - especially when their chairman has already admitted publicly they can leave.

At least Aidan's sig prophecy will be fulfilled :)

Well i suppose the statement would be correct.

Where on earth have you got those figures from?

Mackail-Smith is free.

No-one in their right mind would spend £2.5m on Morison' date=' a player who is probably at his peak.

I have no idea how much they spend on Vaughan, so if you can show me definitive proof then fair enough, but I'd doubt it was that much, or anywhere near to it.

Either way, last summer they signed some very average looking League 1 players, who went on to turn in some of the best performances in the Championship. Russell Martin, Andrew Crofts, Simeon Jackson. Wilbrahim has done Ok. Grant Holt didn't exactly shine in his first spell at this level.

Lambert is a genius at getting the best out of players, and with his track record, if I were a Norwich fan I'd have complete faith in him. He knows what he's doing, and he knows which players will suit his system and methods.[/quote']

Seems to me that CMS isn't on a free - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-transfer-news-Canaries-look-set-to-land-Peterborough-striker-Craig-Mackail-Smith-in-a-deal-worth-up-to-3million-article713869.html

Yes it's a little outdated, but the same would surely apply. Along with the fact there not exactly going to accept a bid from a club with his contract running out in the next month if it was the case.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/27/norwich-james-vaughan-everton I think that's reliable enough. I know - it's crazy, but i've had numerous links or whatever that i've seen from jr or Adam_EFC that the fee is £2.5 million.

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243281 As for Morison, it's known that Millwall have rejected a £1.8m for Morison from Norwich. Since then it's believed Millwall rejected a bid that was slightly higher for Morison, which you'd have thought would be £2m. Millwall seem set to be hanging out for £2.5m, which i'm sure Norwich will eventually look to pay if they want him. But once again it's ridicolous.

If i was a Norwich fan i'd have faith in Lambert, but last year the signings he made had to make the step up but where in positions that they needed, they don't need a forward. All of the one's there in for haven't proven themselves at the above level, and there not much up on the likes of Jackson and Martin.

It reminds me of the last time they went up. They had Darren Huckerby, Leon McKenzie and Dean Ashton - a cracking front three but the rest of there squad just simply wasn't good enough. This time they could have the likes of Simeon Jackson, Craig Mackail Smith and Grany Holt but there defence isn't good enough (bar Russell Martin) and there midfield is weak (aside from Surman, Crofts and Hoolahan who probably will be, the rest isn't good enough for the Championship).

Yes Lambert gets the best out of any group of players, like he's proved at Norwich and even Colchester, but there comes a point when Zak Whitehead is up against Didier Drogba, and they just wont beable to stand a chance.

I was under the impression he was out of contract. Having looked' date=' SSN reported him to be out of contract this summer, the BBC seem to think it's 2012.

Either way, he won't cost anything near £4m. Probably closer to £1m. Players who's contracts expire in one year and want to leave don't cost that much - especially when their chairman has already admitted publicly they can leave.[/quote']

He has a year left on his contract. Considering Peterborough have today accepted an offer for him clears that up - they wouldn't be able to accept or reject any offers if he was out of contract! :D

Personally think the fee will be in a similar region to what was being bandied about in January, roughly £2-2.5m.

If they payed 2.5 million for vaughan then the jokes on them. :D

2.5 for Morison is crazy money but discussing it on the derby mad board alot of people would rather us spend 2.5 million on Morison (which is obviously never going to happen) rather then get Waghorn in for 1.5.

I hate Derby fans sometimes,

apart from you woz, and you 'bare' knowledge. :D

If they payed 2.5 million for vaughan then the jokes on them. :D

2.5 for Morison is crazy money but discussing it on the derby mad board alot of people would rather us spend 2.5 million on Morison (which is obviously never going to happen) rather then get Waghorn in for 1.5.

I hate Derby fans sometimes' date='[/b']

apart from you woz, and you 'bare' knowledge. :D

I know the feeling :P Na ... just kidding :P:D

Waghorn's a better player than Morison, Morison has to be the most frustrating player to have in your team when i watch him playing for Wales.

I wouldn't have minded him if we'd have gone up, but wouldn't have paid anything more than £750k for him.

The joke is on Norwich fans though, not so much CMS but Vaughan and Morison :P It does show they're looking to spend money though B)

I know the feeling :P Na ... just kidding :P:D

Waghorn's a better player than Morison' date=' Morison has to be the most frustrating player to have in your team when i watch him playing for Wales.

I wouldn't have minded him if we'd have gone up, but wouldn't have paid anything more than £750k for him.

The joke is on Norwich fans though, not so much CMS but Vaughan and Morison :P It does show they're looking to spend money though B)[/quote']

lulz.

I agree, however Morison is very much the flavour of the month with championship fans so he will obviously get the nod over Waggy in their eyes.

Spending money is one thing, spending it on the right players is another. Blowing 2.5 million (alledgedly) on a croc is crazy.

Any news on Swanseas targets?