Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

I know the feeling :P Na ... just kidding :P:D

Waghorn's a better player than Morison' date=' Morison [b']has to be the most frustrating player to have in your team when i watch him playing for Wales. [/b]

I wouldn't have minded him if we'd have gone up, but wouldn't have paid anything more than £750k for him.

The joke is on Norwich fans though, not so much CMS but Vaughan and Morison :P It does show they're looking to spend money though B)

I know I sound rather boring & monotonous, however in terms of Wales, Ashley Williams is the most frustrating player to play. He can't string two passes together for us. Saying that Morison is a very close second. :o:p

Personally I wouldn't mind having Vaughan in a team of mine. He's lightning quick and I believe he scored a few on loan at Championship level. Would be interesting to see how he does should he get a decent run in a team as he seems to be riddled with injury.

He has a year left on his contract. Considering Peterborough have today accepted an offer for him clears that up - they wouldn't be able to accept or reject any offers if he was out of contract! :D

Personally think the fee will be in a similar region to what was being bandied about in January' date=' roughly [b']£2-2.5m[/b].

That doesn't really narrow it down. ;)

Fair enough on the contract, I was only going from an article on SSN before the play-offs saying he was out of contract in the summer.

I know I sound rather boring & monotonous' date=' however in terms of Wales, Ashley Williams is the most frustrating player to play. He can't string two passes together for us. Saying that Morison is a very close second. :o:p

Personally I wouldn't mind having Vaughan in a team of mine. He's lightning quick and I believe he scored a few on loan at Championship level. Would be interesting to see how he does should he get a decent run in a team as he seems to be riddled with injury.[/quote']

Haha, Ashley Williams is quality, week in, week out for Swansea. I'd rather have him at the back - as somebody who consistantly can defend for his country, then Darcy Blake, Craig Morgan, Danny Collins or Chris Gunter who simply cannot deal with the constant defensive pressure that you need to be strong enough to play for Wales

lulz.

I agree' date=' however Morison is very much the flavour of the month with championship fans so he will obviously get the nod over Waggy in their eyes.

Spending money is one thing, spending it on the right players is another. Blowing 2.5 million (alledgedly) on a croc is crazy.

Any news on Swanseas targets?[/quote']

Swansea targets. Well we've lost Fabio Borini (best of luck to him) but have managed to get Ferrie Bodde to sign a contract for next season. Dorus De Vries and Angel Rangel are expected to sign a contract witihn the next week whilst Darren Pratley could well leave as the only other out of contract player.

We could well become Chelsea's feeder club instead of Vitesse after going up. This could lead us to loaning in the likes of Ryan Bertrand, Gael Kakuta and Josh Mceachren next season.

We've apparantly put in a £3m bid for Danny Graham, that would probably be a little much but he does do the job in the Championship (and very well). Brendan has links with Watford, and if we were to sign him he's be the only big money signing at that sort of fee.

But on the whole other than just names we'd be looking to sign a centre-back and a full-back just to improve and add depth. In midfield we'd probably look to sign a centre-midfielder just to improve on what we've got and bring in a winger to add depth with one, two or even three forwards needed.

Ideally i would bring in: Bertrand, Mceachren and Kakuta (loan); Matt Mills/Luke Chambers (£1.5-2.5m); Any sort of back-up winger, possibly Chris Burke (making sure it's a free transfer ofcourse); Danny Graham (£3m) and 2 foreign forwards with goalscoring ability (total fee's of around £2m)

Haha' date=' Ashley Williams is quality, week in, week out for Swansea. I'd rather have him at the back - as somebody who consistantly can defend for his country, then Darcy Blake, Craig Morgan, Danny Collins or Chris Gunter who simply cannot deal with the constant defensive pressure that you need to be strong enough to play for Wales[/quote']

Darcy Blake's a decent player. I'd have played him more during our run-in.

Darcy Blake's a decent player. I'd have played him more during our run-in.

He's far from weak at Cardiff, but in the national team his partnership with Craig Morgan was suicidal. He didn't play well at all, and there's no question in the difference of ability between Williams and Blake. Williams would be far and away your best defender.

He's far from weak at Cardiff' date=' but in the national team his partnership with Craig Morgan was suicidal. He didn't play well at all, and there's no question in the difference of ability between Williams and Blake. Williams would be far and away your best defender.[/quote']

But that's like me saying based on one game, say Wales v Bulgaria, Ashley Williams is utter rubbish and Darcy Blake is better. :rolleyes:

& I'm a firm believer that when fit & playing well, Mark Hudson is better than Williams, as is Super Kevin McNaughton who based on this season is one of the best defenders in the Championship. :D

Haha' date=' Ashley Williams is quality, week in, week out for Swansea. I'd rather have him at the back - as somebody who consistantly can defend for his country, then Darcy Blake, Craig Morgan, Danny Collins or Chris Gunter who simply cannot deal with the constant defensive pressure that you need to be strong enough to play for Wales

Swansea targets. Well we've lost Fabio Borini (best of luck to him) but have managed to get Ferrie Bodde to sign a contract for next season. Dorus De Vries and Angel Rangel are expected to sign a contract witihn the next week whilst Darren Pratley could well leave as the only other out of contract player.

We could well become Chelsea's feeder club instead of Vitesse after going up. This could lead us to loaning in the likes of Ryan Bertrand, Gael Kakuta and Josh Mceachren next season.

We've apparantly put in a £3m bid for Danny Graham, that would probably be a little much but he does do the job in the Championship (and very well). Brendan has links with Watford, and if we were to sign him he's be the only big money signing at that sort of fee.

But on the whole other than just names we'd be looking to sign a centre-back and a full-back just to improve and add depth. In midfield we'd probably look to sign a centre-midfielder just to improve on what we've got and bring in a winger to add depth with one, two or even three forwards needed.

Ideally i would bring in: Bertrand, Mceachren and Kakuta (loan); Matt Mills/Luke Chambers (£1.5-2.5m); Any sort of back-up winger, possibly Chris Burke (making sure it's a free transfer ofcourse); Danny Graham (£3m) and 2 foreign forwards with goalscoring ability (total fee's of around £2m)[/quote']

Wrong thread.

Wrong thread.

How much do i love that that's the case :P anyway he asked me' date=' i answered on the thread he asked me which i think is fair enough :)

But that's like me saying based on one game, say Wales v Bulgaria, Ashley Williams is utter rubbish and Darcy Blake is better. :rolleyes:

& I'm a firm believer that when fit & playing well, Mark Hudson is better than Williams, as is Super Kevin McNaughton who based on this season is one of the best defenders in the Championship. :D

Right based on the fact you think Hudson is better than Willams, i've just go to take out the time to laugh :D:P:D:P:D

I was under the impression he was out of contract. Having looked' date=' SSN reported him to be out of contract this summer, the BBC seem to think it's 2012.

Either way, he won't cost anything near £4m. Probably closer to £1m. Players who's contracts expire in one year and want to leave don't cost that much - especially when their chairman has already admitted publicly they can leave.[/quote']

He has a year left on his contract. Considering Peterborough have today accepted an offer for him clears that up - they wouldn't be able to accept or reject any offers if he was out of contract! :D

Personally think the fee will be in a similar region to what was being bandied about in January' date=' roughly £2-2.5m.[/quote']

Andyowls has all the facts right including the fee! Not sure where Swanseajack gets £4m from, but if we get that for him then great.

He has 1 year left on his current deal and refused a new contract at beginning of the season just finished. Posh can not afford to lose him for nothing.

2.5 for Morison is crazy money but discussing it on the derby mad board alot of people would rather us spend 2.5 million on Morison (which is obviously never going to happen) rather then get Waghorn in for 1.5.
Waghorn's a better player than Morison' date=' Morison has to be the most frustrating player to have in your team when i watch him playing for Wales.[/quote']

I haven't seen Morison play that much, but I get the feeling that Waghorn is a tad overrated. He's got the potential to become 'world class'* but at the moment he's still got a lot to improve upon. He needs to improve his composure, even in the pre-match warm up he just belts the ball as hard as he can. He gets called 'one-foot Waggy' which tells you all you need to know. He's not great on holding the ball up, but he is strong and fast. That all sounds quite negative, but he's a good player with good potential, he just needs regular games somewhere (and not on the wing!). I hope it's here, as I don't want the whole squad changed, but if Sven opts for a 4-3-3 with wingers again then I don't see him getting much game time.

* Joking, obviously :P

I haven't seen Morison play that much' date=' but I get the feeling that Waghorn is a tad overrated. He's got the potential to become 'world class'* but at the moment he's still got a lot to improve upon. He needs to improve his composure, even in the pre-match warm up he just belts the ball as hard as he can. He gets called 'one-foot Waggy' which tells you all you need to know. He's not great on holding the ball up, but he is strong and fast. That all sounds quite negative, but he's a good player with good potential, he just needs regular games somewhere (and not on the wing!). I hope it's here, as I don't want the whole squad changed, but if Sven opts for a 4-3-3 with wingers again then I don't see him getting much game time.

* Joking, obviously :P[/quote']

:P

Waghorn is a lot better than Morison, Morison is obviously going to get hyped about because he scored a few goals at the start of the season and has scored well, but there's not much in Morison. Waghorn will be a great player in the future, if Morison goes to Norwich i doubt he'll do anything and just come back down the leagues. I'd have Waghorn over Morison any day, but i don't think Leicester need either at the minute.

Aidan' date=' can I ask, are you basing your opinion entirely on Morison's performances for Wales?[/quote']

Nope, when watching him for Millwall on TV his role seems very limited and it's very much kick it to Morison (which Norwich won't do near as much). Watching him at the Liberty and at The New Den against us aswell, he didn't do much in either game, away from home he missed a free header with a gaping goal from 6 yards. He's nothing special, a good Championship striker but nothing special - and nothing for Norwich to waste there money on.

Andyowls has all the facts right including the fee! Not sure where Swanseajack gets £4m from' date=' but if we get that for him then great.

He has 1 year left on his current deal and refused a new contract at beginning of the season just finished. Posh can not afford to lose him for nothing.[/quote']

Local press have stated around 12 clubs interested with the fee possibly around £3m, a bidding war will start now!

I remember Simon Cox getting a £2.5m move to WBA from Swindon off the back of only 1 good season in League 1. CMS has scored 99 league goals in 4.5 seasons for us

Local press have stated around 12 clubs interested with the fee possibly around £3m' date=' a bidding war will start now!

I remember Simon Cox getting a £2.5m move to WBA from Swindon off the back of only 1 good season in League 1. CMS has scored 99 league goals in 4.5 seasons for us[/quote']

Cox went for £1.9m, of which only £1.2m was up front.

Cox went for £1.9m' date=' of which only £1.2m was up front.[/quote']

This is true.

Cox was also in his early twenties when he moved, it's easier to justify spending a bit of money on potential. What you see is what you're pretty much going to get with Mackail-Smith at this stage in his career.

My 'bare' knowledge suggests that Tyson is gonna sign, Maguire is all but done but apart from that it is worryingly quiet. Shackell deal should be back on now Barnsley have a manager aswell.

My 'bare' knowledge suggests that Tyson is gonna sign' date=' Maguire is all but done but apart from that it is worryingly quiet. Shackell deal should be back on now Barnsley have a manager aswell.[/quote']

Worryingly quiet for you? We have around 15 players & no manager. :(:o

Not gonna lie' date=' I fear for you next season...[/quote']

I'm sure they'll hire a strong manager, bring in a few good free transfers and a couple of decent loans along with some loans to fill in the numbers.

I wouldn't expect them to finish 4th, but i would expect them to finish around mid-table :)

I'm sure they'll hire a strong manager' date=' bring in a few good free transfers and a couple of decent loans along with some loans to fill in the numbers.

I wouldn't expect them to finish 4th, but i would expect them to finish around mid-table :)[/quote']

Thats what I mean, Cardiff won't meet the standards that they have been meeting in the past few seasons. They've lost key players (Bothroyd, Burke) and a very good manager and they have spent quite abit on their way aswell, especially on the wages of Bellamy.

They'll finish in the bottom half/midtable

I sense your bare knowledge may be correct Woz. :D.

You'll be able to smell the fear of the opposition when Robinson and Tyson enter the field with 20 minutes to go in the game. :D. Absolute Pace.

I think we are trying to sort out the Bryson fee but that has indeed dropped quiet.

Barnsley have now rejected 2 bids from Derby.

Looking on the tykes board they are looking for around 2million pounds plus for him.

That is an absolute joke imo. 1 million and its good buisness.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3614617/Steve-Morison-set-for-Norwich-deal.html

As for Morison, it looks like he's set to leave Millwall for Norwich for a fee of £2.8m. Suppose to be £2m with £800k worth of add-ons, i think it's stupidity on Norwich's part. Vaughan was a poor signing, but after him you wouldn't have felt they'd have needed a striker, apparantly they were stupid enough to buy Morison even with links to be signing CMS.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3614617/Steve-Morison-set-for-Norwich-deal.html

As for Morison' date=' it looks like he's set to leave Millwall for Norwich for a fee of £2.8m.[/b'] Suppose to be £2m with £800k worth of add-ons, i think it's stupidity on Norwich's part. Vaughan was a poor signing, but after him you wouldn't have felt they'd have needed a striker, apparantly they were stupid enough to buy Morison even with links to be signing CMS.

Based on a report by The Sun?

I'll believe it when I see it.