Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

3.5mil for Snodgrass? What in insult to his abilities.

A £3.5 million bid is far from an insult to Snodgrass's abilities. I believe he is a good player, certainly. But i think that's just about what he's worth, and if Norwich ended up signing him for £4 million then they'd be slightly overpaying for him. It's far from an insulting offer though, and on the back of a couple of insulting offers for our players in the past (Blackpool for Rangel, Derby for Bodde) i think this is far from the case.

A £3.5 million bid is far from an insult to Snodgrass's abilities. I believe he is a good player' date=' certainly. But i think that's just about what he's worth, and if Norwich ended up signing him for £4 million then they'd be slightly overpaying for him. It's far from an insulting offer though, and on the back of a couple of insulting offers for our players in the past (Blackpool for Rangel, Derby for Bodde) i think this is far from the case.[/quote']

You can't forget though, David Nugent signed for Pompey for £6 million (WAY OVERPAYING!). He was imo the best Preston striker of this generation, and I loved the way he played and still do love my Nugey boy (Don't ask :P) but £6 million was way to much for him at the time and still would be. Not knocking him, of course not, but if Preston can get that for their best player at the time, I don't see why Leeds can't for one of their best players now. Maybe not £6 million but £5 million+ ;)

I don't think £3.5m is an insulting offer for ANY championship player. £3.5m is the figure Birmingham paid Coventry for Scott Dann and we ripped their hand off when they offered that. Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton went for a combined £9m to Spurs, and that fee was greeted with bemusement amongst fans.

Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott went for initial fees of around £5m. Theo's settlement made it a total fee of £9.1m and Bale went for a total of £7m in the end. Now with the greatest respect to Snodgrass, he's not in the same league as Bale and Theo!

£3.5m is a big big fee for a Championship player. If QPR had of stayed in the Championship Taarabt wouldn't have gone for more than maybe £5m.

(p.s, welcome back to SM meeeee! :D)

I don't think £3.5m is an insulting offer for ANY championship player. £3.5m is the figure Birmingham paid Coventry for Scott Dann and we ripped their hand off when they offered that. Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton went for a combined £9m to Spurs' date=' and that fee was greeted with bemusement amongst fans.

Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott went for initial fees of around £5m. Theo's settlement made it a total fee of £9.1m and Bale went for a total of £7m in the end. Now with the greatest respect to Snodgrass, he's not in the same league as Bale and Theo!

£3.5m is a big big fee for a Championship player. If QPR had of stayed in the Championship Taarabt wouldn't have gone for more than maybe £5m.

(p.s, welcome back to SM meeeee! :D)[/quote']

I agree with this, £3.5m is a lot of money for someone who isn't 'special' at Championship level, if you see what I mean.

What do you think of Marlon King signing (well, verbally signing) a new contract Adam?

I agree with this' date=' £3.5m is a lot of money for someone who isn't 'special' at Championship level, if you see what I mean.

What do you think of Marlon King signing (well, verbally signing) a new contract Adam?[/quote']

Well, until he officially signs I won't breathe a sign of relief. We all know how agents work! But in terms of having him back if he signs, it will be massive for the club. I was one of the first to get on his back because of his past and I still don't like him as a person, but as a footballer there is no denying his ability. 14 goals in 24 starts is a great ratio and he gives us a solid proven goalscorer to build around for August. Keeping him could be the key to keeping Gunnarsson, and having both of them at the club next season would be a massive bonus.

I don't think £3.5m is an insulting offer for ANY championship player. £3.5m is the figure Birmingham paid Coventry for Scott Dann and we ripped their hand off when they offered that. Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton went for a combined £9m to Spurs' date=' and that fee was greeted with bemusement amongst fans.

(p.s, welcome back to SM meeeee! :D)[/quote']

You seem to be forgetting how the market has inflated dramatically in the last year or two due to Man City and Real Madrid. Look at what Norwich are spending, what Swansea reportedly bid on Graham.

Personally, I don't think £3.5m is an insult or derisory. It will be an insult from Bates had he accepted it without debate, as we don't need the money and we don't want to be selling our best players. But your comparisons are irrelevant in the circumstances. Like comparing Shearer to Carroll.

I agree with this' date=' £3.5m is a lot of money for someone who isn't [b']'special'[/b] at Championship level, if you see what I mean.

What do you think of Marlon King signing (well, verbally signing) a new contract Adam?

How is he not 'special'? On his day, Snodgrass is the best winger at this level, bar none. He's unplayable. The reason he's not a PL footballer is because "his day" only comes around 2 months in a year.

How is he not 'special'? On his day' date=' Snodgrass is the best winger at this level, bar none. He's unplayable. The reason he's not a PL footballer is because "his day" only comes around 2 months in a year.[/quote']

very deluded leeds fan.

I assume you saw Snodgrass in action then?

No?

Then your opinion is totally and utterly irrelevant.

this. Snodgrass puts the willies up defenders when he is on the ball.

Kris Commons on one side with Snodgrass on the other would have literally molestered this league.

How is he not 'special'? On his day' date=' Snodgrass is the best winger at this level, bar none. He's unplayable. The reason he's not a PL footballer is because "his day" only comes around 2 months in a year.[/quote']

Best winger at this level? Your joking right? Sinclair, Taarabt and Whittingham are much better wingers.

Best winger at this level? Your joking right? Sinclair' date=' Taarabt and Whittingham are much better wingers.[/quote']

On his day, being the key part of that sentence. For two months of the season he was "unplayable" - not one defender could handle him, he tore teams apart and he scores some incredible goals. His consistency lets him down. I wasn't arguing he was the best winger, I was arguing that he was a "bit special for the Championship", which he most certainly is. On his day he can tear apart any defender. Aurelio, Dossena, Bale, Dawson, to name but a few.

And Taarabt is not a winger, never has been. I don't know why people claim he is.

Well' date=' until he officially signs I won't breathe a sign of relief. We all know how agents work! But in terms of having him back if he signs, it will be massive for the club. I was one of the first to get on his back because of his past and I still don't like him as a person, but as a footballer there is no denying his ability. 14 goals in 24 starts is a great ratio and he gives us a solid proven goalscorer to build around for August. Keeping him could be the key to keeping Gunnarsson, and having both of them at the club next season would be a massive bonus.[/quote']

I have to say, I'm extremely glad (in some ways anyway) that he's going to sign a new contract with you lot. As good a footballer as he is, I wouldn't want someone like him playing for our club. As you said, I'm sure that you felt the same when he was rumoured to be joining, but you're glad to keep him now he's proven his worth. He played a blinder against us, had a brilliant game. It also demonstrates good ambition by the club to keep hold of him, and good loyalty by King to stay, when there would surely have been higher profile teams knocking. (Are we one of those higher profile teams? I'll leave you to decide :P)

We have a live one.

Probably not the best idea to insult one of the stalwarts of this thread with one of your first posts. ;)

Why thank you :D

How is he not 'special'? On his day' date=' Snodgrass is the best winger at this level, bar none. He's unplayable. [b']The reason he's not a PL footballer is because "his day" only comes around 2 months in a year[/b].

That's why he's not special :o Not denying that he's not great on his day, but him, along with most of the good Championship players, aren't consistent enough, like you said :)

On his day' date=' being the key part of that sentence. For two months of the season he was "unplayable" - not one defender could handle him, he tore teams apart and he scores some incredible goals. His consistency lets him down. I wasn't arguing he was the best winger, I was arguing that he was a "bit special for the Championship", which he most certainly is. On his day he can tear apart any defender. Aurelio, Dossena, Bale, Dawson, to name but a few.

And Taarabt is not a winger, never has been. I don't know why people claim he is.[/quote']

Brayford bossed him.

Brayford bossed him.

facepalm.jpg

Snodgrass didn't even come up against Brayford.

And he was "unplayable" from about December to February. From March onwards he was average. Did you read my entire post or just pick out parts to latch on to?

facepalm.jpg

Snodgrass didn't even come up against Brayford.

And he was "unplayable" from about December to February. From March onwards he was average. Did you read my entire post or just pick out parts to latch on to?

I picked out parts to latch on to.

I shouldn't do it but I seem to have a thing that I like whinding people up :D

Snodgrass would've ripped your left-back (Roberts?) apart if he had been fit in August though!

I'm sorry, but ripping apart Gareth Roberts ... in a specific month of the year, is far from anything to gloat about ... nevermind not only being valued at £3.5 million but apparantly being a player a player that £3.5 million is an insulting amount of money for Norwich to bid for him. :o

I'm sorry' date=' but ripping apart Gareth Roberts ... in a specific month of the year, is far from anything to gloat about ... nevermind not only being valued at £3.5 million but apparantly being a player a player that £3.5 million is an insulting amount of money for Norwich to bid for him. :o[/quote']

Jesus man, it's called banter.

It wasn't me who claimed £3.5m was an insult. That was Studge. Not all Leeds fans have the same opinion, believe it or not.

Snodgrass is far better than Nathan Dyer.