Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

I don't think £3.5m is an insulting offer for ANY championship player. £3.5m is the figure Birmingham paid Coventry for Scott Dann and we ripped their hand off when they offered that. Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton went for a combined £9m to Spurs' date=' and that fee was greeted with bemusement amongst fans.

[b']Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott went for initial fees of around £5m. Theo's settlement made it a total fee of £9.1m and Bale went for a total of £7m in the end. Now with the greatest respect to Snodgrass, he's not in the same league as Bale and Theo![/b]

£3.5m is a big big fee for a Championship player. If QPR had of stayed in the Championship Taarabt wouldn't have gone for more than maybe £5m.

(p.s, welcome back to SM meeeee! :D)

Both were just kids and Southampton were in trouble , we needed the money where as Leeds are better off with Snodgrass , i've watched him on a number of occasions and even when Beckford was in the team (i didn't like him) Snodgrass was still the star of that Leeds squad. In my opinion he's better and more efficent than Gradel , yes there jobs are slightly differen't and Gradel does score a ton of goals i just find Snodgrass the better player to watch.

To a team from the outside looking in Snodgrass would be a good signing at £3,500,000 but why should Leeds sell to benifit others? If they're to challenge next year they need to keep their best players and Snodgrass is one of them. I would hope they wouldn't sell but if they did i would hope they held out for at least £5mil+

Also on the Taarabt point , half the teams would be put off due to his attitude where as Snodgrass doesn't have that problem and actually turns up at away games.

I have to say' date=' I'm extremely glad (in some ways anyway) that he's going to sign a new contract with you lot. As good a footballer as he is, I wouldn't want someone like him playing for our club. As you said, I'm sure that you felt the same when he was rumoured to be joining, but you're glad to keep him now he's proven his worth. He played a blinder against us, had a brilliant game. It also demonstrates good ambition by the club to keep hold of him, and good loyalty by King to stay, when there would surely have been higher profile teams knocking. (Are we one of those higher profile teams? I'll leave you to decide :P)

Why thank you :D

[b']That's why he's not special :o Not denying that he's not great on his day, but him, along with most of the good Championship players, aren't consistent enough, like you said :)[/b]

You may have a point here.

Jesus man' date=' it's called banter.

It wasn't me who claimed £3.5m was an insult. That was Studge. Not all Leeds fans have the same opinion, believe it or not.

[b']Snodgrass is far better than Nathan Dyer.

[/b]

Haha, i'm going to take this as the top point. Didn't know players abilities lived on hype rather than performances ;):P:D:cool:

Haha' date=' i'm going to take this as the top point. Didn't know players abilities lived on hype rather than performances ;):P:D:cool:[/quote']

Snodgrass is a better player than Dyer :o It's like comparing Park to Nani, Nani is a far better player but Park does a great job for Man Utd.

Bougherra is determined to leave Rangers, and is willing to break his contract with them to leave. Really hope we sign him, a top CB is a priority for us.

Snodgrass is a better player than Dyer :o It's like comparing Park to Nani' date=' Nani is a far better player but Park does a great job for Man Utd.

Bougherra is determined to leave Rangers, and is willing to break his contract with them to leave. Really hope we sign him, a top CB is a priority for us.[/quote']

Oh god, don't turn this into a discussion, I don't want to start another mass debate. I wasn't being serious. :(

Snodgrass is a better player than Dyer :o It's like comparing Park to Nani' date=' Nani is a far better player but Park does a great job for Man Utd.

Bougherra is determined to leave Rangers, and is willing to break his contract with them to leave. Really hope we sign him, a top CB is a priority for us.[/quote']

I'm not going to bother argueing in this one.

But why are you comparing him to Park, he doesn't play like Park in any way, shape or form. Without Nathan Dyer, we'd be playing Peterborough next season, that's all i'm going to say.

I'm not going to bother argueing in this one.

But why are you comparing him to Park' date=' he doesn't play like Park in any way, shape or form. Without Nathan Dyer, we'd be playing Peterborough next season, that's all i'm going to say.[/quote']

and the likes of Nathan Dyer will ensure your playing the likes of Peterborough the season after. :D

Only playing Aiden.

Haha' date=' i'm loving how much people are underestimating us.

First year in League 1: play-off final

First year in The Championship: 8th place

I think people need to watch us, and Nathan Dyer, a little more ;)[/quote']

we'll see. :)

Studge, you are deluded to think 3.5 million is an insulting offer.

We got 300k for Kris Commons who is better than Snodgrass.

Different circumstances entirely but think yourself lucky.

Haha' date=' i'm loving how much people [b']are underestimating us[/b].

First year in League 1: play-off final

First year in The Championship: 8th place

I think people need to watch us, and Nathan Dyer, a little more ;)

Blackpool, Hull, Burnley, Derby, Watford...

Yep, the Playoff winners are always teams to be feared, renowned for their longevity in the Premier League...

blackpool' date=' hull, burnley, derby, watford...

Yep, the playoff winners are always teams to be feared, renowned for their longevity in the premier league...[/quote']

Hahahaha!

So So true <3

Blackpool' date=' Hull, Burnley, Derby, Watford...

Yep, the Playoff winners are always teams to be feared, renowned for their longevity in the Premier League...[/quote']

So what, it doesn't neccesarily mean we're going down just because history shows that there's a bit of a trend.

Next Newcastle will be having 2nd season syndrome :rolleyes:B):P;)

So what' date=' it doesn't neccesarily mean we're going down just because history shows that there's a bit of a trend.

Next Newcastle will be having 2nd season syndrome :rolleyes:B):P;)[/quote']

Newcastle are a team with Premier league quality players. Swansea are not.

(waits for Scott Sinclair Blah blah blah)

That might have worked' date=' had you not talked about our best player :rolleyes::P[/quote']

How does Nathan Dyer play then? He's not a goalscorer like Sinclair, I just got the impression from the play-offs that he runs around a lot...

And regarding the play-off winners getting relegated, statistics mean nothing to the individual ;)

So what' date=' it doesn't neccesarily mean we're going down just because history shows that there's a bit of a trend.

Next Newcastle will be having 2nd season syndrome :rolleyes:B):P;)[/quote']

Newcastle came up as Champions with 100 odd points, though. And it goes much further than 'a bit of a trend'. The last playoff winning team who survived (by my reckoning) were West Ham United, but that squad was one with a lot of Premier League experience, and they invested in top Championship talent with the likes of Ashton.

Every playoff team comes up with the same attitude every season, their fans too, and what you ahve to realise that a team that wasn't good enough to win the Championship is therefore much less likely to maintain long term survival in the PL.

When teams playing attractive football, like Swansea, come up, they'll either be defensively very suspect or like WBA they'll do reasonably well, but when West brom came up they had much more PL experience in their squad than you have, and the transfer market (more about who you keep than who you bring in IMO) will be important for Swansea.

How does Nathan Dyer play then? He's not a goalscorer like Sinclair' date=' I just got the impression from the play-offs that he runs around a lot...

And regarding the play-off winners getting relegated, statistics mean nothing to the individual ;)[/quote']

Park runs just at the ball, closes down. Dyer runs at his men, beats them all the time and has cut open every full-back in the division which such consistant performances. Here comes "where was he at Derby" or whatever, with the one or two occasions tha he didn't play well. But i believe Nathan Dyer has won 26 MOTM awards out of a possible 46 - tells you everything.

Newcastle are a team with Premier league quality players. Swansea are not.

(waits for Scott Sinclair Blah blah blah)

See this is a typical Premiership attitude on Swansea City' date=' anybody like Seft for example who's seen us play a few times will tell us "Scott who?", Dyer and Dobbie are the main men, Sinclair adds very little and although his goals are crucial, it's not like we are a one man team, i'd rather him on the bench than Nathan Dyer for example.

Newcastle came up as Champions with 100 odd points, though. And it goes much further than 'a bit of a trend'. The last playoff winning team who survived (by my reckoning) were West Ham United, but that squad was one with a lot of Premier League experience, and they invested in top Championship talent with the likes of Ashton.

Every playoff team comes up with the same attitude every season, their fans too, and what you ahve to realise that a team that wasn't good enough to win the Championship is therefore much less likely to maintain long term survival in the PL.

When teams playing attractive football, like Swansea, come up, they'll either be defensively very suspect or like WBA they'll do reasonably well, but when West brom came up they had much more PL experience in their squad than you have, and the transfer market (more about who you keep than who you bring in IMO) will be important for Swansea.

Stats don't mean anything, we're as good as Norwich. Yes they've got more upfront, but we've got a much stronger defence which is going to be needed a lot more against the top sides.

Don't compare us with WBA when they played fairly decent football, we play great stuff, not good stuff.

Who do you think is going to leave us? Yes Taylor's being linked away, but if that £1m buy out clause is rubbish, then only Pratley is likely to leave and he's a bench warmer. No major palyers are leaving us, and it's more about the players we bring in for sure.

And what is it about my attitude as a fan of Swansea that we're going to do anyhing other then put up a strong fight for survival, and be far from pushovers? Same with any other Swansea fan, we've got nothing less then the likes of Wolves, Norwich and co.

Wba of 09/10 played better stuff than swansea did this year.

EDIT: Nathan Dyer to Barcelona Aidan?

Can't agree with that. WBA didn't have any passers, they simply looked for goals with very good strikers and a good goalscoring midfielders in Graeme Dorrans and Chris Brunt. They liked to knock the ball about a bit, but they just don't have the team to pass the ball. Where's there Joe Allens? Leon Brittons? Stephen Dobibe's? Ashley Williams? Gary Monk? who are so good on the ball, as for me there defence just and holding midfielders aren't comfortable on the ball.

No mate, Dyer's staying put :P

we'll see. :)

Studge' date=' you are deluded to think 3.5 million is an insulting offer.

[b']We got 300k for Kris Commons who is better than Snodgrass[/b].

hahahaha and you call me deluded. I'll let the nurse know you're out of bed again.

Christ, if Dyer doesn't win POTS next year I'm going to be disappointed. :rolleyes:

And as for "We've got nothing less than Wolves...". Hate to break it to you; but you do. You think your style's going to work as well in the Prem? Those teams have Premier League experience, and as much as you think that it doesn't count for anything - it does.

Year after year there's no small amount of naivety in the fans of the promoted sides, who, just like you, think they've got the minerals to hang with the Premier League sides, and year after year they're put down a peg or two, often with any Premier League standard players they have leaving them for greener pastures further up the ladder.

Swansea lack Premier League experience, financial clout, an experienced manager (as much as people may hate to admit it, but without McCarthy Wolves would've been down, and as close as they cut it, they survived). QPR are going to spend their way into survival in all probability which leaves Swansea, Norwich, Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn (IMO) as the teams that are liable to be relegated. Who in the right mind would say that Swansea are one of the best two teams out of those mentioned?

Venkys will more than likely give Blackburn enough investment to see them survive next season, and I daresay that Swansea will have to make do with recruitments from lower down the food chain (the likes of Graham whose more-than-brief Premier League experience is as valuable as pocket lint), all of whom stand a chance of being completely out of their depth.

SEB of Wolves was the undisputed best striker in the Championship for Wolves, yet could barely get a shot off in the Prem. Your own Jason Scotland jumped ship to Wigan and was as deadly as a beached whale, the players 'who beat their man every time' are sure as hell not going to be anywhere near as good in the big league.

Oh, and Dyer's 26 MOTMs won't translate into 2 in the Premier League... And to say that you're as good as Norwich is a little off when they finshed having scored more goals and conceded nearly a quarter less goals than you. Sure, you beat them, but they beat you - just remember that arrogance and unwarranted self confidence count for sweet FA.

Interesting stats check......

Snodgrass:

10/11-37apps/6goals/6assists

09/10-44apps/7goals/8assists (League1)

08/09-44apps/9goals/16assists (League1)

Commons:

10/11-40apps/24goals/6assists*

09/10-20apps/3goals/5assists

08/09-34apps/5goals/9assists

*Celtic 14apps/11goals/4assists....Derby 26apps/13goals/2assists

Not saying Commons is better or worse for one second (in my opinion I'd rather have Commons in my team than Snodgrass, but it is just my opinion), just it's actually pretty close.