Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Roumers are suggesting we have agreed to sell Alex Oxlade Chamberlain to Arsenal for a fee around £10,000,000 , considering we turned down a deal worth £13,000,000 in January I would be disappointed to see him go for cheaper. By the way I am fully aware it will be on future performances when it would get anywhere near that amount no initial.

Chamberlains dad hasn't really helped to make me feel any better when on a number of occasions he has claimed that Arsenal our a great club and one he would rather see Alex at sooner rather than latter as they've done such a great job with theo.

I hope he stays , were I. The position we don't have to sell and with 3/4 youths of equal potential about to break through it would be a shame to see him go before we get to see them all play together. Hopefully Adkins will try his upmost to keep him!

Roumers are suggesting we have agreed to sell Alex Oxlade Chamberlain to Arsenal for a fee around £10' date='000,000 , considering we turned down a deal worth £13,000,000 in January I would be disappointed to see him go for cheaper. By the way I am fully aware it will be on future performances when it would get anywhere near that amount no initial.

Chamberlains dad hasn't really helped to make me feel any better when on a number of occasions he has claimed that Arsenal our a great club and one he would rather see Alex at sooner rather than latter as they've done such a great job with theo.

I hope he stays , were I. The position we don't have to sell and with 3/4 youths of equal potential about to break through it would be a shame to see him go before we get to see them all play together. Hopefully Adkins will try his upmost to keep him![/quote']

I would rather see him stay another year to see if do the stuff at championship level.

Roumers are suggesting we have agreed to sell Alex Oxlade Chamberlain to Arsenal for a fee around £10' date='000,000 , considering we turned down a deal worth £13,000,000 in January I would be disappointed to see him go for cheaper. By the way I am fully aware it will be on future performances when it would get anywhere near that amount no initial.

I hope he stays , were I. The position we don't have to sell and with 3/4 youths of equal potential about to break through it would be a shame to see him go before we get to see them all play together. Hopefully Adkins will try his upmost to keep him![/quote']

I think to be well and truly honest the ship has sailed on you guys keeping hold of the lad. His agent will be in his ear constantly telling him the wage differences and as we all know too well nowadays, there's no loyalty in football any more. Arsenal won't want his development to be hampered by a season of Championship football, as it could let him develop bad habits in a League that's not as crisp and precise as the PL. That's what Liverpool did with Conor Thomas when they grabbed him on loan before he got used to the Championship, and I could see the same sort of situation here with Alex (just as a permanent transfer instead).

Modern day football, a total pain really.

I think to be well and truly honest the ship has sailed on you guys keeping hold of the lad. His agent will be in his ear constantly telling him the wage differences and as we all know too well nowadays' date=' there's no loyalty in football any more. [b']Arsenal won't want his development to be hampered by a season of Championship football, as it could let him develop bad habits in a League that's not as crisp and precise as the PL.[/b] That's what Liverpool did with Conor Thomas when they grabbed him on loan before he got used to the Championship, and I could see the same sort of situation here with Alex (just as a permanent transfer instead).

Modern day football, a total pain really.

I'm sorry but this is just ludicrous.

If that were the case, why do Arsenal loan our most of their youth team to Championship and League 1 teams?

I think to be well and truly honest the ship has sailed on you guys keeping hold of the lad. His agent will be in his ear constantly telling him the wage differences and as we all know too well nowadays' date=' there's no loyalty in football any more. Arsenal won't want his development to be hampered by a season of Championship football, as it could let him develop bad habits in a League that's not as crisp and precise as the PL. That's what Liverpool did with Conor Thomas when they grabbed him on loan before he got used to the Championship, and I could see the same sort of situation here with Alex (just as a permanent transfer instead).

Modern day football, a total pain really.[/quote']

Ive lost a lot of hope to but there is still some there , were a team on the up and with the money in the club at the moment I think its safe to say we could offer him and Adam (Lallana) a hefty wage to stay. If I'm honest before last season he wasn't even considered that special ,he was a centre midfielder un able to to impress due to being to small and got a chance on the wing where he just took off. If he went it would be a shame as him and Lallanas partnership has been incredible this season but he's certaintly not worth what there prepared to pay for him! He's certaintly one for the future I just don't want Arsenal to ruin his potential , Theo could of been twice the player he is now.

If that were the case' date=' why do Arsenal loan our most of their youth team to Championship and League 1 teams?[/quote']

Agreed, a year of Championship football is only good for him.

Loan moves to the Championship from the likes of Henri Lansbury, Jay Emmanuel Thomas, Aaron Ramsey and Kyle Bartley recentley (just off the top of my head) show you that they are more then happy for him to be playing Championship football.

I think he's being overvalued at the minute to be honest, and i think a season in the Championship is vital for Alex before moving up to the Premiership :)

If that were the case' date=' why do Arsenal loan our most of their youth team to Championship and League 1 teams?[/quote']

There's a difference between sending them out to get match practice and signing them up before they get too accustomed to lower level practice. If Alex stays at Southampton for another season he will be 1 year behind in his skills development. The coaching staff at Arsenal are better and can turn him into a more skilled individual. He will then go out on loan to build up his knowledge and footballing IQ.

Also note that the teams they loan the players too are usually passing sides with a chance of winning more than they lose. They want to get the right mentality into their players (well, the ones they really believe stand a chance of being a success). The others are sent out to get their name out there to be sold. Alex is at the age where he NEEDS to start being coached the passing style of football Arsenal play.

It was the same with Conor Thomas and Liverpool. They loaned him from Coventry to start teaching him the Liverpool way in their youth setup. If he had of grasped it he would have been bought, trained a little more and THEN loaned out. Because he didn't quite grasp it, it looks like we'll be getting him back.

Agreed' date=' a year of Championship football is only good for him.

Loan moves to the Championship from the likes of Henri Lansbury, Jay Emmanuel Thomas, Aaron Ramsey and Kyle Bartley recentley (just off the top of my head) show you that they are more then happy for him to be playing Championship football.

I think he's being overvalued at the minute to be honest, and i think a season in the Championship is vital for Alex before moving up to the Premiership :)[/quote']

In a way this actually proves my point. Conor Thomas and Alex both aged 17, need to be developing the skills. Ramsey, Thomas, Bartley and Lansbury all 20+ need to be getting the match practice.

There is a fine line to the development of the player. He needs to be trained the right skills at a young age before going out to practice them as he hits 20/21. That is when they know for sure the player will be good enough.

Don't for one second think that Alex will be bought to play in the PL next season. He will be trained up for a few months by the Arsenal coaching staff and will then be loaned out possibly in January to get the match practice. Then he will go back to the Emirates at the end of next season ready to start breaking into the Arsenal side.

Can't agree with that. WBA didn't have any passers' date=' they simply looked for goals with very good strikers and a good goalscoring midfielders in Graeme Dorrans and Chris Brunt. They liked to knock the ball about a bit, but they just don't have the team to pass the ball. Where's there Joe Allens? Leon Brittons? Stephen Dobibe's? Ashley Williams? Gary Monk? who are so good on the ball, as for me there defence just and holding midfielders aren't comfortable on the ball.

No mate, Dyer's staying put :P[/quote']

Blimey. :D What is this, I don't even.

You know when you get all indignant about people commenting on Swansea who are ignorant of how you play and your players, well it kind of nullifies that when you display said ignorance yourself about other teams.

To call Brunt and Dorrans goalscoring midfielders as if they're one dimensional players is doing them a massive disservice. Everything went through Dorrans in 09/10, he effectively replaced Greening as the heartbeat of the team. He controlled the way we played for the vast majority of the season exactly through the way he passed the ball, the goals were a bonus and iirc a large amount of them came from the penalty spot. Charlie Adam got a similar amount of goals, if not more, that year and I'm sure nobody would suggest he wasn't a ball playing midfielder. Brunt has a fine range of passing, his goals get attention because they're often spectacular ones and he has got a wand of a left foot. But given that he's been asked to play behind a striker almost as a trequartista for large periods this season it's folly to suggest he isn't a fine ball player, he's effectively taken on the mantle as our play maker in the absence of Dorrans. James Morrison can play a bit as well, granted his main asset is drifting in between the lines and finding space but if he couldn't pick a pass when he got there he wouldn't be getting in our team, frankly. Mulumbu came on leaps and bounds in terms of his distribution last season as well. Jerome Thomas was just about the only regular in midfield who was more about an end product than the build up.

As for the rubbish about defenders, Jonas Olsson is as good a user of the ball from defence as I've seen at the Albion in donkeys years. We had two fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball in Cech and Jara as well. And as for looking for goals with very good strikers, I believe we used Luke Moore, Roman Bednar, Chris Wood and Simon Cox for the majority of that season, none of whom were exactly slamming in the goals.

Of course you're right; but the way I see it is that Wenger wouldn't want to loan out a £10m purchase unless he was getting PL experience.

Initially he refused to let Ramsey be loaned out (United's offer for him seemed stronger as they offered to loan him back to Cardiff in my understanding, but Ramsey was more tempted by Arsenal) and he completely refused to let Walcott go out on loan.

Anyway; my opinion is if we DO sign him (which is doubtful considering the way we dragged our heels over the deal in January) he be loaned out to PL club, but any loan experience would be beneficial, provided of course that he doesn't break anything on a freezing cold night in Hull...

The lad's well proven at League One level; so I don't see much point in him going back there. My ideal scenario is that we sign Hazard, rendering him a fringe player for the time being, then loan him out to Leeds. They really did give Sanchez Watt a good turnout, and given their attacking style it would be useful experience.

Of course you're right; but the way I see it is that Wenger wouldn't want to loan out a £10m purchase unless he was getting PL experience.

Initially he refused to let Ramsey be loaned out (United's offer for him seemed stronger as they offered to loan him back to Cardiff in my understanding' date=' but Ramsey was more tempted by Arsenal) and he completely refused to let Walcott go out on loan.

Anyway; my opinion is if we [b']DO[/b] sign him (which is doubtful considering the way we dragged our heels over the deal in January) he be loaned out to PL club, but any loan experience would be beneficial, provided of course that he doesn't break anything on a freezing cold night in Hull...

The lad's well proven at League One level; so I don't see much point in him going back there. My ideal scenario is that we sign Hazard, rendering him a

fringe player for the time being, then loan him out to Leeds. They really did give Sanchez Watt a good turnout, and given their attacking style it would be useful experience.

From my understanding you had the offer lodged and ready to go in January only for us to talk Chamberlain out of a move and turn you down , but it may just be different stories from each club.

I'm pretty sure if we sold him to you he wouldn't return to league 1 level on loan as yup say and can't see him going to any other championship side as were hardly going to want to sell him without at least the guarantee he won't play against us next term , well I would hope :o

From my understanding you had the offer lodged and ready to go in January only for us to talk Chamberlain out of a move and turn you down ' date=' but it may just be different stories from each club.

I'm pretty sure if we sold him to you he wouldn't return to league 1 level on loan as yup say and can't see him going to any other championship side as were hardly going to want to sell him without at least the guarantee he won't play against us next term , well I would hope :o[/quote']

To be perfectly honest; I think that although he is immensely talented, he may be best to either stay at the Saints or move to a team that will plonk him in the starting XI or ensure that he'll get a lot of minutes on the pitch. Because at his age a season in the Championship with Southampton would do him a world of good.

It'll do no end of good to him in comparison with having him stuck on the Emirates/Old Trafford bench playing in the Carling Cup or getting the odd fifteen minute run in. Southampton can afford to play him as much as he's fit to play; and that for me is a lot more important for his development right now than getting short bursts at premier League level. Sure; he could play in the reserves league and partake in First Team training, but it's unfair to take the lad out of his comfort zone at such a tender age.

There are far too many talents-gone-astray that prove that a move to a big name team's bench can seriously stunt a player's development.

If he does go to Arsenal, I'd like to think that we do the right thing for him, which mightn't necessarily mean that he's at the Emirates for his first season.

To be perfectly honest; I think that although he is immensely talented' date=' he may be best to either stay at the Saints or move to a team that will plonk him in the starting XI or ensure that he'll get a lot of minutes on the pitch. Because at his age a season in the Championship with Southampton would do him a world of good.

It'll do no end of good to him in comparison with having him stuck on the Emirates/Old Trafford bench playing in the Carling Cup or getting the odd fifteen minute run in. Southampton can afford to play him as much as he's fit to play; and that for me is a lot more important for his development right now than getting short bursts at premier League level. Sure; he could play in the reserves league and partake in First Team training, but it's unfair to take the lad out of his comfort zone at such a tender age.

There are far too many talents-gone-astray that prove that a move to a big name team's bench can seriously stunt a player's development.

If he does go to Arsenal, I'd like to think that we do the right thing for him, which mightn't necessarily mean that he's at the Emirates for his first season.[/quote']

I fully agree with you there , he's a great young footballer , one of e best in the country but at the moment he needs to keep playing in a team and under a manager he knows and where the fans already have attachment to him :)

Still not confident however but as long as we hold on to Lallana I'm happy , if anything it might give two young centre mids who are rated extremely highly and one who would be on your books now had it not of been for distance from home to break through :) he's already on a 2 year scholar , 5 year deal which is pretty much unheard of at youth level (even chamberlain didn't get that!)

There's a difference between sending them out to get match practice and signing them up before they get too accustomed to lower level practice. If Alex stays at Southampton for another season he will be 1 year behind in his skills development. The coaching staff at Arsenal are better and can turn him into a more skilled individual. He will then go out on loan to build up his knowledge and footballing IQ.

Also note that the teams they loan the players too are usually passing sides with a chance of winning more than they lose. They want to get the right mentality into their players (well' date=' the ones they really believe stand a chance of being a success). The others are sent out to get their name out there to be sold. [b']Alex is at the age where he NEEDS to start being coached the passing style of football Arsenal play.[/b]back.

you do realise southampton have one of the best acadamys in the country and in all fairness he isint going to get any worse by playing at championship level his knowledge of the game will only impove by playing at that level either for southampton or another championship club.

The second point i've bolded there have you watched southampton play ? , ive been about 5 times this season with ashh and some mates and ive got to say ive been very impressed with the style southampton play they do play alot of quick passing football and aim to retain possesion much like arsenal and they are a team which normally attempts long shots which Chambo has been scoreing quite a few latley.

Im not having a go i just think its a bit crazy to think that playing week in week out at championship level is worse than sitting on the bench watching the game. as many have said its likely he will leave this summer but if he does i think Arsenal must loan him out to a team at least championship level , lower premiership if they can as he seems like the kind of player to want to keep improving and proveing himself at higher levels it would be quite likley to see him fall in confidence and not reach his full potential if he does end up sitting on the bench consistantly.

you do realise southampton have one of the best acadamys in the country and in all fairness he isint going to get any worse by playing at championship level his knowledge of the game will only impove by playing at that level either for southampton or another championship club.

The second point i've bolded there have you watched southampton play ? ' date=' ive been about 5 times this season with ashh and some mates and ive got to say ive been very impressed with the style southampton play they do play alot of quick passing football and aim to retain possesion much like arsenal and they are a team which normally attempts long shots which Chambo has been scoreing quite a few latley.

Im not having a go i just think its a bit crazy to think that playing week in week out at championship level is worse than sitting on the bench watching the game. as many have said its likely he will leave this summer but if he does i think Arsenal must loan him out to a team at least championship level , lower premiership if they can as he seems like the kind of player to want to keep improving and proveing himself at higher levels it would be quite likley to see him fall in confidence and not reach his full potential if he does end up sitting on the bench consistantly.[/quote']

I'm not doubting the Southampton academy at all, it is one of the best outside the Premier League. It's not about becoming a worse player so to speak though. It's about habits and learning a Premiership style of play at Arsenal. As I said in my post I would expect him to be schooled the Arsenal way with their academy and coaches for a few months to learn the specific skill sets needed, and THEN he will go out to get match practice at the highest level he is suited for. I'd expect them to look first for a Premier League suitor but if not a passing team in the Championship.

Now, this could well be sending him to back to Southampton, IF they maintain their current style of play in a tougher Championship league. The cut-throat nature of football means Arsenal would not like to risk letting him stay out there until they are certain it's the right style of play.

Notice how with Conor Thomas they were more than happy to have him training with Coventry City's academy because like Southampton they work to a very high standard, but the second he pushed close to the first team with what was at the time a hoofball style of play they took him off our hands.

I'm not for one second saying the top teams don't like loaning out players to the Championship, because we all know it's vital for the growth, but only if they are out there playing a certain way aware of what they need to be learning whilst out on the pitch. This is what Alex would learn in his few months with the Arsenal coaches before coming out on loan.

Arsenal must be unsure of Southampton's ability to play the passing football they have been playing in League 1 now they have been promoted, and want to move now to make sure he gets the best possible knowledge and training and get his loan experience at the perfect team, which they should know of by January.

and the likes of Nathan Dyer will ensure your playing the likes of Peterborough the season after. :D

Only playing Aiden.

I'm not going to bother argueing in this one.

But why are you comparing him to Park' date=' he doesn't play like Park in any way, shape or form. Without Nathan Dyer, we'd be playing Peterborough next season, that's all i'm going to say.[/quote']

Here we go pick on the small clubs, so called big championship clubs mentality!

Eurghhhhh uses an image to clarify they are in the Old First Division. :o

Thats chunderable.

In other news....

40 seconds in. Frankie Fielding with a beasty save!

EDIT: And Commons was the best player in the Championship until he left. Way better than Snodgrass.