Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Burnley `proved last year you dont need a big squad to get success. Over 60 games with only 23 players speaks for itself. Anyway im starting to get a bit worried at our camp' date=' only lost Downing and until Mido, Tuncay, O´Neil and co are gone Southgate has said we can´t bring players in. The worry is that we start the season with these players but come 28th/29th of August theres a fire sale and they leave which means we have no time to get in replacements. Unlike Newcastle I think us and West Brom can keep the majority of our teams which can help us. I think they reported yearly wage bill at Newcastle was something like 20 million? Can´t remember really but Im sure it was about that. Theres probably about 12 teams in the CCC looking for promotion so its not as if its clear cut we´re going back up scenario.[/quote']

Very true, but they must have suffered very little in the way of injuries and we have so many players who seem to get injured often and for long periods of time (e.g. Jeffers, Sodje, Johnson). I'm just not confident we will be able to keep a relatively healthy squad for the whole season, which is what we would need if we were to have a chance of promotion. I'm pretty sure we'll be finishing in the 10th-13th area once more, which isn't something I'm displeased about.

As for Middlesbrough, like you say, I think you have much more to be optimistic about that Newcastle fans. Mido's already on his way (a bid accepted from an unnamed club in the last day or two) and I reckon it's only a matter of time before Tuncay goes. I know it's wishful thinking, but if you could keep O'Neil, he would be a fantastic Championship player. Either way, I don't think you shall have to make too many signings, as you have a lot of good youth players at Middlesbrough (somebody's doing a brilliant job with your academy, by the way). If you could just add 2-3 more players to add a bit more depth and competition for places, then I reckon you will have a squad capable of challenging for the play-offs at least. I just don't know if your fans will be happy with that though?

The mess never goes away. Even if we get rid of them all Ashley is going to leave Hughton in charge. The odds on Newcastle being relegated will be really high (100/1 or something) but in reality I think we are one of the favourites.

Really?! That's worth a cheeky tenner! ;):D:p:eek:

ANYONE! Its so desperate at the moment I would take anyone with Championship experience. Ideally I would like Shearer but its looking less likely by the day. Someone like Alan Curbishley would be nice.

Curbishley would be a great shout for you right now. You really need someone of his ability' date=' stature and experience to come in, be given a few years to rebuild the club and restoring the side as a decent EPL outfit. Ideally, although I seriously doubt this will happen, such is the amount of i'll-thinking at Newcastle and football in general, Shearer should be given the chance to learn the ropes under someone like Curbishley. I thought it was a bad move to plunge him in at the deep end last season and I think it would be a bad move to do the same thing again this year. Arguably, it would be a tougher test this season than it was to try and keep you up last season.

Also, if I was the incoming chariman at St. James' Park, I would be giving Steve Coppell a ring. I think it would be a longshot, as I doubt he will carry on managing for many years to come and I reckon he just wants a break right now, but he'd be an ideal appointment. Newcastle could be his one last hurrah in football management.

What about Ian Dowie? I know he was Shearer assistant last season. If Southgate isn´t in a player place by xmas hes gone and you can have him xD.

Not sure about Dowie. I rated him highly when he first came on the management scene, but he has disappointed on many an occasion since, although it could be argued that he's been given little chance in some instances. He did great at a lower-league club (I forget; was it Oldham?) and then brilliantly at Palace, of course, but he's just flattered to deceive since then. I think he's still capable, but I'd be looking elsewhere before turning to Dowie.

I think the majority of our fans know the important thing is keeping players rather than signing them. We need a LB and another striker regardless, hopefully we get them. SG has finnally addressed our right wing area with Yeates and IMO our most important player next season will be Digard. He seems a bit injury prone but if we can keep him fit he will be a hell of a player. He only made 23 apps for us last season (15 starts) and to be honest he was one of our only players who impressed. Im still not convinced by O´Neil, he has a work rate but he seems a shadow of the player at Portsmouth.

Apologies for the lateness of this edition of the week's roundup of transfer acitvity. All the following are deals that have been completed between 19th-26th July. Plenty to get through this week, so I better get cracking!

Official Transfers

Kari Arnason [AGF Aarhus - Plymouth; Free]

Plymouth's latest acquisition is an Icelandic international midfielder, who describes himself as the classic box-to-box midfield man. Argyle fans will be hoping that he can can form an impressive partnership in the middle of midfield with fellow newcomer, Carl Fletcher. Paul Sturrock snapped him up following an imprresive spell on trial with the Pilgrims.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chris Gunter [Tottenham - Nottingham Forest; £1.75m]

Chris Gunter makes a rather shock transfer to a club who have more money than they let on. As you will see further down this list, Gunter was the first of many new arrivals during the past week. The only question is, since when did Forest start receiving rupees out of their rectum, for want of a better phrase? Nevertheless, Billy Davies has pulled off a massive coup by bringing the Welshman to the club and he is sure to be a tremendous asset over the course of the season.

Jordi Lopez [QPR- Swansea; Free]

New Swansea boss, Paulo Sousa goes back to his former club to snatch one of the few players he brought with him to Loftus Road in his short spell with the club. Lopez joins on a two-year deal and seems the obvious replacement for Jordi Gomez who has decided to follow Roberto Martinez to Wigan, instead of making his loan move to Swansea permanent. Lopez will do well to achieve half of what Gomez achieved last season, and he has big boots to fill.

Paul McKenna [Preston - Nottingham Forest; £750,000]

McKenna joined Forest on the same day as Gunter as the Reds shelled out £2.5m in a single day - something that most CCC clubs don't do in a single year, if not longer. Boss Billy Davies has been after the industrious midfielder all summer, having three previous bids rejected. The Lilywhites finally caved to Forest's demands and McKenna signed on in a three-year deal after playing over 450 games for PNE.

Krystian Pearce [birmingham - Peterborough; Season-Long Loan]

Young central defender Krystian Pearce adds some speed and power to the Posh backline as they prepare for their return to the second tier. Pearce joins for the whole year and fulfills a need after Darren Ferguson let go Chris Westwood at the end of last season. The deal is said to be the last of the summer for Peterborough, although we all know what happened last time a Ferguson said that!

David Preece [OB - Barnsley; Free]

Veteran 'keeper David Preece provides cover for the Tykes after the sale of Heinz Muller. The ex-Sunderland man will be back-up to the current number one, Luke Steele, and has signed a one-year deal with the option for a second.

Jason Euell [southampton - Blackpool; Free]

Jason Euell becomes the latest Southampton reject to find a new club as he moves north to sunny Blackpool. The Seasiders will be getting a hell of a lot of experience from the ex-Crazy Gang member, although some may doubt his ability to still perform. Euell's always had talent, but has struggled to find his from in recent years at Southampton, and before that, Charlton.

Dan Harding [ipswich - Southampton; Free]

New Southampton manager brings in Dan Harding after the 25-year-old was released by Ipswich in May. Harding should prove to be a decent player, especially at League One player. For one reason or another, he fell out of favour at Ipswich despite a promising start to his career, and he spent time on loan at Reading last term.

James Scowcroft [Crystal Palace - Leyton Orient; Free]

James Scowcroft, the classic target man of yesteryear, leaves Palace after netting 14 times in 83 appearances for the Eagles. Scowcroft, who once cost Leicester City £3m eight years ago, was released at the end of last season, and has dropped down a division to join up with League One outfit, Leyton Orient.

Dexter Blackstock [QPR - Nottingham Forest; Undisclosed]

Thought Forest's spending was over? Think again. QPR striker Dexter Blackstock joins for an undisclosed fee after an impressive loan spell late on last season. Blackstock faces a huge competition for his place, however, with five fellow strikers vying for a spot in the team, including his ex-Southampton youth teammate and fellow new signing, David McGoldrick.

Joel Lynch [brighton - Nottingham Forest; £200,000]

Yep, that's right - Billy Davies aint finished yet. Joel Lynch, a young full-back, joins after spending a lot of last season on loan at the City Ground. Lynch played 23 times last term for the Reds and did enough to suggest to Davies that he's worth acquiring on a full-time basis. Forest youngster, Matt Thornhill, moves in the opposite direction on loan as part of the deal.

Patrick Kisnorbo [Leicester - Leeds; Free]

Leed United make a good signing in 28-year-old defender, Patrick Kisnorbo. After his former side, Leicester City sealed promotion last term, the Foxes decided not to take the Australian international with them to the Championship. However, Kisnorbo has landed on his feet and should be again competing in a side challenging for the League One title.

Kyle Naughton & Kyle Walker [sheffield United - Tottenham; Undisclosed]

Possibly the biggest CCC transfer of the summer so far as Spurs splash out a reported £10m on the highly-rated duo of Sheffield United, Kyle's Walker and Naughton. Several EPL clubs have been chasing Naughton in particular this off-season, after the young full-back impressed during his first, full senior campaign. Naughton is rated more by the London outfit, and will stay at the club to fight for a spot in the side, although he will find it tough with the amount of competition for places. Walker, also a defender and highly-rated too, will return to United on loan for the following season as part of the deal so he can get some experience. The Blades will be glad of this, as Walker can act as a natural replacement for Naughton. However, with the great riches following the Carlos Tevez affair, some Unitedits may be wondering why they had to seel two of their prized, young assets.

Radoslaw Majewski [Groclin - Nottingham Forest; Season-Long Loan]

Right, this really is Forest's final dealing of the week. Polish midfielder Radoslaw Majewski adds even more competition to the already large Forest squad as he arrives on a year-long loan deal. At 22, he is highly regarded in Poland and already has five full caps to his name. Last season, Blackburn and West Brom were linked with his signature.

Adel Taarabt [Tottenham - QPR; Season-Long Loan]

Highly-rated 20-year-old, Adel Taarabt joings moneybags QPR on a one-year loan deal after spending seven games with the London outfit at the backend of last year. The Moroccan international arrived at Spurs with a good reputation but he has flattered to decieve since his introduction to English football, although he chances have been limited. A season at a CCC club with potential could be what he needs to kick-start his career.

Sammy Clingan [Norwich - Coventry; Undisclosed]

Coventry finally get off the mark with their first signing of the summer in midfielder, Sammy Clingan. This comes just two weeks after the deal had all but fallen through thanks to criticism of the player's agent from manager Chris Coleman. However, Clingan, wanted by a host of other CCC clubs, adds to an already nice looking Sky Blue midfield.

Danny Fox [Coventry City - Celtic; Undisclosed]

Coventry's positive addition was barely noticed though, thanks to the sale of young and promising full-back Danny Fox to Scottish giants, Celtic. Fox had built himself a sterling reputation over the last couple of years as one of the best Championship left-backs and was even named in the PFA team of the season last term. Coventry fans will be dismayed by this sale and will be worried about the state of their back four now, after the departure of Scott Dann as well.

Colin Healy [Cork City - Ipswich; Undisclosed]

Ipswich manager Roy Keane goes back to his roots to sign fellow Irishman, Colin Healy. The midfielder, capped 13 times by Eire, joins from Irish side Cork City in an undisclosed deal. Healy turned down League One side Hartlepool in favour of joining up with the Tractor Boys.

Simon Whaley [Preston - Norwich; Undisclosed]

Once a very promising young winger, Simon Whaley completes a disappointing year by dropping out of the division to join recently relegated Norwich City. Whaley lost his place for much of last season and rarely featured for the Lilywhites as he was shipped out on loan to Barnsley at the end of the campaign. Once Nowich agreed a fee for the winger, Whaley was quick to finalise the move to allow him a fresh start.

Rhoys Wiggins [Crystal Palace - Norwich; Undisclosed]

Young Palace defender Rhoys Wiggins follows Whaley to Carrow Road after failing to force his way into the starting XI at Selhurst Park. Wiggins found himself amongst a lot of young, promising talent with the Eagles and was eventually forced out. At Norwich, he will be hoping to fight for first-team football for the first team in his career.

Kyle naughton and kyle walker definate future england righ and left back. great signing for tottenham

Definately great talents, both of them. Naughton's got huge potential, and, although I know Walker's very good too, I haven't seen as much of him. I really think they should have moved to Villa or Everton though, as I reckon they would have got more of a look in there than at White Hart Lane.

Newcastle accept 9mil bid from German Giants VFL Wolfsburg for Obafemi.Martins -

i can only think of Andy.Carrol as the striker left ?

They still have Shola Ameobi, plus they have a youngster called Nile Ranger coming through who's been playing well for the England Under-19's, so I reckon we might see a bit of him this season. But yes, Newcastle will have to bring another forward in, but before they can do that, they need to sell the club and get a manager. Things don't look too pretty.

Definately great talents' date=' both of them. Naughton's got huge potential, and, although I know Walker's very good too, I haven't seen as much of him. I really think they should have moved to Villa or Everton though, as I reckon they would have got more of a look in there than at White Hart Lane.[/quote']

Yeah possibly or even arsenal i think with clichey not playing for sumtime out injured i think it may give other LBs a chance. Plus u no how wenger likes hes young uns.

By the way great thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 07/08/09 - Kick-Off: 20:00

Venue: The Riverside Stadium - Attendance: 23,541

Middlesbrough

vs

Sheffield United

50_1201894192.gif191_front_small.gif

Coyne

McMahon - Wheater - Huth - Grounds

Yeates - Digard - Williams - Johnson

Emnes - Aliadiere

------------------------------------

Henderson

Treacy - Quinn - Howard - Montgomery - France

Taylor - Kilgallon - Morgan - Walker

Bunn

70_1202930968.gif1_front_small.gif

First Half

The first half of the new Championship season was quite an entertaining affair, with both sides showing what they have to offer for the upcoming season. While both sides carved up numerous openings, it was United who created the best chances. Early on, United pressured Middlesbrough with Danny Coyne being forced into a good save after Keith Tracey's volley somehow found it's way through a crowd of players, while Chris Morgan was causing problems in the air from set-pieces. Mark Bunn, on loan from Blackburn, twice had be quick off his line after poor communication with Morgan and a weak backpass from Kyle Walker. He was also forced into a smart stop to tip Mark Yeates' long-range effort around the post, although this ended up being one of very few saves Bunn would make all night. Darius Henderson did brilliantly to bring down a long ball and hold off the challenge from a 'Boro defender, feeding in Stephen Quinn who sent a left-footed drive towards goal, only for Coyne to again be equal to it. But it was a fairly even game, with Yeates and Adam Johnson impressing for Middlesbrough, but struggling to get around a packed Blades midfield. Both defences kept firm up until the half-time whistle.

Second Half

The first 20 minutes of the second half continued in the same vein that the first ended. Both sides were willing to have a go and it was rather end-to-end for a while. However, neither side were really able to test their opponents 'keeper and most efforts on goal were long-range shots that remained largely off-targer. Middlesbrough had a claim for a penalty, although, upon closer inspection, refereee Lee Mason was right to wave play-on after seeing Walker just get a toe on the ball before sending Johnson tumbling. The two Middlesbrough wingers remained the brightest sparks in the home side's offense, but they posed little threat up top. In central midfield, Sheffield United had the advantage as they played five across the middle, with Nick Montgomery often breaking up the play to great effect. But it was the defences who were the winners in this game as all four of Morgan, Matt Kilgallon, Robert Huth and David Wheater put in tremendous shifts to deny any clear-cut opportunities for the entire 45 minutes. After such a promising and lively opening, this game ended up being a bit of a damp squib.

Man of the Match

Matt Kilgallon - the tall centre-half was in fine form on Friday evening, not giving Jeremie Aliadiere or Marvin Emnes a sniff of goal all evening. Kilgallon, a classy centre-back in the mould of Rio Ferdinand, was more than a match for anything Middlesbrough could throw at him, whether it be in the air or along the ground. The watching Martin O'Neill will have been impressed, maybe even enough to try to prize him away from Bramall Lane.

Other Impressive Performers

As already pointed out, both defences should win the plaudits for resolute displays. All four centre-backs in particular stood out and allowed little to get past them all night. For Middlesbrough, Johnson and Yeates were the only ones who really looked like they were able to create a spark, although they had little to aim at ahead of them. Danny Coyne in net also had a good debut and didn't put a foot wrong all evening. For United, the three central midfielders of Quinn, Montgomery and Brian Howard all worked hard and outfought the challenge of Rhys Williams and Didier Digard/Gary O'Neil in the centre of the park.

Least Impressive Performers

Apart from a good volley early on, Keith Treacy had little effect on the game whatsoever, as was the case for his fellow wingman, Ryan France. Both were making debuts for the Blades and struggles to make any sort of impact on the game. Meanwhile, Marvin Emnes and Jeremie Aliadiere posed little-to-no threat to the United backline and made things a bit too comfortable for them. Emnes seemed to be wanting a bit more time on the ball, while Aliadiere may find himself outmuscled at this very physical level.

Notable Low-Rated Performers

Middlesbrough:

Rhys Williams (77, 21, RB/CB [played CM today]) - 90mins

Danny Coyne (79, 35, GK) - 90mins, clean sheet

Sheffield United:

Kyle Walker (75, 19, RB/CB) - 90mins, clean sheet

Mark Bunn (77, 24, GK) - 90mins, clean sheet

Andy Taylor (78, 23, LB) - 90mins, clean sheet

Ryan France (78, 28, RM) - 90mins

Date: 08/08/09 - Kick-Off: 15:00

Venue: Hillsborough - Attendance: 30,644

Sheffield Wednesday

vs

Barnsley

71_1205587003.gif252_front_small.gif

Grant

Buxton - Purse - Wood - Spurr

Johnson - O'Connor - Potter - Gray

Jeffers - Tudgay

--------------------------------

Odejayi - Macken

Campbell-Ryce - Butterfield - De Silva - Devaney

Kozluk - Foster - Moore - Hassell

Steele

3_1196909593.gif10_front_small.gif

First Half

It was Wednesday who were fastest out of the blocks and, after an even opening few minutes, James O'Connor was the first to test the Barnsley goal, with Luke Steele making a great save to deny the midfielder's rasping half-volley. However, Steele could do little to prevent Wednesday from taking a ninth-minute lead just moments later. A long, hopeful punt forward ended up being a tricky ball for Barnsley full-back, Rob Kozluk, to deal with. Even so, his tame header was poor and it enabled Michael Gray to swing in a terrific cross with his weaker right foot for Jermaine Johnson to volley home. Steele got a hand to it, but Johnson had enough purchase on the shot to give Wednesday an early advantage. After that, Wednesday proceeded to play some marvellous, one-touch football, which Barnsley simply could not cope with. Chants of "it's just like watching Brazil!", were even heard emanating from the Hillsborough faithful. And five minutes before half-time, Wednesday's pressure told as Tommy Spurr's long throw was flicked on by Marcus Tudgay for Gray to bravely head into the bottom corner. The wideman took a blow to the face for his troubles, but had his first goal in blue and white stripes as his reward - just desserts for his excellent first-half showing. As much as Wednesday were impressive, Barnsley were rather dismal. They showed little in the way of footballing skill and resorted to the long-ball game to the powerhouse that is Kayode Odejayi up front. Nevertheless, the Tykes remained a threat from set pieces and Lee Grant had to come to the Owls rescue on three occasions after some sloppy defending. In fact, Brazilian Anderson De Sila really should have equalised when the score was 1-0, but his free header from six yards out somehow, inexplicably missed the target. Overall, however, Wednesday deserved their half-time lead and Wednesdayites around the stadium were relishing the second half.

Second Half

Never has the saying, "a game of two halves", been more appropriate for a football game. Simon Davey, rightfully must have given his side a rollocking, while the Wednesday players were still in the dressing room for the majority of the second period, thinking the game was already won. Barnsley simply outfought and outmuscled the Owls in the second half as Wednesday fell apart and the fabulous football from the first half seemed like a distant memory. The basis of Barnsley's game was to direct long-balls up towards Odejayi, who would in turn flick the ball on to John Macken. While Richard Wood and Darren Purse dealt with this comfortably in the first half, they were in complete disarray after the break as Odejayi destroyed the pair of them. With Barnsley well on top and threatening, in was no surprise when Jacob Butterfield gave his side a lifeline in only his second ever start for the club. A cross from the right was poorly dealt with as Lewis Buxton missed his header, and Butterfield took full advantage by powering home a first-time shot past Grant in front of the thousands of Barnsley fans that had made the short trip to Hillsborough. Barnsley remained in the ascendency and got their equaliser around fifteen minutes later as a long ball forward was flicked on by Odejayi. Wood, who had charged forward to meet the ball in vain, was out of position and, with Purse not covering, Macken was through on goal to net the equaliser. Such was Barnsley's superiority, that it wasn't undeserved and they now had the bit between their teeth to get the winner. However, Wednesday held firm and could have got a winner themselves. Their one and only decent passing move of the second period ended with a good strike on goal from Darren Potter, but Steele was equal to it. In the end, the referee called an end to a pulsating local derby, and a draw was probably a fair result, although both sides may feel like they could, and should, have won it.

Man of the Match

Michael Gray - he may be 35-years of age, but you would never realise it of the former-Sunderland man. He was the most energetic man on the pitch and had a hand in both goals. His cross for the first was superb, while his own goal was a combination of terrific bravery and sharp awareness. Gray never stopped running in that first half and was a focal point in the majority of Wednesday's attacks. He may have faded slightly after half-time, although he wasn't the only one, and he continued to work hard right until the final whistle.

While they were rather ineffective in the first half, Odejayi and Macken worked well together after the break and terrorised the Wednesday backline for the entire second period. Wood and Purse simply could not get to grips with them and they were key to the Barnsley comeback. Meanwhile, Lee Grant made several key saves to keep Wednesday in the lead and in the match. Other than that, most players were restricted to good 45 minutes, such was the nature of the game.

Although he is normally a great threat and often a thorn in Wednesday's side, Jamal Campbell-Ryce had a very quiet game and got little out of Lewis Buxton for the whole 90 minutes. Campbell-Ryce is often the main man in Barnsley's attacks, but, on this occasion, he never really shone like he is capable of. Meanwhile, for Wednesday, Richard Wood had a torrid time at the back. Odejayi was all over him like a rash for the second half and by not keeping him under control, it allowed Barnsley a way back into the match. I just wonder why Brian Laws didn't have Darren Purse marking Odejayi to leave the quicker Wood to mark Macken.

Sheffield Wednesday:

Francis Jeffers (79, 28, CF) - 71 mins

Barnsley:

Jacob Butterfield (70, 19, CM) - 90 mins, 1 goal

Daniel Bogdanovic (78, 29, Fwd/Wing) - subbed on 75 mins

Date: 09/08/09 - Kick-Off: 12:45

Venue: Ricoh Arena - Attendance: 16,279

Coventry City

vs

Ipswich Town

25_1217871592.jpg306_front_small.gif

Westwood

Osbourne - Turner - Wright - Van Aaanholt

Bell - Gunnarsson - Clingan - McIndoe

Morrison - Best

-----------------------------------------

Stead

Peters - Martin - Walters

Trotter - Norris

Delaney - McAuley - Balkestein - Bruce

Wright

38_1193803499.gif117_front_small.gif

First Half

Ipswich exploded out of the blocks early on and were unlucky not to net a goal as early as the opening few minutes. Ben Turner had to be well aware to poke the ball away from Jonathan Walters as he approached to shoot in a dangerous position and the resulting corner also almost ended in a goal with Gareth McAuley proving a handful. However, Coventry whethered the storm and were soon on the offensive themselves. They took the lead on around the ten minute mark as a long punt forward by Keiran Westwood was poorly dealt with by the Ipswich defence. McAuley inexplicably ducked when he should have come to meet the ball and Clinton Morrison all of sudden had Richard Wright bearing down on him. Instictively, Morrison turned away from Wright, swivelled and produced a fantastic lob over the 'keeper and two retreating Ipswich defenders. A truly brilliant finish. Just over ten minutes later, Morrison doubled Coventry's advantage by again getting ahead of McAuley to send a terrific header past Wright at the near post thanks to a good ball in by Isaac Osbourne. However, Ipswich hit back immediately when the Coventry defence got themselves into a hell of a mess. Stephen Wright and Turner were too far across the pitch, and young full-back Patrick Van Aanholt completely lost track of his man as Walters burst through on to Jaime Peters good through ball. The experienced frontman, playing on the right-hand side of midfield today, didn't disappoint. While Coventry were in the ascendency for much of the half, playing some good football to boot, Ipswich's reply steadied a frantic first half as half-time approached.

Second Half

Despite an early good run, but tame finish by Aron Gunnarson, it was Ipswich again who were fastest out of the changing rooms with Peters involved on three occasions. First, he volleyed wide of Westwood's left-hand post via a deflection and soon after, he had a clearer sight of the Coventry 'keeper, although the Irishman produced a good, instinctive save. Peters had a third prod at goal which Liam Trotter narrowly missed making contact with. Ipswich were constantly dangerous from set pieces with Pim Balkestein, Walters and McAuley proving a constant nuisance. Balkestein really should have done better from a Lee Martin corner where he had a free header, but missed the target, while Walters twice went close; once with an audacious long-range shot that just drifted wide and secondly with a looping header which Westwood again did brilliantly to tip over the bar. Coventry were under the cosh for much of the second half and even Morrison was back clearing off his own line as Balkestein again went close. However, as the game's end approached Coventry eased home with Clingan almost adding a thord with a long-range effort. Despite all their effort, Ipswich went home with nothing, when perhaps they deserved a point.

Man of the Match

Clinton Morrison - had little effect for most of the match, and if you only watched the last hour, then you would probably disagree with me. But Morrison had just two chances to score all game, and he did just that on both occasions. They weren't easy chances either. With Wright and his fellow Ipswich defenders retreating to base, Morrison could only afford to aim for the top right-hand corner of the goal, and he did just that. For his second, his technique on the header was impeccable. It was a relatively low cross from Osbourne and Morrison had to dive to meet it, arching his neck terrifically to get the sufficient power to beat Wright, while the placement was superb also. Two magical moments which won the game for the Sky Blues.

While Morrison's goals were vital, it took a terrific defensive display to keep out Ipswich. Ben Turner, in particular, shined despite Ipswich's dominance from set pieces while Westwood made a few key saves to keep the game at 2-1. A worthy mention should go to Van Aanholt who put in a promising display in his league debut. He looked very useful going forward and, while he wasn't perfect defensively, he did well considering his recent arrival and the fact that he had to mark Ipswch's best player. Walters took his goal with aplomb and was a constant menace in the air and on the ground. Liam Trotter had some decent moments which lead me to believe he's a good talent, while Sammy Clingan had a good debut in central midfield.

Gareth McAuley had a difficult day and was arguably at fault for both goals. The first was inexcusable while he let Morrison get ahead of him at the near post for the second goal. Meanwhile, despite being at the hub of some of the action, particularly early on in the first half, most of the game bypassed Jaime Peters, as it did for David Norris. He was outfought in the midfield battle by Clingan and Gunnarsson before departing through injury. David Bell also had a quiet game for the home side and he too was substituted.

Coventry City:

Patrick Van Aanholt (NOT ON DB, 18, LB) - 90 mins

Jordan Clarke (NOT ON DB, 17, RB) - subbed on 62 mins

Ipswich Town:

Liam Trotter (75, 20, CM) - 90 mins

Jaime Peters (75, 22, Wing) - 66 mins

Connor Wickham (NOT ON DB, 16, Fwd) - subbed on 66 mins

i think newcastle will do well this season without being biased. if they keep them players and get mike ashley out' date='we can get a new manager, bring in sum signings and become a tough outfit.[/quote']

On paper, Newcastle could put a good team out this season. However, they need to get themselves sorted out off the pitch before they can really progress on the pitch. Until the club is sold, they can't really sell too many players as it's not really down to the current ownership, and the likes of Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Barton simply must go. But if they can keep players like Nolan, Butt, Taylor and Duff who would be very good at this level and willing to muck in and aid the cause, then they could have a good side. Add in a few signings and you could be up near the top, but the real question remains: can you really sell the club, appoint a new manager, get rid of the riff-raff and sign some suitable replacements before the transfer window shuts? I highly doubt it, and that's why I think Newcastle will be in a mess this year.

Also, while the result at West Brom was good and encouraging, I fear that they will find it more difficult when visiting the smaller sides, despite West Brom being probably the best team in the league. Most teams will be looking forward to Newcastle more than any other and having to put up with vociferous crowds and pumped-up players may be something that the likes of Coloccini and Gutierrez are not used to.

On paper' date=' Newcastle could put a good team out this season. However, they need to get themselves sorted out off the pitch before they can really progress on the pitch. Until the club is sold, they can't really sell too many players as it's not really down to the current ownership, and the likes of Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Barton simply must go. But if they can keep players like Nolan, Butt, Taylor and Duff who would be very good at this level and willing to muck in and aid the cause, then they could have a good side. Add in a few signings and you could be up near the top, but the real question remains: can you really sell the club, appoint a new manager, get rid of the riff-raff and sign some suitable replacements before the transfer window shuts? I highly doubt it, and that's why I think Newcastle will be in a mess this year.

Also, while the result at West Brom was good and encouraging, I fear that they will find it more difficult when visiting the smaller sides, despite West Brom being probably the best team in the league. Most teams will be looking forward to Newcastle more than any other and having to put up with vociferous crowds and pumped-up players may be something that the likes of Coloccini and Gutierrez are not used to.[/quote']

agree in sum respects i think they do well anyway but need to get rid of collicini asap he is awful no positional sense messes around at the back and to put it as simple as this is diabodicle(spelling)

Barton would be worth keeping. He is a very good player because he can do passes the rest of our midfield wouldn't even think about. I hope he starts against Reading on Saturday.

yes i think 5 in midfield wud be gud nolan, smith, barton, guttierrez and duff. i also think we shud try tamas kadar for collicini because he is rubbish my granma has better positional sense then him.

yes i think 5 in midfield wud be gud nolan' date=' smith, barton, guttierrez and duff. i also think we shud try tamas kadar for collicini because he is rubbish my granma has better positional sense then him.[/quote']

Sol Campbell is still available on a free. If anyone at the club had any sense they would sign him up...

Derby County F.C.

103_front_small.gif29_1199919859.gif6_front_small.gif

Last Season: 18th

Manager: Nigel Clough

Captain: Paul Connolly

Key Player: Kris Commons

Rising Star: Miles Addison

Big Addition: Lee Croft

Big Loss: Liam Dickinson

Transfers in: Shaun Barker (Blackpool - £1m)' date=' Jake Buxton (Burton – Undisclosed), Dean Moxey (Exeter – Undisclosed), Ben Pringle (Ilkeston - Undisclosed), Lee Croft (Norwich City – Free)

Transfers out: Tyrone Mears (Burnley – Undisclosed), Emmanuel Villa (Cruz Azul – Undisclosed), Liam Dickinson (Brighton – Undisclosed), Andy Todd (Perth - Free), Mile Sterjovski (Perth – Free), Lewis Price (Brentford – Season-Long Loan), Paris Simmons (Released)

2009/10 Prediction: Mid-Table Anonymity

Fixture/Results:

08/08/09 – Peterborough United (H) - W 2-1

15/08/09 – Shorpe United (A)

18/08/09 – Blackpool(A)

22/08/09 – Plymouth Argyle (H)

29/08/09 – Nottingham Forest (A)

12/09/09 – Sheffield United (H)

15/09/09 – Barnsley (H)

19/09/09 – Crystal Palace (A)

26/09/09 – Bristol City (H)

29/09/09 – Cardiff City (A)

03/10/09 – Sheffield Wednesday (H)

17/10/09 – Leicester City (A)

20/10/09 – Middlesbrough (A)

24/10/09 – Queens Park Rangers (H)

31/10/09 – Ipswich Town (A)

06/11/09 – Coventry City (H)

20/11/09 – Swansea City (A)

28/11/09 – Reading (H)

05/12/09 – West Bromich Albion (H)

08/12/09 – Preston North End (A)

12/12/09 – Watford (A)

19/12/09 – Doncaster Rovers (H)

26/12/09 – Blackpool (H)

28/12/09 – Newcastle United (A)

09/01/10 – Shorpe United (H)

16/01/10 – Peterborough United (A)

26/01/10 – Plymouth Argyle (A)

30/01/10 – Nottingham Forest (H)

06/02/10 – Sheffield United (A)

09/02/10 – Newcastle United (H)

13/02/10 – Reading (A)

16/02/10 – Preston North End (H)

20/02/10 – Swansea City (H)

27/02/10 – West Bromich Albion (A)

06/03/10 – Watford (H)

13/03/10 – Doncaster Rovers (A)

16/03/10 – Middlesbrough (H)

20/03/10 – Sheffield Wednesday (A)

23/03/10 – Queens Park Rangers (A)

27/03/10 – Leicester City (H)

03/04/10 – Coventry City (A)

05/04/10 – Ipswich Town (H)

10/04/10 – Barnsley (A)

17/04/10 – Crystal Palace (A)

24/04/10 – Bristol City (A)

02/05/10 – Cardiff City (H)

Season Stats:

1. Stephen Bywater

Position: GK

D.O.B.: 07/06/81

Rating: 83

Starts: 1

Sub Apps: 0

Goals Conceded: 1

Saves: 1

Clean Sheets: 0

2. Paul Connolly

Position: RB

D.O.B.: 29/09/83

Rating: 82

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

Discipline: 0Y, 0R

3. Jay McEveley

Position: LB

D.O.B.: 02/11/85

Starts: 0

Sub Apps: 1

4. Paul Green

Position: CM/AM

D.O.B.: 10/04/83

5. Miles Addison

Position: DM/CB

D.O.B.: 07/01/89

Goals: 1

7. Lee Croft

Position: RM/Wing

D.O.B.: 21/06/85

8. Robbie Savage

Position: DM/CM

D.O.B.: 18/10/74

10. Kris Commons

Position: LM/AM

D.O.B.: 30/08/83

11. Gary Teale

Position: RM/Wing

D.O.B.: 21/07/78

Goals: 1

13. Saul Deeney

Position: GK

D.O.B.: 12/03/83

Rating: 67

Goals Conceded: 0

Saves: 0

15. Luke Varney

Position: CF

D.O.B.: 28/09/82

16. Stephen Pearson

Position: LM/CM

D.O.B.: 02/10/82

17. Jake Buxton

Position: CB/LB

D.O.B.: 04/03/85

Rating: 70

Discipline: 1Y, 0R

18. Ben Pringle

Position: Mid

D.O.B.: 25/07/1989

Rating:
NOT ON DB

20. Steve Davies

Position: Wing/Fwd

D.O.B.: 11/02/87

Rating: 79

21. Dean Moxey

Position: LB/LM

D.O.B.: 14/01/86

Rating: 73

22. Arnaud Mendy

Position: Fwd

D.O.B.: ??

Rating:
NOT ON DB

23. Mark O'Brien

Position: CB

D.O.B.: 20/11/92

Rating:
NOT ON DB

All the things which are in Bold I have fixed for you or added ;)

These are:

Captian: Paul Connolly

Most of Ben Pringle's Stats (Done a Scout Thread on him so I knew most of them off the top of my head :o)

And Aurad Mendy's Age, not sure of his Date of Birth though

Barton would be worth keeping. He is a very good player because he can do passes the rest of our midfield wouldn't even think about. I hope he starts against Reading on Saturday.

Hmm' date=' not convinced. He has talent, Barton, but I think he's too much of a disruptive influence on the club to take advantage of. He's on ridiculous wages as well, and if you don't go straight back up, then you really can't afford to keep players like that as the financial rewards in the Championship are pitiful in comparison to the EPL.

All the things which are in Bold I have fixed for you or added ;)

These are:

Captian: Paul Connolly

Most of Ben Pringle's Stats (Done a Scout Thread on him so I knew most of them off the top of my head :o)

And Aurad Mendy's Age, not sure of his Date of Birth though

Cheers pal. The thread's still in construction, so I am getting round to adding those little bits and pieces into place. I'm hoping that in the next couple of weeks, each club will have had a thorugh examination.

Cheers pal. The thread's still in construction' date=' so I am getting round to adding those little bits and pieces into place. I'm hoping that in the next couple of weeks, each club will have had a thorugh examination.[/quote']

Brilliant Mate and also you will be able to give Ben Pringle a rating because he is being added to the Database Tomorrow ;)