Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Though I'd pop my head in to say what a cracking effort this thread is Andy. Particularly like the fact Jonas Olsson gets an assist for the ball hitting him on the backside on Saturday. :D Top work.

Haha, he'll tell you he meant it! He's been credited it on the stats site I use, so I din't see why he shouldn't get it!

Right, I've just finished the final match report from the weekend that was the Coventry v Ipswich game, and that, along with two more match reports can be found on the previous page. I shall try to do a comprehensive review of each match I watch in the week so you can get an idea about who's playing well and who's looking promising. If you would like to add your own match reports on games that you have seen, either in my style or your own, then please, feel free.

I'm gonna try and do a round-up of the past two weeks transfers (got caught up on that last week) and a round-up of the rest of the weekend's games before I go to bed, but we'll see how long it takes!

Andy :)

Bloody hell.

Most detailed thread I've ever seen! :D

WBA for CHAMPIONS!

Haha' date=' thanks mate - I don't do things by half! :P

P.S. You'd be my bets to be champions this year as well. Just make sure you don't sell Brunt! (unless it's back to us! [wishful thinking, I know!']).

Haha' date=' thanks mate - I don't do things by half! :P

P.S. You'd be my bets to be champions this year as well. Just make sure you don't sell Brunt! (unless it's back to us! [wishful thinking, I know!']).

With Mattock arriving, I see RDM selling Brunt on for some reason :(

Greening to go to Fulham in a coupla days.

With Mattock arriving' date=' I see RDM selling Brunt on for some reason :(

Greening to go to Fulham in a coupla days.[/quote']

I hadn't thought of that. I just presumed that Mattock would slot in at left-back, but he could be a replacement for Brunt, yes. I haven't heard any rumours of Brunt leaving, though, which can only be a good thing. He's a brilliant Championship player and you'd miss him if he goes.

Likewise for Greening. But if your board stands firm and refuses to give in, then you could well keep him. He's said that he wouldn't mind playing in the EPL, but if West Brom decide to reject the bids coming in for him, then he will respect their decision, and I think that tells you waht sort of bloke he is.

If you could keep those two, your chances of promotion straight back up are high. But if you lose them, they will hurt your chances significantly.

I hadn't thought of that. I just presumed that Mattock would slot in at left-back' date=' but he could be a replacement for Brunt, yes. I haven't heard any rumours of Brunt leaving, though, which can only be a good thing. He's a brilliant Championship player and you'd miss him if he goes.

Likewise for Greening. But if your board stands firm and refuses to give in, then you could well keep him. He's said that he wouldn't mind playing in the EPL, but if West Brom decide to reject the bids coming in for him, then he will respect their decision, and I think that tells you waht sort of bloke he is.

If you could keep those two, your chances of promotion straight back up are high. But if you lose them, they will hurt your chances significantly.[/quote']

Cech is very good at LM. That's who I was on about :P

and Greening is widely expected to go in the next few days, from what I've heard, he had a medical at the Priory in Birmingham today.

I reckon we'll get a playoff space no doubt, but it doesn't matter who we sold, like a coupla years ago, we sold Koumas, Kamara and Davies (:rolleyes:) and done alot better with the money!

Cech is very good at LM. That's who I was on about :P

and Greening is widely expected to go in the next few days' date=' from what I've heard, he had a medical at the Priory in Birmingham today.[/b']

I reckon we'll get a playoff space no doubt, but it doesn't matter who we sold, like a coupla years ago, we sold Koumas, Kamara and Davies (:rolleyes:) and done alot better with the money!

A .com forum exclusive by all accounts. ;)

Be a shame to see Johnno go, been a good servant to the Albion all told. We'll have to adjust our style of play without him (assuming Valero stays out of favour), but it was obvious on Saturday that we weren't as reliant on him. Koren's wasted on the wing anyway, and Dorrans deserves a run as it is. Not to mention Morrison when he gets over his injury. We're well stocked enough in midfield to take £4-5 million and get in a versatile defender and a goalscorer.

Brunt's an interesting one, I thought he was nailed on to stay up until this week. But with Cech apparently pencilled in as a possible option on the left of midfield and the Jerome Thomas whispers getting a bit louder it wouldn't surprise me if he's off. Would take a big offer to get Uncle Jeremy to part with him, mind. Almost one as big as Curtis Davies' fee I would assume.

Opening Day Weekend Results

Friday, 7th August 2009

Middlesbrough 0-0 Sheffield United

Comprehensive Match Report

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, 8th August 2009

Cardiff City 4-0 Shorpe United

Cardiff kicked off the new season in a brand new stadium and with an emphatic win over newly promoted Shorpe. Summer signing, Michael Chopra got the first, albeit thanks to a hefty deflection. Jay Bothroyd was on hand to tap-in at the back-post for the second before Chopra killed the Irons off in first-half stoppage time with a vicious effort that Joe Murphy could only get a hand to. Peter Whittingham put some gloss on the final score with a late penalty.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Crystal Palace 1-1 Plymouth Argyle

Newboy Stern John almost gave Palace the perfect start in this one, but missed the target with a header. Kriztian Timar didn't disappoint at the other end, emphatically volleying home from a corner. John went off with a suspected broken arm, and it was his replacement, Alan Lee who got the equaliser, heading home to give his side a share of the spoils.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Derby County 2-1 Peterborough United

A late Gary Teale strike won all three points for Derby after Peterborough thought they had snatched a draw. Paul Green provided the cross for Jake Buxton to head across goal where Miles Addison was on hand to give the Rams an early lead. George Boyd had a goal disallowed for Posh soon after, but it was Derby who were controlling proceedings. However, the home side failed to close the game out and a mix-up between captain Paul Connolly and 'keeper Stephen Bywater led to the latter bringing down Shaun Batt. Boyd stepped up to despatch the resultant penalty and reward Peterborough with what they thought was an unexpected point. However, it was not to be as Joe Lewis and the Peterborough defence dealt with a Derby corner poorly, and Teale was on hadn to poke in a late winner.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Leicester City 2-1 Swansea City

Swansea took an early lead at the Walkers Stadium when Welsh international defender Ashley Williams headed in an early corner amid dodgy Leicester defending. However, it was Williams who gave the Foxes a way back into the game when he brought down Bruno Berner in the area, although Steve Howard's spot-kick was well saved by Dorus De Vries. Martyn Waghorn's deflected shot gave De Vries no chance for the equaliser, before substitute Danny N'Guessan scored the winner on his debut following Howard's knock-down.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Preston North End 2-2 Bristol City

Preston lauched an impressive late fightback to give themselves a point from a game where they possibly deserved none. John Parkin somehow was foiled on the line by Louis Carey early on while Youl Mawene also missed a guilt-edged opportunity. But Bristol City took control of the game after half-time when Mawene bundled over Danny Haynes in the area. New signing Paul Hartley scored a debut penalty before fellow Scottish newcomer, David Clarkson, grabbed himself a debut goal under ten minutes later. But, cue the fightback. Parkin made no mistake with a half-volley on the edge of the area after the ball fell kindly towards him. The referee helped bail the Lilywhites out by ruling the ball to have struck Carey's arm deep into stoppage time and new captain, Callum Davidson, struck the late, late equaliser.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Blackpool

Heidur Helguson hit the bar for the home side in the game's first real chance with the goal gaping. But Blackpool went up the other end to net the opening goal as Ben Burgess slotted home following Gary Taylor-Fletcher's lay-off. Rangers continued to spurn opportunites and found their opposition 'keeper, Paul Rachubka, in fine form. But they did eventually get the equaliser late on, when Peter Ramage's cross flew straight into the back of the net.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Reading 0-0 Nottingham Forest

These two sides played out the only goalless encounter of the weekend at the Madejski Stadium. David McGoldrick tested Adam Federici from long-range early on, while Reading's young side struggled to test Lee Camp. Jimmy Kebe almost gave the Royals the lead in the second period, and Federici made another good save to deny Robert Earnshaw. But a draw it was to be and the main action of note came when Luke Chambers was given his marching orders for an apparent elbow to Shane Long.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Barnsley

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Watford 1-1 Doncaster Rovers

New signing Danny Graham gave his new side a first-half lead by being on hand to tap-in at the back-post. But their lead was short-lived as a terrific header from James Hayer looped over Scott Loach from fully 18-yards out. Dean Shiels had the best chance to win it for Doncaster, but his effort was just kept out by Loach, while Tommy Smith's late header went narrowly wide.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

West Bromich Albion 1-1 Newcastle United

Newcastle picked up a point in a tricky encounter amidst their troubled position both on and off the pitch. After missing from glaringly close-range early on, Shelton Martis gave West Brom a first-half lead in a bit of a goalmouth scramble following Jonathan Greening's free-kick. Substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul kept Newcastle in it with a series of impressive saves before and after Damien Duff's equaliser. Kevin Nolan found the Irishman in space on the left and Duff made no mistake from 12 yards out. Jonas Olsson had a late goal rightfully ruled out for offside.

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

Sunday, 9th August 2009

Coventry City 2-1 Ipswich Town

Match Highlights

- - - - - - - - - -

A .com forum exclusive by all accounts. ;)

Be a shame to see Johnno go' date=' been a good servant to the Albion all told. We'll have to adjust our style of play without him (assuming Valero stays out of favour), but it was obvious on Saturday that we weren't as reliant on him. Koren's wasted on the wing anyway, and Dorrans deserves a run as it is. Not to mention Morrison when he gets over his injury. We're well stocked enough in midfield to take £4-5 million and get in a versatile defender and a goalscorer.

Brunt's an interesting one, I thought he was nailed on to stay up until this week. But with Cech apparently pencilled in as a possible option on the left of midfield and the Jerome Thomas whispers getting a bit louder it wouldn't surprise me if he's off. Would take a big offer to get Uncle Jeremy to part with him, mind. Almost one as big as Curtis Davies' fee I would assume.[/quote']

Indeed! :D Good ol' Vince eh?

Should've got Jara also when we got the change, who could play along the back four.

It's been confirmed we've signed Thomas who at this level, is well proven and can split defences like a knife through butter. Brunt to go to someone by the end of the transfer window imo! :D

Again, keep up the brilliant work on this thread mate.

Here's a quick preview of all the Championship action that you can see this weekend:

Friday, 14th August

Football League Weekend

A look ahead to the weekend in the Coca-Cola Football League, including all the latest news and iterviews.

6PM, Sky Sports 1;

8PM, Sky Sports 3;

10PM Sky Sports 2.

Saturday, 15th August

Newcastle v Reading, LIVE

Newcastle United take on Reading in a Coca-Cola Championship encounter at St. James' Park. Both sides are searching for a first win of the season after draws last weekend.

5:15PM, Sky Sports 1

The Football League Show

Manish Bhasin presents highlights and all the goals from today's fixtures in the Championship, League One and League Two.

11:20PM, BBC1

Not feeling to confident about going to Scunny tomorrow. We have one fit striker in Reg Varney and he is just hopless :o

I suppose the good thing is is that Commons is back and kicking, so he may cause a few problems tomorrow.

Off to Barnsley tomorrow' date=' and I'm pretty sure we're gonna win. We always beat them.[/quote']

Saw them last week, and, if you don't let them bully you, they are a poor side, Barnsley. All they do is play the long ball game, so if Wright and Turner play as well as they did last weekend, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Also, another good signing for you by Coleman, in Martin Cranie. I think he was decent for the Under-21's this summer and strengthens the weakest area of your team - defence. I'm already having second thought about Cov. I put them down in my predcition as "Bottom Half, But Safe", although I haven't explained why yet - I though the loss of Dann and Fox would hurt you more than it actually might. After seeing the game last weekend, I reckon you could have a decent season now. You have a great midfield, a top goalscorer in Morrison, the best 'keeper outside the EPL and an adequate backline. I reckon you could be sly bets for the play-offs, if things went well for you.

As for Wednesday, we're playing the Posh this weekend, and I don't live to far away from Peterborough, so my Dad and I are making the trip. Should be a tricky game, but we apparently played very well against Rochdale in midweek, so I'm hopeful about getting something out of the game. I just hope we stay switched on for 90 minutes this week, instead of 45.

Saw them last week' date=' and, if you don't let them bully you, they are a poor side, Barnsley. All they do is play the long ball game, so if Wright and Turner play as well as they did last weekend, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Also, another good signing for you by Coleman, in Martin Cranie. I think he was decent for the Under-21's this summer and strengthens the weakest area of your team - defence. I'm already having second thought about Cov. I put them down in my predcition as [i']"Bottom Half, But Safe", [/i]although I haven't explained why yet - I though the loss of Dann and Fox would hurt you more than it actually might. After seeing the game last weekend, I reckon you could have a decent season now. You have a great midfield, a top goalscorer in Morrison, the best 'keeper outside the EPL and an adequate backline. I reckon you could be sly bets for the play-offs, if things went well for you.

As for Wednesday, we're playing the Posh this weekend, and I don't live to far away from Peterborough, so my Dad and I are making the trip. Should be a tricky game, but we apparently played very well against Rochdale in midweek, so I'm hopeful about getting something out of the game. I just hope we stay switched on for 90 minutes this week, instead of 45.

That's a top notch assessment of Coventry there Andy. You seem to know more about us than some of our ridiculously stupid fans, read the board on BBC 606 if you ever feel like a laugh, its hilarious. Cranie will be a great signing for us, and I'm quite surprised that we've managed to secure the services of a regular England U21 International on a permanent basis.

I wouldn't bet on us getting a play off spot purely because of the squad depth. The Championship is a long old season and when injuries and suspensions start kicking in we simply don't have the depth to sustain a similar and consistent level of performance. Our first 11 is, on paper, quite strong as you say, however the bench is mainly youth lads, and I think only 1 or 2 of them actually have the ability to become decent Championship level players. One of those would be Jermaine Grandison who is certainly one to look out for. Our lack of depth was underlined by our cup defeat to Hartlepool the other night, we made a few changes and the back up players couldn't do the job.

That's a top notch assessment of Coventry there Andy. You seem to know more about us than some of our ridiculously stupid fans' date=' read the board on BBC 606 if you ever feel like a laugh, its hilarious. Cranie will be a great signing for us, and I'm quite surprised that we've managed to secure the services of a regular England U21 International on a permanent basis.

I wouldn't bet on us getting a play off spot purely because of the squad depth. The Championship is a long old season and when injuries and suspensions start kicking in we simply don't have the depth to sustain a similar and consistent level of performance. Our first 11 is, on paper, quite strong as you say, however the bench is mainly youth lads, and I think only 1 or 2 of them actually have the ability to become decent Championship level players. One of those would be Jermaine Grandison who is certainly one to look out for. Our lack of depth was underlined by our cup defeat to Hartlepool the other night, we made a few changes and the back up players couldn't do the job.[/quote']

I know exactly what you mean, in two senses. Firstly, you're right about the 606 message board. I find it amazing how many of the fans that post on their are completely deluded. It's as if they follow a differnt team to the one you watch, and it actually makes me angry sometimes with what they say. It makes you ashamed to be associated with them.

Secondly, we at Wednesday have the exact same problem when it comes to squad depth. Just like Cov, we have a decent first XI on paper who, if fit for the whole season, could probably challenge for the play-offs. But football's not as simple as that and we suffer terribly from injuries and, quite frankly, the players coming in aren't goo enough. To be fair, the signings we have made this summer have been decent and improve our strength in depth somewhat, while we haven't really lost any key players. Despite that, I'm pretty sure we'll finish mid-table and I would be pleased with a 10th place finish.

As for what you were saying about Cov, I reckon you'll be probably be in the mix with Wednesday around mid-table, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Coleman needs time to settle the club before beginning that assualt on the big time once more. Like you say, you do seem to have a few promising youngsters coming through, which I as a fan, always like to see. But if you can put out the side you put out last Sunday (plus Cranie), you can be more than a match for most teams this season.

Off to Forest tomorrow, not sure what to expect really. They look decent enough on paper but apparently they've got a few injuries at the back, which given our defensive record points to a few goals going in at either end. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see 5 across midfield with Tex/Dorrans or Mattock in for Wood. Would dearly love to turn them over if only because I can't stand that little troglodyte Billy Davies.

And we've signed Jerome Thomas. Genuine pace out wide for a change. Between him going to the byeline and Brunty cutting in from the right we could do some damage from the wings.

Newcastle have a signing! :D Not sure what to expect from Reading tomorrow. They have let go of a lot their players who did well in the Premier League but the Reading fans think they have a lot of good young players coming through. I think Newcastle will edge it 1-0 or 2-1.

Off to Forest tomorrow' date=' not sure what to expect really. They look decent enough on paper but apparently they've got a few injuries at the back, which given our defensive record points to a few goals going in at either end. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see 5 across midfield with Tex/Dorrans or Mattock in for Wood. Would dearly love to turn them over if only because I can't stand that little troglodyte Billy Davies.

And we've signed Jerome Thomas. Genuine pace out wide for a change. Between him going to the byeline and Brunty cutting in from the right we could do some damage from the wings.[/quote']

I shall be going also! :P I think we might just scrape a scrappy 1-0/2-0 victory tbh, can't see Thomas making an impact tbh! :(

I shall be going also! :P I think we might just scrape a scrappy 1-0/2-0 victory tbh' date=' can't see Thomas making an impact tbh! :([/quote']

I'd rip your hand off if you offered me a scrappy win, Forest won't be an easy place to go this season. I'm not sure either to be honest, the thing that worries me is that despite all his natural pace and athleticism he's hardly set the Champ alight with Charlton in the past. I've not seen an awful lot of him but I do worry that his delivery might not be up to scratch, given that he's got all the pace in the world. Still worth a punt on a freebie I think, if Lloyd Dyer could terrorise defences on a super sub a few years back then I'm sure he can manage something similar at the very least.

Beat the Scum, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Beat the Scum!

If you do win Sinar, come round mine after :), thats if you haven't been stabbed by their scummy fans

Beat the Scum' date=' PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Beat the Scum!

If you do win Sinar, come round mine after :), thats if you haven't been stabbed by their scummy fans[/quote']

I'm quite good thanks! :D:confused:

Beat the Scum' date=' PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Beat the Scum!

If you do win Sinar, come round mine after :), thats if you haven't been stabbed by their scummy fans[/quote']

414129-1.jpg

Get ready to kiss it goodbye Wozza! :P

735941-JHS_umbro_nottingham_forest_jersey_crest_zm.jpg

Just a quick update on the thread guys; I've decided to slightly alter the method that I shall be using to display each player's season statistics. The new format shall include the total number of minutes on the pitch, while a seperate section will be created for their League Cup and FA Cup statistics. I've have only done Barnsley so far, so you can check that out if you wish. If you can't be bothered to go back to the first page, then an example is shown below. I shall begin to go through each team with the adopted system on Sunday - I myself shall be at London Road tomorrow to watch Peterborough v Sheffield Wednesday. Can't wait!

1. Luke Steele

Stats:

Position: GK

D.O.B.: 24/09/84

Rating: 80

League:

Starts: 1

Sub Apps: 0

Total Minutes: 90

Goals Conceded: 2

Saves: 3

Clean Sheets: 0

Cup:

Starts: 1

Sub Apps: 0

Total Minutes: 90

Goals Conceded: 0

Saves: 4

Clean Sheets: 1

Other that that, it's good to see some good discussions and banter taking place. I would just like to mention that, while I love a bit of banter, could we please be careful with how far we go in winding our rival fans up. I don't want this to turn into a ranting and raving thread!

Regards,

Andy :)