Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Official Npower Championship Thread

Very happy with the signing of Michael Jacobs.

Jacobs...Bryson....Hendrick....Ward

Thats a good championship midfield, however is a little lightweight.

Now we just need to flog Steve Davies who wants to go for family reasons and use the million or so we get for him to add abit more quality in attack.

A left back and a centre back wouldnt go a miss either.

Leeds Takeover:

Statement Released from the club earlier that they are in talks with a investor and that investor is carrying out diligence and has been granted an exclusivity period of time to complete the work. this investor also has the finacial resources to support the club.

Thats nice and positive, however Twitter has now come into play and Phil Hay who's a journalist and pretty well respected from what I understand has also tweeted this(brief summary of tweets):

• Leeds are talking the the Football league about a fit and proper persons test which could suggest a major investment or takeover.
  • Apparently it's strongly rumored these investors are from the Middle East but there's no conformation(Oil Money please)
  • Also Phil Hays spoken to a Sports Laywer who believe after looking at the statement by The Club it firmly points towards a full takeover.

Not going to say to much myself as I'm not in the loop only going off what vie read and seen rumored but it's looking positive hopefully Bates is gone within the week without complications or the club having any involvement with him and his crooked ways(unlikely). Along with this its been said that Paddy Kenny is set to join but won't be signed until after the takeover.

Brighton signing Bruno Saltor is more than likely down to them trying to hold onto Vicente for next season good signing for them.

Leeds Takeover:

Statement Released from the club earlier that they are in talks with a investor and that investor is carrying out diligence and has been granted an exclusivity period of time to complete the work. this investor also has the finacial resources to support the club.

Thats nice and positive' date=' however Twitter has now come into play and Phil Hay who's a journalist and pretty well respected from what I understand has also tweeted this(brief summary of tweets):

[list']

[*]Leeds are talking the the Football league about a fit and proper persons test which could suggest a major investment or takeover.

[*]Apparently it's strongly rumored these investors are from the Middle East but there's no conformation(Oil Money please)

[*]Also Phil Hays spoken to a Sports Laywer who believe after looking at the statement by The Club it firmly points towards a full takeover.

Not going to say to much myself as I'm not in the loop only going off what vie read and seen rumored but it's looking positive hopefully Bates is gone within the week without complications or the club having any involvement with him and his crooked ways(unlikely). Along with this its been said that Paddy Kenny is set to join but won't be signed until after the takeover.

Brighton signing Bruno Saltor is more than likely down to them trying to hold onto Vicente for next season good signing for them.

I've been told that nothing can be made public until on or after 1st July.

But also, the company I work for was semi-interested in becoming the new shirt sponsor before Enterprise Insurance came into to. My company pulled out because they didn't want to be associated with Bates. Anywho, the head of marketing at my company kept in contact with some Leeds executive and that executive basically said that any talk of a takeover was bullplob. But this was after the first statement from Leeds came out. This head of marketing at my place is a big headed ****** and doesn't shut, so I took what he said with a pinch of salt because something is obviously going on.

Edit: the word censored above is to.sser, hardly a swear word is it?

1) Blackburn Rovers have completed the signing of Newcastle striker Leon Best, I think this is a good deal for both parties, I think in the championship Best will do well up front and I think Newcastle will be happy to get £3M for him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18680787

Only just noticed that Blackburn signed Danny Murphy the other week aswell, never looked at this thread at the time, just watched a short video on the BBC where Murphy is talking on about his role, I think him playing every week will be good for him and with his experience it will be good for the club, Will be interesting see what else Blackburn do in the transfer market.

2) Bolton are close to signing Leicester defender Danny Mills, Bolton are thought to have agreed a fee in the region of £2million with Leicester, The defender is expected to complete his move in the next few days.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7859054/Bolton-close-on-Mills-move

1) Blackburn Rovers have completed the signing of Newcastle striker Leon Best' date=' I think this is a good deal for both parties, I think in the championship Best will do well up front and I think Newcastle will be happy to get £3M for him.

[url']http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18680787[/url]

Only just noticed that Blackburn signed Danny Murphy the other week aswell, never looked at this thread at the time, just watched a short video on the BBC where Murphy is talking on about his role, I think him playing every week will be good for him and with his experience it will be good for the club, Will be interesting see what else Blackburn do in the transfer market.

I think that is an awful signing by Blackburn, £3 million is an awful lot of money for a Championship striker. You'd expect to sign someone with that sort of money with a proven track record of scoring goals at this level. Never impressed me at Coventry. Billy Sharp went to Southampton in January for less money than that.

With Venkies and Kean still at Blakburn, I can't see them doing well next season. They're a great example of how not to run a football club.

I think that is an awful signing by Blackburn' date=' £3 million is an awful lot of money for a Championship striker. You'd expect to sign someone with that sort of money with a proven track record of scoring goals at this level. Never impressed me at Coventry. Billy Sharp went to Southampton in January for less money than that.

With Venkies and Kean still at Blakburn, I can't see them doing well next season. They're a great example of how not to run a football club.[/quote']

Getting £3M for Best is definitely good for Newcastle because they can put that to a transfer what will benefit them and he wasn't important to them.

£3M does seem a lot for a championship striker but I do think he will do well at Blackburn if he can stay fit, he could end up being worth it, Ricardo Fuller is a free agent and he would be a better signing than getting Best for £3M.

I do agree it seems a lot of money taking into consideration he was injured for the second part of last season, he didnt start when he was fit anyway.

Getting £3M for Best is definitely good for Newcastle because they can put that to a transfer what will benefit them and he wasn't important to them.

£3M does seem a lot for a championship striker but I do think he will do well at Blackburn if he can stay fit' date=' he could end up being worth it, Ricardo Fuller is a free agent and he would be a better signing than getting Best for £3M.

I do agree it seems a lot of money taking into consideration he was injured for the second part of last season, he didnt start when he was fit anyway.[/quote']

Well for Newcastle, that is quiet a lot of money seeing as they've been able to buy the likes of Cabaye, Tiote and Ben Arfa for around that price in the past and that will go a long way towards reaching the funds to signing Douglas.

For Blackburn though, it could be a good signing but he's going to have to score 15+ goals to make it a good signing and I can't see him doing that. Even when Danny Graham was top scorer in the Championship in 2010/2011 with 27 goals he only went for £3.5 million. They could have put that money to much better use.

Blackburn also look like they've signed Nuno Gomez on a two year deal, subject to a medical. To me a two year deal for a 36 year old is a bit of a risk but his experience will help. They're also looking at Portugease players Fabio Nunes (Portimonense) and Adrien Silva (Sporting Lisbon).

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7860947/Rovers-line-up-Gomes

Norwich look like they're going to sign Barnsley's Jacob Butterfield. He's out of contract, but due to his age Barnsley are due compensation. They've had a bid rejected, so it looks like it's going to go to a tribunal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7861367/Tykes-shun-Butterfield-offer

Can't quiet believe it, but Sean Dyche has been sacked by Watford and Gianfranco Zola is set to replace him after the takeover of the Pozzo family. Watford did really well last season, despite selling key players like Danny Graham and Will Buckley and Dyche did a very good job to finish 11th. Very harsh sacking, it will be interesting to see how Zola does though if he does get the job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18687313

Cheers for that info Studge everything about this takeover seems very interesting apparently now there's no British person leading the takeover so that could make things more interesting, Still waiting for a announcement about the change of ownership but i can see it taking a few more days yet, maybe tomorrow as its independence day :P

On the Transfer Front:

Paddy Kenny is apparently close to a move to Leeds with a fee of 500k being the rumored fee personally i think we could get him for less than that considering his 2nd choice status now Rob Green has joined and him more than likely wanting to play as first choice. Would be a good signing better than Lonergan and should be good for this level.

Lee Peltier could be heading to Leeds for 350k from what i've read and been linked to on twitter considering he cost Leicester 800k rising to 1M last summer that would be a great deal, not really sure what to make of it personally looking at the amount of games he played last season (40) are Leicester really looking to sell him especially for a loss? i'm guessing Jon can inform me of that...

Another Player was Luke Chambers who's out of Contract at Nottingham Forest with us needing to strengthen defensively he could have been a good back up to Lees and Pearce but from what i've read this morning he's snubbed a move to Leeds in favor of a move to Ipswich who have been strongly linked to him and we're favorites to sign him so am not to disappointed as there's plenty of players available we could still sign.

So the Defence Could be (Potentially)

Kenny

Peltier Lees Pearce Dury

looks okay to me.

Then there's more news regarding players currently at Leeds with Aidy White being expected to return to pre-season training according to Warnock even tho his contract is up and he's free to leave although we would receive Compensation apparently it would be in his interest for him to come training. Have seen some people interpret this as we're be trying to offer him a new contact will be interesting to see he's useful down the left side and can play a number of positions so would be nice to see him sign up again even if it's just to get more money to fund transfers(depending how loaded this takeover group are)

Andy Lonergan has been linked with Bolton as experienced competition for Adam Bogdan, to be honest i think it's unlikely he'll move to Bolton i personally see him moving somewhere he'd be a first choice if he left otherwise there's not much sense in a move unless he's getting a higher wage of course.

Now the big one is probably Ross McCormack with a year to run on his contract and him not agreeing to sign a new contract there's bound to be some interest also the fact he scored 19 times last season. Crystal Palace have apparently cooled there interest but we're rumored to be in the bidding at about 800k, there's interest from Huddersfield along with a few other clubs so I don't really know where he'll be come the end of the summer personally hope we can get him signed up on a new contract.

Enough about leeds...

Leon Best to Blackburn from Newcastle for £3M personally I think Newcastle have got a fantastic deal there he's clearly not going to be needed next season and they can use that money to probably purchase another bargain or add it to a current offer of De Jong. I don't think he'll score enough goals to prove value for money but it's a good signing if you forget how much he cost.

Sean Dyche sacking was always going to happen which is a shame after all they really shouldn't have done as well as they did last season and them performances where down to Dyche he's a very genuine bloke and did a great job I doubt it'll be long before he gets a job offer from elsewhere in the football league. Zola's soon to be appointment again was no great surprise the Pozzo family were always going to be looking for a yes man or a Italian, personally i don't rate Zola as a manager but depends if he has financial backing as to if Watford do well.

Jacob Butterflied's move to Norwich.. I think would be a good move for him they proved last year that signing players from the championship and league one works if you ease them in as they did with Elliot Bennett, Pilkington, Johnson and more. He'll get some decent game time there which will help his development and with them having a pretty much British based squad he could settle in well. Good move, just a shame it's heading to a tribunal.. Newcastle have been rumored to be interested as well in the past so we could see a late offer from them but I still think Norwich is the right move for them especially with the structure Chris Hughton seems to be carrying on from Paul Lambert.

Hopefully Blackburn do poorly this season id enjoy watching that don't like there owners nor do i like Steve Keen really hope Leeds get 6 points off them as well personally i know it's early to say but I expect Bolton to be in the Auto's they seem to have one of the strongest teams in the league.

Anyone know whats happening with Clyne of Crystal Palace i know he's out of contract with compensation would have thought the likes of Norwich/Southampton/Reading would have made moves for him by now.. :)

Can't quiet believe it' date=' but Sean Dyche has been sacked by Watford and Gianfranco Zola is set to replace him after the takeover of the Pozzo family. Watford did really well last season, despite selling key players like Danny Graham and Will Buckley and Dyche did a very good job to finish 11th. Very harsh sacking, it will be interesting to see how Zola does though if he does get the job.

[url']http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18687313[/url]

QUITE.

Quiet = Making little or no noise.

Quite = Expressing agreement with or understanding of a remark or statement.

Can't wait to see Zola back in management :)

On the Transfer Front:

Chambers was superb for Forest the season before last, will be a great signing for whoever gets him. Suprised a Premier League club didn't make a move for him to use him as a back up defender, I think it could have been as good as a signing as McAuley turned out to be for West Brom.

Kenny would be fantastic for £500k, 22 clean sheets for QPR when they won the Championship and in my opinion was their best player that season. Would be a great signing for Leeds for certain, can see him going their with Warnock in charge.

Butterfield would be a good signing for Norwich, it just depends on how much game time he gets. He's 23 now and will want to be playing and with the likes of Howson, Johnson, Fox, Hoolahan and Crofts at Norwich i'm not sure he'll be a first teamer. Still a good signing though, was very good for Barnsley last season.

I'd like to see Blackburn struggle, the support they were getting in the Premier League was pathetic and only brought 600 to us in a must win match. Although their club isn't being run properly, their support was a hinderence to their team and really didn't help their teams performances. I'd like to see them struggle.

As for Clyne, supposedly Aston Villa are front runners for him. I don't think Palace will be keen to take it to a tribunal after what happened with John Bostock and the sort of figure being quoted is £2.5 million which is an absoloute bargain for a player of his potential. That would be a great bit of buisness by any side in the Premier League.

Chambers was superb for Forest the season before last' date=' will be a great signing for whoever gets him. Suprised a Premier League club didn't make a move for him to use him as a back up defender, I think it could have been as good as a signing as McAuley turned out to be for West Brom.[/quote']

Agreed he's be a good signing personally i'm surprised he turned down Forest especially with them having New Owners incoming from Kuwait... rumors are he's off to Ipswich step down in my opinion could of got himself a better now.

Kenny would be fantastic for £500k, 22 clean sheets for QPR when they won the Championship and in my opinion was their best player that season. Would be a great signing for Leeds for certain, can see him going their with Warnock in charge.

That's the reasoning behind most of are transfer rumors at present tbh being Warnock, I've always liked Kenny and Feel he could offer some good experience in goal and sure up are defense a bit as last season it was not enjoyable to watch sometimes. He could also offer some good experience to Alex Cairns who looks like he could be Number 2 next season if Andy Lonergan does leave.

Butterfield would be a good signing for Norwich, it just depends on how much game time he gets. He's 23 now and will want to be playing and with the likes of Howson, Johnson, Fox, Hoolahan and Crofts at Norwich i'm not sure he'll be a first teamer. Still a good signing though, was very good for Barnsley last season.

Personally I can see them making room for Butterfield he's clearly very talented and with Norwich last year under Paul Lambert they did rotate quite well I think his first season there will see him more as a back up/cup player hopefully will just get some good minutes under his belt. Still as you said very good signing.

I'd like to see Blackburn struggle, the support they were getting in the Premier League was pathetic and only brought 600 to us in a must win match. Although their club isn't being run properly, their support was a hinderence to their team and really didn't help their teams performances. I'd like to see them struggle.

I feel for the Supporters they were promised so much with the likes of Ronaldinho and the Champions League being said as targets and now they have Danny Murphy and Championship football, I Blame the owners and Steve Keen he's just an annoying yes man. Not to say Danny Murphy's a bad singing I think he'll be one of there better signings this season. Just very poor running at Blackburn the fans must be angry and there protest is fair enough why pay to watch a team which won't be run properly , hopefully the Venkys leave along with Steve Kean and Rovers get a chance to reinvent themselves as i've never had a problem with the club just there current situation :P

As for Clyne, supposedly Aston Villa are front runners for him. I don't think Palace will be keen to take it to a tribunal after what happened with John Bostock and the sort of figure being quoted is £2.5 million which is an absoloute bargain for a player of his potential. That would be a great bit of buisness by any side in the Premier League.

Saying Villa that doesn't Surprise me to be fair Lambert's always looked to bring in players from the Lower tiers during his time at Norwich and to be fair he probably was a target during his time there so that would be a good singing if it was to happen.

Personally I can see them making room for Butterfield he's clearly very talented and with Norwich last year under Paul Lambert they did rotate quite well I think his first season there will see him more as a back up/cup player hopefully will just get some good minutes under his belt. Still as you said very good signing.

I've heard twitter rumours (probably pinch of salt rumours) that Lambert wants Howson to join him at Villa. I think he'd do a good job there in the trequartista number 10 role that he used to play for us just in behind Bent. If there's any truth in that then it could explain the signing of Butterfield but nothing more than hearsay at the minute.

I've heard twitter rumours (probably pinch of salt rumours) that Lambert wants Howson to join him at Villa. I think he'd do a good job there in the trequartista number 10 role that he used to play for us just in behind Bent. If there's any truth in that then it could explain the signing of Butterfield but nothing more than hearsay at the minute.

Id be very surprised if that was to happen considering he's only been there 6 months but that could very well be a legitimate reason considering Howson was one of Lamberts signings and at the time he seemed very happy to pay 2 million for him even tho he only had 6 months to run on his contract. Still Personally I think Butterfield has been added as depth and not a replacement but it could be interesting to see how that works out at Norwich.

Lee Peltier could be heading to Leeds for 350k from what i've read and been linked to on twitter considering he cost Leicester 800k rising to 1M last summer that would be a great deal' date=' not really sure what to make of it personally looking at the amount of games he played last season (40) are Leicester really looking to sell him especially for a loss? i'm guessing Jon can inform me of that...[/quote']

I think this will go through once your takeover has been completed. To be honest, he's a very average Championship RB, certainly nothing special. He started the season very well, but his form dipped around November time and he had an average winter period. He was poor for the last few months of the season, and I don't see him as much of a loss.

He doesn't get forward that often as he usually prefers to cut back and play the safe option. When he does get forward his delivery is hit and miss, like most fullbacks in the Championship. Defensively he isn't great as he is often out of position, however this wasn't helped by the fact that he rarely had cover from our right side of midfield. If he had a right winger helping him out I'm sure he'd be much more solid. He can stand off the winger too much - his defending in our 2-1 loss at home to Barnsley still gives me nightmares. He can be a threat at set-pieces, as he is decent in the air, and was unlucky to only score one goal this season (I won't count his second goal as it was a cross that crawled under the GK.) He played so much last season as he performed better than Pantsil at the start of the season so kept his place, then Nigel came in who just didn't play Pantsil at all. Maybe the lack of competition led to the drop in form.

Regarding the fees, he probably is worth more than £350k but if only one team if interested and we're willing to get rid then we don't have a lot of leverage. He's not exactly an up-and-coming RB as he is 25, and De Laet will be our first choice RB next season I'd imagine so he won't play regularly. Overall, if he performs as he did at the start of the season with regular cover from the RM then you've got a good player for a decent fee. If, on the other hand, his form doesn't pick up then you'll leak a fair few goals from down that side. He always tried his best for us so no hard feelings when he leaves, unlike Mills who we've finally managed to shift on a permanent transfer to Bolton. Not sure what the fee is but I'm glad he's gone, we'll probably push for James Chester now, although I can't see Hull selling him to us.

He doesn't get forward that often as he usually prefers to cut back and play the safe option. When he does get forward his delivery is hit and miss' date=' like most fullbacks in the Championship. Defensively he isn't great as he is often out of position, however this wasn't helped by the fact that he rarely had cover from our right side of midfield. If he had a right winger helping him out I'm sure he'd be much more solid. He can stand off the winger too much - his defending in our 2-1 loss at home to Barnsley still gives me nightmares.[/quote']

Sounds scarily like Paul Connolly for me who we're trying to get rid of. Seems scared to push forward, isn't attacking enough and no final ball. Likewise, Connolly's defending in our 4-1 loss away to Barnsley made me drink right through to the New Year. Fortunately the game was a 1pm KO on NYE so I didn't do myself too much harm. How is he for pace?

Sounds scarily like Paul Connolly for me who we're trying to get rid of. Seems scared to push forward' date=' isn't attacking enough and no final ball. Likewise, Connolly's defending in our 4-1 loss away to Barnsley made me drink right through to the New Year. Fortunately the game was a 1pm KO on NYE so I didn't do myself too much harm. How is he for pace?[/quote']

Both the goals we conceded to Barnsley resulted from a move down our right side, with Peltier putting no pressure on the crosser, leaving him free to plant a cross right on Andy Gray's head. He's usually not that bad though. I'd expect him to be better than Connolly. Perhaps I'm not giving him enough credit, but his last few months here were poor and that's what sticks in the mind. Fine, pace isn't an issue with him at all.

Cheers Jon, tbh for 350k we can't really go wrong he's got age on his side so hopefully Warnock can work on improving him defensively if that's what he needs maybe with Paddy Kenny in goal are defence will be more solid(hopefully).

We have just signed Greg Cunningham on a four year contract from Man City, He plays left back, which for us is a good sign as thats one of our weakest positions. Cant say ive seen him play. Any thoughts on him?

We have just signed Greg Cunningham on a four year contract from Man City' date=' He plays left back, which for us is a good sign as thats one of our weakest positions. Cant say ive seen him play. Any thoughts on him?[/quote']

He was alright when he with us, played a decent dozen games or so before he broke his leg. Definitely good enough for the Championship anyway, and he's only 21 so will improve. He's certainly better than McGivern anyway, who is god awful.

We have lost Jason Shackell for a little over a million. Terrible decision to sell one of the best centre backs in the division for little over what we paid for him, throwing into account Barnsleys bottom feeding sell on clause and we have been well and truly stitched up.

Bolton have brought Matt Mills for 2 million who a year previously had been acquired for 5 million..... Jason Shackell gets sold for a million and is hands down a better player.

Apparently we have someone lined up, he had better be a dominant centre back or we are screwed.

If we had kept Barker fit and kept Shackell at the club with the addition of the right midfielder and striker we need we would have been fighting for the playoffs, now we'll be lucky to make the top half.

Pretty bad times

£90K per week for Bridge is terrible.

Good for Brighton tho because they just pay £10K, I think this will be the last year Bridge gets a wage like that, Im pretty sure after he leaves City he will get half of that wage at the most.

£90K per week for Bridge is terrible.

Good for Brighton tho because they just pay £10K' date=' I think this will be the last year Bridge gets a wage like that, Im pretty sure after he leaves City he will get half of that wage at the most.[/quote']

£90k a week for Bridge? Hahahahaha, who in their right mind would pay him that? Oh yes, very rich Sheikhs :P

That is still really silly though.

Terriers confirm Clayton swoop

So, Clayton is on his way to Huddersfield. The majority of Leeds fans on twitter seem to have gone into meltdown over this one and I'm not entirely sure why. Warnock told us in May that the lad was on the transfer list and wasn't going to be part of his plans and then the fans go nuts when he's eventually sold.

The lad has a lot of potential and when he was good last season, he was very good but he had a tendency to go missing. I wish him well at Huddersfield but Warnock seems to be building a solid team and I'm trusting his judgement until I have reason not to.

Right now the number one priority is to build a team that will get us out of the division and when that is achieved, the team needs to be strengthened to stay in the division. Would Clayton be Premiership quality? I'm not so sure. We need to strengthen the CM position now we only have Green, Brown, Thomspon and Pugh that can play there so I'm interested to see what Warnock has up his sleeve.

Hopefully this takeover is a takeover and there's some cash there to improve the semi decent base we've already got.

Clayton should have never been transfer listed hes a decent player and young one with potential as you say Thack, unless we plan on playing one in midfield next season I don't see why we couldn't just offer him a few thousand more a week and kept him the fee we got was okay but still he won't be replaced with anyone as good for that fee.

The players we have Cm well the ones you mentioned..

Brown he's getting on, I don't rate him he might be okay for Championship but I've never been a massive fan.

Pugh I'm not so sure him and Brown or Green would be good enough at this level Cm.

Green all I've read isn't amazing alot of average and poor comments.

Thompson Im pretty sure I read he's going out on loan next season can't be 100% if he was the player I read the article about tho.

Personally I don't trust Warnock but then again i never have and I'm still not convinced I've never really liked him.

We really lack in CM we need Some players below 27/28 that can be here a few years have a time to work up a good understanding and a style of play we can't just keep replacing good players with whatever freebies are left avalilble. I think the thing that's ticked off most fans is that why have Huddlesfield been able to offer him something better than we could? He was only transfer listed when we wouldn't pay him a decent wage for this level. He clearly wanted to stay see him on Twitter talking about 'our' first game of the season.

This takeover better happen soon because I'm starting to worry the longer it takes the less hope I have about our chances this season we need to get players through the door some better players. The defence hopefully is shaping up well, maybe get Beckford back that would cheer me up if he's available at a reasonable fee, Resign Ross, Sell Barn Door Billy for free if need be he's just not needed.

Read that the Takeovers all but done and it's down to appointing a CEO before the deal is announced, the owners are Apparently for Barhain and are rich which has eased my doubts a little but these are Twitter rumors so....

Wayne Bridge to Brighton good deal that there only paying 10k, will be interesting to see how Messi ... Oh sorry bridge does this season :P