Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

i think warnock takes the prize for me.

and none of the teams that go up will be competing for our record which will stand forever lol.

Shefki kuqi is about as mobile as an iron bar so i dont think there would be any chance of him proving he is prem quality. Also the players you named to pair with him arnt good enough either.

Kenny miller might score you a wonder strike and live off of it for the rest of the season. Scotland is the place for him cos he aint consistant enough for the premier league.

I would prefer it if he never ever scored. You took 4 points off us and you only had 11! :mad:

The Albion certainly like doing in the hard way. Streets between the teams today, but we let them back in twice with daft defensive errors. Although the lad on loan from United looks a tidy player in the centre of the park.

Dorrans was sublime again, a tremendous free kick and hardly put a foot wrong at all. There was a period first half where he was absolutely unplayable, beating players for fun and moving the ball intelligently. For a player of his immense talent he puts in a commendable amount of work without the ball as well, I can't say enough about him.

Unfortunately a good win was soured by a small minority of our our 'support' best described as cretinous. Lost my rag with a bloke who pitched up for the first time this season in the seat next to me and spent the first half criticising Carson and the second Luke Moore. The only time he got to his feet was to lift two fingers at the latter and call him all the names under the sun when he came on. Utter, utter clown. Apparently my defence of Moore that you never boo a player in the stripes is the same as defending your granny if she was a murderer. That particular nugget left me speechless.

The Albion certainly like doing in the hard way. Streets between the teams today' date=' but we let them back in twice with daft defensive errors. Although the lad on loan from United looks a tidy player in the centre of the park.

Dorrans was sublime again, a tremendous free kick and hardly put a foot wrong at all. There was a period first half where he was absolutely unplayable, beating players for fun and moving the ball intelligently. For a player of his immense talent he puts in a commendable amount of work without the ball as well, I can't say enough about him.

Unfortunately a good win was soured by a small minority of our our 'support' best described as cretinous. Lost my rag with a bloke who pitched up for the first time this season in the seat next to me and spent the first half criticising Carson and the second Luke Moore. The only time he got to his feet was to lift two fingers at the latter and call him all the names under the sun when he came on. Utter, utter clown. Apparently my defence of Moore that you never boo a player in the stripes is the same as defending your granny if she was a murderer. That particular nugget left me speechless.[/quote']

How did Matt James play mate?

How did Matt James play mate?

Said to my brother he was Preston's stand out player. Found space fairly easily, good first touch and used the ball pretty well. Hard to judge exactly how good he could be when he's playing with bobbins like Richard Chaplow though.

Said to my brother he was Preston's stand out player. Found space fairly easily' date=' good first touch and used the ball pretty well. Hard to judge exactly how good he could be when he's playing with bobbins like Richard Chaplow though.[/quote']

Don't forget Darren Carter ;)

I just sent this email to the Football League Show:

Dear Manish, Steve and Idiotic Woman. I would like to complain about the format of your show. This is the Newcastle United show and the least I expect is 20 minutes of highlights about our magnificent comeback while the rest of the Football League can be compressed into 20 seconds. Please take note of my suggestions and sort this out next week.

Hopefully they read it on the show.

Don't forget Darren Carter ;)

Didn't get on' date=' fortunately. Having been subjected to both of them regularly I can only express my sympathy for you. Shocking footballers.

In all seriousness if you can keep hold of Lonergan, St Ledger and Wallace and build around them there's a quality base there for next season, with a few solid enough pros like Davidson or Sedgwick. Not a million miles away.

I just sent this email to the Football League Show:

Hopefully they read it on the show.

:D I believe it's the Graham Dorrans show this week.

Edit: Less of the Lizzie hating though, she's a fine bit of shameful lustage.

Edit: Less of the Lizzie hating though' date=' she's a fine bit of shameful lustage.[/quote']

I think Jacqui Oatley is a better looker, but when she does commentary it's like when your mum watches the football with you and shouts and talks as if she knows what she's on about. Lizzie seems more knowledgeable than that.

I think Jacqui Oatley is a better looker' date=' but when she does commentary it's like when your mum watches the football with you and shouts and talks as if she knows what she's on about. Lizzie seems more knowledgeable than that.[/quote']

:D Aye, spot on.

Unfortunately finding out Jacqui Oatley is a Wolves fan has completely ruined her for me.

I'm not even going to bother typing out a response

Do Bristol fans really think they can attract someone like Curbishley? I'm genuinely asking' date=' not saying you can't. I haven't got the foggiest about the clubs infrastructure or financial health, but as an outsider it looks like a long shot at best.[/quote']

I think we could attractive Curbishley, George Burley who imo is as big a name as Curbishley has pubicly said he WANTS the job, not saying i want Burley but he is quite a big named manager having already managed in some top jobs so that shows we are a club that finally people are taking seriously.

Finacially no we are not a huge club but we are by no means the smallest in that sense in the Championship, i think we lie about mid-table in terms of spending at Championship level so any new manager knows he will be backed reasonably well. We have spent a decent amount of money over the last few years, Nicky maynard for £2.25 million shows the chairman will spend big if needed.

The new stadium i think is the only thing stopping us being a real big club at this level, when that is built i honestly think we can compete with anyone in this league.

Just a quick shout to any Newcastle fans on here, did any of you come down yesterday? Good following as we expected and you made a decent amount of noise, good banter pre match aswell, spoke to a few of your fans and they seemed a decent bunch. One thing that suprised me was the lack of Geordie accents tho?! Quite a few of your fans didnt appear to come from Newcastle which did suprise me..

Anyway good point for us, would have taken 2-2 before the game but was a bit gutted considering we went 2 up. Think we will do enough to stay up tbh we only need about 4 or 5 more points to do it!

Just a quick shout to any Newcastle fans on here' date=' did any of you come down yesterday? Good following as we expected and you made a decent amount of noise, good banter pre match aswell, spoke to a few of your fans and they seemed a decent bunch. One thing that suprised me was the lack of Geordie accents tho?! Quite a few of your fans didnt appear to come from Newcastle which did suprise me..

Anyway good point for us, would have taken 2-2 before the game but was a bit gutted considering we went 2 up. Think we will do enough to stay up tbh we only need about 4 or 5 more points to do it![/quote']

I don't know about anyone else but I am not from in Newcastle. I live in a town nearer the coast but still in the North East area. I can talk like a geordie if I ever need to. :P

yanks listen up these are the signings i want in for the start of next season. You didnt sell the club so now you gotta invest.

nicky hunt, chris riggot, darren ambrose, charlie adam, michael tongue and gary hooper.

sell kris commons and get rid of connolly. retire sav and give barker the armband.

why oh why didnt they sell us back to gadsby. grumble grumble.

Swansea sign David Edgar on-loan from Burnley!

He's expected to start tonight game away at Barnsley' date='

Very happy with this buy, as we need a solid defender with only 4 fully fit defenders at the moment

Is he any good NUFC Fans?[/font']

He played well for us in a few games (mostly as a left back). I think he will do well for you at this level but is out of his depth in the Premiership.

yanks listen up these are the signings i want in for the start of next season. You didnt sell the club so now you gotta invest.

nicky hunt' date=' chris riggot, darren ambrose, charlie adam, michael tongue and gary hooper.

sell kris commons and get rid of connolly. retire sav and give barker the armband.

why oh why didnt they sell us back to gadsby. grumble grumble.[/quote']

Couple of points:

The Gadsby Saga:

I believe we have the best businessmen in the world in charge of our club, and I trust these people 100%. Gadsby has been in charge of us twice now, and quite frankly he pretty much destroyed us at both times of asking, yes he got us up in his second reign, but look at us now, we're back to square one. At least with GSE, we are going to have stability, and they know how to run a football club and they know how to make something big, successful, and it's going to take time. Gadsby only wants to buy us for the Pride Plaza anyway, which in my opinion is the biggest waste of time in the world!! So as long as we keep the Yanks in, then the better and stronger we will be in the long term. We must not forget, its the best we have been finnancially for a long long time, and the Yanks are still trying to get rid of the Brown stuff which Gadsby left behind last time.

Money for Transfers:

Realistically, we need to be looking at solid, no nonsense players in my opinion. Shaun Barker is the perfect example, and I think yesterday Tom Glick did confirm that he is prepared to spend money for the right price, but isn't going to spend money stupidly to put us back into the brown stuff. He also said that he is prepared to spend anything around the same price of Shaun Barker (£1m) IF 1.) Its right for the club and 2.) Its going to make our playing squad much better.

Transfer Targets:

Nicky Hunt - A realistic loan target I feel, but not permanent. His wages are through the roof and a rumoured to be around 25k a week. As we all know we are trying to cut the wage bill down, and this wouldn't be a clever move if we did sign him permanently, but a loan deal as of current is realistic.

Chris Riggot - This is a realistic target. If he did come back he would be absolutely brilliant alongside Barker - a central defensive partnership made in heaven. Would love to see him come back to us as well. He's a brilliant player.

Darren Ambrose - Yes, Crystal Palace are cash strapped but I honestly think that he'll be too much for us. He'll go to a top end championship side or even a lower Premier League side in my opinion. Hes a very good player.

Charlie Adam - Unrealistic. He'll be in the Premier League next season in my opinion. Hes a very good player and won't be in the Championship for much longer.

Michael Tonge - Realistic - we can snap him up for £1m maximum I think. Hes a very good player and has made a huge difference to us in midfield.

Gary Hooper - Now I would like to see him in a Derby shirt. Hes a very versitile player and would be something different up front. He has pace but he may be on the pricy side of things. But we'll see.

I'd like to see Thompson from Shorpe to come to Derby, who players on the Left Wing. He played very well when he came to Pride Park and may be an interesting player. Bobby Hassel may also be a sensible target, along with getting Sunu back on loan, and maybe even Aaron McLean or even Mackail - Smith from Peterborough, but apart from that, its up to Nigel, and we all know where he likes to look for signings... But I trust him in what he is doing.

Getting Rid of Dead Wood:

Lee Croft, Gary Teale, Lee Hendrie, Luke Varney and Paul Connolly all DEFINATELY need to go. The offer absolutely nothing and need to be shipped out. The whole "Wingers" thing at the start of the season which Clough wanted to play, really didn't work, and Lee Croft has desperately under achieved and has been a huge flop. As for Gary Teale, do I need to explain? Lee Hendrie isn't any better than what we have at the moment, Varney just can't perform or even score for Derby, and Paul Connolly must be the most 1 dimensional player in the world. It is important Clough doesn't bring in anymore dead wood.

Big Name Rumours:

If we get the same names cropping up leaving for example the same old big names, Kris Commons, Rob Hulse and Miles Addison, let them go.... for the right price! The Yanks are not stupid, and they will know if they get the right offer for these players, then they will accept. No doubt about it. They know if the offer isn't good enough then they know it isn't right for the club. We should trust them. As for me wanting them to leave, no. I don't want our big name players to leave, but if we get offered stupid money for them, then I don't see why not. But It would be extrmely hard to replace Commons in my opinion. Yes, he always injured, but hes the only player who causes any kind of spark, and we do look pretty toothless up front without him. Porter can replace Hulse easily, while at the moment, we look solid defensively and Addison probably wouldn't get in the side at CB at the moment, but he may be useful in the defensive midfield position instead of Savage. It would help if we signed another DM I think.

The Robbie Savage Saga:

We all know that Sav is getting on abit, and I feel that its time for him to step back and let the others have a go. Lets face it, he can't last a full 90 minutes anymore, never mind the full season. This is where I feel we need to strengthen though. We need to bring in a Defensive midfielder to replace Savage. Someone like Seth Johnson, who is hard in the tackle, and possibly a creative midifielder who can spread the ball. Savage does in my opinion need to give Barker the armband, as Barker is a natural leader and is our best player by a clear mile. No competition.

So their are my views on the whole Derby County stuff

I'd also like to add - TOMMY SMITH! PLEASE COME BACK!

that was a great read wozza. I know what your saying about the yanks. Id like english owners is what im getting at i suppose but if they invest in the correct areas then i'll be happy.

Maybe my transfer targets were a little far fetched but a few of them such as riggott, ambrose, hooper and tongue should be definate targets for us.

If we buy hooper it means he cant score against us anymore lol.

i wouldnt mind david cotterill either however my guess is he's also out of our range currently.

I liked lee croft, i think he could still be a good player for us he just needs game time.

and to add, COME BACK TOMMY SMITH!! haha

Vital, vital win tonight. The first-half was absolutely dreadful viewing; it really was painful on the eyes. After the break, the team showed a bit more urgency and willingness to win which, in turn, got the crowd behind them. We had a really good 20-minute spell in which Preston loanee Eddie Nolan scored a lovely goal, turning inside from the right and shooting past Loach at his near post. But we lost all momentum when Potter foolishly mis-timed his jump for a header on the edge of the area and ended up gifting Watford a free-kick when the ball struck his arm. Not the best idea when they've got Man Utd and Arsenal loanees, and Tom Cleverley stepped up to beautifully put the ball into the top corner. After that, the game died and a draw looked inevitable. But, a great ball out wide by who, I don't know, found Varney in a tonne of space. He'd had a bit of a stinker all night long but he advanced on goal and hit a terrific shot to win the match. Cue delirious celebrations, because that really could be a goal that keeps us in the league.

I'd also like to give Darren Purse a bit of credit for his recent performances, which have been excellent. He started the season on very dodgy ground with the Wednesday fans with a string of iffy performances, but he's really stepping up to the plate right now, kudos to him.