Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Official Npower Championship Thread

Leeds are apparently set to sign Luke Murphy subject to a medical beating Wolves and Blackburn to the signing. Really hope this is true!
Leeds United can confirm the signing of Luke Murphy from Crewe Alexandra.

Central midfielder Luke finalised the terms of his switch on Monday and has signed a three-year contract.

The club beat off interest from a number of clubs to capture the signature of the highly-rated 23-year-old and United boss Brian McDermott was pleased to welcome him to Thorp Arch.

"Myself, the owners, the staff, the players, and I'm sure and I can speak for the supporters on this one, are absolutely delighted to sign Luke," said the boss.

"He's a player I've known for a long time, I've watched his career progress, and I feel he was the best player in his division last year.

"Luke certainly fits the profile of player that we're looking to attract: He is young, hungry, wants to work hard and very obviously talented.

"I'd like to thank the owners for making this deal happen. We had spoken about Luke earlier in the summer being one for the key signings we're looking to make."

Newly-appointed chairman Salah Nooruddin said: "We're delighted to complete the deal for Luke. There was plenty of interest in him from other clubs, but Brian had never made any secret about his desire to bring Luke here, and we're pleased we were able to get things done and welcome a very good addition to our squad."

Luke is a graduate of Crewe's Academy system and, since making his debut as an 18-year-old, he made 186 appearances for the club, scoring 25 goals.

Managing director David Haigh was also on hand to welcome the player to the club and he said: "It's great to welcome Luke aboard. He is a player that Brian had identified some time ago and we have all worked very hard to make this happen."

Luke completed the formalities of his move on Monday and will train with his new team-mates for the first time on Tuesday.

Luke becomes the club's second signing of the summer - Matt Smith has also joined, from Oldham - and it's anticipated that at least one more new face will be added before the first team squad head for Slovenia on pre-season tour on Monday.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Leeds United can confirm the signing of Luke Murphy from Crewe Alexandra.

Central midfielder Luke finalised the terms of his switch on Monday and has signed a three-year contract.

The club beat off interest from a number of clubs to capture the signature of the highly-rated 23-year-old and United boss Brian McDermott was pleased to welcome him to Thorp Arch.

"Myself' date=' the owners, the staff, the players, and I'm sure and I can speak for the supporters on this one, are absolutely delighted to sign Luke," said the boss.

"He's a player I've known for a long time, I've watched his career progress, and I feel he was the best player in his division last year.

"Luke certainly fits the profile of player that we're looking to attract: He is young, hungry, wants to work hard and very obviously talented.

"I'd like to thank the owners for making this deal happen. We had spoken about Luke earlier in the summer being one for the key signings we're looking to make."

Newly-appointed chairman Salah Nooruddin said: "We're delighted to complete the deal for Luke. There was plenty of interest in him from other clubs, but Brian had never made any secret about his desire to bring Luke here, and we're pleased we were able to get things done and welcome a very good addition to our squad."

Luke is a graduate of Crewe's Academy system and, since making his debut as an 18-year-old, he made 186 appearances for the club, scoring 25 goals.

Managing director David Haigh was also on hand to welcome the player to the club and he said: "It's great to welcome Luke aboard. He is a player that Brian had identified some time ago and we have all worked very hard to make this happen."

Luke completed the formalities of his move on Monday and will train with his new team-mates for the first time on Tuesday.

Luke becomes the club's second signing of the summer - Matt Smith has also joined, from Oldham - and it's anticipated that at least one more new face will be added before the first team squad head for Slovenia on pre-season tour on Monday.[/quote']

yes weve actually invested money in a decent player first 1mil signing in 8years. Don't know where the money has come from consedering we were meant to be skint days before. Anyway it could signal investment, some day it was to be a Leeds fan positivity a good signing and Ken Bates leaves hisi role as chairman :)

As well as that we have just confirmed Noel Hunt feel we need a cb, winger and quality striker now and we could be a decent side, much better then last year anyway.

Good signing for Watford as well Lewis McGugan sure they beat off some competition to sign him.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happened in a while but Forest have signed Jack Hobbs I believe, I think that will be a good signing for them. Also apparently QPR have almost signed Hooper, still throwing money around, hopefully it proves to be a tougher division to them then they think it will, like the championship tends to do.

Early on as the season approaches though i feel clubs such as QPR, Leicester, Bolton, Brighton, Wigan, Reading etc look to have good chances, it looks an even closer league this year:eek:

Jermaine Beckford has joined Bolton from Leicester.

Thoughts?

If they make him there main striker and he plays a lot of games for Bolton I can't see them going wrong there. It says he has signed for an undisclosed fee, anything under £1m I think is a good price but if it is nearing £2-2.5m then I'm unsure.

Thoughts?

If they make him there main striker and he plays a lot of games for Bolton I can't see them going wrong there. It says he has signed for an undisclosed fee' date=' anything under £1m I think is a good price but if it is nearing £2-2.5m then I'm unsure.[/quote']

He's not really been the same player since he left Leeds. At Leeds he was unstoppable, which I'd like to see again if possible. I hope it works out for him.

Thoughts?

If they make him there main striker and he plays a lot of games for Bolton I can't see them going wrong there. It says he has signed for an undisclosed fee' date=' anything under £1m I think is a good price but if it is nearing £2-2.5m then I'm unsure.[/quote']

After a little digging it seems the fee is believed to be in the region on 800k , not a bad move by Bolton but i personally have always felt he was overhyped although championship is about his level.

Would of loved Becks back, still feel we a goalscorer now Becchio has left, though for Bolton he has worked with Freedman at Leeds before so I feel he can get the best out of him. If he does he'll score you 20 goals with the squad Bolton have and that will give them a chance. Good signing.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if Stuart Holden has up another serious injury :( Poor lad!

He had (and hopefully still has) such a bright future ahead of him but these injuries keep weighing him and his potential down. Hopefully it'll be third time lucky when he comes back.

Hahahaha Mick McCarthy was just asked which singer he would sign.

He replied "It wouldn't be some geezer from One Direction. It would either be Rihanna or Beyonce' date=' give us something to look at as well as a bit of talent"

Amazing Mick, amazing[/quote']

Haha quality.

You imagine SM fanboy now will turn into SM fangirl now that One Direction member join Doncaster :D ?

Hahahaha Mick McCarthy was just asked which singer he would sign.

He replied "It wouldn't be some geezer from One Direction. It would either be Rihanna or Beyonce' date=' give us something to look at as well as a bit of talent"

Amazing Mick, amazing[/quote']

Great answer was releshing getting to see El Hadj Diouf or Ruddy Austin against him but it seems he will only play for development squad.

With the new season around the corner i have optimism especially as GFH have got rid of Bates and now look like buying back Elland Road *crosses fingers. Hopefully the investment if true will allow us to push on. Now for this weekend it looks like we have got ourselves a 33'000 plus attendance.

As it starts tommorow my predictions are as follows.

Promotion: QPR, Reading and Bolton with Forest and Brighton close by

Outsiders:Ipswich

Relegation: Doncaster, Huddersfield and Yeovil

Heres to another crazy season;)

Really fear for Burnley , I cannot see where they are going to get goals from as I certainly wouldnt rely on Vokes and Ings lol

Ross wallace is a very good player and Trippier is probably the best RB in the championship in my opinion :D

Bolton have a very strong squad and a decent manager so I expect a good season from them :)

Bolton 2-1 Burnley :D