Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Re: The Official Npower Championship Thread

what's happening with the cheats at Preston?

keep us informed.

I feel sorry for the club and fans ' date=' I hope the punishment is severe but doesn't affect the club too much.[/quote']

Check the L1&2 thread buddy, there's a little bit about it on there :)

I'm of the opinion that they're innocent until proven guilty, but I'll be disappointed if they're found to be guilty. It'd be unacceptable, but some sources in the media have overreacted and called the players in question "match fixers", which isn't the case at all. So bloody annoying, especially coming from The Sun.

Check the L1&2 thread buddy' date=' there's a little bit about it on there :)

I'm of the opinion that they're innocent until proven guilty, but I'll be disappointed if they're found to be guilty. It'd be unacceptable, but some sources in the media have overreacted and called the players in question "match fixers", which isn't the case at all. So bloody annoying, especially coming from The Sun.[/quote']

but how do you get your name involved in such a thing if you are innocent.

I couldn't believe Millwall took DJ Campbell on loan, I don't know what reaction the fans had but I would of told him where to go.

I truly hope you achieve a record low points finish. A single number finish would be fantastic' date=' but 10 is ok too since it's still less than Derby's 11 in 2007/08.

Not bitter down here in League 1 or anything, promise.[/quote']

With billionaire owners and King Nigel at the helm I really can't see it, but you never know! Just want to break the 100 point barrier now and hopefully go the rest of the season unbeaten.

Good to see you're still kicking around Adam! How's life in Northam...sorry, Coventry?

With billionaire owners and King Nigel at the helm I really can't see it' date=' but you never know! Just want to break the 100 point barrier now and hopefully go the rest of the season unbeaten.

Good to see you're still kicking around Adam! How's life in Northam...sorry, Coventry?[/quote']

Grumble grumble grumble...bloody good team that I hate. :mad:

Coventry is as strange as always. It's weird getting used to life without being able to watch a football team. I honestly believe no team in the UK have worse owners than our sorry lot. Still, at least it's easier to park at the Ricoh on a Saturday now...so yeah, small comforts. B)

Thought I would come back and talk about Derby. I know, you only sing when you're winning!

We've looked good this season since the Mac has returned. We play proper football. We've made some good solid additions (Wisdom, Dawkins, Bamford) and we have a young and hungry side which haven't been in this situation before which may end up being their downfall. We will certainly finish in the play offs but in which position that is still up for debate.

We have the easiest run in of all the top end sides (Doncaster, Barnsley, Watford, Leeds) - some arguing that we could catch Burnley seeing as they have a fairly tough run in (Blackpool, Reading, Wigan, Ipswich) but I think they're just being a bit too optimistic seeing as they only need 5 points out of a possible 12.

All in all a good season and hopefully we'll be going to Wembley.

PS As you can imagine the Forest demolition has been the highlight of the season if not the highlight of the century. :)

PPS before you jump on this Jonaldinho I did go to the 4-1 Leicester game this season and it was by far our worst performance under SM. Pleased Leicester have gone up. Definitely the best side in the Championship by a long way.

Forest have sacked Billy Davies. Awful decision.

Absolutely. I thought he was doing a great job. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if I was to put myself in the position of a Forest fan, I would be saying that sacking him is absolutely the right decision and the club under Fawaz is turning into a bit of a joke.

Billy completely lost the fans and the support of the board. He didn't exactly help himself when he banned the press from any interviews. It was a disaster waiting to happen. He didn't even come out an apologise for the 5-0 thumping they got from us which says it all because of this "interview ban". Yes he did have injuries but he constantly used it as an excuse and the gumps just got tired of hearing the same old answer.

The problem with Billy Davies is that he is unbelievably arrogant and whenever anything does go wrong it is never his fault. If you look at his time at his previous clubs, mainly Derby and Preston, he brings instant success, but eventually he will fail, start asking for more investment and when he doesn't get what he wants he will publicly go out and attack the board. In my opinion no club in their right mind will want to employ him again due to his track record. He is a poisonous dwarf and once he left the three clubs he has managed (Preston, Derby, Forest) he left them in a worse position than the one he took over. You only have to look at Preston now, we have only just recovered from the Premier League fiasco.

All in all, I don't think we'll be seeing Billy in management anytime soon.

As for Pearce being appointed, I find it rather bizzare that he has to wait until the end of the season. If Gary Brazil was to take Forest to the play offs and miraculously took them up (unlikely I know), what are they going to do then? Personally I think its a pretty below par appointment and they will struggle next year.

I think you need to appreciate that whilst Billy Davies isn't perfect, before several injuries to key players hit they were on course to push for automatic promotion and to certainly get in the play-offs. For a side that has struggled to get to those heights since his exit, I think it was an achievement.

I don't think Davies handled the media well at all, and all in all he's not a very nice person but I don't think they'd have gone far wrong with Billy Davies. No, it's never his fault, yes he always wants more investment but he's never seemed to go far wrong with results on the pitch. In his five full seasons in the Championship, he's got to five play-off semi finals, two play-off finals and one promotion. I think that they'd have continued to push for the play-offs this season, and done likewise next season. If they were going to make a radical change to the structure of the club then fair enough, but I think Billy Davies is far more likely to get success at this level than Stuart Pearce.

Well done to Leicester on promotion, whenever I've seen them they've been excellent and I think they've got plenty of players who can easily make the step up. It will be interesting to see who they bring in during the summer, if they don't mess with the squad too much then I think they'll do very well next season.

I think you need to appreciate that whilst Billy Davies isn't perfect' date=' before several injuries to key players hit they were on course to push for automatic promotion and to certainly get in the play-offs. For a side that has struggled to get to those heights since his exit, I think it was an achievement.

I don't think Davies handled the media well at all, and all in all he's not a very nice person but I don't think they'd have gone far wrong with Billy Davies. No, it's never his fault, yes he always wants more investment but he's never seemed to go far wrong with results on the pitch. In his five full seasons in the Championship, he's got to five play-off semi finals, two play-off finals and one promotion. I think that they'd have continued to push for the play-offs this season, and done likewise next season. If they were going to make a radical change to the structure of the club then fair enough, but I think Billy Davies is far more likely to get success at this level than Stuart Pearce.

Well done to Leicester on promotion, whenever I've seen them they've been excellent and I think they've got plenty of players who can easily make the step up. It will be interesting to see who they bring in during the summer, if they don't mess with the squad too much then I think they'll do very well next season.[/quote']

This may be a bold statement but I would go as far as saying even if Forest didn't have the injuries they have had, I think Billy Davies would have still been sacked. Gradually over time he cut himself and the players off from the fans and the board which meant the club was almost split into two. As good as Billy's record is in the Championship and his constant trick of making bang average players (which may I add most of their squad is bang average apart from the odd one or two) look a million dollars, he doesn't help himself by picking fights with people internally. I think if he did stay he would of completely ruined that club (Not that I'm complaining!)

I also agree that Leicester have been the best side in the league by a long way.

Grumble grumble grumble...bloody good team that I hate. :mad:

Coventry is as strange as always. It's weird getting used to life without being able to watch a football team. I honestly believe no team in the UK have worse owners than our sorry lot. Still' date=' at least it's easier to park at the Ricoh on a Saturday now...so yeah, small comforts. B)[/quote']

Hehe yeah, maybe the mighty Sky Blues will rise again one day! I missed your elephant this season, his forward rolls always made me laugh.

Thought I would come back and talk about Derby. I know' date=' you only sing when you're winning!

We've looked good this season since the Mac has returned. We play proper football. We've made some good solid additions (Wisdom, Dawkins, Bamford) and we have a young and hungry side which haven't been in this situation before which may end up being their downfall. We will certainly finish in the play offs but in which position that is still up for debate.

We have the easiest run in of all the top end sides (Doncaster, Barnsley, Watford, Leeds) - some arguing that we could catch Burnley seeing as they have a fairly tough run in (Blackpool, Reading, Wigan, Ipswich) but I think they're just being a bit too optimistic seeing as they only need 5 points out of a possible 12.

All in all a good season and hopefully we'll be going to Wembley.

PS As you can imagine the Forest demolition has been the highlight of the season if not the highlight of the century. :)

PPS before you jump on this Jonaldinho I did go to the 4-1 Leicester game this season and it was by far our worst performance under SM. Pleased Leicester have gone up. Definitely the best side in the Championship by a long way.[/quote']

You've done brilliantly since SM took over, much better than I was expecting. I still fancy Wigan to win the play-offs mind, but it bodes well for next season

Haha we were awesome in that game, although I think your tactics played into our hands. We've beaten any time who've actually tried to attack us this season (bar Brighton, but let's not talk about that.)

I'm going to miss you giving us 6 points and us putting 4 goals past you at the KP next season :( Maybe you'll come up with us and we can continue the pattern!

Well done to Leicester on promotion' date=' whenever I've seen them they've been excellent and I think they've got plenty of players who can easily make the step up. It will be interesting to see who they bring in during the summer, if they don't mess with the squad too much then I think they'll do very well next season.[/quote']

Why thank you Jack. I agree that we have a few players who I'm certain will make the step up (Drinkwater, James and Mahrez being the obvious three for me), but we're going to have to strengthen, specifically the defence. We're leaking goals, especially from set-pieces, so IMO we need at least a CB and a LB.

And on Davies, I think Forest were right to sack him. The club was an embarrassment from the outside, and from what I've heard he'd lost the dressing room. I don't put the number of injuries they've had down to bad luck either. There's a reason us and Burnley have had so few injuries this season, it's all about the sports science. Forest just have injury after injury, it's too frequent to just be unfortunate. I'm also not quite sure why the Forest faithful are so far up Fawaz's rear. As I'm sure Woz is aware, there was a "Fawaz day" held quite recently, which seems to me to be quite strange as he doesn't look like he has any clue what he's doing. The appointment of Pearce I'd put down to appease the fans, he's an average manager and I think they'll be mid-table next season.

What a season :D

Congratulations to Burnley on promotion. Rivalry aside' date=' they deserve it! Sean Dyche has done excellent this season, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the PL next season.[/quote']

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ings, Volkes and Trippier do in the PL if they keep hold of them.

Sean Dyche has done very well, i like him as a manager.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ings' date=' Volkes and Trippier do in the PL if they keep hold of them.

Sean Dyche has done very well, i like him as a manager.[/quote']

Yeah they have some really good players too, as you said. Ings and Vokes are fantastic strikers, albeit the PL is an entire different level to The Championship. With that being said, I would expect those two to be (two of) Burnley's stand out players next season, providing they are still at the club.

As we've seen in the past, through the likes of Jay Rodriguez, Lambert and Holt, it's very possible for Championship strikers to make the step up to PL level in a short amount of time. I'd also expect Jordan Rhodes to be in the PL next season, whether that be with Blackburn or not. I think he's also a player that can make it at that level.

With all of this being said, I'm sure there will a few clubs sniffing around Leicester, Burnley and the play off sides, but I would expect players of the respective clubs that go up to stay with their current clubs. You never know though.

Edit: I read somewhere that Kasper Schmeichel's contract finishes at the end of the season. He'd be one of the first players I'd make sure was staying if I was Leicester, although they probably have tried and will continue to do so.

Yeah they have some really good players too' date=' as you said. Ings and Vokes are fantastic strikers, albeit the PL is an entire different level to The Championship. With that being said, I would expect those two to be (two of) Burnley's stand out players next season, providing they are still at the club.

As we've seen in the past, through the likes of Jay Rodriguez, Lambert and Holt, it's very possible for Championship strikers to make the step up to PL level in a short amount of time. I'd also expect Jordan Rhodes to be in the PL next season, whether that be with Blackburn or not. I think he's also a player that can make it at that level.

With all of this being said, I'm sure there will a few clubs sniffing around Leicester, Burnley and the play off sides, but I would expect players of the respective clubs that go up to stay with their current clubs. You never know though.

Edit: I read somewhere that Kasper Schmeichel's contract finishes at the end of the season. He'd be one of the first players I'd make sure was staying if I was Leicester, although they probably have tried and will continue to do so.[/quote']

Definitely with Kasper, he is an excellent keeper and will help Leicester no end in the PL.

With Ings and Volkes i meant to say as a partnership in the PL, obviously if they don't stay at Burnley i would expect them to go to another PL club.

Your quite right with Championship strikers being able to step up a level and do well, Rodriguez is a very good example having been at Burnley previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Garath McCleary just scored a belter.

Think Zidane vs Leverkusen in 2002. What a goal

Brilliant finish!

Birmingham one down rugger... I take it you're happy :P

Edit: probably over for Blackburn now, albeit they did only have a slim chance before :(

Garath McCleary just scored a belter.

Think Zidane vs Leverkusen in 2002. What a goal

Great goal, a shame though I want Brighton to get in the play off's and get promoted, just down the road on the train another away game for Liverpool I could Definetley go to Nd the nightlife ain't to bad either!! :P

Brilliant finish!

Birmingham one down rugger... I take it you're happy :P

Edit: probably over for Blackburn now' date=' albeit they did only have a slim chance before :([/quote']

Although it's not nice to see teams go down, Bluenose fans always stick it to us over literally anything (which I guess comes with rivalry) although some things like racially abusing Collymore amongst others is pretty low.

There won't be any tears shed tonight for them put it that way.

There may be some for us though if we don't beat Hull :o

Oh dear Birmingham :o

What an absolutely catastrophic fall from grace' date=' feel sorry for them they are a big club who have been absolutely destroyed by the ownership.

Game on again!! 2-1 Zigic

Ibe has been brilliant since he came on :)[/quote']

Ray have you been drinking? Brummies a big club?! :confused: