Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Boro were awful. I'll assume they've been playing better than that recently and just had the wind took out of their sales by results beforehand all but closing the playoff door for them. One of the worst away followings we've had this season as well' date=' I know there are reasons for that (on terrestrial TV, saft kick off time), but that really was a shambles for a club right out of the Premier League.

Really pleased with that performance, everyone was pretty solid and it's nice to keep some momentum going. Cox was good, classy goal. Bednar was better. And Mulumbu is a beast. B) Just don't ask him to pass.[/quote']

Talking of Mulumbu, as a regular watcher of WBA, what role do you think he'll play next season? Obviously it'll be tough to answer conclusively what with the inevitable flurry of summer signings, but I was just wondering whether he's likely to command a starting spot. I have him in one set-up and am considering flogging him.

On the same sort of topic (regarding Mulumbu's place in the side), where exactly does Jara play best? He was awesome at Hillsborough alongside Dorrans in central-midfield, but I thought he was more of a defender? And has he been injured lately? I haven't noticed him in the starting line-ups recently (not that I check every game).

Has that Index taken into account Sean St Ledger playing under Gareth Southgate at 'Boro? Because that's probably why he's there. He was poor under Strachan and since he returned he thinks he's too good for Preston' date=' when he's been at fault for many of our goals conceded in the last few games.[/quote']

Apparently he was awful at Middlesbrough. These stats are from anything down to successful passes or tackles. I wonder how Nolan is top. :confused:

Boro were awful. I'll assume they've been playing better than that recently and just had the wind took out of their sales by results beforehand all but closing the playoff door for them. One of the worst away followings we've had this season as well' date=' I know there are reasons for that (on terrestrial TV, saft kick off time), but that really was a shambles for a club right out of the Premier League.

Really pleased with that performance, everyone was pretty solid and it's nice to keep some momentum going. Cox was good, classy goal. Bednar was better. And Mulumbu is a beast. B) Just don't ask him to pass.[/quote']

Middlesbrough always have rubbish attendances/away support. Its nothing new.

Talking of Mulumbu' date=' as a regular watcher of WBA, what role do you think he'll play next season? Obviously it'll be tough to answer conclusively what with the inevitable flurry of summer signings, but I was just wondering whether he's likely to command a starting spot. I have him in one set-up and am considering flogging him.

On the same sort of topic (regarding Mulumbu's place in the side), where exactly does Jara play best? He was awesome at Hillsborough alongside Dorrans in central-midfield, but I thought he was more of a defender? And has he been injured lately? I haven't noticed him in the starting line-ups recently (not that I check every game).[/quote']

You're right, it is difficult to say. ;) Seriously though, giving it my best guess I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a part to play. The Chairman has suggested that we'll be going after fewer players on bigger wages this time, and there are simply far more important areas to strengthen than his. We need two full backs, a centre half and a striker or two. Even if there's anything left in the kitty after that a midfielder to play alongside Dorrans, rather than behind him, would be the priority. The worry I'd have with him is that his distribution may get found out in the Prem, but with a 5-man midfield he should, in theory, always have an option fairly close at hand on which to offload. But in SM terms I'd probably reluctantly suggest flogging him, Jara's a superior player and will probably get the nod more often, with Reid and Watson looking likely midfield additions in the summer he probably won't be a regular.

Jara was bought as a centre half supposedly, but I don't think he's physical enough for that role in English football. He was superb in midfield and personally I'd say that's his best position but at the time shifting him to right back ticked a few boxes. We missed Mulumbu's energy but playing them together left us a bit short on attacking options in the middle and dropping Jara wasn't really on the cards as he was one of our better players. Zuiverloon was struggling at the time and he played the sacrificial lamb a bit to accommodate Gonzo. He's fine at right back in this division, very solid positionally, good in one on one situations and sound distribution, but I'd worried about a relative lack of pace in an already slow back four at the higher level.

Funnily enough I think the answer might be for them to share the holding role to an extent next season. When we're expected to force the pace a little more at home I think you'd have to go with Jara as he can collect the ball off the back four and bang it out to full backs accurately and with pace. But there's definately a role for Mulumbu in games where we aren't going to see as much of the ball. He's just relentless when it comes to trying to win the ball back and that's a handy trait when visiting places like Fulham where they keep the ball so well.

Edit: Should also mention that Jara's out for the season, otherwise he'd still be a nailed on starter. Optimistic that he'll be fit for Chile by the time the WC rolls around though.

You're right' date=' it is difficult to say. ;) Seriously though, giving it my best guess I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a part to play. The Chairman has suggested that we'll be going after fewer players on bigger wages this time, and there are simply far more important areas to strengthen than his. We need two full backs, a centre half and a striker or two. Even if there's anything left in the kitty after that a midfielder to play alongside Dorrans, rather than behind him, would be the priority. The worry I'd have with him is that his distribution may get found out in the Prem, but with a 5-man midfield he should, in theory, always have an option fairly close at hand on which to offload. But in SM terms I'd probably reluctantly suggest flogging him, Jara's a superior player and will probably get the nod more often, with Reid and Watson looking likely midfield additions in the summer he probably won't be a regular.

Jara was bought as a centre half supposedly, but I don't think he's physical enough for that role in English football. He was superb in midfield and personally I'd say that's his best position but at the time shifting him to right back ticked a few boxes. We missed Mulumbu's energy but playing them together left us a bit short on attacking options in the middle and dropping Jara wasn't really on the cards as he was one of our better players. Zuiverloon was struggling at the time and he played the sacrificial lamb a bit to accommodate Gonzo. He's fine at right back in this division, very solid positionally, good in one on one situations and sound distribution, but I'd worried about a relative lack of pace in an already slow back four at the higher level.

Funnily enough I think the answer might be for them to share the holding role to an extent next season. When we're expected to force the pace a little more at home I think you'd have to go with Jara as he can collect the ball off the back four and bang it out to full backs accurately and with pace. But there's definately a role for Mulumbu in games where we aren't going to see as much of the ball. He's just relentless when it comes to trying to win the ball back and that's a handy trait when visiting places like Fulham where they keep the ball so well.

Edit: Should also mention that Jara's out for the season, otherwise he'd still be a nailed on starter. Optimistic that he'll be fit for Chile by the time the WC rolls around though.[/quote']

I think Jara could make the Barnsley game at the end of the season?

Oh and RoKo, I made the WBA website on the photo gallery! :D

Green man ;)

0,,10366~8742665,00.jpg

I think Jara could make the Barnsley game at the end of the season?

Oh and RoKo' date=' I made the WBA website on the photo gallery! :D

Green man ;)

[img']http://www.wba.co.uk/javaImages/9/67/0,,10366~8742665,00.jpg[/img]

I'd not heard that. I'll take your word for it, I'm rubbish at keeping up with that sort of thing.

:D That's top class, good effort.

Guest Jimmer The Wise

Celtic reserves lose out to west brom!

No surprise there, strachans just not right for us we have went backwards,find it disgraceful that we now accept what is effectively mid table in secind tier when 4 years ago we were in the uefa cup final

I honestly can not believe some of the sales and signings we made, sure gibson rescued us years ago but his companies failing and hes profiteering from the club through selling 'assets' the sooner he leaves the better, all the backroom staff need recycling including management,questionable signings, poor tactics, bad performances and terrible management led to the least successful, just epic failure of a season that I can remember since the last relegation

I think if changes dont happen to ownership/management we risk either becoming a pathetic poor quality mediocre yoyo team like west brom instead of an established european club

Thats why I for one will not be getting a season ticket next year

I think if changes dont happen to ownership/management we risk either becoming a pathetic poor quality mediocre yoyo team like west brom instead of an established european club

so after 2 seasons in european football in your entire history, the last one being 4 years ago you think boro should be trying to become an established european club ahead of the likes of man united, spurs, chelsea, liverpool, city, villa, arsenal, everton who are all way ahead of you in terms of getting the top 8 places in the prem due to finances/squads and the likes of newcastle and sunderland off the top of my who could potentially get there in the next few years with their much greater resources??? and this is before you get into the fact that you cant even sell out your stadium every week, even in the prem? jesus... - midtable prem is possible but the money poured into the club over the years makes it difficult to be sustainable at anything above midtable and that would depend on the youth system constantly churning out gems (which no youth system can really do)

the funny thing is you slate west brom who actually have a decent team and are run very well in an age where far too many clubs have either pushed the boat out too far or have become overreliant on their owner (like boro) and are probably more likely to become an established prem club sooner than boro will in large parts because of how they are run

oh yeah, strachan's actually a pretty decent manager - getting southampton to a cup final and a couple of top half finishes, 3 spl titles and 2 years in a row getting celtic to the last 16 in the CL (something which the massively lauded martin o'neill never did there) and being competitive against the likes of man united, ac milan and barcelona is the sign of a manager who's more than decent and to be fair should be managing in the prem as he's better than a good few prem managers

Celtic reserves lose out to west brom!

No surprise there' date=' strachans just not right for us we have went backwards,find it disgraceful that we now accept what is effectively mid table in secind tier when 4 years ago we were in the uefa cup final

I honestly can not believe some of the sales and signings we made, sure gibson rescued us years ago but his companies failing and hes profiteering from the club through selling 'assets' the sooner he leaves the better, all the backroom staff need recycling including management,questionable signings, poor tactics, bad performances and terrible management led to the least successful, just epic failure of a season that I can remember since the last relegation

[b']I think if changes dont happen to ownership/management we risk either becoming a pathetic poor quality mediocre yoyo team like west brom instead of an established european club[/b]

Thats why I for one will not be getting a season ticket next year

:D Nice attempt at a wind up.

Realistically though Boro are back where they belong. Gibson's money may have inflated the club into a false position for a while but that abysmal following yesterday shows why they were never going to be able to sustain a Premier League team in the longer-term (in the current money hungry climate) let alone one pushing for Europe.

TBH our club is a lot better structured than it has been in recent times (last 5-7 years). With regards to following yesterday' date=' i really cant knock the fans, not a lot to play for , and times are hard for many up in the North East.[/quote']

Aye, I said yesterday there were circumstances contributing toward it being that low, but it's still pretty poor for a club out of the Premier League.

I'm not suggesting it's the clubs fault, but everyone has their level and unless you get a very wealthy benefactor or are extremely well (or badly) managed, that's probably where you're going to end up. It's similar to the Albion in many ways, we just haven't got the natural resources to compete with clubs like Wigan or Stoke who's means are artificially inflated by having money pumped in by an investor. Hopefully the Pompey implosion will see a few be more cautious.

Guest Jimmer The Wise

:D Nice attempt at a wind up.

Realistically though Boro are back where they belong. Gibson's money may have inflated the club into a false position for a while but that abysmal following yesterday shows why they were never going to be able to sustain a Premier League team in the longer-term (in the current money hungry climate) let alone one pushing for Europe.

Hehe this guy got it, it was a wind up fellas you all snapped the bait, like I meant what I said,only thing right in that whole thing was celtic reserve comparison

Gibsons our saviour

Livened up my sunday night

Brom were a yoyo team under di matteo they might establish themselves,

Dont listen to my opinion,boros saviour in my opinion is...

SUPER AFONSO!

would just like to add my thoughts to the game at the weekend between derby county and crystal palace.

from the opening whistle derby wer confident and assured knocking it round the back and midfield and creating chances. The gap in the two sides quality was there for all to see. Palace looked shaky at the back and especially when it came to set pieces. Anderson almost put one in from a free kick and then anderson again got his head on the ball from a setpiece a few minutes later to put derby 1-0 up.

At this point the general feeling was we should be looking to win this game by 2 or 3 goals.

As the game went on derby got deeper and deeper which let palace grow in confidence. after a dier second half where derby showed little to no ambition to increase their lead they got there just desserts and conceded and equalising goal.

when you look back at the game palace couldnt live with us when we applied ourselves and in my opinion where one of the worst sides to come to pride park in quite some time. Yet we sat back and protected a 1-0 lead.

we have lost 6 points to scunny this season and countless other points to championship basement teams. another 2 were lost on saturday. cannot wait for the end of the season when we can get some players in.

cywka looked promising but faded away. davies looked like he was in end of season mode.

30,000 fans where at pride park on saturday who left wondering what had just happened.

Fantastic start' date=' Johnson scoring after 15 minutes, only for us to go and concede two minutes later. :rolleyes:

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!! We HAVE to win today!!!![/quote']

Nah leave it until next week mate Weds V's Palace winner stays up - fixtures dont get any better than that

Nah leave it until next week mate Weds V's Palace winner stays up - fixtures dont get any better than that

But if we draw or lose and Palace beat WBA on Monday then we're down before that game begins.... :/

(Barring a 10-0 miracle)

would just like to add my thoughts to the game at the weekend between derby county and crystal palace.

from the opening whistle derby wer confident and assured knocking it round the back and midfield and creating chances. The gap in the two sides quality was there for all to see. Palace looked shaky at the back and especially when it came to set pieces. Anderson almost put one in from a free kick and then anderson again got his head on the ball from a setpiece a few minutes later to put derby 1-0 up.

At this point the general feeling was we should be looking to win this game by 2 or 3 goals.

As the game went on derby got deeper and deeper which let palace grow in confidence. after a dier second half where derby showed little to no ambition to increase their lead they got there just desserts and conceded and equalising goal.

when you look back at the game palace couldnt live with us when we applied ourselves and in my opinion where one of the worst sides to come to pride park in quite some time. Yet we sat back and protected a 1-0 lead.

we have lost 6 points to scunny this season and countless other points to championship basement teams. another 2 were lost on saturday. cannot wait for the end of the season when we can get some players in.

cywka looked promising but faded away. davies looked like he was in end of season mode.

30' date='000 fans where at pride park on saturday who left wondering what had just happened.[/quote']

It was a game of two halves. We looked like a Non-League team in the first half and you managed to score a goal in which Clint Hill should have done better. We were lucky to keep it at 1-0 for the First Half but then in the second half we had you on the back foot and we hit the bar twice. You had one or two chances in the second half where one of your wingers would break from one of our attacks and literally run the length of the pitch. We eventually managed to score thanks to a bit of skill from Stern John and after that we pushed for a winner but you held on. If we can beat WBA tomorrow then we are safe.

Fantastic start' date=' Johnson scoring after 15 minutes, only for us to go and concede two minutes later. :rolleyes:

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!! We HAVE to win today!!!![/quote']

Uh-Oh 3-2 :D

Got a good feeling about tomorrow, we usually play good when we are on Sky. And we don't deserve to be down here.

We are the Champions! :D People might say that with our squad we should have won the title but its not that easy. Everyone wanted to beat us and only 4 out of 23 have succeeded. Hughton also has got the team to remain unbeaten at home this season and only 1 point needed to break the 100 point barrier.