Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

LEICESTER ARE IN THE PLAY-OFFS!!! :D :D :D

Brilliant season

Quite happy to see Leicester going well under Pearson' date=' good bloke by all accounts. How's Lloyd Dyer coped with the Champ this season? Bit of a cult hero down the Albion for his cameos in our 2nd promotion season, was nice to see him get a good reception at our place the other week.

Official PFA 2009/2010 Championship Team of the Year:

Lee Camp

Chris Gunter Fabricio Coloccini Ashley Williams Jose Enrique

Graham Dorrans Kevin Nolan Peter Whittingham Charlie Adam

Andy Carroll Michael Chopra

Looks fair enough really. I'd have Mulumbu in there just to get rid of one of the soft lad fancy dans in midfield. ;) And you could make a case for Maynard, Sharp or Hooper who have all got a similar total to Chopra in worse teams. Not so much Carroll as he brings a bit more than just goals.

Looks fair enough really. I'd have Mulumbu in there just to get rid of one of the soft lad fancy dans in midfield. ;) And you could make a case for Maynard' date=' Sharp or Hooper who have all got a similar total to Chopra in worse teams. Not so much Carroll as he brings a bit more than just goals.[/quote']

I think Chopra is up there with all of the good strikers in the Championship but what lets him down is him not being consistent. He might score a few goals all in one game but then go without a goal for a while. For example, he scored 4 against Derby in September then went 14 games without a goal. The likes of Hooper, Sharp and Maynard get their goals over a longer period of time compared to Chopra. If Chopra could keep it up then he would be top scorer because he was miles ahead early in the season.

I think Chopra is up there with all of the good strikers in the Championship but what lets him down is him not being consistent. He might score a few goals all in one game but then go without a goal for a while. For example' date=' he scored 4 against Derby in September then went 14 games without a goal. The likes of Hooper, Sharp and Maynard get their goals over a longer period of time compared to Chopra. If Chopra could keep it up then he would be top scorer because he was miles ahead early in the season.[/quote']

Aye he's in with the top strikers at this level, but his all-round game isn't all that much better than a Hooper or Maynard who have both scored more goals in comparatively weak teams. I think it's another indication that perhaps voting for the PFA awards comes too early to give a rounded view of the season as a whole.

I'm not a huge fan of the patchy strikers either. I'd rather have a bloke who gets his 10 goals at a goal every other game than one who bangs in three hattricks then doesn't score for a month.

As an aside there's an interesting tangent on tonight's game. Obviously if Palace win Wednesday are relegated, but if that were to happpen in doing so the Albion would relegate the man who turned down the manager's job in the summer, before Di Matteo was appointed. That looks a smart move now Mr. Irvine.

Meant to post on here after the game on Saturday but the Forum was playing up. I scoffed when my friend said to me, "why don't you watch the game on a p2p website?", but lo and behold, it was on there (the only Championship game mind). Managed to watch the second half but it was so frustrating. We could never get hold of the ball and when we did, we gave it away cheaply. We gifted Bothroyd far too much space for his first goal, but we managed to get into the game thanks to a great ball to Tudgay from Esajas, and Tudgay finished really well fom an acute angle. I thought that might be the cue for us to push on and get the winner, but for the second time in the match, we conceded before we could even mount any serious pressure. Really disappointing performance, from what I saw, but that seems to have been our problem all season long.

As an aside there's an interesting tangent on tonight's game. Obviously if Palace win Wednesday are relegated' date=' but if that were to happpen in doing so the Albion would relegate the man who turned down the manager's job in the summer, before Di Matteo was appointed. [b']That looks a smart move now Mr. Irvine.[/b]

Pffft, Irvine just wanted a challenge, that's all! :D

Absolutely dreading tonight's game. I just hope that Brunty plays because I know he'll try and get us a goal. Come on you Baggies!

Meant to post on here after the game on Saturday but the Forum was playing up. I scoffed when my friend said to me' date=' "why don't you watch the game on a p2p website?", but lo and behold, it was on there (the only Championship game mind). Managed to watch the second half but it was so frustrating. We could never get hold of the ball and when we did, we gave it away cheaply. We gifted Bothroyd far too much space for his first goal, but we managed to get into the game thanks to a great ball to Tudgay from Esajas, and Tudgay finished really well fom an acute angle. I thought that might be the cue for us to push on and get the winner, but for the second time in the match, we conceded before we could even mount any serious pressure. Really disappointing performance, from what I saw, but that seems to have been our problem all season long.

Pffft, Irvine just wanted a challenge, that's all! :D

Absolutely dreading tonight's game. I just hope that Brunty plays because I know he'll try and get us a goal. Come on you Baggies![/quote']

It's looking a bit grim isn't it, though in fairness 9 times out of 10 Esajas' screamer late on deflects in off the inside of the post, the ball just seems to roll the wrong way all the time when you're down the bottom. Having looked at your stats for this season I can't believe how many times Potter and O' Connor have played, I'm assuming together, in midfield. Two very average Champ water carriers, you can afford one workhorse with limited talent in there but if you have two you've got to have some outstanding outlets wide and up top.

Most of our lot seem confident, and Di Matteo hates to lose any game so I can't see us rolling over. Roman will fancy a goal as well after getting some stick for his drugs ban off some Palace players in the home game.

Edit: Apparently Irvine was all set to accept before he got a few calls from his friends in the game who told him to stay well away from our chairman. :D Well done Jeremy.

It's looking a bit grim isn't it' date=' though in fairness 9 times out of 10 Esajas' screamer late on deflects in off the inside of the post, the ball just seems to roll the wrong way all the time when you're down the bottom. Having looked at your stats for this season I can't believe how many times Potter and O' Connor have played, I'm assuming together, in midfield. Two very average Champ water carriers, you can afford one workhorse with limited talent in there but if you have two you've got to have some outstanding outlets wide and up top.

Most of our lot seem confident, and Di Matteo hates to lose any game so I can't see us rolling over. Roman will fancy a goal as well after getting some stick for his drugs ban off some Palace players in the home game.[/quote']

To be fair, if that Esajas strike had gone in, it wouldn't have made a difference - a Palace win and we'd still be down due to the inferior goal difference.

As for the Potter/O'Connor partnership Roko, do NOT get me started. I think you already know how much I dislike O'Connor, but Potter is now equallly disliked by me. On the surface, he has ability to be a great playmaker, as his passing skills are very good. But he's so inconsistent and flits in and out of games when he chooses. He also has very little presence in the midfield battle, which is unbelivably infuriating in such a competetive league. In fairness, there isn't really anyone who can challenge them for a starting role. McAllister is very much like O'Connor, albeit maybe a bit better going forward. Miller has been injured for most of the season. But that leaves Soares. Since arriving in January, we have completely wasted his ability. A week or two back, he moved into a central midfield after a substitution was made for the last 20 minutes of a game. That is the very first time I have seen him play in central midfield at Hillsborough (at least, in a Wednesday shirt). I really don't get why we're playing a very good box-to-box midfielder on the wing. It really bemuses me, especially when Potter and O'Connor are so average.

In truth, although I know it won't happen, we really need to have a huge makeover for next season because there is a lot of deadwood at the club. Thankfully, some will be on their way with their contracts finishing at the end fo this season (the likes of Jeffers [thank god], Esajas [not good/strong enough] and others have to go). But I'd look to shift a lot more than that. I'd clean out the whole midfield apart from Johnson (as much as I hate the fact that his end-product is rarely good, he adds a different dimension to our game that we miss when he's not playing). I'd beg Burnley to re-submit their £1.5m bid for Tudgay (fingers crossed that Laws is still in charge, because he might want him) - why-oh-why did we not accept it at the time? Every fan at the club was laughing at the bid saying that he was just coming off his best ever season and would only get better - WRONG! I would have accepted it - and I'm not just saying that - and it turns out I was right because Tudgay's been dreadful this season, particularly in the second half of the season. Clarke, the useless donkey, can go as well. In defence, I'd keep Spurr and Beevers of course because they have potential, as well as Purse because he can be useful. Grant's a great 'keeper, but I wish someone would train him to have more presence in the area - his unwillingness to come for crosses is scary. Having said that, I'd keep him because he's a fantastic shot-stopper. But apart from that, bar one or two squad members, I'd ditch the lot of them. I'd rather play some youngsters who care about the club.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant, but if you'd been a regular visitor to Hillsborough this season (and, indeed, the previous 15), then you'd probably be feeling suicidal.

To be fair' date=' if that Esajas strike had gone in, it wouldn't have made a difference - a Palace win and we'd still be down due to the inferior goal difference.

As for the Potter/O'Connor partnership Roko, do NOT get me started. I think you already know how much I dislike O'Connor, but Potter is now equallly disliked by me. On the surface, he has ability to be a great playmaker, as his passing skills are very good. But he's so inconsistent and flits in and out of games when he chooses. He also has very little presence in the midfield battle, which is unbelivably infuriating in such a competetive league. In fairness, there isn't really anyone who can challenge them for a starting role. McAllister is very much like O'Connor, albeit maybe a bit better going forward. Miller has been injured for most of the season. But that leaves Soares. Since arriving in January, we have completely wasted his ability. A week or two back, he moved into a central midfield after a substitution was made for the last 20 minutes of a game. That is the very first time I have seen him play in central midfield at Hillsborough (at least, in a Wednesday shirt). I really don't get why we're playing a very good box-to-box midfielder on the wing. It really bemuses me, especially when Potter and O'Connor are so average.

In truth, although I know it won't happen, we really need to have a huge makeover for next season because there is a lot of deadwood at the club. Thankfully, some will be on their way with their contracts finishing at the end fo this season (the likes of Jeffers [thank god'], Esajas [not good/strong enough] and others have to go). But I'd look to shift a lot more than that. I'd clean out the whole midfield apart from Johnson (as much as I hate the fact that his end-product is rarely good, he adds a different dimension to our game that we miss when he's not playing). I'd beg Burnley to re-submit their £1.5m bid for Tudgay (fingers crossed that Laws is still in charge, because he might want him) - why-oh-why did we not accept it at the time? Every fan at the club was laughing at the bid saying that he was just coming off his best ever season and would only get better - WRONG! I would have accepted it - and I'm not just saying that - and it turns out I was right because Tudgay's been dreadful this season, particularly in the second half of the season. Clarke, the useless donkey, can go as well. In defence, I'd keep Spurr and Beevers of course because they have potential, as well as Purse because he can be useful. Grant's a great 'keeper, but I wish someone would train him to have more presence in the area - his unwillingness to come for crosses is scary. Having said that, I'd keep him because he's a fantastic shot-stopper. But apart from that, bar one or two squad members, I'd ditch the lot of them. I'd rather play some youngsters who care about the club.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant, but if you'd been a regular visitor to Hillsborough this season (and, indeed, the previous 15), then you'd probably be feeling suicidal.

I actually forgot you had Soares, does seem a bit negative to shunt him out wide and keep those two in the centre together. Square pegs in round holes and all that. Central midfield always seems to have been a bit of a blind spot for Irvine though, he took Chaplow and Carter off us for decent sums, I wish I knew what he saw in them. I liked Johnson up the Albion, as you say his end product is haphazard but his pace is always going to scare defenders at this level and get them on the turn. Tudgay's a strange player, whenever you're on TV he looks a handful but then he just doesn't seem to score enough of your bog standard variety goals for a front man.

I suppose even if the worst does happen, providing you can hold onto them, you've got a decent base of young(ish) players to build on next season. Who knows, a season of regular football in League One might even help the likes of Beevers development. But when you look at some of the names you mentioned there's no doubt a clear out is needed, people like Clarke and Jeffers are robbing a living.

Does Steven Reid not like Wednesday or something? Shambles.

Edit: Tamas B)

Missed the start of the game because I was coming back from the supermarket, but from what I've seen, I'm very happy with how West Brom are playing. Joined the action just after the equaliser and it's been pretty much all WBA ever since. There have been a couple of really good chances squandered, but Speroni's made a few top notch saves as well to be fair. I just hope that WBA/we aren't made to rue those missed chances. Come on you Baggies!

P.S. Graeme Dorrans is undescribably good. He will take the Premiership by storm next season. Good luck in keeping hold of him in January.

Missed the start of the game because I was coming back from the supermarket' date=' but from what I've seen, I'm very happy with how West Brom are playing. Joined the action just after the equaliser and it's been pretty much all WBA ever since. There have been a couple of really good chances squandered, but Speroni's made a few top notch saves as well to be fair. I just hope that WBA/we aren't made to rue those missed chances. Come on you Baggies!

P.S. Graeme Dorrans is undescribably good. He will take the Premiership by storm next season. Good luck in keeping hold of him in January.[/quote']

We've wasted so many chances that you start to worry there's a sting in the tail. That one from Roman was particularly poor.

Aye, if he transfers this form to the Prem we'll do well to get a full season out of him. Different class this season, head and shoulders above anything else I've seen in this league.

Aye' date=' if he transfers this form to the Prem we'll do well to get a full season out of him. Different class this season, head and shoulders above anything else I've seen in this league.[/quote']

You obviously haven't seen Kevin Nolan then. :P

How's Danns got the cheek to moan about that? If you're going to drop the nut on somebody try not to do it right in front of the ref.

He's hard to miss with the extra bit of timber he's carrying Liam. ;)

Edit: Clint Hill, that's a bloody disgraceful tackle on a bloke who's missed a large chunk of his career through injury. Nothing but a thug.

Christ almighty, I was having a heart attack at the end of that game. I really thought John had scored just into injury time and whoever that guy was that cleared the ball off the line, you're a bloomin' godsend! Couldn't believe the amount of chances WBA wasted - it was ridiculous, but all's well that ends well.

Plus, Dorrans has gone up further in my estimations for ruling out one of Palace's biggest goal threats on Sunday - good man! :D

Christ almighty' date=' I was having a heart attack at the end of that game. I really thought John had scored just into injury time and whoever that guy was that cleared the ball off the line, you're a bloomin' godsend! Couldn't believe the amount of chances WBA wasted - it was ridiculous, but all's well that ends well.

Plus, Dorrans has gone up further in my estimations for ruling out one of Palace's biggest goal threats on Sunday - good man! :D[/quote']

I really sincerely hope Wednesday win on Sunday after that, something about that Palace team just winds me up. Probably the fact that they have so many players like Derry and Hill who make up for their lack of actual ability by kicking people. Thought we'd let them in at the end, would have been a farce to lose that game after being the better team by so much.

Marek Cech is your man for that clearance I think.

Missed the start of the game because I was coming back from the supermarket' date=' but from what I've seen, I'm very happy with how West Brom are playing. Joined the action just after the equaliser and it's been pretty much all WBA ever since. There have been a couple of really good chances squandered, but Speroni's made a few top notch saves as well to be fair. I just hope that WBA/we aren't made to rue those missed chances. Come on you Baggies!

[b']P.S. Graeme Dorrans is undescribably good. He will take the Premiership by storm next season. Good luck in keeping hold of him in January.[/b]

Summer don't you mean :confused:, Dorrans ain't going for less than £10MIL according to the WBA chairman and won't be going until the 11/12 season atleast, that's what a mate of mine says anyway..

Summer don't you mean :confused:' date=' Dorrans ain't going for less than £10MIL according to the WBA chairman and won't be going until the 11/12 season atleast, that's what a mate of mine says anyway..[/quote']

Aye, you're probably spot on there. The Baggies writer for the Evening Mail seems convinced it would take an eight figure bid for us to consider selling him and he's usually not far wrong.

Edit: Think the January thing was Andy saying we'll do well to hold onto him if he has a good start to next season.

I really sincerely hope Wednesday win on Sunday after that' date=' something about that Palace team just winds me up. Probably the fact that they have so many players like Derry and Hill who make up for their lack of actual ability by kicking people. Thought we'd let them in at the end, would have been a farce to lose that game after being the better team by so much.

Marek Cech is your man for that clearance I think.[/quote']

Yeh, they did lose their composure as a team towards the end did Palace.

And thanks, Cech now lies alongside greats such as Georgi Kinkladze and Tony Yeboah as my favourite ever footballers! :D

palace really should have won that game at the end' date=' but it makes sunday massive - just such a shame colin isnt palace's manager anymore...[/quote']

Not 'alf. Wednesday have reduced the ticket prices to £10 for adults and £5 for children, so it should be a sell-out. I know quite a few neutrals who are just going for the sake of it.

When you say Colin, do you mean Neil? If so, it's a bloomin' blessing that he's not there anymore because the writing would already be on the wall.

Summer don't you mean :confused:' date=' Dorrans ain't going for less than £10MIL according to the WBA chairman and won't be going until the 11/12 season atleast, that's what a mate of mine says anyway..[/quote']

Well, a lot can happen between then and now. It's alright him saying that, but if an Arsenal or Man Utd came in for him with a decent bid, one would expect Dorrans to be interested.

Aye' date=' you're probably spot on there. The Baggies writer for the Evening Mail seems convinced it would take an eight figure bid for us to consider selling him and he's usually not far wrong.

[b']Edit: Think the January thing was Andy saying we'll do well to hold onto him if he has a good start to next season.[/b]

Yeh, that was what I meant. I reckon he'll have a good start and, depending on how well WBA are doing in the table at that point might affect how reluctant you are to sell him.

When you say Colin' date=' do you mean Neil? If so, it's a bloomin' blessing that he's not there anymore because the writing would already be on the wall.

[/quote']

yup, thats the one. the thought of him getting relegated at hillsborough would be just delicious...

Aye' date=' you're probably spot on there. The Baggies writer for the Evening Mail seems convinced it would take an eight figure bid for us to consider selling him and he's usually not far wrong.

Edit: Think the January thing was Andy saying we'll do well to hold onto him if he has a good start to next season.[/quote']

I can't see Dorrans going to West Ham or Peace accepting £4m but it appears you already have some suitors for Dorrans.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6119136,00.html

ps Willie McKay is his agent. He probably wants the move more than Dorrans.