Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Glad that we got the advantage at the Walkers today but we're so unreliable and Leicester still have a chance of getting to Wembley if they get a goal' date=' so the pressure is on.

Mark Hudson and Michael Chopra showed great composure on the pitch, Kelvin Etuhu troubled the Leicester City defence too. We came close a few times and the we deserved the win.

Looking forward to the second leg, however, Jay Bothroyd and David Marshall got yellow cards today, we really can't afford to lose either of them.[/quote']

How wasn't there a Leicester penalty?

Leicester deserved the win, but didn't take there chances. Great goal from Whittingham though.

Does that mean Molester City are losing?! :D :D :D

Hahaha. Not funny.

where are you in the league??? ;)

And god knows how Bothroyd wasn't sent-off today. Jumps into Hobbs, leading with his elbow, doesn't even go for the ball. Only gets a yellow, probably on the assistants advice. Couple of blatent penalties not given. Alan Wiley is supposed to be a premier league referee.

And god knows how Bothroyd wasn't sent-off today. Jumps into Hobbs' date=' leading with his elbow, doesn't even go for the ball. Only gets a yellow, probably on the assistants advice. Couple of blatent penalties not given. Alan Wiley is supposed to be a premier league referee.[/quote']

The McNaughton handball was one of the most obvious penalties i've ever seen. He basically brought down Waghorn in the six yard box and with his elbow (Although accidental) knocked the ball 20 yards up in the air. Unbeliavable that it wasn't given.

Bothroyd should have been sent off, first off all for the Hobbs challenge - that deserved a red. But then he's just diveing and rolling around on the floor for the rest of the game, and back chatting to the referee. No wonder he's picked up 13 bookings this season.

C'mon Leicester! Turn it around, please :o

It's still a penalty even if it was accidental. Not many people would deliberately handball it in the area.

Sorry' date=' that is absolute rubbish

I have posted a section of the FIFA rules for football and the link if you still doubt that my knowledge of the game is better than yours.

"Law 12 - Fouls and misconduct

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

Holds an opponent

Spits at an opponent

Handles the ball [b']deliberately[/b] (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play."

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/lawsofthegameen_0910.ashx/lawsofthegameen_0910.pdf

Hi' date=' I'm Tom, and I'm a Leeds fan. Consider me Andy's replacement :)[/quote']

Haha, I was going to do the same but I deleted my post after seeing the 2009/10 bit in the title, so I chickened out. No more negativity, I promise, because I have no expectations really for next season, other than staying in the division of course.

The transfer gossip is interesting. Personally I think Ankergren's contract will be allowed to expire, whilst Hughes will probably get a one year extension. My predictions:

Out:

Ankergren - contract expires

Sheehan - released/sold. Swindon interested.

Crowe - released

Rui Marques - contract expires

Michalik? (think he might stay as a squad player)

Robinson - sold/released (if no interest)

Grella - loan? (depends on what happens with Beckford and potential replacements)

Somma - loan

Dickov - contract expires

Kandol - sold/released

Would these players cope in the Championship?:

GK Higgs

LB Parker

RB -

CB Kisnorbo

CB Bromby

LM Snodgrass

RM Gradel?

CM -

CM Kilkenny

ST Becchio

ST Beckford / -

Don't think Hughes, Howson, Johnson or Naylor would be good enough. Parker is a little unproven, but has played very well when fit. Kisnorbo has had injury problems, and Gradel is very hot and cold. Higgs is questionable. Bromby good enough?

I think we'll be looking at bringing:

GK - Either as first team or cover for Higgs.

DR - A must.

CM - Need a good ball winner. Howson is very inconsistent (although is still my favourite player), Kilkenny has been a little too of late and Johnson is good, but I think we need one good ball winner to play alongside one of them.

Winger - Is Gradel good enough? Consistent enough? Leicester didn't think so. And his attitude is a big worry. Either way we're a little low in this department once the loans return. Johnson can play wide as cover, but we need either someone for the first team or cover.

ST - Becchio, Grella, Somma. If Beckford goes we definitely need a goalscorer to replace him, preferably with pace. Even if he stays, we do need more cover. Grella and Somma are probably capable, but both unproven and will probably want first-team football. Fancy at least one of them to be loaned out.

So, a few rumours I have read:

Tommy Spurr - Sheff Wed relegated, young, lives close. Which seems to be a common theme.

Ian Harte - Possible only rumoured because of being ex-Leeds, but nonetheless attracting Championship interest, very good at set-pieces (which we do need) and good in air. However, with his pace, would he be capable?

Derek Geary - Leeds fan (supposedly). Out of contract at Sheff Utd.

Neill Collins - Played well on loan, could be signed permanently.

Clint Hill - http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=16506&headline=Exclusive%3A

Gary Montgomery - Leeds fan, good CM, just what we need. Strong rumour. Out of contract.

Robert Koren - Doubt this is true. Not seen much of him but I think he's quite good. Roko?

Billy Paynter - Another strong rumour. I really hope not though - he's not good enough for the Championship, not first-team at least.

Billy Sharp / Gary Hooper - Linked with them back in Jan and June before that. Both goalscorers. And now we're in the Championship, would they be tempted?

Jamie Ward - Another Sheff Utd player. Being touted as a possible replacement for Beckford. Don't know much about him. Young.

Nicky Maynard - No source, but quite a few people have mentioned him. Think it unlikely myself.

Sanchez Watt - Loan. Impressed in the few games he played.

Neil Mellor - Forgotten the source, think it was Guardian or SkySports. Hoping it's not true.

Thoughts? Most of those rumours are just that - rumours. However most, if not all, are possible, no wild ones (like Jimmy Bullard which I saw mentioned).

Also, Tom, thoughts on our current squad, who should stay, who should go, where we need to strengthen?

Robert Koren - Doubt this is true. Not seen much of him but I think he's quite good. Roko?

It's hard to say with Koren really. He's technically out of contract but Albion have got a years option that they'll almost certainly take up. He's been a regular for the last 15-20 games after having a strop about not playing until about January but might still have a moan about being played on the wing rather than through the centre. Nothing would completely surprise me but I get the impression he'll see out this final year and then leave on a bosman.

He'd be fantastic for anybody in the Champ, let alone a promoted team but I can't see how a move to Leeds would make sense for any party really. The player drops down a division, Leeds would have to pay an inflated fee for a player on a free in a years time who's on Premier League wages and Albion lose a useful squad player. While we're on the subject Felipe Teixeira might be a useful acquisition for a side like Leeds.

Edit: For what it's worth I don't think that Leeds team needs major surgery, it's already as good as most of the bottom 10-12. Daniel Bogdanovic is out of contract as Barnsley I think, he'd be worth a punt.

It's hard to say with Koren really. He's technically out of contract but Albion have got a years option that they'll almost certainly take up. He's been a regular for the last 15-20 games after having a strop about not playing until about January but might still have a moan about being played on the wing rather than through the centre. Nothing would completely surprise me but I get the impression he'll see out this final year and then leave on a bosman.

He'd be fantastic for anybody in the Champ' date=' let alone a promoted team but I can't see how a move to Leeds would make sense for any party really. The player drops down a division, Leeds would have to pay an inflated fee for a player on a free in a years time who's on Premier League wages and Albion lose a useful squad player. While we're on the subject Felipe Teixeira might be a useful acquisition for a side like Leeds.

Edit: For what it's worth I don't think that Leeds team needs major surgery, it's already as good as most of the bottom 10-12. Daniel Bogdanovic is out of contract as Barnsley I think, he'd be worth a punt.[/quote']

Ta. Ye it's probably nothing more than a rumour. Probably the least likely of the lot. Bogdanovic has also been linked, forgot to add him, cheers. Also though of adding Alan Smith but the rumours are mostly just people who want him back. Captain of the team who just destroyed the Championship (at least, I saw a match where he was captain, not sure if he's the permanent one?), can't see why he'd drop back to the Championship. He'll be a squad player next year at the very least.

As for our squad, we have a few players who can cope. A RB, CM and Winger are musts. A striker too if Beckford does leave, although it's looking a bit more hopeful he might stay now. Who knows. That's four players. Our only LB missed the entire season this year and is still young and inexperienced, so sticking with him may be a risk. Kisnorbo is out til October and has injury problems, so a CB may also be signed. That's 4-6 already! I think the likes of Higgs, Bromby, Kisnorbo, Kilkenny, Snodgrass and Becchio are more than good enough, then there a few question marks over some players.

Also though of adding Alan Smith but the rumours are mostly just people who want him back. Captain of the team who just destroyed the Championship (at least' date=' I saw a match where he was captain, not sure if he's the permanent one?), can't see why he'd drop back to the Championship. He'll be a squad player next year at the very least.[/quote']

He will be full time captain next season. Nicky Butt is leaving this summer so Smith will take over the role with Nolan as vice captain. I don't think he would leave unless there was an offer of £3m on the table. I can't see Leeds paying that or matching his wages with us. I don't know if you thought he would come back as a striker but he plays as a defensive midfielder for us.

So' date=' a few rumours I have read:

[b']Clint Hill[/b] - http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=16506&headline=Exclusive%3A

I want him to stay but it seems inevitable, Warnock said he wanted to buy him as soon as he went to QPR so it just seems a matter of which club he will go to. His contract is also up in the summer and against Sheffield Wednesday he threw all his shirt and boots into the crowd unlike any other player which means it was probably his last Palace match.

I don't care what happens transfer wise in the summer, all I care about is if we will be a club by the start of the season.

He will be full time captain next season. Nicky Butt is leaving this summer so Smith will take over the role with Nolan as vice captain. I don't think he would leave unless there was an offer of £3m on the table. I can't see Leeds paying that or matching his wages with us. I don't know if you thought he would come back as a striker but he plays as a defensive midfielder for us.

Firstly' date=' I don't think there's a chance of him coming back. ;)

That's great for him. Still love the guy despite him joining Man United, maybe it was because I was too young to really understand at the time. It's a shame how his career went so far downhill when he broke his leg. It'll be good to see him back in the Prem. What's your opinion of him now? I remember some very harsh criticism this time last year when you had just been relegated.

As for £3m, Bates would definitely not spend that, nor the money on his wages. And a player like him in the centre of the park would be exactly what this club needs. Everyone knows he's no longer a striker. He's been a midfielder for years.

I want him to stay but it seems inevitable, Warnock said he wanted to buy him as soon as he went to QPR so it just seems a matter of which club he will go to. His contract is also up in the summer and against Sheffield Wednesday he threw all his shirt and boots into the crowd unlike any other player which means it was probably his last Palace match.

I don't care what happens transfer wise in the summer, all I care about is if we will be a club by the start of the season.

You don't have to worry mate, there's not a chance in hell you'll go bust. Believe it. A lot of clubs go close and go to administration, but for a club like you, in the Premiership just a few years back, if the worst comes to the worst there'll still be someone willing to buy you out. The money problems are usually over-exaggerated anyway. A few weeks back people were claiming Southend were as good as bust. When in fact they were only a few hundred k in debt and had it all but tied up at the time.

Tommy Spurr - Sheff Wed relegated' date=' young, lives close. Which seems to be a common theme.[/quote']

Can't see him leaving unless the club has to accept a big bid for him. He's an Owl through and through and always wears his heart on his sleeve. I can't see him wanting to leave.

Derek Geary - Leeds fan (supposedly). Out of contract at Sheff Utd.

Had A LOT of injury problems in the last year or two. Decent player though' date=' and you'd love him if he played for you - always a real fans favourite.

Billy Sharp / Gary Hooper - Linked with them back in Jan and June before that. Both goalscorers. And now we're in the Championship, would they be tempted?

Sharp would be a great shout. Can't see Donny being able to afford him and his face clearly doesn't fit at United. If you just let him play on the last man, he'd guarentee you 20 goals next season. A proper, old-fashioned out-and-out goalscorer. Wish we had him at Wednesday.

Jamie Ward - Another Sheff Utd player. Being touted as a possible replacement for Beckford. Don't know much about him. Young.

Really underrated player' date=' and often United's best player. Seems no coincidence to me that whenever Ward was injured last season, United's form dropped. You'd be very lucky to find United willing to part with him, in my opinion.

Edit: For what it's worth I don't think that Leeds team needs major surgery, it's already as good as most of the bottom 10-12. Daniel Bogdanovic is out of contract as Barnsley I think, he'd be worth a punt.

The Star's been reporting that he's in talks with United. Can't see him turning them down if they offer him a contract, although Leeds might have a similar appeal to him.

Also though of adding Alan Smith but the rumours are mostly just people who want him back. Captain of the team who just destroyed the Championship (at least' date=' I saw a match where he was captain, not sure if he's the permanent one?), can't see why he'd drop back to the Championship. He'll be a squad player next year at the very least.[/quote']

Really? I thought Smith was somewhat of a "Judas" figure ever since he left for United?

You don't have to worry mate' date=' there's not a chance in hell you'll go bust. Believe it. A lot of clubs go close and go to administration, but for a club like you, in the Premiership just a few years back, if the worst comes to the worst there'll still be someone willing to buy you out. The money problems are usually over-exaggerated anyway. A few weeks back people were claiming Southend were as good as bust. When in fact they were only a few hundred k in debt and had it all but tied up at the time.[/quote']

I hope so, but the only thing I'm worried about is Brendan Guilfoyle has said he can only keep Palace alive for a number of weeks and I'm not too bothered about that seeing as we have a number of people who want to buy the club, but Palace don't own the stadium so the person who wants to buy Palace has to buy the stadium aswell and Palace are finding it hard to come to an agreement.

There is the CPFC Consortium 2010 who are full of rich buisnessmen Palace fans who are desperate to keep the club alive and I don't mind if they take over, but they will not have enough cash so that we can buy players and I think we need another striker if we are to make a serious charge for the play-offs. Also, another factor is if players leave, Shaun Derry is a great leader and the reason for our fighting spirit, Ambrose is our only real goalscorer and he is the main reason we are still in the Championship and Danns is the only player who can keep the ball for more than five seconds, they could all be gone for a combined fee of only £1 Million to QPR.

Can't see him leaving unless the club has to accept a big bid for him. He's an Owl through and through and always wears his heart on his sleeve. I can't see him wanting to leave.

Had A LOT of injury problems in the last year or two. Decent player though' date=' and you'd love him if he played for you - always a real fans favourite.

Sharp would be a great shout. Can't see Donny being able to afford him and his face clearly doesn't fit at United. If you just let him play on the last man, he'd guarentee you 20 goals next season. A proper, old-fashioned out-and-out goalscorer. Wish we had him at Wednesday.

Really underrated player, and often United's best player. Seems no coincidence to me that whenever Ward was injured last season, United's form dropped. You'd be very lucky to find United willing to part with him, in my opinion.

The Star's been reporting that he's in talks with United. Can't see him turning them down if they offer him a contract, although Leeds might have a similar appeal to him.

Really? I thought Smith was somewhat of a "Judas" figure ever since he left for United?[/quote']

Cheers for the replies. Cba to wrap quote tags around all of them, haha.

I can't see Spurr wanting to leave either, but money talks. There are players out there who'll happily drop a division, especially if it's the club they love. Is Spurr one of these?

That was brought up when the Geary link was mentioned on the Leeds board as well. Seems to be a worry with a few players we get, Kisnorbo being a major example. Top player (our POTY), but out injured three or four times this season. Sounds promising though. And we do need a RB.

I'd love to have Sharp at Leeds, same goes for Hooper. Both proven at this level, both goalscorers, both young. It all depends though on if Bates is willing to splash the cash and if there is more to them than being just rumours (apparently we contacted Sheff Utd about Sharp last summer, so maybe that one is more than a rumour).

Really? I've never even heard of him. Just shows how up-to-date I am with this division. :L £400k has been quoted by the Mirror I believe. Then again, it is the Mirror. Apparently United are having financial problems?

As for Smith, there are LOT of fans who hate him for joining Man United, then there are the rest who still appreciate that he was pretty much forced out of Leeds and joining Man United was a great opportunity in the cirumstances. And there are some who hate him but appreciate that he's a cracking player at this level. We actually played Newcastle last summer in pre-season. Can't remember the reaction but I think it was more good than bad.

Firstly' date=' I don't think there's a chance of him coming back. ;)

That's great for him. Still love the guy despite him joining Man United, maybe it was because I was too young to really understand at the time. It's a shame how his career went so far downhill when he broke his leg. It'll be good to see him back in the Prem. What's your opinion of him now? I remember some very harsh criticism this time last year when you had just been relegated.[/quote']

I love Alan Smith because he puts in the hard work which there was none of from players like Owen and Viduka last season. His tackling has been brilliant but I can't see him being as effective against the better players we will be facing. If he does a mistimed tackle away from home then the crowd will be up in arms for him to be sent off and most of the time referees give in to the pressure.

I love Alan Smith because he puts in the hard work which there was none of from players like Owen and Viduka last season. His tackling has been brilliant but I can't see him being as effective against the better players we will be facing. If he does a mistimed tackle away from home then the crowd will be up in arms for him to be sent off and most of the time referees give in to the pressure.

Why on Earth don't you play him upfront? We tried him at CM for a short while when Keane went but it was obvious he was out of his depth in midfield. Was really surprised when Allardyce bought him to play him in midfield. Up front his finishing is more than good enough to play for any mid table side

Why on Earth don't you play him upfront? We tried him at CM for a short while when Keane went but it was obvious he was out of his depth in midfield. Was really surprised when Allardyce bought him to play him in midfield. Up front his finishing is more than good enough to play for any mid table side

I really don't think he is up to playing upfront anymore. His workrate and tackling are better suited for playing in midfield.