Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Now I'm a Chelsea fan but in the lower leagues im a Charlie Austin fan' date=' but I've been reading this forum. Good forum but I hear Hooper is heading to Leeds. Bad move for him in my mind, they dont suit his style, but neither do Derby, I reckon he should join Reading or Leicester City, quick free flowing footie, but then again could you imagine the chaos he would cause up front with Maynard at Bristol. Anyroad, Austin gonna be in the Champ or stuck with Swindon? Also I think Cardiff have the better team but I jst love Blackpool and Holly, so I want them to go up.! Gimme a reply, I'll be waiting:cool::)[/quote']

Sorry, but what is our style? No, go on, I'm listening.

Swindon are very stable financially and Austin isn't out of contract so the only way he'd leave is if silly money is offered, or he hands in a transfer request. Can't see either happening tbh. Especially if they get promoted.

Now next season will probably be one of the best chances for promotion for a lot of teams in the division. With Newcastle and West Brom both gone, potentially Cardiff too, that takes out the two best teams by far and another one of the top teams if Cardiff do go up. None of the teams coming down are particular threats, all three have money problems and two of them could well face point deductions. I can only really see Burnley causing any problems. That leaves a big chunk of teams all evenly matched who have a great chance of going up. Ipswich, Reading, Boro, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Forest, even us and Norwich. No real big teams there that are streets ahead of the rest, all on fairly even footing. Depending on how we spend we could be up there as well (if we spend. Big if). Should be a good season.

Sorry' date=' but what is our style? No, go on, I'm listening.

Swindon are very stable financially and Austin isn't out of contract so the only way he'd leave is if silly money is offered, or he hands in a transfer request. Can't see either happening tbh. Especially if they get promoted.

Now next season will probably be one of the best chances for promotion for a lot of teams in the division. With Newcastle and West Brom both gone, potentially Cardiff too, that takes out the two best teams by far and another one of the top teams if Cardiff do go up. None of the teams coming down are particular threats, all three have money problems and two of them could well face point deductions. I can only really see Burnley causing any problems. That leaves a big chunk of teams all evenly matched who have a great chance of going up. [b']Coventry[/b] Ipswich, Reading, Boro, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Forest, even us and Norwich. No real big teams there that are streets ahead of the rest, all on fairly even footing. Depending on how we spend we could be up there as well (if we spend. Big if). Should be a good season.

There, fixed. :)

This isn't meant to put down sides like Blackpool or Cardiff but I think either would struggle. My team' date=' Newcastle, and West Brom both struggled last season but this season has shown a big gulf in class between us two and the rest. Obviously a lot can change with potential additions but Cardiff/Blackpool are at an immediate disadvantage in my opinion.[/quote']

Agreed. Think both teams would come straight back down, Blackpool inparticular. Yes they have done brilliantly this season but the Premiership is a massive step up and I don't think that they could cope.

As for Cardiff, your very defensive/counter-attacking football will win some games against the lesser sides in the division, however the style can easily be countered and they would be "found out" relatively quickly. Whittingham's left foot would be relied on heavily, because Chopra hasn't scored many goals recently (second-half of season) and Bothroyd can be easily marked by good defenders.

Sorry' date=' but what is our style? No, go on, I'm listening[/quote']

ye're style is long ball down the pitch as plan b and plan a is ball in the box from the wings. hooper is a more direct approach and e myt do well at derby boy god they got a good deal at £1.2 million. and the signing of R0berts also shows how intent Derby are.

I dont care that they would not get investment' date=' and i know it is not going to happen but imo cardiff and swansea should not be in the english league. Same thing applies to rangers and celtics proposal to come to the league.

Nah, thats not why i want 'pool to win. Nobody will ever beat our points low thanks to mr davies.

I dread to think what state the wembley toilets will be in after cardiff have been there. I heard the recked them last time. Typical.[/quote']

We've been in the English League for years on years, so why kick us out now. As Grange has said, we have as much rights as any other team in the English league.

The main point into this, is that were becoming succesfull, there hasn't been a word said about non-league sides Wrexham, Newport & Merthyr Tydfill who play in the Welsh league.

Think about it this way, the following talents wouldn't have made it big had it not been for Swansea & Cardiff reaching the English league:

Cameron Jerome

James Collins

Danny Gabbidon

Aaron Ramsey

Chris Gunter

Adam Matthews

Joe Ledley

Joe Allen

Ashley Richards

Madame Sidibe

Jamie Price

Frank Lampard

(A short loan spell, but it helped him :P)

Paul Anderson

Once again, a short loan spell, but it done bounds of good for him

Obviously Cardiff's will top Swansea's, as they've been in a much higher league for the majority of the last 10 years or so. Sidibe was given his chance at Swansea, Jerome was given his chance at Cardiff, both then managed to move up the football league. Frank Lampard off course had a loan spell at Swansea, along with Paul Anderson, and although for less than a season they did really help there careers.

Well i do think that if they don't win then there will be trouble from the Cardiff end. They recked the toilets at the Liberty in November, they were attempting to cause riots after losing 4-0 to Arsenal in the FA Cup, chucking objects onto the pitch. A fan hit Mike Riley with a coin in the 2-2 draw with Swansea at Ninian. The list just goes on, but it's football not cricket and this stuff is going to happen, it doesn't have anything to do with the Swansea fans anyone.

You keep on wishing, because both of the prides of Wales will keep on climbing up the leagues, and yes we will both reach the premier league eventually. Hopefully, as i said before, in my life time as it's something any fan wants to see from there local club in there time as a fan.

The Welsh clubs have also earned their right to be where they are by going up through the Leagues and not just being plonked in a certain one, like was suggested about the Scottish Pub League teams.

Cameron Jerome came to Cardiff from 'Boro though. Just for the record. :o

Ridsdale has banked on this promotion and, like the Leeds situation, is waiting for results to back his financial decisions. The most backwards way of doing anything. :mad: He will ruin, yet another club if Cardiff don't make it. It shoudln't be allowed really. I blame the Cardiff board for letting him anywhere near the club. Progress was being made, albeit a little slower before he came.

I will be behind the boys all the way though! Bloooooobirds!!

The Welsh clubs have also earned their right to be where they are by going up through the Leagues and not just being plonked in a certain one' date=' like was suggested about the Scottish Pub League teams.

Cameron Jerome came to Cardiff from 'Boro though. Just for the record. :o

Ridsdale has banked on this promotion and, like the Leeds situation, is waiting for results to back his financial decisions. The most backwards way of doing anything. :mad: He will ruin, yet another club if Cardiff don't make it. It shoudln't be allowed really. I blame the Cardiff board for letting him anywhere near the club. Progress was being made, albeit a little slower before he came.

I will be behind the boys all the way though! Bloooooobirds!![/quote']

Yes, but what did he do at 'Boro?

He joined Cardiff, had a great season and from it earned a move to Birimingham were he's become a success.

I agree that Risdale shouldn't be allowed to do it this way. There in huge financial debts, yet there paying Ledley, McCormack, Whittingham & Chopra 20k+ p/w. He's spent 4 million which he didn't have on Chopra, and Cardiff have had a lot of luck that an investor has come in.

The investor wants to get rid of all the high earners if there in the CCC next season, and do it the correct way which is fair enough.

Ruined Leeds, ruined Barnsley, ruined Cardiff. Leeds are only just recovering, Barnsley can't afford to spend more than 300k on a player, and Cardiff have had some luck that a millionaire will save them. I fear for the next club he destroys, i'm just glad it most certainly wont be Swansea though.

What a load of tosh.
of course u wont agree mate, ur a leeds fan but im delighted there up in the champ hopefully they wil be bak wher they belong in the prem sooner rather than later.

and if leeds sell beckford which is likely just buy billy sharp e'll do the job just fine and he'll suit their stlye a play:p

of course u wont agree mate' date=' ur a leeds fan but im delighted there up in the champ hopefully they wil be bak wher they belong in the prem sooner rather than later.

and if leeds sell beckford which is likely just buy billy sharp e'll do the job just fine and he'll suit their stlye a play:p[/quote']

How does Billy Sharp suit a direct team, which you've claimed Leeds to be? He struggled at Sheffield Utd who play exactly that style and yet thrived at Doncaster who play much more attractive football, trying to keep the ball on the deck first and foremost.

And the whole Cardiff/Swansea vendetta about they shouldn't be in the Football League is uninformed nonsense, it's not called the English Football League and quite deliberately so. Invitations were extended to all English, Scottish and Welsh clubs that wanted to take part when it was formed and remained for future reference. Obviously the Scots formed their own league and stuck with that but people tend to forget the Welsh league was set-yp as a semi-pro organisation as recently as 1992. Clubs as established as Wrexham, Cardiff and Swansea were hardly going to up sticks and sign up to that, were they?

If anything I hope Blackpool win because Cardiff have got into this position by spending beyond their means, financial doping if you like.

Props to the Leicester fan who got this on the go so quickly as well, made me laugh anyway -

How does Billy Sharp suit a direct team' date=' which you've claimed Leeds to be? He struggled at Sheffield Utd who play exactly that style and yet thrived at Doncaster who play much more attractive football, trying to keep the ball on the deck first and foremost. [/url']

Leeds cud adjust to sharp he's a flexible player, but mate i doubt they would buy em theyd pr0b buy sumone like shane long(who i like cos e's a local lad in cork) but its just down to who they can afford and im not sure what the current financial sitiuation is at Leeds, so if u fill me in on Leeds financial situation, I might recommend a player who would suit them.

Props to the Leicester fan who got this on the go so quickly as well' date=' made me laugh anyway -

[url']

[/url]

Haha, ye very quick to get that up. Made me laugh

:D

& why are you (Rob) linking Leeds with every championship striker there is? They don't necesarilly need 5 forwards :rolleyes: Only one/two will be brought in, with Beckford leaving aslong as Becchio is kept.

There's no way Long's leaving Reading unless a EPL club comes in. Doubt Billy Sharp would join Leeds after a strong season at Doncaster, the Blades will sell Sharp but more likely to a side that has proved themselves at Championship level which Leeds are yet to do.

& your now linking Kergomant to Leeds :confused: More realistaclly Leeds will look to bring in someone who is proven in the Championship, someone like Sharp but somebody who is more likely to join them, someone like Andrew Keogh or Gary Hooper (although set for Derby)

Now i want to give Shorpe a mention. They've sold Hayes to Preston, and Hooper is set for Derby aswell as Marcus Williams to Reading. Who will replace them, if they do replace them? I'm sure they'll look to sign Ben Burgess from Blackpool, and possibly Neil Mellor with George Friend a potential target now as a free-agent but i'm not sure they'll do well next season.

And i think Doncaster should be jumping at the chance to sign Gary Doherty. Released by Norwich, and with Roberts joining Derby, Doherty would be the perfect replacement. Not quiet sure why Norwich did release there captain though, he had a good season last year, but expect a good season from Zak Whitbread at Norwich next season.

Haha' date=' ye very quick to get that up. Made me laugh
:D

& why are you (R0b) linking Leeds with every championship striker there is? They don't necesarilly need 5 forwards :rolleyes: Only one/two will be brought in, with Beckford leaving aslong as Becchio is kept.

There's no way Long's leaving Reading unless a EPL club comes in. Doubt Billy Sharp would join Leeds after a strong season at Doncaster, the Blades will sell Sharp but more likely to a side that has proved themselves at Championship level which Leeds are yet to do.

& your now linking Kergomant to Leeds More realistaclly Leeds will look to bring in someone who is proven in the Championship, someone like Sharp but somebody who is more likely to join them, someone like Andrew Keogh or Gary Hooper (although set for Derby)[/center']

I was joking bou kermogant mate, no-way Leeds would buy em, I said Sharp cos he had a fantastic season and in refernce to Hooper he was linked with Leeds dats why I mentioned him, also I used Long as an example for a striker they could get., tall imposing but pacy proven striker. I would love to see Keogh at leeds very good striker at that level, you hit the nail right on the head there mate. Brilliant example.

He hasnt had his chance in the Prem with Wolves and I doubt he will, but can Leeds afford em is my question?

Didn't know where to post this but here it goes

:(
The Swansea City family is shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Besian Idrizaj at the age of just 22

Google translation from http://www.nachrichten.at/sport/lask/art100,392792

Besian Idrizaj is dead, the 22-year-old former midfielder Football Bundesliga LASK Linz died in the night on Saturday in the apartment of his parents in Linz on a heart attack. His brother Qerim who wears the dress of Landesligist Union Baumgartenberg noticed first the tragedy and tried desperately to save the lives of Besian.

The Reanimierungsversuche came too late. Even in the exceptional talent of his active career was repeatedly collapsed.

One of the greatest talents in Austrian football is dead Besian Idrizaj, who at Swansea City, a club from the second highest English league, was under contract, died in the night on Saturday unexpectedly at the home of his parents. During his visit home cheered the 22-year-old still on a week ago, his brother Qerim, who scored in the game against the national league east Naarn two hits for Baumgartenberg.

Dodgy translation, but cutting it short 22 year old Swansea striker Besian Idrizaj has passed away, dieing of a heart attack.

He was a regular for the Swansea reserves, and the reserves key figure and it was a huge shock when finding out the news just a few minutes ago. He had a couple of heart attacks in his career, and it's such a sad loss to the Swansea squad. :(

Dodgy translation' date=' but cutting it short 22 year old Swansea striker Besian Idrizaj has passed away, dieing of a heart attack.

He was a regular for the Swansea reserves, and the reserves key figure and it was a huge shock when finding out the news just a few minutes ago. He had a couple of heart attacks in his career, and it's such a sad loss to the Swansea squad. :([/center']

sad news i found out on a different forum shocking that can happen to someone so young

After being released by Liverpool he was advised to retire due to his ticker but refused to....

real shame

R.I.P.

of course u wont agree mate' date=' ur a leeds fan but im delighted there up in the champ hopefully they wil be bak wher they belong in the prem sooner rather than later.

and if leeds sell beckford which is likely just buy billy sharp e'll do the job just fine and he'll suit their stlye a play:p[/quote']

Well no, I disagree because that is not our "style".

In-fact, we don't even have a "style". At the start of the season we were passing the ball well and getting results. Towards the second half of the season the players were losing confidence and our defenders often resorted to hoof-ball rather than passing it out. However this is not our "style". We don't really have one. The way we play depends on the players in our squad, so it's not players having to adapt to our "style", but us playing a different way with different players. With our current crop, we try to get the ball wide to Snodgrass or Gradel or else try and slip Beckford through. For the reasons I stated above this wasn't happening in the second half of the season as much and is a big reason as to why we struggled.

As for Hooper and Sharp, we've been linked with them since last summer. Both very good, very young strikers. And if I do say so myself, if a good offer was put on the table, I very much expect they'd accept it. However, Shorpe aren't going to let Hooper go for anything short of a few million, which I can't see us offering. Sharp is out of favour at Sheff United so there is more chance of him joining. But both are just rumours and as of yet there has been nothing to suggest otherwise. By the sound of it Hooper is heading to Derby, but until anything concrete happens, who knows.

Dodgy translation' date=' but cutting it short 22 year old Swansea striker Besian Idrizaj has passed away, dieing of a heart attack.

He was a regular for the Swansea reserves, and the reserves key figure and it was a huge shock when finding out the news just a few minutes ago. He had a couple of heart attacks in his career, and it's such a sad loss to the Swansea squad. :([/center']

Was going to post this, tragic news. :(

I was joking bou kermogant mate' date=' no-way Leeds would buy em, I said Sharp cos he had a fantastic season and in refernce to Hooper he was linked with Leeds dats why I mentioned him, also I used Long as an example for a striker they could get., tall imposing but pacy proven striker. I would love to see Keogh at leeds very good striker at that level, you hit the nail right on the head there mate. Brilliant example.

He hasnt had his chance in the Prem with Wolves and I doubt he will, but can Leeds afford em is my question?[/quote']

Keogh started his career at Leeds actually, and was released back when were in the Prem or the Championship. Big mistake, as it later proved. Can't see for the life of me why he would join tbh. Playing in the Prem for Wolves, not regularly but still getting game time. And would cost a good few mil, which Bates would never spend in one summer, bad enough one player.

Don't get me wrong, we can afford him though. We've made so much profit this year, with Delph, Garbutt, the two youngsters City nabbed, and the FA Cup run and TV money. The club has the money, but where Bates is willing to give it to Grayson to spend is another matter entirely.

We need one or two strikers tbh. We have Becchio, Grella and Somma. The latter two aren't proven in League 1, badly enough the Championship, although loan spells and odd appearances would suggest they're deserving of a chance. If Beckford does go, then another striker is a guarantee. I fancy Grayson to also buy one as cover.

It'll probably be someone no-one really expects. Daniel Bogdanovic has been strongly linked with us, no idea what he's like but wasn't he released from Barnsley? Either way he seems to be the most likely player to join us atm.

Was going to post this' date=' tragic news. :(

[/quote']

sad news i found out on a different forum shocking that can happen to someone so young

real shame

R.I.P.

Well he was later told that he was o.k to play on at Swansea. And passed his medical easily.

Always a possiblity but so shocking, one of the few players who could find the net - and he passes's away. A really terrible season for Swansea alround, this just tips it off. Wish his family all the best.

Why do perfectly healthy players develop and die from heart related problems?:(. Less than a year ago it was Jarque. And its the young ones:confused:.

RIP Idrizaj.

Shocks me. Footballers aswell, fit athletes who train 5 days a week for 10 months a year. It was always the case that Idrizaj had heart related problems, collapsed on the field a couple of times a few years ago. I thought he was one of our better forwards aswell up against the likes of Pintado, Bouza & Trundle, although Sousa didn't think so.