Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Well no' date=' I disagree because that is not our "style".

In-fact, we don't even have a "style". At the start of the season we were passing the ball well and getting results. Towards the second half of the season the players were losing confidence and our defenders often resorted to hoof-ball rather than passing it out. However this is not our "style". We don't really have one. The way we play depends on the players in our squad, so it's not players having to adapt to our "style", but us playing a different way with different players. With our current crop, we try to get the ball wide to Snodgrass or Gradel or else try and slip Beckford through. For the reasons I stated above this wasn't happening in the second half of the season as much and is a big reason as to why we struggled.

It'll pr0bably be someone no-one really expects. Daniel Bogdanovic has been strongly linked with us, no idea what he's like but wasn't he released from Barnsley? Either way he seems to be the most likely player to join us atm.[/quote']

Bog is useless, but might suit Leeds style:p they could buy Lambert or Lallana?

And RIP Besian Idrizaj

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Bog is useless' date=' but might suit Leeds style:p [b']they could buy Lambert or Lallana?[/b]

And RIP Besian Idrizaj

Could they. I don't think Lambert & Lallana will leave this season. Lallana will want to stay at Southampton, this is the end of only Lambert's first season at Southampton. They should walk League one next season.

Could they. I don't think Lambert & Lallana will leave this season. Lallana will want to stay at Southampton' date=' this is the end of only Lambert's first season at Southampton. They [b']should[/b] walk League one next season.

I said they could as you highlighted. Lallana will only leave for an EPL team and Lambert will want to make history with the Saints. Bogdanovic really seems their only option doesnt it? Lol they could buy Viduka LMFAO. No in all seriousness their best option would be Austin but most people will pr0b slaughter me for saying this.

R.I.P - Besian Idrizaj

_46272191_james_linington1_huw.jpg

(Far Left) Coming on for just one of his four first team appearances at Swansea

0,,10354~7032408,00.jpg

In action in the Carling Cup, against Shorpe

A statement from the club:

"It is understood that the popular 22-year-old died in his sleep on Friday night while at home with his family in Austria."

"The exact cause of death has not been confirmed and our thoughts are with his family, friends and team-mates at this time."

I'm still in shock, just a few weeks ago i was watching him score for the reserves. And now this ...

Joins a long list of players:

Marc-Vivien Foe - Aged 28

Antonio Puerta - Aged 22

Daneil Jarque - Aged 26

Phil O'Donnell - Aged 25

R.I.P - Besian Idrizaj

_46272191_james_linington1_huw.jpg

(Far Left) Coming on for just one of his four first team appearances at Swansea

http://www.swanseacity.net/javaImages/58/4e/0' date=',10354~7032408,00.jpg[/img']

In action in the Carling Cup, against Shorpe

A statement from the club:

I'm still in shock, just a few weeks ago i was watching him score for the reserves. And now this ...

Joins a long list of players:

Marc-Vivien Foe - Aged 28

Antonio Puerta - Aged 22

Daneil Jarque - Aged 26

Phil O'Donnell - Aged 35

O'Donnell was 35

I hope he gets rid of Kuqi' date=' Trundle, Pintado, Bouza, Beattie, Dobbie, Idrizaj & Bond. There all useless.[/b']

Shocks me. Footballers aswell' date=' fit athletes who train 5 days a week for 10 months a year. It was always the case that Idrizaj had heart related problems, collapsed on the field a couple of times a few years ago.[b'] I thought he was one of our better forwards aswell up against the likes of Pintado, Bouza & Trundle, although Sousa didn't think so.

Its amazing how a death can change your views on a player :rolleyes:

RIP - Besian Idrizaj.

Its amazing how a death can change your views on a player :rolleyes:

RIP - Besian Idrizaj.

We completely needed to get rid of all of the strikers at the club. And completely start a fresh.

But out of the forwards we did have Idrizaj was one of the better, more confident players.

Very frustrated when commenting on the first post aswell, after failing to get into the play-offs due to the fact we couldn't score a goal thanks to our forwards.

& Rob. There's no way that Derby would beable to afford Riordan. They were in money troubles before signing Hooper, and i don't think they'll be able to sign Riordan.

Even if they did sign Riordan, the rest of the side will have to work. And i would see them finishing mid-table, they don't realistcally need to sign a forward unless they sell either Chris Porter or Rob Hulse.

& R0b. There's no way that Derby would beable to afford Riordan. They were in money troubles before signing Hooper' date=' and i don't think they'll be able to sign Riordan.

Even if they did sign Riordan, the rest of the side will have to work. And i would see them finishing mid-table, they don't realistcally need to sign a forward unless they sell either Chris Porter or R0b Hulse.[/quote']

I thought that in terms of financial trouble at Derby, but its a report on Sky Sports I read, so I thought I would post it.

Who dya reckon Swansea will buy/loan up front?

I wouldn't say we were in money troubles....

We just want to cut down the wage bill. Which we have done. The owners don't want us in "trouble", so we are going for sensible signings who aren't going to extend the wage bill again and put us into trouble again.

We've released the likes of Gary Teale and Jay McEveley due to the fact that they were still on Premier League wages, and thats what we're targetting. We can't afford Premier League wages at this moment in time.

The owners have already said, they are willing to spend money only if

1.) It's worth it

2.) If the player is of quality and can improve the squad.

In my opinion, I think we do need a new striker. As I have posted on here already, Gary Hooper is all but done. but if this Ridoran guy does come in from Hibs, then I wouldn't mind another!!

You need to remember, our injury record is abysmal, and I'd snap someones hand off if you offered me £1.5m for Hulse and 800k for Porter and £1m for Commons. We need players who are going to last the season. Not 10 games.

As for who's already in, Anderson, Martin and Roberts are all solid signings, and we've got Buijis, Brayford, Bailey and Cwyka all coming in this week. So its all looking good for Derby at the moment.

I wouldn't say we'll get promoted this season, but a top half finish would be the target. I would be extremely satisfied if we were to finish in and around 10th place.

UTR!!

Looks like the Koren to Leeds rumour might have had more substance than I gave it credit for Seft.

ALBION have decided not to take up the further year's option on Robert Koren's contract as Roberto Di Matteo reshapes his squad for the club's Barclays Premier League return.

Di Matteo has several midfield options at his disposal in the likes of Player-of-the-Year Graham Dorrans, Youssouf Mulumbu, Chris Brunt, James Morrison, Jerome Thomas and Giles Barnes.

But the club have been quick to thank Slovenia international Koren for his dedicated service over three and a half years at The Hawthorns.

Pretty bold move from the club. Stunned we haven't taken up the extra year on his deal, I can only put it down to the relationship between him and RDM being damaged beyond repair. If anybody in the Champ picks him up then it's a top, top freebie. On his day one of the best players in this league.

Looks like the Koren to Leeds rumour might have had more substance than I gave it credit for Seft.

Pretty bold move from the club. Stunned we haven't taken up the extra year on his deal' date=' I can only put it down to the relationship between him and RDM being damaged beyond repair. If anybody in the Champ picks him up then it's a top, top freebie. On his day one of the best players in this league.[/quote']

I can't understand why you let him go. He did fairly well in the Premiership last time and had a good season this year too. If you bring back Borja Valero to replace him then it does not make sense. Valero has been good for Mallorca but struggled for you last time. Will you be changing your name? :P

Edit: Rumour is that he is off to Wolves.

I thought that in terms of financial trouble at Derby' date=' but its a report on Sky Sports I read, so I thought I would post it.

Who dya reckon Swansea will buy/loan up front?[/quote']

Aslong as they buy/loan then i'll be happy.

Well Bouza's been released by the Swans, and ofcourse Idrizaj passed away. Dobbie's set to join Blackpool permanantly, Trundle doesn't look like he's staying at Swansea either.

Hope we sign Sam Vokes, Andy Keogh, Billy Sharp or Derek Riordan. I'd love Sharp, he'd be my first priority but anyone with an act for goal will be welcomed, even Robert Earnshaw :o

I can't understand why you let him go. He did fairly well in the Premiership last time and had a good season this year too. If you bring back Borja Valero to replace him then it does not make sense. Valero has been good for Mallorca but struggled for you last time. Will you be changing your name? :P

Edit: Rumour is that he is off to Wolves.

What with West Brom being the biggest example of a yo-yo team between the Prem and the Championship, I imagine Di Matteo is trying to resolve this problem by getting rid of all the players in the top championship/average to poor premiership players bracket, which by the sound of it Koren is in.

It'd be fantastic if we were to sign him, and a real show of intent. Also suits Bates style of freebies, however I presume his wages will be quite high. Can't really see it happening though.

What with West Brom being the biggest example of a yo-yo team between the Prem and the Championship' date=' I imagine Di Matteo is trying to resolve this problem by getting rid of all the players in the top championship/average to poor premiership players bracket, which by the sound of it Koren is in.

It'd be fantastic if we were to sign him, and a real show of intent. Also suits Bates style of freebies, however I presume his wages will be quite high. Can't really see it happening though.[/quote']

He might not be a good Premiership player but I always thought he was able to perform against sides around WBA. What happens if Dorrans struggles next season? Who else is going to win games for West Brom? Koren might not start all the time but he would be a good option to have.

I can see both sides of the argument re: Koren. Personally I'd come down on the side of it being the right decision. He's been fed up at the Albion for the best part of two years, he wants to play centre midfield but the bottom line is that he's just not quite good enough to fill that role regularly for us. It all came to a head when he had a very public fall out with RDM earlier this season and if indeed there's tension there and the player is unhappy, there's no sense in carrying a player in the Prem if he's not completely on board. You also have to consider the fact that his contract status would have been at the back of his mind pretty much throughout the campaign, which hardly helps contribute to a solid season.

In terms of replacing him we have Barnes and Morrison who were only tentatively working their way back to fitness at the back end of last season who when fit and firing are both better players in their respective positions. Steven Reid looks fairly likely to sign and just operates on a completely different level to Koren in terms of quality. Apparently the priority with Valero is still to sell him back to Spain so I would assume the money recouped from his sale and Koren's wages will be used to strengthen the midfield.

As for where he ends up it depends largely on what his priorities are. He's going to struggle to find a Premiership club who'll be willing to play him in centre midfield regularly, so if that's what he's set his heart on then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him stay in the Championship, and Leeds' are going to be one of the more attractive propositions next season. On the other hand this is his last big contract before he starts to decline from his peak, he was also on for a wage 'flex-up' this season with promotion so he won't be on peanuts. Might be worth keeping an eye on where Tony Mowbray ends up, they had a very good working relationship apparently.

Edit: Maybe I'll change my name to Luke Moore and hope it has the same effect. :D

He might not be a good Premiership player but I always thought he was able to perform against sides around WBA. What happens if Dorrans struggles next season? Who else is going to win games for West Brom? Koren might not start all the time but he would be a good option to have.

I imagine that's where the summer signings come in. You don't think WBA will go into next season without buying anyone, surely? If they're letting someone like Koren go I'd presume that they have some better quality players lined up.

Aslong as they buy/loan then i'll be happy.

Well Bouza's been released by the Swans' date=' and ofcourse Idrizaj passed away. D0bbie's set to join Blackpool permanantly, Trundle doesn't look like he's staying at Swansea either.

Hope we sign Sam Vokes, Andy Keogh, Billy Sharp or Derek Riordan. I'd love Sharp, he'd be my first priority but anyone with an act for goal will be welcomed, even R0bert Earnshaw :o[/quote']

I could see Vokes on loan and maybe Sharp, for the right price but Sousa will pr0b want a player from the Mediteranean:D

I imagine that's where the summer signings come in. You don't think WBA will go into next season without buying anyone' date=' surely? If they're letting someone like Koren go I'd presume that they have some better quality players lined up.[/quote']

I do think WBA will sign players this summer but with Koren you have a proven performer and a replacement would involve a transfer fee, maybe bigger wages and the risk they won't play aswell as he did.

I could see Vokes on loan and maybe Sharp' date=' for the right price but [b']Sousa will pr0b want a player from the Mediteranean[/b]:D

Yes. good point. But i can't exactly name a target from there :P They've been succesfull signings in the past though, from Martinez & Sousa. Rangel - Free, Bodde - 100k, Bessone - Free, Serran - 20k. I wouldn't mind Vokes on loan, i'm sure Vokes wouldn't mind joining either but it's up to the board.

If we could get Sharp, we'd be a good team, i'd love to see Sharp down here. But once again it's up to the board :rolleyes: And if you look at recent years they haven't really looked to spend 500-800k on a player.

Fortunalty this season they have, Cotterill was a great signing, on his day he's our best player. But Beattie for 500k & add-ons was a poor signing, if he got a run in the team it might out been different but he's injury prone and doesn't get on with Sousa according to local papers.

Yes. good point. But i can't exactly name a target from there :P They've been succesfull signings in the past though' date=' from Martinez & Sousa. Rangel - Free, Bodde - 100k, Bessone - Free, Serran - 20k. I wouldn't mind Vokes on loan, i'm sure Vokes wouldn't mind joining either but it's up to the board.

If we could get Sharp, we'd be a good team, i'd love to see Sharp down here. But once again it's up to the board :rolleyes: And if you look at recent years they haven't really looked to spend 500-800k on a player.

Fortunalty this season they have, Cotterill was a great signing, on his day he's our best player. But Beattie for 500k & add-ons was a poor signing, if he got a run in the team it might out been different but he's injury prone and doesn't get on with Sousa according to local papers.[/quote']

Am I right in spelling this but I feel Britton has been Swansea's best player the last 18 months from what I saw, I see in papers that Jordi Gomez, is linked back to Swansea but Swansea are owed summit like £1 million from the Martinez deal so would that end up givin the swans + £250k roughly speaking.

In terms of Craig Beattie he was always gonna be a flop, I never rated him. He's

very lazy and as you said injury prone.

Vokes would be a good target man, and Sharp would be SO GOOD up front but as you said the board may be weary if yano wher I'm coming from.

Would Swansea be able to afford Adrián COLUNGA off Recreativo?

or

Jonathan SORIANO who is a Free Agent, but his wage demands could block a deal, now they are just two names off the top of my head that would suit Swansea pitch wise.