Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Are you serious? It was that exact attitude that got Leeds into trouble in the first place... :rolleyes:

But Leeds were still spending money. We don't. Never have' date=' i don't want a Tony Petty that's for sure. I just want someone who will splash the cash.

At Swansea it's so frustrating. We here were getting 1 million from Wigan, aswell as the money for Martinez & Scotland rolling in day by day yet we can't afford to spend more than 600k on a player. The players we buy for fee's are kept to a minimum and we miss out on signing like Matt Mills to bring in Jordi Lopez, not good enough for our reserves yet he's our highest earner.

Cardiff have got away, time and time again for not paying back the money they owe. They bring in players like Chopra. There left without going into administration now as an owners saved them. If Swansea done that, spent money on availible players, then we'd of one the league buy a mile.

And i can't see how anyone can say that's an outrageous statement. Our defence was the best in the league, with De Vries picking up the most clean sheets in the league. The centre of midfield was as good as any, and it's a huge strong point of ours with the likes of Pratley, Allen, Bodde, Britton & Orlandi all among our best players. Cotterill was superb at the end of the season, Dyer was superb at the start of the season. We created chances, but the sheer fact is we needed three forwards, we got three forward but they were only at the quality of League 2.

Our main four strikers.

[b']Kuqi[/b] - couldn't hit a barn door (litterally, do i need to show the clip) He's strong, but doesn't look to shoot and take his chances, decent away from home but at home he's been nothing but poor. Our best forward.

Beattie - Injury prone, lazy, poor infront of goal. Had he had a run in the team it might of been different, but he didn't he got injured on three or four occasions and barely got in the squad because of it.

Trundle - Sousa never picks him, but when an older bigger slower less confident Lee Trundle is your top scorer in the Championship you know your in trouble. Decent, but he just doesn't have the pace to play at this level.

Pintado - He's a joke. He started most games this season for Swansea, yet he can only score 2 goals. Not fast enough, not strong enough, not good enough in goal yet Sousa picks him regularly. He actually does nothing for the team, terrible infront of goal and in reality i wouldn't sign him given the money for a Conference south club never mind the Championship.

We need something like this next season:

Keogh - Got the pace, good infront of goal and he's done it all before. He can finish chances given the delivery and someone who'd expect to get at least 10 goals in the Championship every season.

Riordan - Has an act for goals, always had and someone who i've always liked. I think he'll get us goals he also has a lot of pace and someone who we need.

Hulse - We need to spend money, starting with Rob Hulse. Someone who would do a good job in Swansea, i can see him adding a lot more thread to our set-pieces.

Trundle - He's willing to take a pay cut to join the Swans next season. We'll need to spend bigger with wages with the other three, and we can afford that by cutting down Trundle's wage bill next season.

But realistically we'll have Kuqi, Beattie, Pintado & some Spanish/Portugease bloke with poor quality.

Under Risdale we'd get the forward we need (Hulse/Riordan/Keogh) and in an ideal world Billy Sharp. And Seftinho, yes your Leeds one of the biggest clubs in English football, but you can't undermine other Championship clubs that have proven to be a success in the league. The Newcastle fans on the forum aren't immeadiatly calling there squad more attractive then clubs such as Blackburn, Bolton & Wolves, those clubs have proved themselves at that level and a player with the right mindset will look to join an established club. There not suggesting a potential target will immeadiatly chose them over an established club.

The Newcastle fans on the forum and immeadiatly calling there squad more attractive then clubs such as Blackburn' date=' Bolton & Wolves, those clubs have proved themselves at that level and a player with the right mindset will look to join an established club.[/center']

I don't much to complain about in your post except that. Please do show me some of examples of where that has been said.

I don't much to complain about in your post except that. Please do show me some of examples of where that has been said.

That hasn't been said. That was my point. I don't see the Newcastle fans suggesting that a certain target would immeadiatly favour them over a club like Blackburn, Bolton or Wolves.

That hasn't been said. That was my point. I don't see the Newcastle fans suggesting that a certain target would immeadiatly favour them over a club like Blackburn' date=' Bolton or Wolves.[/quote']

Sorry, I mis-understood your post. It just looked like you were saying Newcastle fans are saying that.

Sorry' date=' I mis-understood your post. It just looked like you were saying Newcastle fans are saying that.[/quote']

Sorry, it was very unclear. I've tried to clear it up a little.

And Wozza didn't someone already post the Kermogant song on here, or was that on another thread. Well regardless having two of the videos side by side has really w i d e n e d the thread.

But Leeds were still spending money. We don't. Never have' date=' i don't want a Tony Petty that's for sure. I just want someone who will splash the cash.

At Swansea it's so frustrating. We here were getting 1 million from Wigan, aswell as the money for Martinez & Scotland rolling in day by day yet we can't afford to spend more than 600k on a player. The players we buy for fee's are kept to a minimum and we miss out on signing like Matt Mills to bring in Jordi Lopez, not good enough for our reserves yet he's our highest earner.

Cardiff have got away, time and time again for not paying back the money they owe. They bring in players like Chopra. There left without going into administration now as an owners saved them. If Swansea done that, spent money on availible players, then we'd of one the league buy a mile.

And i can't see how anyone can say that's an outrageous statement. Our defence was the best in the league, with De Vries picking up the most clean sheets in the league. The centre of midfield was as good as any, and it's a huge strong point of ours with the likes of Pratley, Allen, Bodde, Britton & Orlandi all among our best players. Cotterill was superb at the end of the season, Dyer was superb at the start of the season. We created chances, but the sheer fact is we needed three forwards, we got three forward but they were only at the quality of League 2.

Our main four strikers.

[b']Kuqi[/b] - couldn't hit a barn door (litterally, do i need to show the clip) He's strong, but doesn't look to shoot and take his chances, decent away from home but at home he's been nothing but poor. Our best forward.

Beattie - Injury prone, lazy, poor infront of goal. Had he had a run in the team it might of been different, but he didn't he got injured on three or four occasions and barely got in the squad because of it.

Trundle - Sousa never picks him, but when an older bigger slower less confident Lee Trundle is your top scorer in the Championship you know your in trouble. Decent, but he just doesn't have the pace to play at this level.

Pintado - He's a joke. He started most games this season for Swansea, yet he can only score 2 goals. Not fast enough, not strong enough, not good enough in goal yet Sousa picks him regularly. He actually does nothing for the team, terrible infront of goal and in reality i wouldn't sign him given the money for a Conference south club never mind the Championship.

We need something like this next season:

Keogh - Got the pace, good infront of goal and he's done it all before. He can finish chances given the delivery and someone who'd expect to get at least 10 goals in the Championship every season.

Riordan - Has an act for goals, always had and someone who i've always liked. I think he'll get us goals he also has a lot of pace and someone who we need.

Hulse - We need to spend money, starting with Rob Hulse. Someone who would do a good job in Swansea, i can see him adding a lot more thread to our set-pieces.

Trundle - He's willing to take a pay cut to join the Swans next season. We'll need to spend bigger with wages with the other three, and we can afford that by cutting down Trundle's wage bill next season.

But realistically we'll have Kuqi, Beattie, Pintado & some Spanish/Portugease bloke with poor quality.

Under Risdale we'd get the forward we need (Hulse/Riordan/Keogh) and in an ideal world Billy Sharp. And Seftinho, yes your Leeds one of the biggest clubs in English football, but you can't undermine other Championship clubs that have proven to be a success in the league. The Newcastle fans on the forum and immeadiatly calling there squad more attractive then clubs such as Blackburn, Bolton & Wolves, those clubs have proved themselves at that level and a player with the right mindset will look to join an established club.

I'm not sure if you got my point. When Ridsdale was at Leeds, he spent money that he didn't have/money that he expected to have in the future. In short, he was spending beyond his mean, and that eventually came back to haunt the club. He's done the same thing at Cardiff but to a far lesser extent, and if they were to earn promotion to the Premier League at the weekend, they'd probably get away with his style of running a club.

If you had a man like him in charge at Swansea, you will experience more cons that pros, in my opinion. You might get a few star signings in the summer, but the whole club will be dogged by financial uncertainty, like Leeds and Cardiff have done throughout Ridsdale's tenures at each club. As a Wednesday fan, a club who has itself been ruined by irresponsible board members in the last 20 years, you don't realise how bad the consequences of the mentality that you seek for can actually be.

There are two ways that a "spend, spend, spend" philosophy can go. It can work out well for you, providing you have a strong head at the top in the boardroom. On the other hand, it can turn out very, very badly, as so many clubs can vouch for these days, including my own.

That hasn't been said. That was my point. I don't see the Newcastle fans suggesting that a certain target would immeadiatly favour them over a club like Blackburn' date=' Bolton or Wolves.[/quote']

It's kind of a fact though. If I was a professional footballer and I was offered the chance to pick Newcastle or someone like Blackburn, Bolton or Wolves, I'd pick Newcastle every time. The same goes for Leeds and Swansea; I'd pick Leeds every time. More illustrious clubs have a far greater pull due to their history and standing in the English game.

But Leeds were still spending money. We don't. Never have' date=' i don't want a Tony Petty that's for sure. I just want someone who will splash the cash.[/quote']

you are aware that football in this country is on the verge of imploding in the next year or so and there is a very strong chance that some teams will go out of business soon right?

As a Wednesday fan' date=' a club who has itself been ruined by irresponsible board members in the last 20 years, you don't realise how bad the consequences of the mentality that you seek for can actually be.[/quote']

yup - as much fun as it is to experience instant gratification i bet it isnt anywhere near as good as realising that the next 12 years you'll spend below the level that you were perfectly comfortable in

btw on a sidenote i thought the financial issues at wednesday were mostly cleared up a few years ago?

It's kind of a fact though. If I was a professional footballer and I was offered the chance to pick Newcastle or someone like Blackburn' date=' Bolton or Wolves, I'd pick Newcastle every time. The same goes for Leeds and Swansea; I'd pick Leeds every time. More illustrious clubs have a far greater pull due to their history and standing in the English game.[/quote']

yup - certain clubs have a pull at different levels that other teams who may be in a better financial/league position cannot compete with - whether it be the manchester clubs in the prem, leeds and forest in CCC/l1 vs swansea/blackpool etc

And Seftinho' date=' yes your Leeds one of the biggest clubs in English football, but you can't undermine other Championship clubs that have proven to be a success in the league. The Newcastle fans on the forum aren't immeadiatly calling there squad more attractive then clubs such as Blackburn, Bolton & Wolves, those clubs have proved themselves at that level and a player with the right mindset will look to join an established club. There not suggesting a potential target will immeadiatly chose them over an established club.[/center']

Did you read my post? It's nothing to with undermining, it's fact. For the majority of players, Leeds would be a more attractive club to join than Swansea, no? Same goes with Newcastle. If they were fighting Bolton or Wolves for a particular player, both had bids accepted, the players would more likely join Newcastle, even if offered less.

Not necessarily every time, we've had players turn us down for a variety of reasons - Hammill, Barnard, etc, but we have plenty who have turned down Championship teams to join us - Kisnorbo turned down Palace, Johnson turned down Leicester. If Beckford were at any other League 1 club he'd probably have stayed much less than 3 seasons. Robinson won PotY for your very club, and then left you to join us even though we lost in the play-offs. As good an example of any that really proves my point.

btw on a sidenote i thought the financial issues at wednesday were mostly cleared up a few years ago?

We're in a position where we can operate as a stable club quite comfortably' date=' thanks mainly to a very considerate Co-op bank, who are very happy just collecting their annual interest payments from us (and why wouldn't they?). But we still have a £25m+ debt hanging around our neck like an albatross, and while it remains, there is little that we can do to progress as a club as we just don't have the funds available to buy good players (and pay them suitably - until last season, Wednesday had one of the lowest wage budgets in the Championship).

You've probably seen us in the news a bit this week, due to us turning down a bid from an American investment group (Club 9 Sports), and then our chairman resigning soon after. It appears that, as a result of our relegation to League One, one group of investers dropped out and that caused a pre-arranged/talked about deal to then be lowered, and the bid submitted was quite laughable. Up front, they were offering about £1.5m for 40% of new shares with annual maintenance charges in excess of £400k. There was more to the deal as the years went on, but it certainly wasn't good enough. Lee Strafford, who'd been in charge for about 18 months looking to negotiate some sort of investment deal, has now resigned citing that there were contrasting opinions behind the scenes in the Wednesday boardroom (i.e. the old stooges who have lasted so long since the Premier League days, causing the havoc that they have, were causing problems - they are the ones holding our club back, but there's not much that we can do to get rid of them). I'm absolutely devastated that Strafford has left because he's done so much in his short time at the club and was a breath of fresh air around Hillsborough. Unfortunately, the ill-educated didn't appreciate him and were often knocking him for not fulfilling promises and continuing to spit out "spin and hot air". They seem to forget that Wednesday's isn't the most attractive of business options (due to the complex share structure and huge debt), as well as the world experiencing the worst financial crisis in history recently. :rolleyes:

(Sorry for perhaps boring you, but I thought it may be of interest.)

yup - certain clubs have a pull at different levels that other teams who may be in a better financial/league position cannot compete with - whether it be the manchester clubs in the prem, leeds and forest in CCC/l1 vs swansea/blackpool etc

And, as a matter of fact, Wednesday/Southampton/Charlton in League One for next season.

Robinson won PotY for your very club' date=' and then left you to join us even though we lost in the play-offs. As good an example of any that really proves my point.[/quote']

I'm glad Robinson joined you. He's a terrible, overweight, lazy, uncontrable player. When did he agree to join you though? Not after your play-off loss, before it.

Martinez told him to make his mind-up the monday before the play-off final, and he chose you purely for the money. It's the worst decision of his career, had he stayed with us he wouldn't have gained as much weight as he did, and lost as much fitness as he did. He might of even been playing regular football in the Championship, instead he's far from the Leeds first team and will never play above League 1 level.

I'm glad Robinson joined you. He's a terrible' date=' overweight, lazy, uncontrable player. When did he agree to join you though? Not after your play-off loss, before it.

Martinez told him to make his mind-up the monday before the play-off final, and he chose you purely for the money. It's the worst decision of his career, had he stayed with us he wouldn't have gained as much weight as he did, and lost as much fitness as he did. He might of even been playing regular football in the Championship, instead he's far from the Leeds first team and will never play above League 1 level.[/quote']

Aidan, that's not the point Luke's making. It doesn't matter that things didn't work out for Robinson. The point is that Robinson chose (potentially) League One Leeds over Championship Swansea.

Aidan' date=' that's not the point Luke's making. It doesn't matter that things didn't work out for Robinson. The point is that Robinson chose (potentially) League One Leeds over Championship Swansea.[/quote']

He took a gamble in joining Leeds. He took about three weeks to decide his fate regardless, it's not as if every target will join Leeds over Swansea any day. Billy Sharp or Andy Keogh might want to play with a squad that possesses more quality, or for a side that will play some good football. There's more factors than money in football, even nowadays, some do go for the money but there's plenty of players left who are happy to take pay-cuts to help the financial state of the club.

He took a gamble in joining Leeds. He took about three weeks to decide his fate regardless' date=' it's not as if every target will join Leeds over Swansea any day. Billy Sharp or Andy Keogh might want to play with a squad that possesses more quality, or for a side that will play some good football. There's more factors than money in football, even nowadays, some do go for the money but there's plenty of players left who are happy to take pay-cuts to help the financial state of the club.[/quote']

Again, you've completely missed the point. We're not talking about money here. And again, did you read my entire post? Not every single player would choose a team like us over a team like Swansea, the likes of Hammill and Barnard are examples of this.

However, for every player that would choose Swansea over Leeds, there are about two or three that would choose Leeds. We'll probably spend as much on wages as you do, knowing Bates. Refusing to offer Beckford a better contract is proof of that. No, we're talking about stature. Before Stevie_Blade gets on my case, I'll be the first to admit we're not a big club anymore. However, very few would argue that we're smaller than Swansea, or Blackpool, or Barnsley. And that is why someone like Sharp would be more likely to join us than Swansea, given the choice, money aside. For the majority of players, we're a more attractive team to join, because of the history, because of the fans, because playing for Leeds still means something.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Comprendre?

Again' date=' you've completely missed the point. We're not talking about money here. And again, did you read my entire post? Not every single player would choose a team like us over a team like Swansea, the likes of Hammill and Barnard are examples of this.

However, for every player that would choose Swansea over Leeds, there are about two or three that would choose Leeds. We'll probably spend as much on wages as you do, knowing Bates. Refusing to offer Beckford a better contract is proof of that. No, we're talking about stature. Before Stevie_Blade gets on my case, I'll be the first to admit we're not a big club anymore. However, very few would argue that we're smaller than Swansea, or Blackpool, or Barnsley. And that is why someone like Sharp would be more likely to join us than Swansea, given the choice, money aside. For the majority of players, we're a more attractive team to join, because of the history, because of the fans, because playing for Leeds still means something.

That's the point I'm trying to make. [b']Comprendre?[/b]

Stop speaking French and listen to me :P

Swansea are a better side than Leeds. A more attractive, passing side who have brought some good players to the club like David Cotterill & Nathan Dyer last season.

Wait, so were on a similar level to Barnsley? Swansea is a big City aswell you know, it rains a lot but it's a City when your living in the right areas for a nice life style.

We'll have too see wont we. Aslong as we attract a half decent British striker i'll be happy, but i'm sick off the ways of foreign football. Bring back British football, bring back goals, bring back Brian Flynn.

Swansea are a better side than Leeds. A more attractive' date=' passing side who have brought some good players to the club like David Cotterill & Nathan Dyer last season.

Wait, so were on a similar level to Barnsley? Swansea is a big City aswell you know, it rains a lot but it's a City when your living in the right areas for a nice life style.

We'll have too see wont we. Aslong as we attract a half decent British striker i'll be happy, but i'm sick off the ways of foreign football. [b']Bring back British football, bring back goals, bring back Brian Flynn.[/b]

ryt, letrs sort this ou, r0binson joined leeds for money as his playing days were numbered, he saw the chance to pick up some nice wages and jumped at it, he didnt go to leeds for 'potential' he went there for money, and money only, and yes bring back british football, although im irish:D:D:D:D:D

Swansea are a better side than Leeds. A more attractive' date=' passing side who have brought some good players to the club like David Cotterill & Nathan Dyer last season.

We'll have too see wont we. Aslong as we attract a half decent British striker i'll be happy, but i'm sick off the ways of foreign football. [b']Bring back British football, bring back goals, bring back Brian Flynn.[/b]

It amazes me that you still find something to argue about Aidan. Maybe Swansea are a better side than Leeds footballing-wise and maybe it's a better city to live in blah blah blah - it really doesn't matter. This is just a pure and simple fact:

For the majority of players' date=' we're a more attractive team to join, because of the history, because of the fans, because playing for Leeds still means something.[/quote']

Please, accept this: as a club - and regardless of any other factors - Leeds are a more attractive team to join than most in the Championship.

Guest CPFC Liam

It would be a no brainer which team I'd choose out of Leeds and Swansea.

I'd choose Leeds, but if your talking about teams who would finish higher than each other next season, then I'd probably say Swansea unless Leeds sign Hooper, Sharp e.t.c.