Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

I'd choose Leeds' date=' but if your talking about teams who would finish higher than each other next season, then I'd probably say Swansea unless Leeds sign Hooper, Sharp e.t.c.[/quote']

I would also choose Leeds. Its a much more exciting prospect.

You have the chance of playing in front of a FULL Elland Road.

You are following the footsteps of many legendary Leeds sides - especially in the 70's

The club has a fantastic history! They are one of the biggest sides in England! Its just been extremely unfortunate how they have slumped to this all time low. I'm sure if they were still finanically stable, they'd be challenging the top 4 in the Premier League.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Guest JackWWFC

I would also choose Leeds. Its a much more exciting prospect.

You have the chance of playing in front of a FULL Elland Road.

You are following the footsteps of many legendary Leeds sides - especially in the 70's

The club has a fantastic history! They are one of the biggest sides in England! Its just been extremely unfortunate how they have slumped to this all time low. I'm sure if they were still finanically stable' date=' they'd be challenging the top 4 in the Premier League.[/quote']

Leeds fan's though :rolleyes:;)

Stop speaking French and listen to me :P

Swansea are a better side than Leeds. A more attractive' date=' passing side who have brought some good players to the club like David Cotterill & Nathan Dyer last season.[/quote']

Nothing to prove this. Not denying it, but judging by the fact that we battered Palace last season, beat Watford this, unlucky not to beat Liverpool and beat Man United at OT, there's nothing to prove you have a better team, although on paper that may seem to be the case. Sure, we were in a lower division, but only because a completely different group of players took us there (as well as money problems).

As for more attractive, passing side - so are we, when we play other teams who like to pass. Watch our performances against Spurs, Man United, Liverpool, Watford. In League 1 we often end up forced to play boring football because that is the standard of that level, because other teams are doing it to us, etc. So in the Championship, who knows.

Just arguing for arguing's sake here though really, we're moving away from my original point. There's really no way of proving what you said though, it's a matter of opinion.

Wait' date=' so were on a similar level to Barnsley? Swansea is a big City aswell you know, it rains a lot but it's a City when your living in the right areas for a nice life style.[/quote']

Where did I say that? I was merely pointing out examples of Championship clubs of similar stature.

but i'm sick off the ways of foreign football. Bring back British football' date=' bring back goals, bring back Brian Flynn.[/b']

Not really sure what to make of this comment.

tnk u mate' date=' look get over leeds past its history SWANSEA WILL BE IN THE PREM BEFORE LEEDS (GOD I HOPE TO GOD THEY WILL)

Are you for real? :confused:

Guest CPFC Liam

tnk u mate' date=' look get over leeds past its history SWANSEA WILL BE IN THE PREM BEFORE LEEDS (GOD I HOPE TO GOD THEY WILL)

Wow.... It's History... One of a team's biggest factor's is it's History.

Also, Let's check who this guy supports? Chelsea. And where does he live? Ireland.

Also' date=' Let's check who this guy supports? Chelsea. And where does he live? Ireland.[/quote']

Lets not go into that.

But I have to agree, Leeds do have the base to become a huge side once more. They have the stadium, they have the fans, they have an expectional youth system, a very good manager and some good players, and if they manage to add some more quality players, because they have the pulling power to, then I can't see why they won't be up there or there abouts next season!

yes' date=' although leeds are giants in a sense and no disrespect to you, but i cannot see leeds going up for at least two seasons and swansea, if they sign a good striker and replace britton they will go up[/quote']

I was more referring to the history part. History is a big reason why Leeds are more attractive. Not the only reason, and not enough to mean we're still a big club given what has happened in the last decade, but a big part of it nonetheless. As Wozza and CPFC Liam have said and explained.

I can't see us going up any time soon either, but with Swansea who knows. It's not as simple as just signing a good striker. I would agree that they have one of the better teams in this league, but the current season has only just finished. Who knows what'll happen in pre-season, who knows who they will buy or lose, who knows who other teams will buy or sell. I definitely think they will be up there, but it's way too early to start making presumptions.

And after one season, who knows where everyone will sit. Providing we don't go down, we can consolidate like Leicester have, like Forest have, like Blackpool and Swansea have. So much changes between seasons. You have teams fighting for promotion one year and then fighting to stay up the next. Hard to say what will happen in the future. But it'd be naïve to think that just because Swansea did well one season, they'll be up there every season until they go up. Nothing's ever this simple in football.

Also' date=' Let's check who this guy supports? Chelsea. And where does he live? Ireland.[/quote']

Yeah wats wrong with Ireland and I know where your going with this and before u start punk I'll tell u how long 9 years i've supported them didnt follow teams til i was 6 and now I'm 15 also just to clarify with u Zola was the man dat made me support them, good footie player very good with poyet, melchiot, tore andre flo etc. then 2 years later in came abromavich dude seriously not my fault abromavich came in and made my team one of the best in the world, i supported them before the money so dont come ou and attack me mate

Guest CPFC Liam

Lets not go into that.

But I have to agree' date=' Leeds do have the base to become a huge side once more. They have the stadium, they have the fans, they have an expectional youth system, a very good manager and some good players, and if they manage to add some more quality players, because they have the pulling power to, then I can't see why they won't be up there or there abouts next season![/quote']

Yeah. ;)

Leeds would not manage to get promoted to the PL with the squad they have at the moment, they only managed to nab League 1 Promotion. It depends on how busy they are in the Transfer Market, Billy Sharp and Gary Hooper are both linked with them and they both managed 15+ goals in the Championship. Palace's Left back Clint Hill is linked with them who when he is at his best doesen't let anyone get past him and he has a great left foot and great heading ability. He can also play Centre Back.

I was more referring to the history part. History is a big reason why Leeds are more attractive. Not the only reason' date=' and not enough to mean we're still a big club given what has happened in the last decade, but a big part of it nonetheless. As Wozza and CPFC Liam have said and explained.

I can't see us going up any time soon either, but with Swansea who knows. It's not as simple as just signing a good striker. I would agree that they have one of the better teams in this league, but the current season has only just finished. Who knows what'll happen in pre-season, who knows who they will buy or lose, who knows who other teams will buy or sell. I definitely think they will be up there, but it's way too early to start making presumptions.

And after one season, who knows where everyone will sit. Providing we don't go down, we can consolidate like Leicester have, like Forest have, like Blackpool and Swansea have. So much changes between seasons. You have teams fighting for promotion one year and then fighting to stay up the next. Hard to say what will happen in the future. But it'd be naïve to think that just because Swansea did well one season, they'll be up there every season until they go up. Nothing's ever this simple in football.[/quote']

also to wozza, yeve both made fantastic points Leeds have one of the best youth systems in Britain, certainly top 5 best academies in Britain. I just think Swansea have an edge, I like both clubs I'm a neutral in the Chamiponship, unless Swindon go up and I would love to see both go up I'm just saying Swansea have a better team at the current moment in time and I dont think we should refer to history its the present day yano what i mean. swansea are really just a striker an plamaker away from being the complete side whilst leeds are maybe a centre haf, full bak, winger, cm and striker.

Yeah. ;)

Leeds would not manage to get promoted to the PL with the squad they have at the moment' date=' they only managed to nab League 1 Promotion. It depends on how busy they are in the Transfer Market, Billy Sharp and Gary Hooper are both linked with them and they both managed 15+ goals in the Championship. Palace's Left back Clint Hill is linked with them who when he is at his best doesen't let anyone get past him and he has a great left foot and great heading ability. He can also play Centre Back.[/quote']

Haha definitely. However our team's not as bad as people make out. On their day they could match anyone in this league, as proved in the FA Cup. It's just a shame that "their day" happens so rarely. Consistency is our problem, and we have a fairly young team, particularly in midfield, who seem to struggle with the pressure.

I'm hoping that with more space and time, and with a better quality of football, our players will be able to play like they know they can. With more space on the ball and more attractive football the likes of Kilkenny and Snodgrass should be able to shine without getting cropped every few minutes.

They're better than people presume, judging by our results in 2010, but we definitely need to strengthen. Beckford needs replacing, a midfield battler is needed to play alongside Kilkenny/Howson (Montgomery hopefully), and a new centre-back is also essential. Collins and Hill have been linked. New full-back would also be required but not necessarily essential, same with a winger (bit light in that department). At the moment though, I have no idea what will happen next year. We could follow Leicester and be fighting for the play-offs, at the same time we could completely crumble and go straight back down. I'd be delighted with mid-table mediocrity.

also to wozza' date=' yeve both made fantastic points Leeds have one of the best youth systems in Britain, certainly top 5 best academies in Britain. I just think Swansea have an edge, I like both clubs I'm a neutral in the Chamiponship, unless Swindon go up and I would love to see both go up I'm just saying Swansea have a better team at the current moment in time [b']and I dont think we should refer to history its the present day yano what i mean.[/b] swansea are really just a striker an plamaker away from being the complete side whilst leeds are maybe a centre haf, full bak, winger, cm and striker.

See, this is where you're missing the point. The point we're trying to make is that, in most player's eyes, Leeds are a more attractive team to join that Swansea. History plays a big part in that.

I'm not ignoring R0b's post' date=' just don't want to start like Wozza said so I'm taking it to PM.[/quote']

Liam, i dont want this to get personal uve been on Sm before u do know ur stuff u wer King Colo or sumtin like dat I just felt u made it too personal, wich was uncalled for

See' date=' this is where you're missing the point. The point we're trying to make is that, in most player's eyes, Leeds are a more attractive team to join that Swansea. History plays a big part in that.[/quote']

i do see the point i just think players shud focus on the present. deegan wud be a good cm by the way, the next roy keane

Guest CPFC Liam

Haha definitely. However our team's not as bad as people make out. On their day they could match anyone in this league' date=' as proved in the FA Cup. It's just a shame that "their day" happens so rarely. Consistency is our problem, and we have a fairly young team, particularly in midfield, who seem to struggle with the pressure.

I'm hoping that with more space and time, and with a better quality of football, our players will be able to play like they know they can. With more space on the ball and more attractive football the likes of Kilkenny and Snodgrass should be able to shine without getting cropped every few minutes.

They're better than people presume, judging by our results in 2010, but we definitely need to strengthen. Beckford needs replacing, a midfield battler is needed to play alongside Kilkenny/Howson (Montgomery hopefully), and a new centre-back is also essential. Collins and Hill have been linked. New full-back would also be required but not necessarily essential, same with a winger (bit light in that department). At the moment though, I have no idea what will happen next year. We could follow Leicester and be fighting for the play-offs, at the same time we could completely crumble and go straight back down. I'd be delighted with mid-table mediocrity.[/quote']

Yeah, like when you beat us 4-0 in the Carling Cup last season :mad::mad:

Yeah like Jeff Stelling said on Sky Sports, Bristol Rovers were dominating you before they scored but then you lot just took total control of the match. Seems your players just need a good kick up the backside!

The Other thing is, you need to wait for the players to gel, one Striker is fine but when you buy a whole new team like Man City you need to give the team a season or so until they gel together.

Guest CPFC Liam

Liam' date=' i dont want this to get personal uve been on Sm before u do know ur stuff u wer King Colo or sumtin like dat I just felt u made it too personal, wich was uncalled for[/quote']

Yeah, I just thought with your first comment you might be a twelve year old who supports Man U one day and Chelsea the next.

Yeah' date=' I just thought with your first comment you might be a twelve year old who supports Man U one day and Chelsea the next.[/quote']

Naw naw man im a true blue. im blue thru and thru. god i hate united, people support them for success, and I just didnt like the way u said Ireland etc. I just didnt get why it became personal you know what I mean.

Guest CPFC Liam

also Liam glad ur back on ur well known.

It depends if someone lets me or not *hint* :)

Naw naw man im a true blue. im blue thru and thru. god i hate united' date=' people support them for success, and I just didnt like the way u said Ireland etc. I just didnt get why it became personal you know what I mean.[/quote']

I have nothing against Ireland, infact I'm from Ireland, O'Connor is my surname :) I only mentioned them because you support Chelsea yet you live in Ireland. Which has now been explained.

Nothing to prove this. Not denying it' date=' but judging by the fact that we battered Palace last season, beat Watford this, unlucky not to beat Liverpool and beat Man United at OT, there's nothing to prove you have a better team, although on paper that may seem to be the case. Sure, we were in a lower division, but only because a completely different group of players took us there (as well as money problems).

As for more attractive, passing side - so are we, when we play other teams who like to pass. Watch our performances against Spurs, Man United, Liverpool, Watford. In League 1 we often end up forced to play boring football because that is the standard of that level, because other teams are doing it to us, etc. So in the Championship, who knows.[/quote']

Battering Palace proves nothing :P We do have a better team, at this current time, it's fact, you can't really expect to have a better squad than the team who finished 7th in the league after just being promoted, although you do have a strong side for league 1 football last season. At this current time though we do have a stronger team, your attackers are much better than ours but in every other department we are superior. If you have a strong season next season and we don't this will change, and in time aslong as you do avoid relegation then you will have a stronger side but at the moment we do have the stronger side whether you like it or not.

As for you playing good football, or as good of football as us ... have you seen us play this season? We are the ultimate possesion masters, as for attacking football that's not the case, but we keep the ball so well especially at home. And League one is a complete tradgedy when trying to play football, but we played some decent stuff when we one the league by a mile a couple of seasons ago.

There's not too many attractive sides in the Championship. We're the most attractive, i think everyone on here would agree with that. Donaster play some decent stuff, Coventry did last year but under Boothroyd that wont be the case. West Brom were attacking, but did the keep the ball when needed to, and Newcastle played some nice stuff at home, but they've both gone up. Forest don't really pass it around that much, they just attack similar situation with Leicester, just less attacking. But other than that there isn't great passing sides throughout the Championship, but sometimes that is succesfull, take Stoke, Burnley & Watford's promotion.

But on another note, this has been such a competitive Championship this year. Remebering when Stoke went up through the automatics, if only this seasons Swansea side were in that seasons, we'd of been promoted.

With the appointment of Boothroyd' date=' I've come to realise that from the Championship downwards the quantity of hoofball-playing managers goes off the scale.[/quote']

I do feel sorry for you, and any other Coventry fan. What was the point in that is the message. Get rid of a decent manager, who although couldn't find consistancy was a solid manager. Bring in a hoofball manager, who's never done superb in the transfer window.

You need to strengthen your defence though, and immeadiatly. Selling Dann & Fox and replacing them with no real quality has really left your defence among the worst in the division.

But on another note' date=' this has been such a competitive Championship this year. Remebering when Stoke went up through the automatics, if only this seasons Swansea side were in that seasons, we'd of been promoted.[/quote']

and how did you come to that conclusion may i ask?