Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

and how did you come to that conclusion may i ask?

Well in a year were a super strong Forest side missed out on promotion, with Cardiff having to settle for 4th & Leicester & Blackpool only reaching play-off places in great season. Whilst a strong Swansea side just missed out on the play-offs, with sides like M'Boro, Sheff. Utd ... far from a play off place.

Whilst that year i'd say any of the top five from this year would have been promoted automatically. There's many other examples of this, but that does stand out as one of the main one's but it's more of this year being a strong season more than anything rather than your play-off final drop out being at a time of weakness for other club.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

I do feel sorry for you' date=' and any other Coventry fan. What was the point in that is the message. Get rid of a decent manager, who although couldn't find consistancy was a solid manager. Bring in a hoofball manager, who's never done superb in the transfer window.

You need to strengthen your defence though, and immeadiatly. Selling Dann & Fox and replacing them with no real quality has really left your defence among the worst in the division.[/quote']

I think your assumption of Cookie being a decent manager comes from him being a Swansea lad. He was a nice enough bloke, but under him we had 3 shocking ends to each season. Hoofball has been synonymous with every manager post-relegation bar Roland Nilsson and Eric Black.

We could have done worse than Boothroyd, granted, but he had the luxury of having no real pressure when taking over Watford (which helped them a lot when they went up), and at Colchester the fans didn't seem upset at his loss. What disappoints me though is after some of the managers we'd been linked with (Boloni, Curbishley, Mowbray in my descending order of preference), we went with him.

I think your assumption of Cookie being a decent manager comes from him being a Swansea lad. He was a nice enough bloke' date=' but under him we had 3 shocking ends to each season. Hoofball has been synonymous with every manager post-relegation bar Roland Nilsson and Eric Black.

We could have done worse than Boothroyd, granted, but he had the luxury of having no real pressure when taking over Watford (which helped them a lot when they went up), and at Colchester the fans didn't seem upset at his loss. What disappoints me though is after some of the managers we'd been linked with (Boloni, Curbishley, Mowbray in my descending order of preference), we went with him.[/quote']

Well yeh, that's pretty much the case. But it's rare that a manager from Swansea gets to a half decent job anywhere, see Simon Davey. Now managing conference bound Darlington, after managing Barnsley in the Championship for a couple of seasons.

Lets not go into that.

But I have to agree' date=' Leeds do have the base to become a huge side once more. They have the stadium, they have the fans, they have an expectional youth system, a very good manager and some good players, and if they manage to add some more quality players, because they have the pulling power to, then I can't see why they won't be up there or there abouts next season![/quote']

yup - playing in front of a full elland road probably tops most other places in the CCC (and if leeds do well next year the place will fill up), leeds is a really, really good city to live in so the lifestyles sorted and the CCC will be very open next year so its not totally out of the question that they could be in the playoff mix

With the appointment of Boothroyd' date=' I've come to realise that from the Championship downwards the quantity of hoofball-playing managers goes off the scale.[/quote']

you guys sacked coleman because of a bad end to the season - did your board look at how colchester ended the season??

It depends if someone lets me or not *hint* :)

I have nothing against Ireland' date=' infact I'm from Ireland, O'Connor is my surname :) I only mentioned them because you support Chelsea yet you live in Ireland. Which has now been explained.[/quote']

yeh its been explained, also if u are aloud bak on any chance of joining a few set ups:)

There's not too many attractive sides in the Championship. We're the most attractive' date=' i think everyone on here would agree with that. Donaster play some decent stuff, Coventry did last year but under Boothroyd that wont be the case. West Brom were attacking, but did the keep the ball when needed to, and Newcastle played some nice stuff at home, but they've both gone up. Forest don't really pass it around that much, they just attack similar situation with Leicester, just less attacking. But other than that there isn't great passing sides throughout the Championship, but sometimes that is succesfull, take Stoke, Burnley & Watford's promotion.[/quote']

I'm sorry, but you're not. That award is shared by Doncaster and West Brom, from this season at least. Swansea play some decent football but Doncaster are far, far superior to you lot in terms of the standard of the football that they play.

I'm sorry' date=' but you're not. That award is shared by Doncaster and West Brom, from this season at least. Swansea play some decent football but Doncaster are far, far superior to you lot in terms of the [b']standard of the football[/b] that they play.

I wouldn't say that they play a better standard of football, otherwise they would have finished higher up the table. Better to watch, maybe, but their standard is mid-table of the Championship, which is where they finished.

I wouldn't say that they play a better standard of football' date=' otherwise they would have finished higher up the table. Better to watch, maybe, but their standard is mid-table of the Championship, which is where they finished.[/quote']

I class "standard of football" as how attractively they play and pass the ball, and Doncaster are the best in the league. Swansea stake a strong claim for the strongest defence in the league, which may aid their "standard of football", but on the grounds that I am talking about, Doncaster are superior. But that doesn't mean that they are a better team as a whole which you allude to here.

Guest CPFC Liam

yeh its been explained' date=' also if u are aloud bak on any chance of joining a few set ups:)[/quote']

Yeah Maybe :)

I'm sorry' date=' but you're not. That award is shared by Doncaster and West Brom, from this season at least. Swansea play some decent football but Doncaster are far, far superior to you lot in terms of the standard of the football that they play.[/quote']

I find myself agreeing with you again. Doncaster destroyed us 3-0 as they just played like Arsenal and although West Brom dominated the two matches we played against them, we won 1-0 and then on the second to last game of the season we drew 1-1. Also, Sphorpe seemed to be a good passing side, for a team who had just been promoted I thought they would hoof it, but they passed it around loads in our half and destroyed us 4-0.

If playing 63 passes backwards then sideways in your own half constitutes good football, then swansea are the team of the decade...Thing is, it don't win you matches nor score you goals. (As their goals for tally clearly shows).

PMT setting in here! 22 hours and 32 minutes to go.

I have to agree about Swansea. I watched the match against Newcastle in a pub and almost fell asleep. They keep the ball well but there are no incisive passes. It may be down to not having a cutting edge upfront but they have a bit to go if they want to play like West Brom.