Tudgay - Varney

---------------------------------

Hooper - Hayes

Woolford - O'Connor - McCann - Sparrow

Williams - Jones - Byrne - Spence

Murphy

69_1203488261.gif67_front_small.gif

First Half

The Owls were quickest out of the blocks in this one as new loan recruit Luke Varney began to show what Wednesday had been missing up front. Marcus Tudgay benefited from having an out-and-out striker by his side as the pair, and their teammates look to get the home side off to the perfect start. Tommy Spurr threaded a pass through to Varney who was slow to make his mind up and was forced to settle for a corner. Darren Potter floated a ball to the back post where Spurr nodded it back across goal for fellow defender to head home right on the line. Shorpe were shocked by their opponents fast start and were slow to pick themselves up. After just twelve minutes, Varney was again causing trouble as he set up Jermaine Johnson to slam home from about 12 yards out, although there was a slight deflection. Wednesday were playing well and with confidence and skipper Darren Purse should have made it three when Varney headed it down perfectly, only for the centre-back to execute a classic defender's volley wide of the post. Moments later, and with the Irons defence in complete disarray, Varney found himself through on goal, only for Joe Murphy to save his tame effort. It was Marcus Tudgay who got the third when he sprung excellently to head home Michael Gray's corner. And Tudgay should have had another when well-placed and with plenty of time to pick his spot, but Murphy saved his poor, indecisive shot. Shorpe were completely outplayed during the first period and, as the half-time whistle went, they will have been glad that they were only three down.

Second Half

Just like the opening day of the season, Wednesday were slugglish after half-time when holding a dominant lead. Matt Sparrow almost got a chance to work Lee Grant, but Spurr slid in with an excellent last-ditch tackle. Varney should have scored when through on goal again but Murphy got down well as the 26-year-old tried to round the 'keeper. But when Shorpe failed to deal with another Wednesday corner, Tudgay's shot broke to Potter who let fly from 18-yards to make it 4-0. Varney was again through on goal for a third time, but Murphy got the better of him once more, before the striker was substituted. That, and a series of other substitutions killed the game and the last 20 minutes were played at a laborious pace.

Wednesday got themselves a first win of the season, and an impresive one at that but it really should have much more comprehensive. Without exaggerating, the home side had enough clear-cut chances to score ten goals, but the hosts failed to take advantage of the easy chances on offer.

Man of the Match

Darren Potter - I would have said Varney, had he not spurned so many great chances, as he was instrumental in everything he did. But it was Potter who was the one who was controlling the play in central midfield. When he's in the groove, Potter really does have a touch of class about him and he truly showed it today by time and again splitting apart the dodgy Shorpe back four.

Other Impressive Performers

Like I said, bar his finishing, Varney was superb. He linked up brilliantly with Tudgay, he was impressive in the air, his pace was lethal and he never let the opposition have a moment's rest. To be honest, the whole Wednesday side played well and displayed some fantastic football on occasions. Also, an honourable mention must go to Joe Murphy who did well to keep the score a tad respectable.

Least Impressive Performers

Now for the bad news. While Wednesday fans will be pleased with the big win, it must be taken with a pinch of salt, because Shorpe were abysmal. It is rare that you see such and abject showing from a visiting side and some of the defending on show was terrible. It really was schoolboy stuff and Nigel Adkins will have work to do as, if they carry on playing like that, they haven't got a hope in hell's chance of staying up. They offered nothing up front with Lee Grant barely having anything to do all afternoon as everyone out there this weekend had a bad game.

Low-Rated Performers

Sheffield Wednesday:

Francis Jeffers (79, 28, CF) - subbed on 70 mins

Shorpe United:

Jordan Spence (75, 19, CB/RB) - 90 mins

Matt Sparrow (79, 25, RM/CM) - 90 mins

Michael O'Connor (74, 21, CM) - 45 mins

Martyn Woolford (77, 23, Wing) - 90 mins

Paul Hayes (79, 25, Fwd) - 90 mins

Gary Hooper (79, 21, Fwd) - 90 mins

Niall Canavan (NOT ON DB, 18, CB) - subbed on 28 mins

Josh Wright (74, 19, CM) - subben on 46 mins

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Re: The Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 Season

Andy. Im off to port vale tmoz' date=' To watch us batter the team that beat United.

WOOOOO[/quote']

Hmm, this didn't quite go to plan, did it? Did you still go, because apparently, we were awful? No thanks to Franny Jeffers. What a waste of space. :mad:

Congrats to Port Vale though; I hear they deserved to win and that they absolutely murdered us on occasions when we went down to 10-men.

Shorpe 2-1 Swansea

swansea lost 2-1 in the league cup match against Shorpe. James Linington was the worst ref i've ever seen and sent of 3 swansea players wrongly aswell as giving a contreversiol penalty. He also failed to protect our players and Stephen Dobbie couldn't conitinue while the ref forced swansea to put Besian Idrijaz on the pitch so the game wouldn't be abondend. We dominated throughout the match even when we were in affect down to 6 men with Idrijaz right on the edge of the pitch complaining to the 4th official.

Guest King Kolo

Shorpe 2-1 Swansea

swansea lost 2-1 in the league cup match against Shorpe. James Linington was the worst ref i've ever seen and sent of 3 swansea players wrongly aswell as giving a contreversiol penalty. He also failed to protect our players and Stephen Dobbie couldn't conitinue while the ref forced swansea to put Besian Idrijaz on the pitch so the game wouldn't be abondend. We dominated throughout the match even when we were in affect down to 6 men with Idrijaz right on the edge of the pitch complaining to the 4th official.

So Idrijaz is at you now? We had him on loan from Pool and he just turned out to be another waste of Peter Taylor's signings...

Anyway got Man City tomorrow and was going home from Hols tomorrow but my Sister was sick so we had to rebook our tickets to Thursday late night... :mad:

Hmm' date=' this didn't quite go to plan, did it? Did you still go, because apparently, we were awful? No thanks to Franny Jeffers. What a waste of space. :mad:

Congrats to Port Vale though; I hear they deserved to win and that they absolutely murdered us on occasions when we went down to 10-men.[/quote']

Francis Jeffers has been transfer listed now. :P Seems a bit harsh for a red card.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5514961,00.html

Date: 29/08/09 - Kick-off: 13:00

Venue: City Ground

A Brian Clough Trophy Match

The Preview

Nottingham Forest

vs

Derby County

55_1203646337.gif10_front_small.gif

Expected Starting XI:

Camp

Gunter - Morgan - Chambers - Cohen

Garner - McKenna - Majewsky - Tyson

Blackstock - McGoldrick

---------------------------------

Teale - Hulse - Commons

Livermore - Savage - Pearson

Moxey - Addison - Buxton - Connolly

Bywater

29_1199919859.gif103_front_small.gif

Nottingham Forest Team News

Nottingham Forest are still waiting to see if defender Joel Lynch will be fit following a back injury.

Lynch missed the midweek Carling Cup win over Middlesbrough after being hurt in last Saturday's draw at QPR.

Derby County Team News

Derby boss Nigel Clough will include Paul Dickov if he seals the striker's signing on loan from Leicester in time.

Paul Green (foot) is available but Steve Davies misses out with a dead leg, while Giles Barnes (Achilles) and Chris Porter (hip) remain sidelined.

Match Preview

As if matches between these east Midlands rivals are not always spicy enough, Billy Davies is another ex-Derby boss now in charge of Forest, where Rams boss Nigel Clough spent a decade as a player.

Forest keeper Lee Camp is also a former Rams player as is striker Rob Earnshaw, while Kris Commons caused some anger among Forest fans when he quit the club for Pride Park.

It all adds up to a very tasty lunchtime game - and one Forest need to win after failing to take a victory from any of their league matches so far despite some good performances.

Davies, who led Derby to promotion in 2007, is hoping his current club can turn the corner, while Clough returns to the ground where his legendary status is secure.

Match Facts

Head-to-head

• This is the 75th league meeting between these clubs. Nottingham Forest have won 30, Derby 25 and 19 have been drawn.

• Derby are unbeaten in eight in all competitions against their local rivals.

• Forest's only victory in 12 league meetings against them was 3-0 win at the City Ground in March 2003.

Nottingham Forest

• Forest are yet to win a league game this season.

• If they fail to win this game it would be their longest winless start to a league season since they took 10 games to register a victory in 2004/05.

• Wes Morgan is set to make his 250th career league appearance.

Derby County

• Derby won both their home league games this season but are yet to win away.

• The Rams have not managed back-to-back league wins since February.

• Rob Hulse is a hat-trick short of 100 career league goals.

• Paul Connolly could make his 200th career league start.

Players To Watch

Kris Commons - Derby County: This Lad could cause some real fireworks today, he could really cause an upset today in Nottingham. Forest fans see Commons as a real threat, and they know all about him and his time at Nottingham Forest, so the question is, can he break more hearts in the City of Nottingham and bring more Joy to the city of Derby?

Rob Hulse - Derby County: Without fail, Rob Hulse always scores against Nottingham Forest, and again, Forest fans hate the site of Rob Hulse. He will be a real key feature for Derby today, and will have to shine if Derby have any chance of getting anything from the City Ground today. He will have Commons and Teale to work with up top, so will he be able to help Derby to another 3 points against their arch rivals?

Robbie Savage - Derby County: Hated by pretty much everyone, Savage will be absolutely loving it out their today. he'll want to get right up into The Red Dogs faces, and would love to lead Derby to another win over Forest. He is another player who could really wind up the Fans, and create some real tension, so can he do it again today?

Lee Camp - Nottingham Forest: Camp is in the same position as Commons. He could really upset some Derby fans today if hes on song. Being a Derby fan himself, Camp has on several occasions saved Forest from losing against The Rams, and he would love to do it again today, and prove to Derby that they should never of sold him.

Rob Earnshaw - Nottingham Forest: Another Ex-Ram who is out their to prove some critics. Rob Earnshaw could cause an outrage if he comes off the bench and scores against his former team today. He didn't have the best of times on the otherside of the A52, but he'll want to put one over them, and do the same thing as what Lee Camp wants to do, and upset some Derby fans this afternoon.

Dexter Blackstock - Nottingham Forest: Yet another Ex Derby player, Blackstock will want to prove something, and will be well up for the game at 1 O'Clock this afternoon.

Quotes of the Week

"Focus on the Game, Not the Occasion" John Metgod - Derby County First Team Coach
"You've got to channel it in the right way. You can't just go flying into tackles willy-nilly and, especially in the first 10 minutes or so, we have got to play it safe in that respect." Miles Addison - Derby County
"It means an awful lot to supporters and it should mean that extra little bit to the players as well" Nigel Clough - Derby County Manager
"I won't put too much pressure on myself, because that's when you get too tense and make mistakes

" Lee Camp - Nottingham Forest

"Im Very Proud of What I have left Behind at Derby, but now im at Forest and I will work as Hard as i can to make sure we win on Saturday"

" Billy Davies - Nottingham Forest Manager

Date: 29/08/09 - Kick-off: 13:00

Venue: City Ground

A Brian Clough Trophy Match

The Preview

Great preview wozza! Just wondering, is there actually a trophey on offer?! Or does the winner take home the pride of having Brian think that they are the best?!

Also, couldn't help but notice that you've signed Dickov on loan from Leicester. Why exactly, when you have a much better striker in Varney on loan at Hillsborough? He was brilliant last saturday (apart from his finishing, which could be the problem), albeit against an awful Shorpe outfit. Surely he's better than Dickov?

Great preview wozza! Just wondering' date=' is there actually a trophey on offer?! Or does the winner take home the pride of having Brian think that they are the best?!

Also, couldn't help but notice that you've signed Dickov on loan from Leicester. Why exactly, when you have a much better striker in Varney on loan at Hillsborough? He was brilliant last saturday (apart from his finishing, which could be the problem), albeit against an awful Shorpe outfit. Surely he's better than Dickov?[/quote']

Yes there is a trophy on offer, its the only Derby in the world which actually has a trophy on offer, and Forest have never won the Brian Clough Trophy. Derby are 4 Times winners, and have regained it when there has been a draw. I was bought in in the 2007 season.

Im sorry, but Luke "Reg" Varney hasn't made one good appearance in a Derby County shirt. I don't know, he just doesn't do anything for us, hes given his chance, and he just doesn't impress! and he cost us 1.5m! Paul Dickov will bring us experience and hopefully will be the sort of Peschisolido type to grab a last minute goal, I hope its today :)

EDIT: And no Andy, its sold out :(

Yes there is a trophy on offer' date=' its the only Derby in the world which actually has a trophy on offer, and Forest have never won the Brian Clough Trophy. Derby are 4 Times winners, and have regained it when there has been a draw. I was bought in in the 2007 season.

Im sorry, but Luke "Reg" Varney hasn't made one good appearance in a Derby County shirt. I don't know, he just doesn't do anything for us, hes given his chance, and he just doesn't impress! and he cost us 1.5m! Paul Dickov will bring us experience and hopefully will be the sort of Peschisolido type to grab a last minute goal, I hope its today :)

EDIT: And no Andy, its sold out :([/quote']

To be fair, at Wednesday, he's only got Tudgay and a load of crocks to compete with, so he easily gets into the side and looks like a world beater!

Gutted mate! :o

Big Thread Update:

There's been little activity on here lately, at least for you lot anyway! I've been working fervishly to get myself caught up and I can now tell you that the season statistics are now 100% up to date for all sides - whoop! :P I have gone through all the teams on the first page and made everything look coherent, organised and consistent, while adding my pre-season predictions for all of those sides as well (bar Peterborough - got tired! :o). For those predictions, I have tried to put what I would have said when I first made the predictions and not to let any of what's happened thus far this season to dissuade my original view. So, a couple may look a bit funny in hindsight! When I have finished crossing the I's and dotting the T's for the clubs on the second page, I shall begin to finish off each club's evaluation (key players, hot prospects et cetera). Anyhow, I have got to a stage where I can manage the thread much more comforatably and I shall now be able to return to my regular mode of reviewing all the weekend's action, providing links for the goals and giving you detailed match reports of any matches that I have seen. Speaking of which, I shall be posting a match report of Peterborough v Crystal Palace tonight or tomorrow night.

Anyway, enough of me - let's hear from you! How did your side play at the weekend? Are you satisfied with your team's start to the season? Did your team make sufficient moves in the transfer market before deadline day ended? Get involved! :D

Regards,

Andy :)

Blades have made a few signings, James Harper seems like a great signing from what ive seen of him at Reading, not to sure about Jordan Stewart but we shall see.. Looking forward to Derby away a week on Saturday, got my tickets, getting the train tickets Saturday, think we can beat them.

UTB!

what a waste of space Franny "Glass Ankles" Jeffers is.

First the red card. Wich was mahem. Great view of it from were i was sat. and he had no other intention but to headbut him, Its not like he did it acidently.

Also, We Payed 700k for that Looser. When we could have bort some one like Aaron Maclean for 500k who will atually score.

I doubt we will get as little as 200k for him :D

Is Greening easy to replace then?

We've got nobody like him, but we've altered our style of play slightly and Johnno isn't as crucial to this system as he was under Mowbray. We still try to play football but it's a little quicker and there's less tippy tappy for the sake of doing so. We're not afraid to go into channels a few passes earlier, or utilise Bednar and Wood's height and strength with the odd long ball. Mulumbu's anchoring at the moment and the way he's playing makes him pretty much a guaranteed pick, had Greening played alongside him we'd have been using two players in the middle of the park who prefer operating in deeper positions. Now we can shift in either Dorrans or Koren who are a bit more dynamic and give us some energy and a bigger goal threat, neither of them are afraid to run in beyond the striker. Obviously we'll probably see a hit in our ball retention without him, but we should still be able to boss most midfield battles this season with any four from Brunt, Cech, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Koren, Morrison, Thomas or Teixeira even without a player who's sole purpose is to dictate the tempo.

Edit: Not to mention the money for someone the wrong side of 30 and only one year left on his contract was too good to turn down.

And it's about £4million for Jonno, about £1m for Robbo right?

From what I've heard (not off .com :D), Valero has been told he has no future at WBA just before he went on loan to Real Mallorca.

Gone for £2.5m at the end of the season.

As for Jara, he can play anywhere in the defence or defensive midfield. Looking forward to seeing him play, especially since I've got him on the back of my shirt now :o.

And it's about £4million for Jonno' date=' about £1m for Robbo right?

From what I've heard (not off .com :D), Valero has been told he has no future at WBA just before he went on loan to Real Mallorca.

Gone for £2.5m at the end of the season.

As for Jara, he can play anywhere in the defence or defensive midfield. Looking forward to seeing him play, especially since I've got him on the back of my shirt now :o.[/quote']

Think it might even be £4.5m and £1.5, not really sure though to be honest.

Shame that is, wouldn't surprise me if you're right though. RDM clearly doesn't fancy him, and he doesn't want to play in the Champ. Might as well get some money for him.

That's a brave decision. :D He might turn out the be a Chilean midget. I've got high hopes for him though, he can't look any more scared than Shelton does, bless him.

Think it might even be £4.5m and £1.5' date=' not really sure though to be honest.

Shame that is, wouldn't surprise me if you're right though. RDM clearly doesn't fancy him, and he doesn't want to play in the Champ. Might as well get some money for him.

[b']That's a brave decision. :D He might turn out the be a Chilean midget. I've got high hopes for him though, he can't look any more scared than Shelton does, bless him.[/b]

Same, who would you rather have though? :D

gonzalojara_205465.jpg

Occasional Chile captain?

or..

article-1186588-04F9B54C000005DC-732_235x393.jpg

or an Netherland Antilles international? :P

I think Jara could be tailor made though, he'll either be very good, or very bad, he seems rather aggressive, which I hope would display a no nonsense attitude, just better and different then the air fister.

article-0-02D2470C00000578-244_468x905.jpg