Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Boothroyd has said today that although there are other strikers that he is targeting' date=' he wouldn't rule out a move for Marlon King. :rolleyes:

In other news, we've agreed terms with some Irish left-back from Villa.[/quote']

Lowry maybe, although he switched his alleigance to Australia:eek:

Roy O'Donovan released by Sunderland' date=' could join a Champ team or go back to the Pools.

Casper Ankengren has said he would be interested in a move to a Championship team..[/quote']

Ankergren is a quality 'keeper, would easily be the best in League 1. Not sure if he could hold down a Championship spot consistently, but would be excellent second choice for any team. The only reason Leeds let him was because Grayson thought he deserved a shot at first-team football, and we had a much better Dane lined up. He could prove to be a wonder signing for any team, considering he's free.

O'Donovan joins Coventry, along with O'Halloran (the left-back Lee was talking about). O'Halloran joined Leeds on loan a season back (08/09) but as he was preparing for his debut against Swindon he tore his groin and got sent back. It was one of two Leeds games I was actually at that season, haha.

Meanwhile, Leeds' first two games (Derby and Nottingham Forest) are to be shown live.

Rumours floating round the club that we are in talks with Rafael Sobis, who is looking to buy out his contract at Al-Jazeera. Think it's bs myself, but a few people with "inside information" are claiming it to be true (talks that is, no more). Although they may just be taking the "inside information" from each other.

Apparently Boro have also pulled out of the race for Gary Hooper with Kris Boyd lined up instead. Bailey has already joined from Charlton. Imagine that - Boyd and McDonald up front! Rival strikers in the SPL, could be forming a partnership in the Championship.

Edit:

Predictions anyone? I know it's a bit early, but i'll be interesting. ;)

Mine:

1. Middlesbrough

2. Burnley

-----------------------------------

3. Reading

4. Cardiff

5. Leicester

6. QPR

7. Sheffield United

8. Norwich

9. Nottingham Forest

10 Derby

11 Leeds

12 Portsmouth

13 Ipswich

14 Swansea

15 Bristol City

16 Doncaster

17 Hull

18 Crystal Palace

19 Millwall

20 Preston

21 Coventry

22 Watford

23 Barnsley

24 Shorpe

In other news' date=' we've agreed terms with some Irish left-back from Villa.[/quote']

Sorry to tell you Lee, but O'Halloran is one of the worst players to have played for Swansea in a long-time.

He joined us last season on-loan from Villa, played a few games but didn't put one pass together, didn't get a tackle in and what seems consistant is that he got injured and he returned to Villa. He's so poor, you'd be better playing a 16 year old from the acadamy.

Sorry to tell you Lee' date=' but O'Halloran is one of the worst players to have played for Swansea in a long-time.

He joined us last season on-loan from Villa, played a few games but didn't put one pass together, didn't get a tackle in and what seems consistant is that he got injured and he returned to Villa.[b'] He's so poor, you'd be better playing a 16 year old from the acadamy.[/b]

What a stupid comment. Some players are poor for some clubs but revel at others. One main example could be Stephen Crainey - when he was at Leeds he was one of our worst players, even in our relegation season when everyone was poor, he was the worst of the lot. Yet now he's a regular for Blackpool and has just been promoted to the Prem.

Players suit different styles, different managers, different teams. In O'Halloran's case, he's had a lot of injury problems and was probably looking to only get some fitness. Added to that only being on-loan means he probably wasn't particularly motivated, much like McSheffery at Leeds this season (who was shocking). Paul Connolly is another example - one of Plymouth's better players when they got mid-table after promotion, went to Derby and was terrible. On-loan at Sheff Utd and did quite well there, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Leeds shirt.

I can understand he may have been very poor and looked out-of-depth, but he only played a handful of games and most likely lacks match fitness. He should at least be given a chance to prove himself at another club.

What a stupid comment. Some players are poor for some clubs but revel at others. One main example could be Stephen Crainey - when he was at Leeds he was one of our worst players' date=' even in our relegation season when everyone was poor, he was the worst of the lot. Yet now he's a regular for Blackpool and has just been promoted to the Prem.

Players suit different styles, different managers, different teams. In O'Halloran's case, he's had a lot of injury problems and was probably looking to only get some fitness. Added to that only being on-loan means he probably wasn't particularly motivated, much like McSheffery at Leeds this season (who was shocking). Paul Connolly is another example - one of Plymouth's better players when they got mid-table after promotion, went to Derby and was terrible. On-loan at Sheff Utd and did quite well there, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Leeds shirt.

I can understand he may have been very poor and looked out-of-depth, but he only played a handful of games and most likely lacks match fitness. He should at least be given a chance to prove himself at another club.[/quote']

I've never seen him make a good performance, i think he'll do very poor at Coventry and i don't think Boothroyd should have even though of signing him.

I've never seen him make a good performance' date=' i think he'll do very poor at Coventry and i don't think Boothroyd should have even though of signing him.[/quote']

Have you seen many of his games other than Swansea games then? During friendly's at Aston Villa he was quite frankly faultless. I was lucky enough to see a couple on various links. Yes it's a gamble for Coventry, but should it not work out he's only on a 1 year deal.

What's the harm with bringing in a 22 year old that's tipped to go on to big things? He's been hampered by injuries but according to his medical results and comments from him and our manager he is over them and raring to go.

Remember, he's playing for us on a 1 year deal, and if he does well, the club can extend it by a further year, so he'll be raring to go! His confidence should be pretty high from the start now too because we've given him a chance and put some faith in him.

I quite frankly am delighted to see our manager bringing in some guys from Premiership clubs, and i think that should they be deployed in the right set-up they should do very well.

Weather you agree or not is up to you, but i'm genuinly stunned at just how much you seem to dislike this guy purely on the fact that he didn't light up during a loan spell.

Weather you agree or not is up to you' date=' but i'm genuinly stunned at just how much you seem to dislike this guy purely on the fact that he didn't light up during a loan spell.[/quote']

But from what i've seen from him at Swansea, he didn't complete a pass. And make a good tackle. He literally had one good run up the left side of the pitch before loosing the ball, but that's all he did in about 4 games at Swansea. So from what i've seen of him, i don't know why i shouldn't rate him as a poor player.

I hope he proves me wrong, but i wouldn't be suprised to see him ruled out for the season before January.

My champ table:

1. Burnley

2. Forest

----------

3. Middlesbrough

4. Norwich City

5. Leicester City

6. Bristol City

-----------

7. Swansea

8. Leeds United

9. Cardiff

10. Doncaster Rovers

11. Sheffield United

12. Reading

13. Hull City

14. Coventry City

15. Portsmouth

16. Ipswich Town

17. QPR

18. Millwall

19. Preston north end

20. Derby County

21. Barnsley

------------

22. Shorpe United

23. Crystal palace

24. Watford

Really hope we finish there But may take Coppell a season to assemble his squad,If we dont then i feel one of the other teams around us will take our position, Top 10 for us defo IMO.Which il be happy with:o

1 forest

2 burnley

-------------------------------

3 m'boro

4 bristol city (p)

5 norwich

6 leicester

7 leeds

8 reading

9 hull

10 qpr

11 coventry

12 doncaster

13 ipswich

14 sheffield utd

15 preston

16 cardiff

17 swansea

18 millwall

19 derby

20 shorpe

21 barnsley

22 watford

23 palace

24 portsmouth

My champ table:

Really hope we finish there But may take Coppell a season to assemble his squad' date='If we dont then i feel one of the other teams around us will take our position, Top 10 for us defo IMO.Which il be happy with:o[/quote']

yep defo top ten i reckon we are in with a good shout on the play-offs but so are near enough any other team in the league, its going to be a tight one, but surely under coppells guidence and the millions from our chairman (sugar daddy) and with our new stadium on the way we will make in the end one day

1 forest

2 burnley

3 m'boro

4 bristol city (p)

5 norwich

6 leicester

7 leeds

8 reading

9 hull

10 qpr

11 coventry

12 doncaster

13 ipswich

14 sheffield utd

15 preston

16 cardiff

17 swansea

18 millwall

19 derby

20 shorpe

21 barnsley

22 watford

23 palace

24 portsmouth

Every year, everyone over-rules the Welsh teams and every year there wrong.

We've both finished in the top 10 in the last two seasons, and pre-season predicitons wouldn't have seen that, yet we (especially Swansea, down to financial state) have got to be favoured this year for a top 10 finish.

As for Swansea, after Donnely joined from Aldershot, Neil Taylor is on the brink of joining from Wrexham as cover in defence.

Also, Swansea have had a 600k offer for Danny Graham rejected by Watford, Graham's the sort of striker we should be after though and most importantly it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker :D

Every year' date=' everyone over-rules the Welsh teams and every year there wrong.

We've both finished in the top 10 in the last two seasons, and pre-season predicitons wouldn't have seen that, yet we (especially Swansea, down to financial state) have got to be favoured this year for a top 10 finish.

As for Swansea, after Donnely joined from Aldershot, Neil Taylor is on the brink of joining from Wrexham as cover in defence.

Also, Swansea have had a 600k offer for Danny Graham rejected by Watford, Graham's the sort of striker we should be after though and most importantly it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker :D[/quote']

I've actually predicted Cardiff to do quite well. Personally I think Swansea will struggle compared to last year, you've lost Britton and Bessone already, and replacing them with League 2 / Blue Square Premier players, which doesn't bode well. But the league is very, very open this year and in all honesty, you could mix up any of the top 15 in my prediction and it'll still look like a decent prediction. But it's so hard to tell, and at this stage in the season, Swansea's squad is looking a little weaker, so people are bound to predict them to come a little lower.

I've actually predicted Cardiff to do quite well. Personally I think Swansea will struggle compared to last year' date=' you've lost Britton and Bessone already, and replacing them with League 2 / Blue Square Premier players, which doesn't bode well. But the league is very, very open this year and in all honesty, you could mix up any of the top 15 in my prediction and it'll still look like a decent prediction. But it's so hard to tell, and at this stage in the season, Swansea's squad is looking a little weaker, so people are bound to predict them to come a little lower.[/quote']

But you need to understand that Britton wont be missed. We still have Bodde, Allen, Pratley, Gower & Orlandi in midfield, in what will be a midfield three with Cotterill & Dyer on the wings. All of those centre-midfielders, especially Orlandi, Bodde, Allen & Pratley are as good as it gets in the Championship and are the best CM's in the Championship so he wont be missed.

Bessone played well last season but he's not a first teamer, Tate will play at left-back next season which is fine as far as i'm concerned as one of our key players. Taylor will be back up, but he's a Welsh International and Jazz Richards will help out and he's certainly capable and Serran can always play at left-back.

They aren't key losses, as they've been losses in the right positions. We just need a key forward, and to keep onto Pratley & Ashley Williams and we'll be fine next season. Infact we'll be better if we can get a forward who can get a lot of goals, as goals was the only problem last season as if we had a 20 goals a season striker we'd off been in the top 4 quiet easily.

Guest Scout Maker

1. Burnley

2. Middlesbrough

----------

3. Leeds

4. Notts Forest

5. QPR

6. Cardiff

-----------

7. Reading

8. Crystal Palace

9. Sheffield United

10. Bristol City

11. Leicester

12. Swansea

13. Ipswich

14. Coventry

15. Derby

16. Portsmouth

17. Doncaster

18. Millwall

19. Norwich

20. Preston

21. Hull

------------

22. Watford

23. Sphorpe

24. Barnsley

Can see us doing quite well this season, probably not the Play-Offs, but we are out of money trouble, Ambrose is staying and the only way is up.

Every year' date=' everyone over-rules the Welsh teams and every year there wrong.

Also, Swansea have had a 600k offer for Danny Graham rejected by Watford, Graham's the sort of striker we should be after though and most importantly it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker :D[/quote']

I know people might underestimate Welsh sides but your point about the finances is meaningless. It will not affect anything on the pitch unless Sousa gets money to spend on strikers. From what you said about Graham it appears there is money available but he is not the kind of player Swansea need. Too similar to Kuqi. For me, Swansea need a pacy goalscorer like Robbie Earnshaw or Michael Chopra to complement Kuqi.

Cardiff just need to keep the team together and I'm sure Dave Jones will guide them to a higher placed finish this year. There are not as many good teams in the Championship this year. Portsmouth and Hull will lose any good players they have unlike Newcastle and West Brom last season.

1. Cardiff

2. Nottingham Forest

3. Reading

4. Swansea

5. Bristol City

6. Sheffield United

7. Hull City

8. Leicester

That would the sides I think will challenge around the top of the table.

1. QPR

2. Middlesbrough

----------

3. Burnley

4. Notts Forest

5. Reading

6. Cardiff

-----------

7. Leicester

8. Swansea

9. Brsitol City