Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

I know people might underestimate Welsh sides but your point about the finances is meaningless. It will not affect anything on the pitch unless Sousa gets money to spend on strikers. From what you said about Graham it appears there is money available but he is not the kind of player Swansea need. Too similar to Kuqi. For me' date=' Swansea need a pacy goalscorer like Robbie Earnshaw or Michael Chopra to complement Kuqi.

Cardiff just need to keep the team together and I'm sure Dave Jones will guide them to a higher placed finish this year. There are not as many good teams in the Championship this year. Portsmouth and Hull will lose any good players they have unlike Newcastle and West Brom last season.

1. Cardiff

2. Nottingham Forest

3. Reading

4. Swansea

5. Bristol City

6. Sheffield United

7. Hull City

8. Leicester

That would the sides I think will challenge around the top of the table.[/quote']

As in fincances i mean the ability to bring in players in the summer & January to strengthen the squad. I can't see Cardiff building on there squad, whilst Swansea should.

Yes, all the Swansea strikers are the same, Pintado, Kuqi, Trundle - none of them have pace and everyone feels that a pacy striker is needed. Someone like Chopra is needed, as you say and they obviously need the ability to put the ball in the back of the net. But Graham is better than our current strikers, he's more likely to find the back of the net and is faster then our current strikers although not loaded with pace.

The only player Cardiff don't have a choice in keeping, is Joe Ledley who's out of contract. Leaving Gavin Rae a first teamer next season, there's not much depth at Cardiff, and Aaron Wildig may be relied on a lot.

7. Crystal Palace

Don't want to be critical off your prediciton, but there likely to start next season on -19 points.

They've lost there key centre-back to QPR (cant think of the name), and they could be forced to sell all of there players. And with Moses sold last season, they don't have much fire power and should be battling down the other end of the table.

Don't want to be critical off your prediciton' date=' but there likely to start next season on -19 points.

They've lost there key centre-back to QPR (cant think of the name), and they could be forced to sell all of there players. And with Moses sold last season, they don't have much fire power and should be battling down the other end of the table.[/quote']

Woah, Palace are meant to be where Leicester are, sorry let me change it, my apologies. I also said QPR for champions based on if they get Ambrose. I ain't got a clue for Play off victory though.

Woah' date=' Palace are meant to be where Leicester are, sorry let me change it, my apologies. I also said QPR for champions based on if they get Ambrose. I ain't got a clue for Play off victory though.[/quote']

Well Ambrose or no Ambrose there buys have been dissapointing, and i dont think they'll have the players that Boro or Forest do next season.

Guest Scout Maker

Don't want to be critical off your prediciton' date=' but there likely to start next season on -19 points.

They've lost there key centre-back to QPR (cant think of the name), and they could be forced to sell all of there players. And with Moses sold last season, they don't have much fire power and should be battling down the other end of the table.[/quote']

Actually, we have no money troubles now and from the looks of things we are actually being linked with players now.

We didn't lose any CB, we lost Shaun Derry who's a CM but he can be replaced, he is a good leader but if I was a QPR fan I would be annoyed that they are getting him, seeing as he is 32 years old, on pretty high wages and they are being linked with much better players. Ambrose and Danns are probably worth at least 10 goals each and if you put a decent striker alongside Alan Lee then they would really cause teams some trouble.

EDIT: Warnock has said he has given up on Ambrose now that we can afford to keep him.

Well Ambrose or no Ambrose there buys have been dissapointing' date=' and i dont think they'll have the players that B0ro or Forest do next season.[/quote']

I reckon they'll be dangerous, but eh, my prediction and I rarely get it right, just like Pele:D

I reckon they'll be dangerous' date=' but eh, my prediction and I rarely get it right, just like Pele:D[/quote']

Watch much Championship football

:P

Anyways, for all Championship fans what away games will everybody be going to after the fixtures were announced?

I'm going to Hull (KC Stadium) for the first game of the season,

Might go to: Forest away, QPR away, Derby away, Burnley away, Millwall away

Anyways' date=' for all Championship fans what away games will everybody be going to after the fixtures were announced?

Might go to: Forest away, QPR away, Derby away, Burnley away, Millwall away[/center']

I watch it every week on the FL Show on BBC. I do live in Ireland like:p

Guest Scout Maker

Anyways' date=' for all Championship fans what away games will everybody be going to after the fixtures were announced?

Might go to: Forest away, QPR away, Derby away, Burnley away, Millwall away[/center']

Definitely: Millwall, Hull, Portsmouth, Burnley, Norwich, QPR, Watford, Leeds.

Maybe: All the rest.

Also, think you missed this from below Rob's post.

Actually, we have no money troubles now and from the looks of things we are actually being linked with players now.

We didn't lose any CB, we lost Shaun Derry who's a CM but he can be replaced, he is a good leader but if I was a QPR fan I would be annoyed that they are getting him, seeing as he is 32 years old, on pretty high wages and they are being linked with much better players. Ambrose and Danns are probably worth at least 10 goals each and if you put a decent striker alongside Alan Lee then they would really cause teams some trouble.

EDIT: Warnock has said he has given up on Ambrose now that we can afford to keep him.

I watch it every week on the FL Show on BBC. I do live in Ireland like:p

Well fair enough' date=' but Claridge & Savage don't know what there talking about, and although better than nothing it's a poorly commentated show and very little highlights. Well i don't like the FL show, i was hoping for a CCC MOTD when it came out but it's just like "The Championship" just on the BBC.

Definitely: Millwall, Hull, Portsmouth, Burnley, Norwich, QPR, Watford, Leeds.

Maybe: All the rest.

Also, think you missed this from below Rob's post.

I've already been to Pompy, Watford and Leeds, so no point in going there again rather then experiencing something new.

Lee is far from dangerous really, he's a bit of laughing stock really in terms of Championship strikers (Rather like the Swansea strikers) Ambrose & Danns are superb on there day, but what if one gets injured then your team is all over the place. And there's plenty of interest in either of them, so one could leave.

Guest Scout Maker

I've already been to Pompy' date=' Watford and Leeds, so no point in going there again rather then experiencing something new.

Lee is far from dangerous really, he's a bit of laughing stock really in terms of Championship strikers (Rather like the Swansea strikers) Ambrose & Danns are superb on there day, but what if one gets injured then your team is all over the place. And there's plenty of interest in either of them, so one could leave.[/quote']

The teams I haven't been to yet in the Championship are all 6 teams that went up or down apart from Millwall and Barnsley and Doncaster.

No, Lee isn't dangerous but he's pesky, Richard Dunne got asked who the most annoying striker he ever played against was and he said Alan Lee due to the fact he wins every ball in the air and can score a few aswell. Not sure precisely how many he got last season but it was something around 8/9. He just needs someone to partner him. Warnock tried the 4-3-3 with Scannel and Andrew but it didn't work, Hart tried the 4-4-2 with Andrew and Lee and it didn't work, he just needs a striker who can score 10+ goals a season next to him. Also, QPR haven't been able to sign Ambrose and they are the richest team in the league I believe and I doubt that any Premier League teams are interested.

i will be going to the following

leeds

forest

hull

reading

watford

coventry

norwich

millwall

and maybe a few others

cant make cardiff sadly which i am gutted about :( especially after the bubble restrictions could be lifted

also will be going to the play-off away game followed by another trip to wembley in the play-offs (to watch us win of course) ALWAYS BELIEVE :P

The teams I haven't been to yet in the Championship are all 6 teams that went up or down apart from Millwall and Barnsley and Doncaster.

No' date=' Lee isn't dangerous but he's pesky, Richard Dunne got asked who the most annoying striker he ever played against was and he said Alan Lee due to the fact he wins every ball in the air and can score a few aswell. Not sure precisely how many he got last season but it was something around 8/9. He just needs someone to partner him. Warnock tried the 4-3-3 with Scannel and Andrew but it didn't work, Hart tried the 4-4-2 with Andrew and Lee and it didn't work, he just needs a striker who can score 10+ goals a season next to him. Also, QPR haven't been able to sign Ambrose and they are the richest team in the league I believe and I doubt that any Premier League teams are interested.[/quote']

But Dunne hasn't played against Lee for years, Lee's passed it.

But Dunne hasn't played against Lee for years' date=' Lee's passed it.[/quote']

Manchester City played Palace this year in one of the cups. Palace won 3-0.

I still think some of your opinions of your own club are incredibly narrow-minded, Aidan. Your proclamation that Pratley, Allen and co. are the best midfielders in the Championship is WAY off the mark.

Can't wait till the new season starts. Will be looking to build on 5th place last season, although automatic promotion is a very, very long shot. If Matty Fryatt stays fit then I can see him bagging 20 this season, and as per usual Pearson will use his brilliant knowledge of the loan market to make some shrewd signings (fingers crossed.)

Will be trying to get to as many away games as possible, Fratton Park, Elland Road are musts, however will be avoiding the trips to teams which have no (or very little) fans. Trip to Doncaster was dismal last season because they had roughly 20-40 people singing! Of course the Take That tribute act at half-time didn't help the atmosphere...

Can't wait till the new season starts. Will be looking to build on 5th place last season' date=' although automatic promotion is a very, very long shot. If Matty Fryatt stays fit then I can see him bagging 20 this season, and as per usual Pearson will use his brilliant knowledge of the loan market to make some shrewd signings (fingers crossed.)

Will be trying to get to as many away games as possible, Fratton Park, Elland Road are musts, however will be avoiding the trips to teams which have no (or very little) fans. Trip to Doncaster was dismal last season because they had roughly 20-40 people singing! Of course the Take That tribute act at half-time didn't help the atmosphere...[/quote']

I don't know if you had heard this but apparently Hull have approached Pearson and his assistant/backroom staff? I'm struggling to think why he would leave for Hull but my dad told me about it earlier.

I don't know if you had heard this but apparently Hull have approached Pearson and his assistant/backroom staff? I'm struggling to think why he would leave for Hull but my dad told me about it earlier.

Like you say, why would he leave for Hull? We have a great set-up here, though not entirely sure if Mandaric can provide necessary funds.

I still think some of your opinions of your own club are incredibly narrow-minded' date=' Aidan. Your proclamation that Pratley, Allen and co. are the best midfielders in the Championship is WAY off the mark.[/quote']

Pratley can run just about anygame, and is a match winner and a player who has the ability to play a lot bigger than CCC level. Take when Swansea beat you at Hillsborough, we didn't neccesarily deserve the win, but Pratley got a couple of goals and won us the game.

There all very, very gifted players and can really make a difference. But with my point, Britton wont be missed at Swansea with our midfield as there's four better CM's then him at the club.

Guest Scout Maker

But Dunne hasn't played against Lee for years' date=' Lee's passed it.[/quote']
Manchester City played Palace this year in one of the cups. Palace won 3-0.

I still think some of your opinions of your own club are incredibly narrow-minded' date=' Aidan. Your proclamation that Pratley, Allen and co. are the best midfielders in the Championship is WAY off the mark.[/quote']

Actually he has played against Lee three times last season. Once in the Carling Cup when Palace played Manchester City and lost 2-0. And twice when Palace played Aston Villa in the FA Cup, in the first leg we drew 2-2 so it went to a replay which we lost 3-1.

Even though it's wishful thinking for me Andy, we didn't beat City :P

33 teams in the league next year apparently. ;)

Untitled-5.png

Cardiff just need to keep the team together and I'm sure Dave Jones will guide them to a higher placed finish this year. There are not as many good teams in the Championship this year. Portsmouth and Hull will lose any good players they have unlike Newcastle and West Brom last season.

1. Cardiff

2. Nottingham Forest

3. Reading

4. Swansea

5. Bristol City

6. Sheffield United

7. Hull City

8. Leicester

That would the sides I think will challenge around the top of the table.

You're either forgetting or largely under-estimating Boro. With Kris Boyd expected to sign' date=' they will have a strike force of McDonald and Boyd, with the likes of Wheater, O'Neil, Robson, etc also in their team, they will (or should be) a force to be reckoned with.

But you need to understand that Britton wont be missed. We still have Bodde, Allen, Pratley, Gower & Orlandi in midfield, in what will be a midfield three with Cotterill & Dyer on the wings. All of those centre-midfielders, especially Orlandi, Bodde, Allen & Pratley are as good as it gets in the Championship and are the best CM's in the Championship so he wont be missed.

Wow. Biased much?

Quite happy with the Bailey deal, £1.4m for a goalscoring midfielder is well worth it and we now have options in center midfield, which we haven't had for a couple of years now. Kris Boyd is set to sign after B'ham pull out as he doesn't want to uproot to Turkey, apparently. McDonald and Boyd up front is definately a force to be reckoned with :). We've given Scunny a £2m offer for Hooper and told them to take it or leave it and from the looks of things McManus will be rejoining us over the summer, as he wants to stay here. Our offer for Rochdale's Dawson is still on the table and seen as how he's handed in a transfer request that seems quite likely to.

So, other than our GK and LB I'm pretty sure we're up there for the best players in each posistion.

---------------------------Jones-----------------------

Hoyte---------Wheater----------McManus-----Taylor

O'Neil-------Bailey (Williams)----Robson------Flood

--------------McDonald-----------Boyd---------------

Well, hopefully Boyd anyway.

Quite happy with the Bailey deal' date=' £1.4m for a goalscoring midfielder is well worth it and we now have options in center midfield, which we haven't had for a couple of years now. Kris Boyd is set to sign after B'ham pull out as he doesn't want to uproot to Turkey, apparently. McDonald and Boyd up front is definately a force to be reckoned with :). We've given Scunny a £2m offer for Hooper and told them to take it or leave it and from the looks of things McManus will be rejoining us over the summer, as he wants to stay here. Our offer for Rochdale's Dawson is still on the table and seen as how he's handed in a transfer request that seems quite likely to.

So, other than our GK and LB I'm pretty sure we're up there for the best players in each posistion.

---------------------------Jones-----------------------

Hoyte---------Wheater----------McManus-----Taylor

O'Neil-------Bailey (Williams)----R0bson------Flood

--------------McDonald-----------Boyd---------------

Well, hopefully Boyd anyway.[/quote']

If they work out - B0ro will be a forced to be reckoned with. Just a keeper - Westwood, and they would be good.

You're either forgetting or largely under-estimating Boro. With Kris Boyd expected to sign' date=' they will have a strike force of McDonald and Boyd, with the likes of Wheater, O'Neil, Robson, etc also in their team, they will (or should be) a force to be reckoned with.[/quote']

This is just based on what I see in each squad right now. Bailey is a good addition for Middlesbrough but Brad Jones is rubbish and they haven't got players like McManus or Naughton back who they had on loan last season. At the moment I think those sides I listed are better and have better managers so they will be ahead of Middlesbrough. A lot can change between now and the start of the season and my predictions will probably be completely different then. :P

BBC reporting Pearson could be on his way to Hull.

Relegated Hull City could be set to name Nigel Pearson as their new manager, reports BBC Radio Humberside.

Talks are understood to have taken place with the Leicester City manager and a deal agreed in principle.

The much respected 46-year-old former Middlesbrough centre-half has a year left to run on his current deal.

But talks with Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric about a new contract have not come to fruition - and the deal could now rest on agreeing compensation.