Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Not knocking Boro's signings as such, but how boring must it be if you're one of their scouts? Get yourself up to Glasgow again this week lads. Never really fancied Boyd myself but I've seen players like Scott Dobie and Danny Dichio reach double figures in this division for the Albion, so I wouldn't bet against him being a success.

You have to wonder how many goals Larsson in his pomp would score in the SPL now, frightening.

Gary Speed now the favourite after Tisdale supposedly turns them down again. :)

Speed hopefully wont get the job' date=' touch wood. Toshack is just a (not very nice person) he does nothing and then just p0ps up on the odd occasion saying "Swansea aren't good enough for the Championship" and "Speed should get the job". Why should Speed ge the job? No, he doesn't extend he just tries to shake things up. And thank god Tisdale turned us down, he's done a great job at Exeter but we need experience, we need contacts and we need a proven manager. Tisdale wouldn't do anything at Swansea and it's the best thing for both clubs.

[b']Here's the current betting odds (Sky Bet)[/b]

Gianfranco Zola - 11/10

Gary Speed - 6/4

Chris Coleman - 12/1

Jean Guy Wallame - 12/1

Nigel Adkins - 12/1

Paul Tisdale - 14/1

Graeme Jones - 20/1

Gareth Southgate - 25/1

Paul Hart - 25/1

Phil Parkinson - 25/1

Iain Dowie - 25/1

John Hartson - 33/1

Gus Poyet - 33/1

Dean Saunders - 33/1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Robbie Savage - 66/1

Ryan Giggs - 100/1

Lee Trundle - 100/1

And thank god Tisdale turned us down' date=' he's done a great job at Exeter but we need experience, we need contacts and we need a proven manager. Tisdale wouldn't do anything at Swansea and it's the best thing for both clubs.[/quote']

The exact same thing was said of him before he came to Exeter..

Experience.. fair enough at manager level he doesn't but you can't argue against his record, both for us and Team Bath, 6 promotions aged 37.. you'd be lucky to find that elsewhere. And whilst it's obviously not what your looking for, he's got the tick for surviving a relegation battle as well now.

Contacts.. it's something that he supposedly has a lack of. Well for a start he has good connections with Spurs..

Proven.. well no. But until he moves to a bigger side or we get promoted then nobody will know.

I've seen a few Swansea sites, and tbh I'm glad that it looks like he doesn't want to join them. I don't mean you (:P), but the majority seem like complete morons and think that your some huge club. :)

Whether it's the best thing for both clubs.. who knows? For us, yes. The longer we keep one of the most talented young managers in this country, the better. For Swansea, maybe it is, but we won't find out. ;)

Jean Guy Wallame as in the ex-Coventry player? :confused:

If so' date=' then i feel truly sorry for you.[/quote']

He wont join. He's just in the bookies favourites as we can afford his wages, an he plays european football, not that we want him or fits in with what we want in a new manager.

The exact same thing was said of him before he came to Exeter..

Experience.. fair enough at manager level he doesn't but you can't argue against his record' date=' both for us and Team Bath, 6 promotions aged 37.. you'd be lucky to find that elsewhere. And whilst it's obviously not what your looking for, he's got the tick for surviving a relegation battle as well now.

Contacts.. it's something that he supposedly has a lack of. Well for a start he has good connections with Spurs..

Proven.. well no. But until he moves to a bigger side or we get promoted then nobody will know.

I've seen a few Swansea sites, and tbh I'm glad that it looks like he doesn't want to join them. I don't mean you (:P), but the majority seem like complete morons and think that your some huge club. :)

Whether it's the best thing for both clubs.. who knows? For us, yes. The longer we keep one of the most talented young managers in this country, the better. For Swansea, maybe it is, but we won't find out. ;)[/quote']

As for the sites thing, as in some of these forums, the fans on the forum are not the fans who matter. It's the fans in the stadium who get behind the team, rather then the glory hunters who have only supported us since we've got into the CCC, but don't even support the team.

A succesfull lower league manager is exactly what we don't want. He's a good manager, but we've got strong players and some bid ego's which he's never worked with before - like internationals. Not contacts, a little at Spurs is more or less nothing, if anything the wrong contacts - lower league (look at Cloughy and Moxey ...) whilst the others in contention:

Speed: Bolton, Newcastle, Everton, Sheff. Utd, Leeds

Zola: Chelsea, West Ham, across Italy

Puyot: Chelsea, Spurs, South America

B.Rodgers: Chelsea, Watford, Reading

Southgate: Middlesbrough, Aston Villa

He's a great manager at Exeter, but a nobody compared to huge names like Speed, Zola & Southgate. More so Southgate & Zola, both internationals at big countries - reputation. Both managing in the Premiership with West Ham & Boro, better then Bath you say, everything points to a big name and not a small name. Throughout Swansea, with all the candiates for the job the general consenance is "As long as it's not Tisdale i'm happy" or "As long as it's not Tisdale or Puyot i'm happy". Mainly so as we don't someone from league one, we want someone who knows the Championship and has done bigger things.

You'll get Coleman. He's always been a Swansea lad and now is a good time for him to take his dream job.

If this is the case' date=' expect a few good defenders to join, and not much else. :o[/quote']

Because Coleman wants the job doesn't mean we want Coleman. I wouldn't want him if we can get Southgate or indeed Gianfranco Zola or even about half of the names on the list.

I had side i'd of liked him, but that was when there was three names on the list.

He wont take over, why exactly do we want him. If his main ability is at the back, then it's a pointless appointment, we have the best defending record in the league from last year with a goalkeeper on some real form with so many clean sheets last year - most in the CCC by a long way.

It's not as if he's the only local lad (Hartson), and the only person who feels taking over Swansea would be his dream job (Hartson, Speed)

I would like to issue Sky Bet a warm congratulations for their true & correct odds for the nPower Championship for the day anyway!

http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/npower-championship/t10005380.html

I think Nottingham Forest should be the favourites and 2nd would be between you and Burnley (my opinions are based on additions so far and form last season). :P

I think Nottingham Forest should be the favourites and 2nd would be between you and Burnley (my opinions are based on additions so far and form last season). :P

I would put us above Forest.

I am going to be brave and say they'll actually do well to get into the playoffs this season. Everyone thinks theyre favirotes - but what have they done between now and the end of the season to suggest that?

I cant see them beating Burnley at the end of the season. Hull may be dangerous too. Decent manager.

If Mcdonald, Boyd, Robson, and Mcmanus all show up next season for Middlesbrough in top form - how ever much you wont want to admit it being a newcastle fan liam - I think we should have no reason as to why we dont go up!

1 thing im unsure about is 8/1 - Boyd top goalscorer. Not for me - I think he'll score goals, but not the most!!!

Guest Scout Maker

George Burley is set to add a goalkeeper and Premiership striker to his squad by the weekend.

The Crystal Palace manager confirmed today he was close to agreeing a deal to bring in a back up keeper to first choice Julian Speroni and also a striker on loan after missing out on Clinton Morrison.

The former Palace favourite was tipped for a return to Selhurst Park for a third spell but has joined League One Sheffield Wednesday instead.

"We have one or two strikers in mind who we are speaking to clubs about," confirmed Burley.

"We have a Premiership striker we would like to get in on loan and we are speaking to the club and are hopeful that can be sorted out this week."

Last season's reserve keeper Darryl Flahavan has been training with the club despite being out of contract but is not expected to be offered a new deal, with a new number two set to join.

"Darryl has been training with us," said Burley.

"We are looking to do something about the number two position in the next couple of days and we are very hopeful of getting stuff sorted."

One player who will not be returning to Selhurst Park is out-of-contract forward Stern John, who did not return for pre-season training and Burley has been unable to reach.

The Eagles' pre-season schedule get underway tonight with a trip to Crawley Town before facing Sutton United tomorrow and then Premiership champions Chelsea at Selhurst Park on Saturday.

"It will be good to be back in action," said the Palace boss.

"We will play a few trialists and it is an opportunity to make sure people are match fit and getting up to normal fitness.

"Pre-seasion is about getting players together for the start of the season and we are still a number short.

"We are speaking to clubs as we need four or five players to make a good squad but the season is three weeks away so there is no panic."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder who this striker is? Owain Fon Williams is probably the Goalkeeper but I'm not sure about the striker. Jay Simpson and Jonathan Obika's names have been thrown around but I'm not sure. Time will tell if this loan signing will be a Sears or a Forssell. Burley's also said he's got two Full Backs from France and Portugal on trial.

Anyway, we have Crawley tonight away which I'm going to and then Sutton tomorrow which I might go to. But the game I'm definitely going to is Saturday against Chelsea.

I would put us above Forest.

I am going to be brave and say they'll actually do well to get into the playoffs this season. Everyone thinks theyre favirotes - but what have they done between now and the end of the season to suggest that?

I cant see them beating Burnley at the end of the season. Hull may be dangerous too. Decent manager.

If Mcdonald' date=' Boyd, Robson, and Mcmanus all show up next season for Middlesbrough in top form - how ever much you wont want to admit it being a newcastle fan liam - I think we should have no reason as to why we dont go up!

1 thing im unsure about is 8/1 - Boyd top goalscorer. Not for me - I think he'll score goals, but not the most!!![/quote']

I don't have any problem with Middlesbrough. I hate Sunderland but Middlesbrough are like a fly buzzing around. It gets on your nerves but never causes you any trouble. :P I think Forest are favourites because of how they played last season. If they don't play well fair enough but at the moment they are the front runners. McManus, Boyd, Bailey and maybe Thomson to come are good additions but I think Brad Jones is one of the worst goalkeepers in the Championship and I'm not convinced by Justin Hoyte or Andrew Taylor. If you get those three positions covered then I think you will be right up there for promotion. ;)

I reckon 'Boro are going to be the ones to beat this season. They've got two quality, goalscorers upfront in McDonald and Boyd, with more than adequete back up with players like Miller, Killen and Mido, so they are very strong up top. They've got McManus and Wheater in defence, two players who would do a decent job in the Premier League, and a midfield with Digard, who would do an excellent job supporting the back four, Robson, who could provide a very good goal threat from the left, and, O'Neil, another one who's done well in the Premier League. Add to all that, a very, very good and clever manager in Strachan, who is gradually, with time, building this Boro team to play in the way he wants to, and success isn't too far away, Strachan is an excellent manager and Boro will get better and better with him.

I can also see Burnley being up there, Laws has done very well at Champ level in the past on a limited budget and I can see him repeating that, as long Burnley don't let too many players go, but they've made some good signings already, with Iwelumo and Marney, and also Wallace.

I also think Reading could be up there, after how they did when McDermott took over last season.

I don't reckon Forest will go up, like Bristol City a couple of years ago, they had their chance to go up last season, and missed it, I reckon they'll be in the top half but not threatening for the title.

I'm just glad there is no Newcastle in the Champ this season.

Leeds are another side who could be dangerous.

I don't reckon Forest will go up' date=' like Bristol City a couple of years ago, they had their chance to go up last season, and missed it, I reckon they'll be in the top half but not threatening for the title.[/quote']

How to they compare to Bristol City? City got some lucky results and things just went well for them. Forest were close to automatic promotion, possibly deserved it, play great stuff and there's no doubt they'll battle it out amongst the top at the division.

Brendan Rodgers is apparantly talking with Swansea, and is now clear favourite to take the job, my ideal appointment from those considered. If we wanted Speed we'd have had to get rid of Alan Tate, not a chance dumb Blades.

Guest Scout Maker

CRYSTAL Palace boss George Burley has revealed he is set to have a trialist who played in this summer’s World Cup finals in his side for Saturday's visit of Chelsea.

The Eagles chief wants to keep the identity of the player secret until kick-off.

“I’ve got at least one international player who will play 45 minutes so we can have a look,” said Burley. “He did play in the World Cup so he is at a good standard.

"I’ll hopefully have another one on trial for Chelsea too - it is ideal to see these people in match action

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder who it is. Robert Koren has been mentioned but considering Leeds and even some PL teams are after him, I doubt it's him. Other names mentioned were USA CB Jay Demerit, USA Winger Demarcus Beasly, Tony Lockhead the New Zealand Left Back, Simon Elliot a New Zealand Centre Midfielder and Australian Centre Back Craig Moore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PADDY McCarthy will celebrate being named new Palace captain by signing a fresh three year deal with the club.

The 27-year-old Irish defender has been chosen by manager George Burley to succeed Sean Derry as the Eagles on-field leader.

Burley believes the powerful centre half has all the attributes of an excellent captain.

"We're looking to make Paddy captain," confirmed the Eagles boss. "He's a real leader, and has a great presence on the pitch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delighted with this, he's a real leader, I thought he should have been Captain instead of Derry.

Anyway, I'm feeling optimistic about next season. I doubt Ambrose is leaving now that Warnock's given up on him and Burley is being busy in the Transfer Market with the signings of Adam Barrett, David Wright and Andy Dorman. Plus we have Dean Morgan, Remi Mareval, Bruno Simao and Liam Bridcutt on trial, not to mention we have that World Cup player on trial aswell. I'd like us to line up a little something like this next season considering we don't buy anyone else.

------------------------------Speroni------------------------------------------------

--------Clyne-----McCarthy ©--------Barrett/Davis-----D.Wright/Remi/Bruno/Hills-----

--------Ambrose---------Bridcutt-------Danns----------Dorman------------------------

-----------------Lee/Andrew-----------Scannel---------------------------------------

I wonder who this striker is? Owain Fon Williams is probably the Goalkeeper but I'm not sure about the striker. Jay Simpson and Jonathan Obika's names have been thrown around but I'm not sure. Time will tell if this loan signing will be a Sears or a Forssell. Burley's also said he's got two Full Backs from France and Portugal on trial.

Anyway' date=' we have Crawley tonight away which I'm going to and then Sutton tomorrow which I might go to. But the game I'm definitely going to is Saturday against Chelsea.[/quote']

Right, Fon-Williams, definitely not Lewis Price then.

Guest Scout Maker

Right' date=' Fon-Williams, definitely not Lewis Price then.[/quote']

God, it was just a rumour, I'm sure half the players who you have posted on the forums that Leeds are after won't go to you. Price is only on trial, doesen't mean Fon-Williams won't join.