Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Latest Derby News Isn't good. Steven Davies is injured AGAIN get him out now.

Secondly, The Gary Hooper deal is stalled and Nige isn't interested in bringing him in anymore as we have "6 strikers" already, even though 4/6 of them are always injured, and one of them is poor.

I can see us struggling to stay in the league next season.

Well Rodgers is well underway as the manager of Swansea, and it's all looking good so far.

This is how i expect him to start the season:

De Vries

Rangel Williams Monk Tate

Cotterill Donnelly Pratley VDG/Dyer

Dobbie T.Smith/Graham

Players considered on the bench:

New Signing - CB

Serran - CB

Alfie - RB

Richards - RB

Taylor - LB

Lopez - CM

Gower - CM/Wing

VDG/Dyer - Wing

T.Smith/Graham - Fwd

Kuqi - CF

This is a side with Joe Allen & Bodde injured. Orlandi looks set to leave, so Donnelly would do fine in the midfield he looks a superb player from what i've seen and an improvement on Britton, able to do whatever Britton can do and more with attacking runs and goals which Britton never had at Swansea.

I expect Rodgers main priority to be a centre-half and a goalscoring forward. As for the centre-back i haven't heard any names, but expect someone with quality to push for a starting place which no-one has ever done since Williams has joined to partner Monk.

For the forward i hope he signs either Danny Graham, which Swansea have been linked with prior to Rodgers apointment or Tommy Smith and although Smith was a winger, Rodgers played him as a striker at Watford and he was very succesfull. Smith would cost us 700-1m in my opinion with Pompy's financial problems, we've had a 600k bid for Danny Graham rejected but i wouldn't really be prepared to spend anymore for him.

Orlandi could leave, and possibly (hopefully) Lopez might leave the club aswell as Butler which leaves us lacking in numbers from the midfield we had last season. But i don't see a problem, we have four strong wingers in Gower, Dyer, VDG & Cotterill and we have four strong centre-midfielders in Donnelly, Allen, Pratley & Bodde we might need a versatile player like Stephen Quinn but if we don't we'll be fine. Maybe for the first 2-3 months a loan would help out very nicely as Bodde's out for a while, Allens out for the first month of the season so it would really come in handy in the centre-midfield. That's only if Orlandi does go, but if he doesn't then we don't need any sort of a signing.

Guest Scout Maker

We lost 1-0 to Chelsea but it's just a chance for some trialists to play and for this new team to gel. It was great to see Danns, Ambrose and Julian all starting :)

Dorman just didn't do anything, his positional play is terrible, he's quite lazy aswell but to be honest it's just a pre season friendly. I think we should play Danns in the middle and play Dorman down the left.

I was impressed with Radosavlijevic, he played in all of Slovenia's games at the World Cup and he linked the play well down the middle. Surely worth having another look at him but I'd be delighted if we sign him. I was also impressed with Davide Baiocco, he's 35 and he is an Italian Midfielder currently playing for Brescia and he's about 5 foot 5. I thought he was going to have a nightmare of a game today against Essien and Mikel in midfield, but he actually bossed the Midfield and he and Radosavlijevic could be a deadly partnership in Midfield next season. Baiocco is worth another look and I think we should offer him a 1 year deal, he's very composed on the ball and would teach the younger players a thing or two. Although there was a moment when he looked to cross it in and completely air kicked the ball

I didn't like the look of the Left Back Anthony Quasafane, he looked like he was playing out of position. He's very tall and he keep drifting in towards the Centre Backs and it seemed he really wanted to play there. Worth another look but I wouldn't be dissapointed if we don't sign him.

The youngsters were great, Zaha is immense and so is Cadogan. Hopefully they can do a Clyne/Moses and then we can earn a few million off of them.

We need a striker though, I'm not sure who but if we can scout Italian midgets who play for Brescia, I think we can scout a goalscorer. After todays game I'd like to see us play this team against Leicester at the start of the season. (PS: Remi and Bruno are probably not joining the club, Burley hasn't made any comment on them, they could just be on trial with other clubs though.)

----------------------------------Speroni---------------------------------

------Clyne-----McCarthy ©------Davis/Barrett---------D.Wright----------

-------Ambrose-------Baiocco-----Radosavlijevik----------Dorman----------

--------------------------------Danns-------------------------------------

-----------------------------Lee/New Striker------------------------------

Subs:

Lewis Price

Calvin Andrew

Sean Scannel

Wilfred Zaha

Liam Bridcutt

Claude Davis/Adam Barrett

Alan Lee/New Striker

Guest Scout Maker

According to todays' People, we are favourites to sign Hugo Colace from Barnsley. This would be an amazing signing if we can pull it off. He's got great vision and for a Defensive Midfielder he scored 11 goals in the League since Late 2008 which isn't bad. He's a Burley type of player. Hopefully we can pinch him from under Leicester Manager Da Souza's nose.

EDIT: Just found this....

GEORGE Burley has revealed he would like to make at least two new signings for Crystal Palace this week.

The Eagles boss saw his side put in a creditable display during Saturday’s 1-0 friendly defeat at the hands of Chelsea, a game which saw three trialists on display in front of a 21,345 Selhurst Park crowd.

Slovenian international Aleksander Radosavljevic and veteran Italian Davide Baiocco both played in midfield, while Algerian defender Anthony Ouasfane was installed at left back.

Burley admitted afterwards the trio had impressed and also confirmed he expects to tie up a pair of signings, although he didn’t say if they involved any of the three who played against Chelsea.

“Hopefully we will have at least two new players signed by next week,” the Scotsman said.

“We’ve got a situation where we are trying to build a squad up, as well as getting everybody fit, and I was very pleased.

“We had three trialists, Claude Davis has only trained for three or four days, young players came on and both Zaha and Cadogan did very well, so overall I thought it was excellent.

“I think all three trialists did well. We knew the two midfield players had quality, which they showed.

“The young left back on trial did very well, so we will look at that situation.

“With the two midfield players, we will look at it and I’m sure we will have to make a decision.

“The young left back is someone I would like to take down to Exeter to have another look at him but I thought he coped very well against Chelsea.”

Burley added he was delighted to see Paddy McCarthy sign a new contract in the run up to the Chelsea game.

The manager confirmed the Irishman would be the club captain for the forthcoming campaign and also singled out defensive partner Adam Barrett for special praise.

He said: “Paddy is the captain and has just committed to the club for three years. He is a leader and he is a winner.

“Some of the defending against Chelsea, especially in the first half, we were defending for our lives.

“You look at Adam Barrett who has played in a lower league and you think he should have been playing higher.

“He is at the stage of his career where maybe you think he is at the twilight, but he showed today he can do a job for us.”

Burley added: “We are building for the future. I think we are rebuilding and the fans appreciate it.

“It was a difficult season for the club from everybody involved with administration – the fans, the academy, senior players – and hopefully we’ve turned the corner.

“We’ve got a new consortium who are right behind the club and are Palace fans.

“They are looking to invest and aren’t just going to throw money at it.

“We’ve got to work hard with the budget we’ve got.

“If wed get the support and that carries through to season tickets, that will help the finances as well, so I think these are exciting times.

“There is still a lot of rebuilding to be done but I’m excited about it and I think the fans are.

“The players showed their quality by looking to pass it and move, which we are trying to get them to do.

“Overall there are going to be ups and downs but hopefully we can keep building.”

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8..._double_swoop/

Hopefully it's Radosavlijevik and Colace and then we sign Baiocco the week after

Guest Scout Maker

Colace wont join Palace' date=' he's not great anyway. But he'll almost certainly join Leicester.[/quote']

Apparently he's good friends with Speroni and he's persuading him to join. I can't see him rejecting Leicester though.

Colace has signed a new two year contract with Barnsley, so that's him staying put.

In other news, it looks like DJ Campbell is staying at Leicester :D 3 goals in 3 pre-season friendlies, hopefully he can reproduce his Blackpool form for us. Maybe we'll loan him out to Leeds or something to help them...

Colace has signed a new two year contract with Barnsley' date=' so that's him staying put.

In other news, it looks like DJ Campbell is staying at Leicester :D 3 goals in 3 pre-season friendlies, hopefully he can reproduce his Blackpool form for us. Maybe we'll loan him out to Leeds or something to help them...[/quote']

Do you think Sousa will want to keep Campbell then? I know Blackpool were haggling over the price because Leicester wanted £1.5m for him but it has gone all quiet. Not looking good for them because they are still trying to get Dobbie and Bannan back but Coleman looks to be staying at Everton. Billy Clarke is out for 6-12 months with a bad injury too. If you look at their squad its not good reading.

Guest Scout Maker

Colace has signed a new two year contract with Barnsley' date=' so that's him staying put.

In other news, it looks like DJ Campbell is staying at Leicester :D 3 goals in 3 pre-season friendlies, hopefully he can reproduce his Blackpool form for us. Maybe we'll loan him out to Leeds or something to help them...[/quote']

Yep, dissapointed with that, hopefully we can get Garvan though, we've bidded £200,00.

Do you think Sousa will want to keep Campbell then? I know Blackpool were haggling over the price because Leicester wanted £1.5m for him but it has gone all quiet. Not looking good for them because they are still trying to get Dobbie and Bannan back but Coleman looks to be staying at Everton. Billy Clarke is out for 6-12 months with a bad injury too. If you look at their squad its not good reading.

Well if Sousa doesn't hit it off with him then he's gone, whether it's sold for a cheap fee or loaned out to a rival (like with Dobbie) but it may be that he joins Blackpool on loan.

They aren't going to get Dobbie, now Sousa's left. He's Swansea's best striker, always has been so Rodgers has got to be mental (like Sousa) to loan him out. They might well get Bannan, Villa surely need to be happy to let him have some premier league experience.

One of there strikers retired aswell, looking pretty desperate and they haven't got a decent goalkeeper either. Record of the least points in a season coming up ...

Well if Sousa doesn't hit it off with him then he's gone' date=' whether it's sold for a cheap fee or loaned out to a rival (like with Dobbie) but it may be that he joins Blackpool on loan.

They aren't going to get Dobbie, now Sousa's left. He's Swansea's best striker, always has been so Rodgers has got to be mental (like Sousa) to loan him out. They might well get Bannan, Villa surely need to be happy to let him have some premier league experience.

One of there strikers retired aswell, looking pretty desperate and they haven't got a decent goalkeeper either. Record of the least points in a season coming up ...[/quote']

Blackpool can't afford to spend £1.5m on a player like DJ, it's just not worth it and there are much better players out there for that amount. Maybe this is the start for his rejuvenated Leicester career.

Can't really see that happening' date=' but Keane already has 3 keepers at Ipswich in Lee-Barrett, Murphy & Martyn and they should focus here interests on Chopra and a defender.[/quote']

I'm not sure why they need a kepper because Murphy is decent, I just think Keane is trying to prove to the fans that he can sign big (for the Championship) players.

They need a good centre foward, some-one like DJ Campbell, and Swansea are after Priskin so that would bring in funds to help buy some-one like Campbell. For me personally, I would like to see Keano buy Campbell or Blackstock, but lets face it, Blackstock would be near impossible to sign.

Their losing Bruce (I think), and I don't think that Ipswich are getting anything in finacnially for that deal, so they should try and get a central defender on loan, and buy a left back.

I'm not sure why they need a kepper because Murphy is decent' date=' I just think Keane is trying to prove to the fans that he can sign big (for the Championship) players.

They need a good centre foward, some-one like DJ Campbell, and Swansea are after Priskin so that would bring in funds to help buy some-one like Campbell. For me personally, I would like to see Keano buy Campbell or Blackstock, but lets face it, Blackstock would be near impossible to sign.

Their losing Bruce (I think), and I don't think that Ipswich are getting anything in finacnially for that deal, so they should try and get a central defender on loan, and buy a left back.[/quote']

Well Ipswich don't want Bruce that's why he went on loan to Leicester last season,

As for a forward they've been chasing Michael Chopra for a while and are prepared to spend 3 million on him, with Cardiff desperatly needing the money with Joe Ledley leaving for nothing.

Well Ipswich don't want Bruce that's why he went on loan to Leicester last season' date='

As for a forward they've been chasing Michael Chopra for a while and are prepared to spend 3 million on him, with Cardiff desperatly needing the money with Joe Ledley leaving for nothing.[/quote']

Chopra would be good, but I don't like Cardiff which means I don't like Chopra:rolleyes: But if he did the business for Ipswich, I'd like him.

Chopra would be good' date=' but I don't like Cardiff which means I don't like Chopra:rolleyes: But if he did the business for Ipswich, I'd like him.[/quote']

Well Cardiff owe roughly 35 million, which will only rise. There's interest at 3 million, which means they need to sell 3 million worth of players at the least but they need to decrease there debts really. Dating back to the sale of Cameron Jerome, then Chopra, then Ramsey, then Roger Johnson & now it looks like they'll need to sell Chopra again but it's not too simple as they haven't even paid the full fee yet for Chopra from Sunderland and Sunderland want there money. Same for Hudson, they owe Charlton 500k as there yet to pay the full fee for that transfer. So Cardiff pretty much have to sell him, and Ipswich are the only team to really put in a bid for him, so Cardiff could just let him go to Ipswich.

Leeds join Norwich, Arsenal, Tottenham and Burnley in banning vuvuzelas.

Meanwhile on the club front, things starting to look desperate now. Turned over 4-0 by League 2 Bury, only six subs on the bench for some reason. Paynter off having a meal in Sheffield instead of playing, not a clue what exactly he was thinking.

If we don't sign a defensive midfielder we are really, really going to struggle. Even then, we still need a goalscorer and a centre-back to be competitive. I'd be happy to see Paynter, Becchio or Somma given a chance at this level, but we'd have struck very lucky if any of them is prolific at this level. Three weeks to sign a bit of quality. Ten Brazilians joined for trial today, I doubt any of them will particularly impress, but who knows. Grayson doesn't sound confident.

I'm getting more and more peeved off with Bates by the day. In January he refused to give Grayson money to spend because he was saving it for "Championship warchest". The gamble just, just paid off. We were forced to sign Paul bleeding Dickov because we couldn't afford anyone better. Now we're in the Championship, this warchest has supposedly disappeared. According to Bates we received absolutely nothing up front for Delph and it's all paid installments. The little amount we have received has been give to Bradford because, and I quote, "they were in a tight spot". Meanwhile sell on fees from Kilgallon and Milner, compo from Garbutt, the two City youngsters and all the money from the FA Cup run has seemingly disappeared into oblivion. We couldn't even buy Thorp Arch back and Bates is obsessed with a bleeding hotel which will only put us £90m in debt. is wrong with him!!? He's refusing to get his hand of out of his pocket for even £500k. According to Grayson McArthur's "out of our price range" yet Wigan have just had a £500k fee accepted for him.

This is becoming ridiculous now. As it is, we're going to be competing with Shorpe to avoid coming dead last.

West Ham are interested in Chris Weale. :( They don't need him' date=' they have Robert Green and he'll go there and sit on the bench, which is pointless for a player of his calibre.[/quote']

Well unless West Ham offer him a lot of money, he wont want to go. He'll want to play regular football.

But in my opinion Weale is a dodgy keeper and if you let him go i feel you'll get a better replacement in.

West Ham are interested in Chris Weale. :( They don't need him' date=' they have Robert Green and he'll go there and sit on the bench, which is pointless for a player of his calibre.[/quote']

i was gutted we let him go tbh, on a free aswell :o

he is a superb keeper, hope he stays with you, like you said he is to good to play second fiddle

Well unless West Ham offer him a lot of money' date=' he wont want to go. He'll want to play regular football.

[b']But in my opinion Weale is a dodgy keeper and if you let him go i feel you'll get a better replacement in.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Explain please...

Well unless West Ham offer him a lot of money' date=' he wont want to go. He'll want to play regular football.

[b']But in my opinion Weale is a dodgy keeper and if you let him go i feel you'll get a better replacement in.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Explain please...

He's not great with crosses and does look prone from set-pieces, obviously to a much smaller extent then Marshall at Cardiff but for me he's one of the weaker keepers in the Championship ... just my personal opinion.

He's not great with crosses and does look prone from set-pieces' date=' obviously to a much smaller extent then Marshall at Cardiff but for me he's one of the weaker keepers in the Championship ... just my personal opinion.[/quote']

As you can probably guess, I don't agree. One of our most reliable performers last season, consistent, rarely makes mistakes and a good shot stopper.

He's not great with crosses and does look prone from set-pieces' date=' obviously to a much smaller extent then Marshall at Cardiff but for me he's one of the weaker keepers in the Championship ... just my personal opinion.[/quote']

:rolleyes: he is one of the better keepers in the championship,