Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Lol. what a great goal.

Even worse than that though is Derby releasing that game on DVD. Other than that it was hardly a game to remember.

Are you going to watch us against the brum today wozza?

Im gonna go along as i was encouraged by our performance against stoke. Birmingham will pose a different threat than Stoke did and im looking forward to seeing how the new guys handle it.

Brayford- I liked him against stoke. Supported the attack well however sometimes was a little too eager to push forward leaving space which a better team would have exploited.

Bailey- Spread the play well. I dont see him as being ready just yet. At times he ball watched.

Gareth Roberts- Looked solid in the left back position. IMO he is not as good as Jay Mceveley which is the disapointing aspect. I think Moxey will be the first choice left back this season.

Cywka- Some nice touches and moments where you can see the raw potential this guy has. Not too keen on him being on the right flank and would prefer him to be in the central attacking midfield role where he would be more involved.

Conor Doyle- Offered him a 2 year deal. He didnt do too much against stoke however was always willing to receive the ball. Often attempted to slide in through balls which were cut out by the Stoke defence.

Side i want to see vs Birmingham today.

Bywater

Brayford (RB)

Leacock (CB)

Anderson (CB)

Moxey (LB)

Commons (RW)

Green (CM)

Bailey (CM)

Cywka (AM)

Martin (LW)

Porter (S)

The new formation looks pretty nice but without a right midfielder atm i think Commons should do a job on that side and leave the left side to Dave Martin or possibley Ben Pringle who impressed vs Stoke.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Side i want to see vs Birmingham today.

Bywater

Brayford (RB)

Leacock (CB)

Anderson (CB)

Moxey (LB)

Commons (RW)

Green (CM)

Bailey (CM)

Cywka (AM)

Martin (LW)

Porter (S)

The new formation looks pretty nice but without a right midfielder atm i think Commons should do a job on that side and leave the left side to Dave Martin or possibley Ben Pringle who impressed vs Stoke.

Could that mean that you might be playing 4-5-1 next Saturday? We will probably end up playing 4-5-1 ourselves' date=' never used it in the past but with two of our five strikers out suspended or injured Grayson's tried out 4-5-1/4-3-3 in pre-season and it's proved to be very successful, admittedly against a League 1 side and a weakened Norwegian side. It fits our players perfectly, although Snodgrass' injury is a huge blow, he's been our best player in pre-season. Absolutely disgusting tackle for a pre-season tackle, two feet, off the ground, not even close to the ball. Snoddy could be out for the entire season now. :rolleyes:

We're playing Wolves today, our first real test of pre-season. With Gradel and Somma suspended for Derby, I expect Grayson will go a team that can play next week, so I reckon we'll line up:

[center']Schmeichel

Connolly - Bruce - Collins - Bessone

Kilkenny

Howson - Johnson

Sam - - - - - - - - White

Becchio[/center]

An entirely new back 5, although Collins was on loan last season. Naylor or Bromby might play instead of Bruce or Collins, really not sure what the order is in Grayson's mind. Last season he refused to drop Naylor though, despite him being at fault for a lot of our goals, and he is still captain, so he could well play. If he does, and baring in mind we're without our best player, two key strikers and are biggest impact player, I can't see past a Derby win next week.

Schmeichel

Connolly - Bruce - Collins - Bessone

Kilkenny

Howson - Johnson

Sam - - - - - - - - White

Becchio

An entirely new back 5' date=' although Collins was on loan last season. Naylor or Bromby might play instead of Bruce or Collins, really not sure what the order is in Grayson's mind. Last season he refused to drop Naylor though, despite him being at fault for a lot of our goals, and he is still captain, so he could well play. If he does, and baring in mind we're without our best player, two key strikers and are biggest impact player, I can't see past a Derby win next week.[/quote']

I'd say you need someone better than Becchio up front. I can't see him scoring too many at Championship level. Is Paynter not going to be fit? Someone like Marlon Harewood would be a great signing for Leeds.

Also, I'd say 4-3-3 would be better than 4-5-1, and I thought White was LB, not AML? Maybe you should play him at LB instead of Bessone.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Leeds do this season with all these additions. Schmeichel was an absolute bargain and Bruce should be a good signing as well. I personally think they'll be in the top 10.

I'd say you need someone better than Becchio up front. I can't see him scoring too many at Championship level. Is Paynter not going to be fit? Someone like Marlon Harewood would be a great signing for Leeds.

Also' date=' I'd say 4-3-3 would be better than 4-5-1, and I thought White was LB, not AML? Maybe you should play him at LB instead of Bessone.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Leeds do this season with all these additions. Schmeichel was an absolute bargain and Bruce should be a good signing as well. I personally think they'll be in the top 10.[/quote']

Bessone is a quality left-back, White can play left-back & left-wing as far as i can understand. Bessone will be a regular for Leeds. He's one of the fastest players in the Championship, you wouldn't have thought it - he rarely uses his pace but when he does he can go. Watching Swansea train last season he was the fastest player when they did do sprints and by some way.

But for me the Leeds's defence is a little slow, with the exception of Bessone. Without Snodgrass the wings do look weak, and Leeds do need a new striker either a loan for August or permanent with Paynter, Gradel and a couple of others out.

Likely side Vs Hull City away, opening day of the season:

GK) Dorus De Vries

CB) Ashley Williams

CB) Gary Monk ©

RB) Angel Rangel

LB) Alan Tate

DM) Jordi Lopez

CM) Andrea Orlandi

RM) Nathan Dyer

LM) David Cotterill

AM) Darren Pratley

CF) Stephen Dobbie

Subs: D.Cornell, A.Serran, J.Richards, S.Donnelly, M.Gower, C.Van Der Gun, C.Beattie

Rangel has said that he wants to leave Swansea, the Swans have turned down a bid of 750k from Blackpool for him. If Blackpool are prepared to pay 850k or something in that region then i'd be happy for Rangel to go. His contract ends next season so we can't afford for him to run out of a contract.

If we sold him, we'd just have to replace him with a quality right-back, we've been linked with Jack Cork who can played across the defence for a season long long. I'd want somebody permanent though and hopefully we can replace him with some quality.

Aron Gunnarsson pulls his back taking a throw-in.

Meanwhile John Ruddy seems to have forgotten he signed for Norwich. A tame effort from Cahill right at him, he managed to let it go right through his legs and into the goal. Oh dear.

Also' date=' I'd say 4-3-3 would be better than 4-5-1, and I thought White was LB, not AML? Maybe you should play him at LB instead of Bessone.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Leeds do this season with all these additions. Schmeichel was an absolute bargain and Bruce should be a good signing as well. I personally think they'll be in the top 10.[/quote']

How much have you seen of Becchio? He's one of our best players and is perfect for that lone striker role. Without Becchio, I doubt Beckford would have got half his goals last season. He is such a key player to the team, and when he was given a more attacking role alongside Gradel, he scored over a goal a game. He caused Man United, Spurs and more so Liverpool plenty of problems last season, scoring against Spurs. I'm more than confident that he'll be a success at this level.

White has always been a winger, but the Leeds management has groomed him into a left-back. He played left-back and left-wing a similar amount of times last season, and looked a bit suscepticle at left-back. Jason Puncheon tore him apart. But whenever he's played on the wing, he's been one of our best players. With his incredible pace and trickery he causes tonnes of problems. His crossing needs working on, but that'll came with age.

We do need another striker, especially now Paynter will be out for a couple of months. Harewood would not be that man though, he plays a similar role to Paynter and Becchio, the strong, support role. He's probably better than those two, but he's not the goalscorer to replace Beckford. Somma could well be that man, it'll be interesting to how he fares when he returns from suspension. He's proved a right handful in pre-season.

We also need a holding midfielder, it was something we really lacked last season with Doyle proving not good enough, and since he's returned to Cov we've not replaced him.

Bates and Grayson strongly hinted that two new players should be in before Derby. Presumably one a striker, and it sounded like Bates let slip it was Keogh (his words were "We've been in negotiations with Ke- Bruce"). Like Harewood, better than what we've got, not what we need, I hope he's not the striker.

Elliott, you sum it up well. Apart from Bessone, our defense is very slow, especially if Naylor is playing. However we got to the play-off final with a defense of Gregan and Butler four years ago, who were two of the slowest players I've ever seen wear the shirt, so I'm not too worried. Fast players might cause us a problem, but then again, that's the same for a lot of teams.

Elliott' date=' you sum it up well. Apart from Bessone, our defense is very slow, especially if Naylor is playing. However we got to the play-off final with a defense of Gregan and Butler four years ago, who were two of the slowest players I've ever seen wear the shirt, so I'm not too worried. Fast players might cause us a problem, but then again, that's the same for a lot of teams.[/quote']

:confused: Elliot ...

Bit fed up of sky sports news, they actually don't know anything bar Rooney to Giggs to Berbatov. Gunarsson pulled his back with a throw in, then the guy makes a comment about that he'd expect Delap to pull his back and not Gunarsson. Has he seen Gunarsson play, he's probably got the longest throw in the Championship ...

What has happened to Sheffield Utd?

They and Swansea are my favourite clubs in the championship. Don't want Utd to go down as my mate's dad used to play for the Blades :D.

Utd xi

Simonsen

Morgan Nosworthy

Yeates Ertl Britton Quinn

Evans Henderson

I suspect that will be the Blades xi not sure about the fullback postions?

Bit fed up of sky sports news' date=' they actually don't know anything bar Rooney to Giggs to Berbatov. Gunarsson pulled his back with a throw in, then the guy makes a comment about that he'd expect Delap to pull his back and not Gunarsson. Has he seen Gunarsson play, he's probably got the longest throw in the Championship ...[/quote']

Do you know how long Aron will be out for?

Will be devastated if he misses our first game against Portsmouth. :(

What has happened to Sheffield Utd?

They and Swansea are my favourite clubs in the championship. Don't want Utd to go down as my mate's dad used to play for the Blades :D.

Utd xi

Simonsen

Morgan Nosworthy

Yeates Ertl Britton Quinn

Evans Henderson

I suspect that will be the Blades xi not sure about the fullback postions?

Ye' date=' Sheffield United have made some horror signings. Blackwell is off his trolley, he's done the worst buisness in the transfer market by a long way. The only decent signing was Britton, and he doesn't fit there style of play at ll.

And i don't have a clue how long he'll be out for Dan, but even if he's ok for the start of the season he'll take it easy with the throw-ins for a while.

[center']This is what i expect the line-up to be:

Simoneson

Kozluk Morgan Nosworthy Taylor

Bogdanovic Montgomerey Britton Quinn

Henderson Evans[/center]

Ye' date=' Sheffield United have made some horror signings. Blackwell is off his trolley, he's done the worst buisness in the transfer market by a long way. The only decent signing was Britton, and he doesn't fit there style of play at ll.

And i don't have a clue how long he'll be out for Dan, but even if he's ok for the start of the season he'll take it easy with the throw-ins for a while.

[center']This is what i expect the line-up to be:

Simoneson

Kozluk Morgan Nosworthy Taylor

Bogdanovic Montgomerey Britton Quinn

Henderson Evans[/center]

Henderson's out injured for at least two months, maybe even as long as six months. Not too much of a problem for them as Cresswell can come in there. Also, no chance you'll see Bogdanovic on the wing - Jamie Ward would be a better bet. Still need a couple more defensive signings though, particularly at full-back. They've been chasing Naughton and Bartley on loan for weeks now.

We just beat Wolves 3-1, cracking result against pretty much their first team from what I can gather. Their only goal came from a free-kick which ghosted past everyone.

Typically the best player on the pitch was Max Gradel, scored an absolute wondergoal (see below) then created the second goal as well. Will miss the first three league games through suspension. Snodgrass, are our other star player in pre-season, is out injured indefinitely. But a very encouraging result against a very good side. After losing 4-0 to Bury we've responded by battering Hartlepool 5-0, Brann 3-1 and then beating Wolves 3-1. It is only pre-season, but the performances and the 4-5-1 has been very encouraging.

K7avYpTzdtI

hGp4y1bszT0

fu7pxBny1jw

Posted from some guy on Waccoe who paid for the £5 to watch the game on LUTV. Gradel's was a quality finish. Got a bit lucky for the second, but that's Gradel's spirit, just never gives up and chases every ball.

Bit fed up of sky sports news' date=' they actually don't know anything bar Rooney to Giggs to Berbatov. Gunarsson pulled his back with a throw in, then the guy makes a comment about that he'd expect Delap to pull his back and not Gunarsson. Has he seen Gunarsson play, he's probably got the longest throw in the Championship ...[/quote']

Sorry Aidan, got you mixed up with someone else. :D

Sheffield United's signings crack me up. They signed Simon Walton on a season-long loan who is one of least talented footballers I've ever had the pleasure of seeing, then he gets injured and will miss the rest of the season.

I was happy with our 2-1 defeat to Birmingham. The second goal we conceded was from Bywater blasting the ball at larsson and it going in the back of the net.

We were never outclassed by Birmingham who fielded a strong side. We should probably have picked up the draw however Moxey missed from close range and in a different move Paul Green also missed from close range.

Bailey was brilliant today, spreading the play and moving the ball very well indeed. Its time Savage took a back seat however, he slows our play down and is very predictable in his movement and passing.

A performance like this excites me even though its only pre-season, our youngsters have shown alot of promise.

Against Leeds i'll be happy with a draw as they will be well up for it at a packed Ellend Road. Many of our new boys will never have played in an atmosphere like that and may be intimidated by the occasion.

We could have done with having a home tie first to show these guys the atmosphere and what a real crowd looks like.

I was happy with our 2-1 defeat to Birmingham. The second goal we conceded was from Bywater blasting the ball at larsson and it going in the back of the net.

We were never outclassed by Birmingham who fielded a strong side. We should probably have picked up the draw however Moxey missed from close range and in a different move Paul Green also missed from close range.

Bailey was brilliant today' date=' spreading the play and moving the ball very well indeed. Its time Savage took a back seat however, he slows our play down and is very predictable in his movement and passing.

A performance like this excites me even though its only pre-season, our youngsters have shown alot of promise.

Against Leeds i'll be happy with a draw as they will be well up for it at a packed Ellend Road. Many of our new boys will never have played in an atmosphere like that and may be intimidated by the occasion.

We could have done with having a home tie first to show these guys the atmosphere and what a real crowd looks like.[/quote']

I watched those highlights on SSN. God knows what Bywater was doing for that goal. I also have no clue how on earth Moxey missed his chance, it was almost an open goal from about six yards and he skied it!

Should be a good game. I honestly have no clue how we'll do this season, if we get off to bad start and lose the first few games we could be in for a struggle, whereas we win a few we could be the surprise package. I'd be delighted with a comfortable mid-table finish tbh. It's a weird feeling, after the last two years of expecting to win every match, not knowing whatsoever whether we have a better side, or a weaker side, whether we'll do well or struggle.

I watched those highlights on SSN. God knows what Bywater was doing for that goal. I also have no clue how on earth Moxey missed his chance' date=' it was almost an open goal from about six yards and he skied it!

Should be a good game. I honestly have no clue how we'll do this season, if we get off to bad start and lose the first few games we could be in for a struggle, whereas we win a few we could be the surprise package. [b']I'd be delighted with a comfortable mid-table finish tbh[/b]. It's a weird feeling, after the last two years of expecting to win every match, not knowing whatsoever whether we have a better side, or a weaker side, whether we'll do well or struggle.

Wouldnt we all. lol.

Bywater made some excellent blocks and without him Birmingham could have been a few up but he has his moments of crazyness. I can remember him taking a throw in last season, losing the ball and conceding. lol

Moxey should have stuck that one away no problem. It was harder to miss from there.

Gradel interests me, ive not managed to watch him that much. Is he a consistant perfromer? How do you expect him to perform in the championship?

Thats disapointing. I like going to Ipswich. They have so many pubs around the stadium. Im sure we are away there on a tuesday night this year though. grumble grumble.

Derby might even be a Category C game if it's on a Tuesday night though. Been to Ipswich, wasn't great to be honest.

Thats disapointing. I like going to Ipswich. They have so many pubs around the stadium. Im sure we are away there on a tuesday night this year though. grumble grumble.
Derby might even be a Category C game if it's on a Tuesday night though. Been to Ipswich' date=' wasn't great to be honest.[/quote']

The bolded sentence might me why you didn't enjoy the trip to Ipswich as much Aidan. ;)

I wont be. I show my support but im not gonna be ripped off. 29 squid? no chance.

I hear we have sold our allocation and have gotten some more seats though.

Try 29 + 5 x 2 + 2 for an online charge.

Anyone know if the BBc are showing live games this season or not?

If so which ones?

Ye they are, the first being Leeds vs Derby 5:10pm.