Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

I think this is the worst signing of the Championship so far. Ipswich already have three goalkeepers who are good at Championship level' date=' they don't need another goalkeeper.

It's a waste of money. Probably on more wages then David James aswell.[/quote']

Worst signing of the Championship? Nonsense. He's better than what they've got, a cracking signing for this level. They may already have plenty of other 'keepers, but seeing as he's better than all of them I don't see how it can be called a bad signing.

I wouldn't call Lee-Barrett "good" at Championship level either. And for that matter McLoughlin has never played at Championship level! Where on earth do you get "three goalkeepers who are good at Championship level" from? They have one very good 'keeper, one who struggled in League 1 and a teenager.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Marton Fulop is welcome back at the Ricoh at any time. He had a great few months on loan for us, and has always wanted to come back. We were to sign him during the summer of '06, but Spurs cited European football as a need for 3 goalkeepers and as such didn't sell him to us. A few months later he is sold to Sunderland. :rolleyes:

We probably would have signed him this summer, but we've got Westwood so he's not needed.

Lee-Barrett was also at the Ricoh once, being signed from Weymouth. He didn't make an appearance in 4 months and was then released without anyone here really ever knowing anything. We've got a history of getting some cracking goalkeepers, so if Oggy didn't think he was able to cut the mustard, then he's probably not worth much at this level. League 1 would suit him fine. :)

Marton Fulop is welcome back at the Ricoh at any time. He had a great few months on loan for us' date=' and has always wanted to come back. We were to sign him during the summer of '06, but Spurs cited European football as a need for 3 goalkeepers and as such didn't sell him to us. A few months later he is sold to Sunderland. :rolleyes:

We probably would have signed him this summer, but we've got Westwood so he's not needed.

Lee-Barrett was also at the Ricoh once, being signed from Weymouth. He didn't make an appearance in 4 months and was then released without anyone here really ever knowing anything. We've got a history of getting some cracking goalkeepers, so if Oggy didn't think he was able to cut the mustard, then he's probably not worth much at this level. League 1 would suit him fine. :)[/quote']

Would have loved to of seen Fulop strutting his stuff at the Ricoh :(

Wasn't there speculation that good ol' Kieren wanted to leave the mighty Sky Blues mid-last season??

Guest Scout Maker

Owen Garvan is having a Medical at Palace now, and the £225K deal is set to be completed later today :)

Delighted with this, Keane hardly gave him a chance, he's a great talent and with some confidence he can be a very handy player.

We're linked with Sam Vokes on loan according to The Mirror, I'd be delighted with this aswell, he would probably score 10+ goals.

Tony Capaldi will not be joining as though as himself and Geroge Burley could not reach an agreement.

Worst signing of the Championship? Nonsense. He's better than what they've got' date=' a cracking signing for this level. They may already have plenty of other 'keepers, but seeing as he's better than all of them I don't see how it can be called a bad signing.

I wouldn't call Lee-Barrett "good" at Championship level either. And for that matter McLoughlin has never played at Championship level! Where on earth do you get "three goalkeepers who are good at Championship level" from? They have one very good 'keeper, one who struggled in League 1 and a teenager.[/quote']

Brian Murphy, Richard Wright, Aaron Lee-Barrett

Lee-Barret's not the best but he's not a 4th choice keeper is he. They'll get rid of Lee-Barrett, and probably Wright but it's not neccesary is it.

They need a quality centre-back, and a goalscoring forward, maybe a play-maker. A lot of there wage bill will have been used on Fulop.

Guest JackWWFC

Owen Garvan is having a Medical at Palace now' date=' and the £225K deal is set to be completed later today :)

Delighted with this, Keane hardly gave him a chance, he's a great talent and with some confidence he can be a very handy player.

We're linked with Sam Vokes on loan according to The Mirror, I'd be delighted with this aswell, he would probably score 10+ goals.

Tony Capaldi will not be joining as though as himself and Geroge Burley could not reach an agreement.[/quote']

Vokesy has been class Pre-Season. Scored about 4. Ever since he got back from Leeds he's been better, he didn't like Leeds apparently though.

He'll do well for you in the Fizzy Pop league mate.

Guest JackWWFC

Owen Garvan is having a Medical at Palace now' date=' and the £225K deal is set to be completed later today :)

Tony Capaldi will not be joining as though as himself and Geroge Burley could not reach an agreement.[/quote']

I'd actually prefer you to have Keogh to be honest. MAKE A BID PLEASE :o

Guest JackWWFC

Alot has been tossed around CCFC about Aidy Boothroyd bringing in Marlon King.

We all know he is a great number 9 front man' date=' but with his previous track record, it would be a massive risk for the club, what do you guys think?[/quote']

Scum needs to have his legs broken, just like Lee Hughes.

He comes out of jail and is able to earn hundreds of thousands a year.

JOKE

Brian Murphy' date=' Richard Wright, Aaron Lee-Barrett

Lee-Barret's not the best but he's not a 4th choice keeper is he. They'll get rid of Lee-Barrett, and probably Wright but it's not neccesary is it.

They need a quality centre-back, and a goalscoring forward, maybe a play-maker. A lot of there wage bill will have been used on Fulop.[/quote']

Richard Wright got released.

Lee-Barrett isn't good enough.

So yes, another GK was required. A player as good as Fulop maybe not necessary, but it is still a fantastic signing.

I'd actually prefer you to have Keogh to be honest. MAKE A BID PLEASE :o

I think we might be trying to get Keogh. :rolleyes:

I really hope not. He's probably better than what we've got but he's not what we need.

Richard Wright got released.

Lee-Barrett isn't good enough.

So yes' date=' another GK was required. A player as good as Fulop maybe not necessary, but it is still a fantastic signing.[/quote']

Richard Wright woudn't have been released though and didn't need to be released to sign Fulop, Brian Murphy is too good to be on the bench so Lee-Barrett will probably be on the bench and Ipswich'll loan out Murphy but try and avoid him going to a rival.

Would have loved to of seen Fulop strutting his stuff at the Ricoh :(

Wasn't there speculation that good ol' Kieren wanted to leave the mighty Sky Blues mid-last season??

He was linked to Spurs in January. He didn't want to leave though; he played 45 minutes of one game with an injury just so the fans didn't think he was off. What a guy.

What an awful name for the Champo. I was just getting used to the CCC

Now its NPC

The Non-playable character? There's a load of those in this division. :P

I'm surprised nobody seems to be signing Robert Koren, I think he'd be a great addition to a Championship side and would maybe help turn a mid table one into a contender for promotion.

Steven Caldwell might be another one, would do a good solid job at most if not all Championship teams.

I'm surprised nobody seems to be signing Robert Koren' date=' I think he'd be a great addition to a Championship side and would maybe help turn a mid table one into a contender for promotion.

Steven Caldwell might be another one, would do a good solid job at most if not all Championship teams.[/quote']

Koren would be outside Preston's wage structure. Im hoping that Preston give Caldwell a chance despite his Burnley past, plenty of players go from Preston to Burnley, but hardly any go the other way (Richard Chaplow the exception, but he went via West Brom)

Sky Sports predicted table:

Middlesbrough

Nottingham Forest

----------------------

Burnley

Hull City

Leicester

Cardiff

---------------------

Reading

QPR

Bristol City

Swansea

Sheffield United

Portsmouth

---------------------

Doncaster

Crystal Palace

Ipswich

Norwich

Derby

Coventry

Leeds

Preston

Millwall

----------------------

Watford

Barnsley

Shorpe

Interesting stuff. Can't see Forest coming second, last season was their big chance to go up and they didn't take it. I'd say the play off places they've said sound reasonable, although maybe Leicester and Cardiff might come a bit short. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Reading in the play offs, although I'm not sure QPR will be that high. I expect both Leeds and Norwich to do better than what SS have suggested. I've also got a feeling Ipswich will challenge for the play offs, and not in the bottom half.

As for the bottom three, I think Barnsley have got more than enough to stay up and I think Millwall will go down. I'm a bit surprised to see Shorpe bottom (although I can also see them going down), although that is probably because of the loss of Hooper. I reckon Watford will go down.

Lol. what a great goal.

Even worse than that though is Derby releasing that game on DVD. Other than that it was hardly a game to remember.

Are you going to watch us against the brum today wozza?

Im gonna go along as i was encouraged by our performance against stoke. Birmingham will pose a different threat than Stoke did and im looking forward to seeing how the new guys handle it.

Brayford- I liked him against stoke. Supported the attack well however sometimes was a little too eager to push forward leaving space which a better team would have exploited.

Bailey- Spread the play well. I dont see him as being ready just yet. At times he ball watched.

Gareth Roberts- Looked solid in the left back position. IMO he is not as good as Jay Mceveley which is the disapointing aspect. I think Moxey will be the first choice left back this season.

Cywka- Some nice touches and moments where you can see the raw potential this guy has. Not too keen on him being on the right flank and would prefer him to be in the central attacking midfield role where he would be more involved.

Conor Doyle- Offered him a 2 year deal. He didnt do too much against stoke however was always willing to receive the ball. Often attempted to slide in through balls which were cut out by the Stoke defence.

Side i want to see vs Birmingham today.

Bywater

Brayford (RB)

Leacock (CB)

Anderson (CB)

Moxey (LB)

Commons (RW)

Green (CM)

Bailey (CM)

Cywka (AM)

Martin (LW)

Porter (S)

The new formation looks pretty nice but without a right midfielder atm i think Commons should do a job on that side and leave the left side to Dave Martin or possibley Ben Pringle who impressed vs Stoke.

Sorry' date=' I'm about a week behind, I haven't checked the forums :o

Sefty: We will be playing 4-2-3-1, very much like the formation which was used in the World Cup by Germany and the like.

The team I would like to see start against Leeds would be:

[center']Bywater

Brayford - Anderson - Leacock - Roberts

Bailey - Green

Cwyka - Commons - Martin

Hulse[/center]

However, the team Clough will probably choose will be:

Bywater

Brayford - Anderson - Leacock - Roberts

Savage - Bailey

Cwyka - Green - Commons

Porter

There isn't many differences apart from Savage comes into the center, which I am not too confident with, as Bailey will have to carry him through most of the game, whereas Bailey and Green in the center of the park will be a solid engine room which could work effectively.

Green isn't an attacking midfielder, so why put him behind the striker? He isn't skilled enough in front of goal, he is a box to box midfielder, so why put him there? He'll just be wasted.

Also, by putting Commons on the left, hes only filling 30% of his potential. He is wasted in the left hand side!! He needs to play Martin on the left, who is an out and out winger and will track back, whereas Commons won't!!

I can also see Clough starting with Porter. Yes, he scores goals, but what else has he done this pre season? He doesn't close anything down like Hulse does, hence why we need Hulse to start in my opinion.

By looking at both teams, it is obvious we are missing on vital part. It's pretty blatent aswell. PACE. Our pace in the final third really is lacking, and we desperately need a new striker either on loan or permanently.

As for this season, I think we'll struggle. I haven't renewed my season ticket because I just think it'll be the same old relegation scrap, and to be quite honest, who has he signed which is going to send shivers down the spines of other teams in the league? His signings aren't going to set the world alight, but we'll see.

UTR!

Id also like to see Martin on the left now you mention it. Commons or Cywka have to start in attacking midfield. Both would be brilliant there and are not at their best on the wings. I wouldnt mind Pringle starting on the wing either.

Green and Bailey should be nailed on for the centre of midfield. Savage slows the ball down and lets the opposition regroup.

Steve Morison is a name id like to see at Pride Park from Millwall. Decent scoring record and i believe he would be able to do it for us.

Im slightly more optimistic. I think we can get a top 10 place based on our pre-season performances against Stoke and Birmingham.

If we can get a guy like Emmanuel Thomas, Steve Morison or Adam Le Fandre i can see a top 10 finish.

Middlesbrough

Nottingham Forest

----------------------

Burnley

Hull City

Leicester

Cardiff

---------------------

Reading

QPR

Bristol City

Swansea

Sheffield United

Portsmouth

---------------------

Doncaster

Crystal Palace

Ipswich

Norwich

Derby

Coventry

Leeds

Preston

Millwall

----------------------

Watford

Barnsley

Shorpe

Interesting stuff. Can't see Forest coming second' date=' last season was their big chance to go up and they didn't take it. I'd say the play off places they've said sound reasonable, although maybe Leicester and Cardiff might come a bit short. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Reading in the play offs, although I'm not sure QPR will be that high. I expect both Leeds and Norwich to do better than what SS have suggested. I've also got a feeling Ipswich will challenge for the play offs, and not in the bottom half.

As for the bottom three, I think Barnsley have got more than enough to stay up and I think Millwall will go down. I'm a bit surprised to see Shorpe bottom (although I can also see them going down), although that is probably because of the loss of Hooper. I reckon Watford will go down.[/quote']

I cant see Portsmouth finishing in the top half. If you look at their official club website, you cant field a team with the players they have. Yes, they may be signing Ashdown and Jordan once the transfer embargo is lifted, but if they stay in administration (which looks likely as HM Revenue & Customs have lodged an appeal against them) they will remain under a transfer embargo and be deducted further points, and the season starts on Saturday.

EDIT: My mistake, I assumed the site hadnt changed, but they have promoted a keeper called Liam O'Brien.

I cant see Portsmouth finishing in the top half. If you look at their official club website' date=' you cant field a team with the players they have. Yes, they may be signing Ashdown and Jordan once the transfer embargo is lifted, but if they stay in administration (which looks likely as HM Revenue & Customs have lodged an appeal against them) they will remain under a transfer embargo and be deducted further points, and the season starts on Saturday.[/quote']

If you look at there prediction table last year and what actually happened, you'll see that it's never accurate and there rarely get anything right.

To put QPR up there is a joke, they put them up there every year but there squads only weakend from the side that finished nowhere near the play-offs.

Richard Wright woudn't have been released though and didn't need to be released to sign Fulop' date=' Brian Murphy is too good to be on the bench so Lee-Barrett will probably be on the bench and Ipswich'll loan out Murphy but try and avoid him going to a rival.[/quote']

Yes he would have... his contract ran out and Keane wasn't at all interested in renewing it. Either Wright wanted first-team football, higher wages, etc or Keane just decided he didn't someone of his age. How is Murphy "too good to be on the bench"? Ankergren was one of the best 'keepers in League 1, yet he still sat on the bench last season. Plenty of top 'keepers sit on the bench. Competition is healthy, even between 'keepers. They wouldn't loan out Murphy anyway, it'd be pointless. Either they'll have him as cover/competition or they'll sell him.

I'm surprised nobody seems to be signing Robert Koren' date=' I think he'd be a great addition to a Championship side and would maybe help turn a mid table one into a contender for promotion.

Steven Caldwell might be another one, would do a good solid job at most if not all Championship teams.[/quote']

I expect a ton of Championship sides are in for him, but he's probably holding out either for a Premiership side or bigger wages that CCC sides can't afford. I'd love us to sign him, but with Bates ridiculous tight wage structure and refusal to even negotiate, I doubt we're in for him.

Middlesbrough

Nottingham Forest

----------------------

Burnley

Hull City

Leicester

Cardiff

---------------------

Reading

QPR

Bristol City

Swansea

Sheffield United

Portsmouth

---------------------

Doncaster

Crystal Palace

Ipswich

Norwich

Derby

Coventry

Leeds

Preston

Millwall

----------------------

Watford

Barnsley

Shorpe

Interesting stuff. Can't see Forest coming second' date=' last season was their big chance to go up and they didn't take it. I'd say the play off places they've said sound reasonable, although maybe Leicester and Cardiff might come a bit short. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Reading in the play offs, although I'm not sure QPR will be that high. I expect both Leeds and Norwich to do better than what SS have suggested. I've also got a feeling Ipswich will challenge for the play offs, and not in the bottom half.

As for the bottom three, I think Barnsley have got more than enough to stay up and I think Millwall will go down. I'm a bit surprised to see Shorpe bottom (although I can also see them going down), although that is probably because of the loss of Hooper. I reckon Watford will go down.[/quote']

SSN are terrible, terrible at this sort of thing. The research is woeful. Hull 4th, McShane key man!? Portsmouth top half? They've based it entirely on last season and any big name transfer dealings. For Leeds they talked about Kisnorbo being our key man, saying how will be refreshed and ready for the new season after missing the WC through injury. That's all good and fine.. apart from he's out til February. They also had Sean McDaid mentioned in our transfers out - we released him in 2005.

Who do you support, btw? Man City?

I'd also be surprised if any of the promoted sides went straight back down. I actually think Millwall will be the surprise package. A few people are expecting us and Norwich to do well, whilst most predict Millwall to just avoid the drop. They haven't strengthened all that much, but I can just see them doing very well. Jackett sets them up so that they're very difficult to beat.

@Wozza

I wouldn't worry too much about pace. People are obsessed with it on the Leeds board. "We need a pacey defender", "We need a pacey striker to replace Beckford", "We need some more pace in midfield". It's not essential. The pacey players are often ones with no end product anyway. If they are fast and have a good end product, they're in the Premiership.

We have Gradel, White, Sam and now Watt who all have a bit of pace, but Gradel is suspended anyway. We do have a number of pacey wingers now, which is nice, but up front we don't have an abundance of it. I'm not worried, it'll be refreshing playing with a different style like we have in pre-season than the same old playing around Beckford/pacey striker thing. Sam and Snoddy have been superb at crossing in pre-season and with Becchio's ability in the air it's been working a charm. Get the ball out wide, let Snoddy/Sam/Gradel do their tricks, whip a cross in, Johnson/Becchio/Paynter to put it away. Or Gradel/Snoddy cutting inside, knocking it forward to Kilkenny/Howson, drawing it back for Sam/Becchio/Paynter. It's nice to watch.

That said, with our defense a pacey striker could cause havoc. However, I can't think off too many at this level who have the pace to rip through our defense and then create/score as well. Christ, we got to the play-off final with a defense of Crainey, Gregan, Butler and Kelly, probably the slowest defense in the league.

SSN are terrible' date=' terrible at this sort of thing. The research is woeful. Hull 4th, McShane key man!? Portsmouth top half? They've based it entirely on last season and any big name transfer dealings. For Leeds they talked about Kisnorbo being our key man, saying how will be refreshed and ready for the new season after missing the WC through injury. That's all good and fine.. apart from he's out til February. They also had Sean McDaid mentioned in our transfers out - we released him in 2005.

Who do you support, btw? Man City?

I'd also be surprised if any of the promoted sides went straight back down. I actually think Millwall will be the surprise package. A few people are expecting us and Norwich to do well, whilst most predict Millwall to just avoid the drop. They haven't strengthened all that much, but I can just see them doing very well. Jackett sets them up so that they're very difficult to beat.

[/quote']

I agree, SSN aren't great at doing this, however, the Championship is probably the best of the three they did (NPC, L1 and L2), the other two were worse imo. I could see Pompey finishing in the bottom part of the top half because for Championship level they are a big club and could probably attract some of the better Championship players (once the embargo goes) - but they'll obviously have to hope bargains are availible. Also they can get some good players on loan from Premiership teams who don't need them (e.g Sonko). They've also got the likes of Smith, Wilson, Nugent, Mokoena, and Hughes who have been and will be good at Championship level. Smith and Nugent in particular have showed themselves to be quality at Championship level. So, by the end of August, they could have a decent side put together, although I expect quite a bit of it may be loans and bargain players.

As for Hull, I agree, 4th doesn't seem that likely with the players they have. Although, I wouldn't rule them out as the players Pearson had at Leicester may not have been play off quality but he got them there, he could do the same for Hull.

Do you agree with where they have put Leeds?

Yeah, I support Man City, but I like to the post on this thread as I think the Championship is a great division.