Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Alan Sheehan could be off to Palace. I really hope this comes off, we really need to get rid of the deadwood. Swindon close to signing Kandol as well. Once we get those two, Michalik and Robinson off the wages the club will be able to move forwards again.

I agree' date=' SSN aren't great at doing this, however, the Championship is probably the best of the three they did (NPC, L1 and L2), the other two were worse imo. I could see Pompey finishing in the bottom part of the top half because for Championship level they are a big club and could probably attract some of the better Championship players (once the embargo goes) - but they'll obviously have to hope bargains are availible. Also they can get some good players on loan from Premiership teams who don't need them (e.g Sonko). They've also got the likes of Smith, Wilson, Nugent, Mokoena, and Hughes who have been and will be good at Championship level. Smith and Nugent in particular have showed themselves to be quality at Championship level. So, by the end of August, they could have a decent side put together, although I expect quite a bit of it may be loans and bargain players.[/quote']

Portsmouth barely have enough players to form a starting 11. The players at the club don't want to be there. And their best players will leave anyway. There's no chance Boateng will still be there once the embargo's lifted. Even if they don't get a chance to sell him, he won't be happy playing for them. I think they'll do well to stay up.

As for Hull, I agree, 4th doesn't seem that likely with the players they have. Although, I wouldn't rule them out as the players Pearson had at Leicester may not have been play off quality but he got them there, he could do the same for Hull.

Do you agree with where they have put Leeds?

Yeah, I support Man City, but I like to the post on this thread as I think the Championship is a great division.

Hull could do well, but they're on the brink of administration. If that happens I can't see past a bottom-half finish.

And not at all, I think us and Norwich will be challenging the top half. I'd be very disappointed if we came 19th, although it would be satisfactory.

I'd imagine Koren would have been on around 10-15k with the Albion this season' date=' had we taken up the option, based on the 'flex-up' clause we operate with, if that's any sort of a barometer.[/quote']

Hmm, within our wage range then. I'd imagine he's looking for a Prem move then. It'd be insane to not be in for him if he's in our price range, although maybe Bates wants to get rid of the deadwood (mentioned above) before offering another big contract. Really can't see him coming to us, would be the signing of the summer if he did though. He'll go to either a low Prem side or an established Championship side who are splashing cash freely (Boro maybe?). Or he might even go abroad.

I agree' date=' SSN aren't great at doing this, however, the Championship is probably the best of the three they did (NPC, L1 and L2), the other two were worse imo. I could see Pompey finishing in the bottom part of the top half because for Championship level they are a big club and could probably attract some of the better Championship players (once the embargo goes) - but they'll obviously have to hope bargains are availible. Also they can get some good players on loan from Premiership teams who don't need them (e.g Sonko). They've also got the likes of Smith, Wilson, Nugent, Mokoena, and Hughes who have been and will be good at Championship level. Smith and Nugent in particular have showed themselves to be quality at Championship level. So, by the end of August, they could have a decent side put together, although I expect quite a bit of it may be loans and bargain players.[/quote']

Once the embargo is lifted :confused: The embargo wont be lifted, only if they go under 21 players and those who are coming in will be for free transfers and on low wages.

Sonko is as good as they'll get, if they can get rid of Tommy Smith, Wilson, Nugent & Mokoena then they will do. I can see a lot of players leaving Portsmouth with huge debts just pilling up, just shows what a bad chairman can really do to a club (ruin it)

Once the embargo is lifted :confused: The embargo wont be lifted' date=' only if they go under 21 players and those who are coming in will be for free transfers and on low wages.

Sonko is as good as they'll get, if they can get rid of Tommy Smith, Wilson, Nugent & Mokoena then they will do. I can see a lot of players leaving Portsmouth with huge debts just pilling up, just shows what a bad chairman can really do to a club (ruin it)[/quote']

In some ways as cruel as it is for thier fans they need to let Pompy or Cardiff fold and send a clear message out too all the other clubs

I wouldn't say fold' date=' i'd say drop them down two or three divisions (Especially Cardiff :D)[/quote']

You can't drop teams down divisions just because of their financial state. :o

The best option would be fold tbh. Portsmouth are going down the chitter, a squad of 14 players was it? Could be more now. And a transfer embargo..

The best option would be fold tbh. Portsmouth are going down the chitter' date=' a squad of 14 players was it? Could be more now. And a transfer embargo..[/quote']

.... yes you can. Off the top of my head an example i can give you would be Telford.

They were forced to let go all of there players, a bit of quiz question for you. One of there players is now playing in the Premiership ... name him? (Try not to cheat :P)

The best option would be fold tbh. Portsmouth are going down the chitter' date=' a squad of 14 players was it? Could be more now. And a transfer embargo..[/quote']

Come on, Dan! It happened to Nuneaton for God's sake! Surely you would've heard about it?!

.... yes you can. Off the top of my head an example i can give you would be Telford.

They were forced to let go all of there players' date=' a bit of quiz question for you. One of there players is now playing in the Premiership ... name him? (Try not to cheat :P)[/quote']

Emile Heskey.

They were forced to let go all of there players' date=' a bit of quiz question for you. One of there players is now playing in the Premiership ... name him? (Try not to cheat :P)[/quote']

Not a clue :P

Come on' date=' Dan! It happened to Nuneaton for God's sake! Surely you would've heard about it?![/quote']

Nah, don't really follow Nuneaton, only Leamington down that far :o

Guest Scout Maker

Palace Predicted Line Up......

-------------------------------Speroni------------------------------------

----D.Wright-------McCarthy ©-----Barrett-------------Clyne-------------

------Ambrose----------Danns---------Garvan------------Dorman----------

------------------------Lee----------Vokes/Simpson-----------------------

Alan Sheehan could be off to Palace. I really hope this comes off' date=' we really need to get rid of the deadwood. Swindon close to signing Kandol as well. Once we get those two, Michalik and Robinson off the wages the club will be able to move forwards again.[/quote']

Personally I think Sheehan is underrated and would offer something to Leeds at left back. He's got a great left foot and is all right when it comes to defending too. Michalik's gone a bit downhill hasn't he, he was playing for Bolton in the Premiership two/three years ago and now he isn't even wanted by a Championship side :( .

Portsmouth barely have enough players to form a starting 11. The players at the club don't want to be there. And their best players will leave anyway. There's no chance Boateng will still be there once the embargo's lifted. Even if they don't get a chance to sell him' date=' he won't be happy playing for them. I think they'll do well to stay up.[/quote']

I agree, I don't think there is any chance at all Boateng will stay. But, as for others, like Smith, Hughes and Mokoena - surely they won't be able to find a better club who wants them? Although if I was a Portsmouth fan I would probably be saying I would be happy just to survive for this season. Also, like I said, even when their best players do leave, they can replace them with loans from Premiership sides. They've also got some decent youngsters haven't they? (Joel Ward, Gael Nlundulu etc)

Hmm' date=' within our wage range then. I'd imagine he's looking for a Prem move then. It'd be insane to not be in for him if he's in our price range, although maybe Bates wants to get rid of the deadwood (mentioned above) before offering another big contract. Really can't see him coming to us, would be the signing of the summer if he did though. He'll go to either a low Prem side or an established Championship side who are splashing cash freely (Boro maybe?). Or he might even go abroad.[/quote']

Maybe, once he realised nobody could afford his wages, he would drop them down a bit? To be fair to Bates, he seems like a very sensibile chairman who is just doing what he thinks is best for the club.

I agree' date=' I don't think there is any chance at all Boateng will stay. But, as for others, like Smith, Hughes and Mokoena - surely they won't be able to find a better club who wants them? Although if I was a Portsmouth fan I would probably be saying I would be happy just to survive for this season. Also, like I said, even when their best players do leave, they can replace them with loans from Premiership sides. They've also got some decent youngsters haven't they? (Joel Ward, Gael Nlundulu etc)[/quote']

They aren't a better club though any more, Mokoena should join a Premiership team, for the likes of Tommy Smith, Dave Nugent or John Utaka get a chance to move to say someone like Barnsley/Watford the they probably will do.

All the youngsters are up for sale though, they have there price and all can be sold, i can't see say Gael Nlundulu doing a decent job next year.

They aren't a better club though any more' date=' Mokoena should join a Premiership team, for the likes of Tommy Smith, Dave Nugent or John Utaka get a chance to move to say someone like Barnsley/Watford the they probably will do.

All the youngsters are up for sale though, they have there price and all can be sold, i can't see say Gael Nlundulu doing a decent job next year.[/quote']

Portsmouth will be planning for a future without Utaka, Rangers and Blackburn are interested in him, and he'd start at either.

Guest Scout Maker

They aren't a better club though any more' date=' Mokoena should join a Premiership team, for the likes of Tommy Smith, Dave Nugent or John Utaka get a chance to move to say someone like Barnsley/Watford the they probably will do.

All the youngsters are up for sale though, they have there price and all can be sold, i can't see say Gael Nlundulu doing a decent job next year.[/quote']

Smith, Utaka and Nugent all don't look out of place in the Premier League and if I was Iain Holloway I'd be chasing them instead of Francis Jeffers and Rob Hulse.

Nugent should take a look at this thread on the Crystal Palace forums, 351 Pages about him and he hasn't ever joined us :P

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134764&highlight=macken