Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Portsmouth will be planning for a future without Utaka' date=' Rangers and Blackburn are interested in him, and he'd start at either.[/quote']

Yes, this is the situation with a lot of the Portsmouth players. If things go as they should (all there players are sold and they sign poor freebies) they should go down in a competitve divison.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

Smith' date=' Utaka and Nugent all don't look out of place in the Premier League and if I was Iain Holloway I'd be chasing them instead of Francis Jeffers and Rob Hulse.

Nugent should take a look at this thread on the Crystal Palace forums, 351 Pages about him and he hasn't ever joined us :P

[url']http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134764&highlight=macken[/url]

Blackpool can't afford those wage demands B) They couldn't afford whatever John Stead was asking for so someone like Rob Hulse would be a bit of a luxury signing.

They probably can't afford the fee's, they'll look for about 1 million for those three players and that's a fee that Blackpool can't afford.

Preston have signed Darel Russell on a free.

Great signing imo, we've been tracking him for a while now and then when he finally came free, Leeds stuck their noses in and attempted to steal him, but we got him. Now we have some back-up for Matt James and Paul Coutts, and may not have to rely on the exiled Chaplow (no 35) and Carter (no 41)

Guest Scout Maker

Blackpool can't afford those wage demands B) They couldn't afford whatever John Stead was asking for so someone like Rob Hulse would be a bit of a luxury signing.

They probably can't afford the fee's' date=' they'll look for about 1 million for those three players and that's a fee that Blackpool can't afford.[/quote']

Surely Blackpool will spend all if not most of the money they got when they got promoted on transfers? If not how can they hope to survive? Palace were in a worse finaltial situation when we got promoted in 2004/2005 but we still managed 3-4 transfers over £1M.

Surely Blackpool will spend all if not most of the money they got when they got promoted on transfers? If not how can they hope to survive? Palace were in a worse finaltial situation when we got promoted in 2004/2005 but we still managed 3-4 transfers over £1M.

Most clubs which do that get relegated and dont get anywhere near promotion the following season. Watford are one of those clubs. West Brom never spend more than they earn, and that may be the cause of their yo-yo status, but at least they yo-yo, rather than reach the top and plummet through the leagues.

Guest Scout Maker

Most clubs which do that get relegated and dont get anywhere near promotion the following season. Watford are one of those clubs. West Brom never spend more than they earn' date=' and that may be the cause of their yo-yo status, but at least they yo-yo, rather than reach the top and plummet through the leagues.[/quote']

But Blackpool are probably the weakest team that has gotten promoted over the past few seasons, they haven't even made one signing yet have they? And it's not as if any of the players they are looking at are going to keep them up, Francis Jeffers? I'd cry if Palace bought him. Rob Hulse? He's good but wether he'd be able to cut it in the Premier League and be the goalscorer Blackpool need to try and keep them afloat? I doubt it.

They wont survive that's the thing, they could either bring in some players which would go beyond there wage budget or they could keep there squad and hope for the best. The long term future of the club though has been secured with all the money they'll get from TV revenue etc... and when they come back down again they should have a slightly better squad if they bring in the likes of Francis Jeffers. It's not about being in a bad financial status, it's about just not being ready for the Premiership and if they brought the odd John Utaka/David Nugent then it is likely to add any resistance to what will be a downhill slip to the bottom of the table next season. Utaka and Nugent did nothing for Pompy & Burnley, Nugent earned Burnley three points over last season and didn't score any other goals whilst on a fair bit of wages. Utaka was invisible last season for Portsmouth, i've never rated him. I think Blackpool will just hope to keep onto Charlie Adam untill at least January.

Preston have signed Darel Russell on a free.

Great signing imo' date=' we've been tracking him for a while now and then when he finally came free, Leeds stuck their noses in and attempted to steal him, but we got him. Now we have some back-up for Matt James and Paul Coutts, and may not have to rely on the exiled Chaplow (no 35) and Carter (no 41)[/quote']

Well Dan Carter's joined Millwall on loan, if you didn't know that.

Guest Scout Maker

They wont survive that's the thing' date=' they could either bring in some players which would go beyond there wage budget or they could keep there squad and hope for the best. The long term future of the club though has been secured with all the money they'll get from TV revenue etc... and when they come back down again they should have a slightly better squad if they bring in the likes of Francis Jeffers. It's not about being in a bad financial status, it's about just not being ready for the Premiership and if they brought the odd John Utaka/David Nugent then it is likely to add any resistance to what will be a downhill slip to the bottom of the table next season. Utaka and Nugent did nothing for Pompy & Burnley, Nugent earned Burnley three points over last season and didn't score any other goals whilst on a fair bit of wages. Utaka was invisible last season for Portsmouth, i've never rated him. I think Blackpool will just hope to keep onto Charlie Adam untill at least January.[/quote']

I guess your right, as James just said, it's better to be a Yo-Yo team than do what some teams do, get promoted spend a ton of cash and then if you get relegated all your best players leave and your stuck with hardly any cash and your left with a Mid-Table Championship team. I doubt Nugent would cost that much to take on board, what did Blackpool get when they got promoted £30M which could rise to £60M over the next few years. I mean he's not going to score them 15+ goals a season but it's better than challenging Mid-Low Table Championship clubs for players such as Francis Jeffers who are fighting for their place for a League 1 club.

I guess your right' date=' as James just said, it's better to be a Yo-Yo team than do what some teams do, get promoted spend a ton of cash and then if you get relegated all your best players leave and your stuck with hardly any cash and your left with a Mid-Table Championship team. I doubt Nugent would cost that much to take on board, what did Blackpool get when they got promoted £30M which could rise to £60M over the next few years. I mean he's not going to score them 15+ goals a season but it's better than challenging Mid-Low Table Championship clubs for players such as Francis Jeffers who are fighting for their place for a League 1 club.[/quote']

But that is the ability of Blackpool though, they'd have found it very difficult to sign Jeffers before they went up. There not even going to be a yo-yo club though, there not at that quality, there going to go back to being an average Championship club and settle for that but they'll always have that cash when it's needed. With so many clubs going into transfer embargo's/administration there happy to have money.

Guest Scout Maker

But that is the ability of Blackpool though' date=' they'd have found it very difficult to sign Jeffers before they went up. There not even going to be a yo-yo club though, there not at that quality, there going to go back to being an average Championship club and settle for that but they'll always have that cash when it's needed. With so many clubs going into transfer embargo's/administration there happy to have money.[/quote']

With so many clubs going into Administration and Money problems, why not try to become Play-Off contenders in the Championship next season (Presuming they go down). They do have money to spend, I'm not saying spend it all the £30M on two-three players, just spend it wisely, like Burnley. They had not been promoted for a few years (It could have been their first time in the Premier League, I don't know,) they signed Fletcher who scored them a few goals and they weren't that far away from staying up, now they've sold Fletcher for more than they bought him for and they are contenders to win the Championship. That's not the point about Jeffers though, he's terrible, why be after players like him? I wasn't making a financial point there, it's just he's not Championship standard, he couldn't find a place last season in a now League 1 side.

Well Dan Carter's joined Millwall on loan' date=' if you didn't know that.[/quote']

Didnt know that, knew that he was on trial at Southampton, he obviously was asking too much in wages.

I guess your right' date=' as James just said, it's better to be a Yo-Yo team than do what some teams do, get promoted spend a ton of cash and then if you get relegated all your best players leave and your stuck with hardly any cash and your left with a Mid-Table Championship team. I doubt Nugent would cost that much to take on board, what did Blackpool get when they got promoted £30M which could rise to £60M over the next few years. I mean he's not going to score them 15+ goals a season but it's better than challenging Mid-Low Table Championship clubs for players such as Francis Jeffers who are fighting for their place for a League 1 club.[/quote']

Nugent is very greedy, we did enquire over getting him back on loan but he was asking too much in wages and Portsmouth refused to pay a percentage of his wages for the duration of the loan.

With so many clubs going into Administration and Money problems' date=' why not try to become Play-Off contenders in the Championship next season (Presuming they go down). They do have money to spend, I'm not saying spend it all the £30M on two-three players, just spend it wisely, like Burnley. They had not been promoted for a few years (It could have been their first time in the Premier League, I don't know,) they signed Fletcher who scored them a few goals and they weren't that far away from staying up, now they've sold Fletcher for more than they bought him for and they are contenders to win the Championship. That's not the point about Jeffers though, he's terrible, why be after players like him? I wasn't making a financial point there, it's just he's not Championship standard, he couldn't find a place last season in a now League 1 side.[/quote']

The thing is though they can't, the long term future of the club would suggest that they can't afford to give wages to players over 10k/w. They have money to spend, but they can't buy players over there wage budget as believe it or not it would affect there long term future and if they went down (which looks more then likely) then they'd probably have to get rid of them. That's why there looking for loan deals for the season so that when they go back down to the Championship then they don't have to keep on paying there wages. If they signed someone like Nugent then that'd be it, they wouldn't beable to bring in any more players because someone like Nugent would demand x2-x2.5 of Blacpool's maximum wage budget. I don't think Jeffers would be a good signing, but they can't afford anybody else.

I know for a fact that, initially at least, Holloway was only letting Jeffers train with the team to keep up with his fitness. Whether or not he's caught Holloway's eye and they are now seriously considering paying him a wage is up for debate, but I know better than anyone else - it will be a waste of their time and money if they do. For a start, Jeffers is far too injury-prone to even consider signing, whether you are Blackpool or Boston - you won't even get 15 games out of him in a season. His attitude stinks - his reckless and foolish headbutt in a game against Port Vale last season single-handedly knocked us out of the Carling Cup. It's clear that he does have some quality, and you can spot that in the runs that he makes off the ball - he has a good footballing brain. However, he isn't strong enough for any English league in my opinion, and despite his "fox in the box" tag, he has an awful record at scoring goals - he has never scored more than 7 league goals in a single season since breaking through as a teenager for Everton. If Holloway goes ahead and signs Jeffers - which I don't think he will do -, he shall rue the day that he did (unless he offers a pay-as-you-play contract).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm thoroughly impressed with the attitude of the Blackpool chairman. He is intent on improving the infrastructure of the club that will aid the club in later years, and not necessarily concerned with the prospect of automatic relegation.

Anyway, quite what this debate has to do with the Championship, I'm not sure....

Pompey have signed Jamie Ashdown and Stephen Jordan under special dispensation from the Football League. They've used up their three transfers issued to them by the Football League (Sonko, Jordan and Ashdown) They now arent allowed anymore players, and I was reading somewhere that under the terms of their administration they can only have a maximum of 20 players.I make that 15 (?)

Ashdown, O'Brien

Mokoena, Wilson, Sonko, Jordan

Ritchie, Mullins, Brown, Hughes, Boateng

Utaka, Nugent, Smith, Webber

I dont think they can re-sign Kanu now.

Guest Scout Maker

The thing is though they can't' date=' the long term future of the club would suggest that they can't afford to give wages to players over 10k/w. They have money to spend, but they can't buy players over there wage budget as believe it or not it would affect there long term future and if they went down (which looks more then likely) then they'd probably have to get rid of them. That's why there looking for loan deals for the season so that when they go back down to the Championship then they don't have to keep on paying there wages. If they signed someone like Nugent then that'd be it, they wouldn't beable to bring in any more players because someone like Nugent would demand x2-x2.5 of Blacpool's maximum wage budget. I don't think Jeffers would be a good signing, but they can't afford anybody else.[/quote']

Well considering Holloway would be preparing for life in the Championship next season, the Blackpool Chairman isn't doing a great job on preparing. It will be much more harder to buy players next season than it is this season, he should be looking at players such as Peter Whittingham and he should have really bought George Boyd, they are very good players in the Championship and they wouldn't be out of place in the Premier League. They get £30M so that they can bring in Players, if he wants to be a Yo-Yo club rather than sign 2-3 players for £2.5M it's his decision but I doubt no Good Championship/Low Premier League players wouldn't join Blackpool next season if they get Relegated. A huge Majority of Championship players earn less than £10,000 a month, Holloway could surely tempt some of them into a move to Blackpool.

Well considering Holloway would be preparing for life in the Championship next season' date=' the Blackpool Chairman isn't doing a great job on preparing. It will be much more harder to buy players next season than it is this season, he should be looking at players such as Peter Whittingham and he should have really bought George Boyd, they are very good players in the Championship and they wouldn't be out of place in the Premier League. They get £30M so that they can bring in Players, if he wants to be a Yo-Yo club rather than sign 2-3 players for £2.5M it's his decision but I doubt no Good Championship/Low Premier League players wouldn't join Blackpool next season if they get Relegated. A huge Majority of Championship players earn less than £10,000 a month, Holloway could surely tempt some of them into a move to Blackpool.[/quote']

Whittingham wouldn't join Blackpool it's just a step down, for this season it's good for him a chance to play against the very best, but when they came back down then he'd be taking a step down. He'd rather join someone like Notts. Forest.

Angel Rangel/Rob Hulse are the best possible players that will join permanently, then can hope for a good loan signing aswell.

In terms of news of Swansea, if any championship side thought they might get Scott Sinclair on loan they can forget it. Chelsea want to sell him, rather then loan him out and apparanty Swansea have bid 1.1 million, pretty much half of the clubs finances.

It wouldn't be an out of hand buy, it's just what we've got for Scotland really and what's left over from what we spent on Beattie. I'm not too sure he could play regularly though, and we definatly don't need a winger. We've got three wingers that could play throughout the season so we really don't want to bring in another one. At the very least it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker of somewhat.

Whittingham wouldn't join Blackpool it's just a step down' date=' for this season it's good for him a chance to play against the very best, but when they came back down then he'd be taking a step down. He'd rather join someone like Notts. Forest.

Angel Rangel/Rob Hulse are the best possible players that will join permanently, then can hope for a good loan signing aswell.

In terms of news of Swansea, if any championship side thought they might get Scott Sinclair on loan they can forget it. Chelsea want to sell him, rather then loan him out and apparanty Swansea have bid 1.1 million, pretty much half of the clubs finances.

It wouldn't be an out of hand buy, it's just what we've got for Scotland really and what's left over from what we spent on Beattie. I'm not too sure he could play regularly though, and we definatly don't need a winger. We've got three wingers that could play throughout the season so we really don't want to bring in another one. At the very least it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker of somewhat.[/quote']

One good season to prove himself at Premiership level, then the offers would come flooding in. He's shown that he's better than the Championship, Wittingham could use Blackpool as a stepping stone to a mid-table Premiership club, such as Everton, Fulham etc. Blackpool would make a few million from him and have a quality player for a season.

Whittingham wouldn't join Blackpool it's just a step down' date=' for this season it's good for him a chance to play against the very best, but when they came back down then he'd be taking a step down. He'd rather join someone like Notts. Forest.

It wouldn't be an out of hand buy, it's just what we've got for Scotland really and what's left over from what we spent on Beattie. I'm not too sure he could play regularly though, and we definatly don't need a winger. We've got three wingers that could play throughout the season so we really don't want to bring in another one. At the very least it shows were willing to spend a lot of money on a striker of somewhat.[/quote']

Is Moutaouakil a possible replacement for Rangel? Moutaouakil joined Charlton when they were in the Prem.

EDIT: Also if the worst happens and Portsmouth are liquidated tomorrow, what happens as regards Championship fixtures, seeing as no games have been played. I remember someone last season were forced out of business (somewhere in the basement leagues) and everyone's results against them were voided. Does every club get 3 points from the 'game' against Portsmouth?

Is Moutaouakil a possible replacement for Rangel? Moutaouakil joined Charlton when they were in the Prem.

No, not at all. If were going to sell Rangel, for a fee demanded at 1 million. We'd spent at least half of that on a right-back.

He's only on trial, and he's far from signed. We need a versatile defender regardless and he might be that, but Blackpool aren't willing to meet Swansea's demands for Rangel.

But he was poor last year anyway, wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world, he would be taking a step down if he joined Blackpool unless he manages to get Swansea to take him back afterwards.

Players who leave Swansea always seem to regret it and he would almost certainly join that list.

One good season to prove himself at Premiership level' date=' then the offers would come flooding in. He's shown that he's better than the Championship, Wittingham could use Blackpool as a stepping stone to a mid-table Premiership club, such as Everton, Fulham etc. Blackpool would make a few million from him and have a quality player for a season.[/quote']

It'd be great for Blackpool, but they couldn't attract that sort of player and i feel they wouldn't beable to compete with a club like Forest.

Cardiff have seemed to have all but signed Jason Koumas on loan, even though there in an embargo. So that basically leaves Whittingham free to go to Forest.

Whilst one player who wont go to Forest is Darren Pratley, set to put pen to paper for a contract at Swansea untill 2013 LEGEND :D

Koumas has joined Cardiff on loan from Wigan' date=' and Preston's Danny Mayor and Adam Barton (both 19) have signed three year deals. Mayor is probably going to start due to Paul Parry's ongoing tendonitis.[/quote']

Whittingham has to go now, i think there on 20 players. So they now have to sell a player to bring in Koumas. As there in a transfer embargo!!! Otherwise they wont beable to bring in another player.

Whittingham has to go now' date=' i think there on 20 players. So they now have to sell a player to bring in Koumas. As there in a transfer embargo!!! Otherwise they wont beable to bring in another player.[/quote']

Would love to have Wittingham back. Nuneaton lad, from the Cov academy, plus we have a history of re-signings lately (Colin Hawkins, McSheffrey, O'Donovan, Carsley), but we can all dream. :o:)

His attitude stinks - his reckless and foolish headbutt in a game against Port Vale last season single-handedly knocked us out of the Carling Cup.

from i personal experience about 5-6 years ago i'd like to agree that jeffers is an absolute prat - thinks he's a bigshot like marlon king