Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

City will probably line up like this:

Super Keiren Westwood

The Unknown Richard Keogh --- The Rock James McPake --- The Brick Richard Wood --- The Amazing Martin Cranie

The Flash Carl Baker --- The Dome Lee Carsley --- The Klingon Sammy Clingan --- The Local Gary McSheffrey

The Gypsy Freddy Eastwood --- The Jukebox Lukas Jutkiewicz

:D

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

City will probably line up like this:

Super Keiren Westwood

The Unknown Richard Keogh --- The Rock James McPake --- The Brick Richard Wood --- The Amazing Martin Cranie

The Flash Carl Baker --- The Dome Lee Carsley --- The Klingon Sammy Clingan --- The Local Gary McSheffrey

The Gypsy Freddy Eastwood --- The Jukebox Lukas Jutkiewicz

:D

And end up getting washed up 4-1 by the skates. :mad:

Not sure how Preston will line-up on Saturday, so many changes made since last year.

Definitely Lonergan in goal. Back four of Jones, St Ledger, Wayne Brown and Davidson. Midfield of Parry/Mayor, James, Coutts/Russell and Treacy. Forward line of Brown and Hayes.

In need of a pacy striker before the season starts. We've got an unknown Congolese striker called Patrick Dimbala on trial and he scored twice in the reserves win, but he'll be ineligible on Saturday. Would have liked Welbeck back but he looks set for Sunderland.

"That says it all"? So a striker has an impact on how many goals Leeds concede? Maybe the Defence and keeper had decent games? Not underrated at all' date=' got a few headers in, hoofed a few balls into row Z. Was worse than Capaldi.[/quote']

I think Seftinho was pointing out he only scored 1 goal in 10 games. :o

What do you's think of Doncaster's chances of going up? It would be even more remarkable than Blackpool's story if they did.

I wouldn't bet against it. They play the best football in the division and they have the best manager as well (in my opinion). Plus, I'm pleased they've signed Sharp permanently because he will guarentee them 20-25 goals if he stays injury-free.

What do you's think of Doncaster's chances of going up? It would be even more remarkable than Blackpool's story if they did.

Not sure, I could see them finishing in the bottom half. Small squad and the only players which attract my attention are Stock and Sharp. Im going this weekend to watch Preston play them, so I'll take a look at them then.

I wouldn't bet against it. They play the best football in the division and they have the best manager as well (in my opinion). Plus' date=' I'm pleased they've signed Sharp permanently because he will guarentee them 20-25 goals if he stays injury-free.[/quote']

I agree with the bold bit, and, while I would disagree on the O'Driscoll bit, he is very good and more than capable of taking them up. I'd personally say Strachan was the best manager, followed by Warnock and Davies.

20-25? I know he's a very good goalscorer but I don't think he's going to get that many at Championship level. I don't think he is better than Maynard and he managed 20. Sharp might get more than 20 at L1 level but not Championship level. Still, if he gets the service, I wouldn't rule it out because, as I said, he is a great finisher.

I agree with the bold bit' date=' and, while I would disagree on the O'Driscoll bit, he is very good and more than capable of taking them up. I'd personally say Strachan was the best manager, followed by Warnock and Davies.[/quote']

But O'Driscoll has got a bunch of average players from all over the shop to play the best football in the division (apart from West Brom, who are no longer in the league). I'm not joking here - Doncaster play fantastic stuff. They've beaten us the last two times they've come to Hillsborough and it's been an absolute joy to watch. And all the while, O'Driscoll's done this on a relative shoe-string budget. In many ways, he's the closest thing to Brian Clough today.

20-25? I know he's a very good goalscorer but I don't think he's going to get that many at Championship level. I don't think he is better than Maynard and he managed 20. Sharp might get more than 20 at L1 level but not Championship level. Still' date=' if he gets the service, I wouldn't rule it out because, as I said, he is a great finisher.[/quote']

15 goals in 32 starts in the Championship last season; what makes you think he won't get 20+ in 46 starts? Sharp is the ideal striker for a team like Doncaster. He plays off the last man and just finishes off the beautiful interplay. It's a match made in heaven, in a complete contrast to when he was at United.

But O'Driscoll has got a bunch of average players from all over the shop to play the best football in the division (apart from West Brom' date=' who are no longer in the league). I'm not joking here - Doncaster play fantastic stuff. They've beaten us the last two times they've come to Hillsborough and it's been an absolute joy to watch. And all the while, O'Driscoll's done this on a relative shoe-string budget. In many ways, he's the closest thing to Brian Clough today.

15 goals in 32 starts in the Championship last season; what makes you think he won't get 20+ in 46 starts? Sharp is the ideal striker for a team like Doncaster. He plays off the last man and just finishes off the beautiful interplay. It's a match made in heaven, in a complete contrast to when he was at United.[/quote']

Well, it's not that I don't believe it is within his capabilities to get over 20 goals, but, I just think there will be times when Doncaster are having bad spells and he will drift out a little bit. 20/21 goals I could realisticlly see maybe, but not towards the 25 mark. And, I'm not too sure whether he'll play all 46 games, if he does, then yes, maybe he can get that many, but I think 20 is a more realistic expectation than 25.

As for the Clough part, I don't really think anybody in this era should or could be compared to Clough. Quite a few managers have operated very successfully on small budgets, and I respect those managers, but, to consider them anything like Clough in my opinion is another matter altogether.

Well' date=' it's not that I don't believe it is within his capabilities to get over 20 goals, but, I just think there will be times when Doncaster are having bad spells and he will drift out a little bit. 20/21 goals I could realisticlly see maybe, but not towards the 25 mark. And, I'm not too sure whether he'll play all 46 games, if he does, then yes, maybe he can get that many, but I think 20 is a more realistic expectation than 25.

As for the Clough part, I don't really think anybody in this era should or could be compared to Clough. Quite a few managers have operated very successfully on small budgets, and I respect those managers, but, to consider them anything like Clough in my opinion is another matter altogether.[/quote']

I'll be the first to admit: nobody has ever got close to the achievements made by Clough, and nobody ever will. I'm not even saying O'Driscoll is anywhere near Clough as a manager - I just said he's the closest. Who else gets average players to play such fantastic football, just like Clough used to do? Answer: nobody.

(In the top two divisions, at least.)

But O'Driscoll has got a bunch of average players from all over the shop to play the best football in the division (apart from West Brom' date=' who are no longer in the league). I'm not joking here - Doncaster play fantastic stuff. They've beaten us the last two times they've come to Hillsborough and it's been an absolute joy to watch. And all the while, O'Driscoll's done this on a relative shoe-string budget. In many ways, he's the closest thing to Brian Clough today.

No offence Andy but tbh I think you're overhyping Doncaster a bit. I saw them play twice last season, home and away, and both games were shockers. A lot of the time they just sat back and tried to hit us on the counter-attack, very similar to Cardiff really. Scores were 0-0 and 0-1 surprisingly.

Billy Davies? nah, sooner or later he'll get his knickers in a twist of transfers. not putting up the money to buy ronaldinho etc.

Billy Sharp is a good championship striker and im a little annoyed we didnt try and snap him up ourselves.

Donny do play some good stuff but believe it or not Shorpe played some beautiful stuff against us home and away last season so i would say a mid table finish for Donny this season.

Itching for the season to start now so we can see if Nigels bargain buys are quite ready for this season or if they need another year.

Nobody should soil the name of Brian Clough by putting a name of the current crop in the same sentence as him.

Well Vokes is not Michael Owen. He just doesn't have the pace' date=' Owen's a completely different player. He is probably faster then Vokes anyway, it's just he's not fast in comparison to the rest of the Premier League.

Vokes shouldn't make it above League 1 level in the future, all could change though - he's only young.[/quote']

My point stands - you do not NEED pace to play in the Championship, that statement is just absurd.

"That says it all"? So a striker has an impact on how many goals Leeds concede? Maybe the Defence and keeper had decent games? Not underrated at all' date=' got a few headers in, hoofed a few balls into row Z. Was worse than Capaldi.[/quote']

I was referring to the 1 in 10 goal record with that comment actually, he's not clinical enough.

But the support striker has an impact on how many goals we score. And we scored a bloody lot in his time here. His goal record was abysmal, but the fact that our best scoring spell was when he was playing tells you all you need to know. Or it should, clearly you have an agenda against him. But worse than Capaldi? Laughable. He's a good player.

I agree with the bold bit' date=' and, while I would disagree on the O'Driscoll bit, he is very good and more than capable of taking them up. I'd personally say Strachan was the best manager, followed by Warnock and Davies.

20-25? I know he's a very good goalscorer but I don't think he's going to get that many at Championship level. I don't think he is better than Maynard and he managed 20. Sharp might get more than 20 at L1 level but not Championship level. Still, if he gets the service, I wouldn't rule it out because, as I said, he is a great finisher.[/quote']

The same Strachan who took 'Boro from 3rd to mid-table with one of the best teams in the division? 'Boro have by far the best team in the division, but I think the one thing that could prevent them from winning this league is him.

20-25, most certainly. He scored 15 goals in 33 games last season, which is a goal record of 0.45 goals per game. In 46 games, that's 21 goals. Baring in mind that last season was an odd year in terms of top goalscorers, you'd usually expect much more than one player hitting the 20 mark. I'd be surprised if Sharp didn't hit 20, if, as Andy says, he stays injury free.

As for Donny, I could see them being the surprise package and making the play-offs, equally I could see them fighting relegation. They've very much gone under the radar this summer, so it will be interesting to see how they fare. But the same could be said for almost any club, apart from the obvious ones like Boro, Shorpe, perhaps Watford. The league is so close this year, it's almost impossible to predict.

Guest Scout Maker

We'll almost certainly line-up:

We were linked with a £1m bid for him as well. Definitely not worth that amount. He's another of those players with pace and nothing else. Too lightweight as well. I don't think he'll ever make it above Championship level.

Sorry, don't agree with this. Sinclair and Victor Moses are the only players I've seen in the Championship who whenever they get the ball, they go past 2-3 players and almost everytime they get the ball create a chance or get the ball into a dangerous situation. There could be more players like the above playing in the Championship but if there is the number is probably around 3/4. And that was him three seasons ago, he's probably matured much more from playing in the Premeir League. I saw him play for Chelsea one or two weeks ago against Palace in a Pre-Season friendly, it was so fustrating as every time he got the ball he either won a free kick or created a chance. He played a huge part in our 2007 Play-Off march.

Guest Scout Maker

George Burley has confirmed we have signed Nottingham Forest's Julian Bennett on a 6 month loan. I'm not sure about this, he's been out injured for ages and according to Forest fans the injury affected him alot and he's never been the same player since, but in Burley we trust.

We are also set to complete the signing of Stuart O'Keefe from Southend, he's a talented 19 Year Old who can play either on the wing or down the middle, we've got him for a good price too because of the financial situation Southend are in.

There is some bad news though, it looks like we won't be able to play either Garvan or all of our new signings until next week, this isn't terrible news as it gives our youngsters a chance but I feel we need our New Signings to play together as quickly as possible as we need the team to gel together quickly.

I wouldn't bet against it. They play the best football in the division and they have the best manager as well (in my opinion). Plus' date=' I'm pleased they've signed Sharp permanently because he will guarentee them 20-25 goals if he stays injury-free.[/quote']

Not too sure about the bit in bold :)

Guest JackWWFC

1 goal in 10 apps in League 1 for a team scoring left' date=' right and centre. He might reach double figures, far, far from guaranteed though.

[/quote']

You obviously know nothing about him then, he was not fit when he joined Weeds on loan, we sent him there to get fit, he hadn't played in ages. You had him for 10 games, your judgement of him isn't as vast as mine, I've seen him for a couple of seasons in the games he has played, he has done well for us.

He's 19 too.

You obviously know nothing about him then' date=' he was not fit when he joined Weeds on loan, we sent him there to get fit, he hadn't played in ages. You had him for 10 games, your judgement of him isn't as vast as mine, I've seen him for a couple of seasons in the games he has played, he has done well for us.

He's 19 too.[/quote']

Sorry to dissapoint, he's 20 - almost 21.

I think he'll push Haynes for a regular place in the starting line-up, better then Ched Evans so he's not far off a place in the Wales side either.

I doubt he'll score more then 5 or 6 goals this season though for a side like Bristol City.

I had previously put Nottingham Forest as my predicted title winners but I was expecting some additions like Whittingham, Pratley and Shorey but they have not come fruition. I think Middlesbrough have made the best signings this summer so I would put them first with Burnley in second.