Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

Really hoping for a good season. I feel so cool being able to post on this thread :D

I can't remember the name of the young Manchester City bloke we just signed on a months loan. Does anyone know if he is any good? Apparently he was decent for Carlisle last season.

Can't say I was particularly excited when I saw this' date=' but after looking at Carlisle reports and re-watching the JPT games, I think it's quite a coup actually. All the Carlisle fans think he was a class above last season, and much too good for them or at that level. He's very energetic, gets stuck in, great on the ball. We do need another centre-mid, especially if playing 4-5-1. With Hughes and Hatfield who can play there, I think we have enough cover now.

It's only a month's loan because the club wanted to get him in before Derby. Expect it to be extended to a season-long loan with the next couple of weeks. Carlisle apparently had a bid accepted as well, and he's 20 now so he's never going to make it at Man City. If he does well he could very well sign permanently. I think it's a good piece of business.

Oh, he's a centre-mid. Not a winger, we have Watt out there to cover for the injuries. Sam, Watt and White are all available, Gradel and Snoddy should be back next month.

RE: Simpson - would we really spend £1.3m on a player? Really? We couldn't compete with Doncaster for Billy Sharp who went for £1.1m. I can't see it, probably just a case of the agent pretending we're interested to up the interest in this player, ala Bogdanovic.

If we do get him then, then fair play to Bates. But I really can't see it. I reckon he'll go back to QPR after spending the season their last season, and it's local too.

Everyone fit the team will probably be:

--------------------------Jones-----------------------

Hoyte/Williams--Wheater--McManus--Bates/Taylor

Flood/Kink-------Thomson--Robson----------Bailey

--------------------McDonald--Boyd-----------------

Add to that Lita who was in really good form pre-season. Steele, who is our #2 and will be challenging this season. Franks, pacey winnger. Luke Williams, 17 year old who was exceptional at the back end of last season for us and then Halliday, young left winger brought in from Livingston who has a glowing reputation.

Brad Jones could be on his way to Liverpool. 'Boro turned down the bid but if Liverpool want him, I expect they'll get him sooner rather than later.

Would that mean that Steele gets his chance? I remember watching him a couple of years ago for the England U19's (he played one half, David Button who played for Plymouth earlier played the other) and he was very impressive. Or will 'Boro continue to spend spend spend and buy a new replacement? McGregor and Speroni are being linked.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread will contain extensive coverage of the upcoming Coca-Cola Championship 2009/10 season. Team-by-team analysis, fixtures and results, squad statistics and the hottest talent rising out of th

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season Robbie Savage: The Tribute On the 7th of May 2011, Robbie Savage will run out onto the Madejski Stadium in what will be his last game of his caree

ive just heard on a derby board that lawro and the boys where being extremely biased towards Leeds earlier and said that Robbie Savages name was just right for him.

He might be a colourful character but a savage he is not. I wish someone would replace Lawro. He brings the team down with his rediculous accent.

ive just heard on a derby board that lawro and the boys where being extremely biased towards Leeds earlier and said that Robbie Savages name was just right for him.

He might be a colourful character but a savage he is not. I wish someone would replace Lawro. He brings the team down with his rediculous accent.

Are you talking about Mark Lawrenson? If so, where has this stuff been said?

Just got back from an excellent game at the Ricoh. 2-0, Eastwood with both and you get the impression that Portsmouth are beginning to crack on the outside now as well as the inside. It's ashame to see a club go that way, it nearly happened to Coventry so i know the feeling but i'll take the win. We looked impressive, played a great tactical game and fully deserved the 3-points :D

After a very open start to the match, it quietened down towards the end of the half.

I'm not too disheartened by that. We don't deserve to be 2-1 down, I've not a clue how Naylor missed his chance and Johnson hit the bar as well. And I still can't work out how that was a penalty. Sam came across him and took the ball. He took the player too, yes, but it was a fair tackle. Poor decision.

We look quite good going forward, but our defense is terrible. Not so much Connolly and Bessone, but the central duo. Naylor is just too slow and Collins has been poor. I've not a clue why Bruce isn't playing. But our two centre-backs are being caught out time and time again and Schmeichel has had to bail them out on a couple of occasions already because they're so slow. We also seem unable to deal with Commons and Green. They're sitting between our defense and our midfield and no-one seems to know who's meant to be marking them.

I'm very impressed with Sanchez Watt, Howson and Sam have done well too. All in all, we've looked good so far. Just too slow defensively and a poor penalty decision is why we're losing. Our defense looks so fragile. But then again, that is to be expected when it is a completely new back five. I think it'll take a while before they start to settle, so a few early season defeats are to be expected.

Yeah lawrenson was all over Leeds like a rash apparently. Its not a problem but with Sky sports going off freeview im gonna have to listen to this plonker when i cant make it to the games. On the bbc i think.

Erm, did you not watch the match? I've not a clue where you heard this. Lawrenson hates us and he mentioned nothing bad about Savage.

Edit to say I'm not a fan of Lawrenson but I've not a clue what you're talking about?

Schmeichel has been brilliant! He looks slightly edgy in the opening couple of minutes, but since then he's been great. The games been very end to end, very eventful, shall be routing for Leeds this season, been routing for them over the past two season's.

Leeds certainly deserved more, but we're unlucky to hit the bar twice. The penalty decision was a 50/50, Sam got a tiny tiny touch on the ball but got the man too, i think the referee only saw him get the man, but the ball was touched by Sam.

We were desperately unlucky today, not helped by woeful refereeing. One of Schmeichel's saves Green was miles, absolute miles offside. How the assistant didn't see that is beyond me. Hit the crossbar twice, then one cleared off the line. A referee who seemed insistent on giving Derby everything he possibly could as well.

Fair play to Derby, nothing to be discouraged about for us. Considering we're missing our three best players in Kisnorbo, Snodgrass and Gradel, as well as Paynter's injury meaning we went into this game with one striker. A lot to look forward to this campaign, especially when Snoddy and "Grabble" return.

Our defending was awful though. Connolly was alright first half, had a shocking second half though. Bessone didn't do much wrong, didn't do much going forward either though. Collins and Naylor both shocking, and very slow. Bruce and Bromby HAVE to start against Forest, yet they probably won't because for some bizarre reason Naylor is still captain despite being by far our weakest link. Going forward we looked good, didn't offer too much goal threat though in the second half. Schmeichel had a blinder. Howson, Watt, Sam and White all played well. Kilkenny and Johnson had mixed games. Becchio didn't too much, didn't help when he kept on getting penalised for doing absolutely nothing, yet when he was being pulled down it was completely ignored. Clayton was poor when he came on, although he gets a bit of slack considering he only arrived yesterday.

I think that when Snodgrass and Gradel return, and our brand new defense starts to learn each other's games, we'll be a threat in this division.

Edit to say: And we're still as poor as ever at defending set pieces. Almost every one Derby got they nearly scored from. Luckily this season we have a more reliable 'keeper from crosses, which was Ankergren's biggest weakness. But we seem unable to track players from set pieces, and unable to win the ball when it arrives. This was the case all of last season and it seems that it still hasn't been rectified. A worry.

Lawrenson has to be the worst commentator of the bunch.

I think that was a penalty tbh. Sam came in very rash and got what he was asking for.

It seemed to me as though we were in charge of our destiny. The equaliser came from a Savage blunder and a cheeky through ball which is collected 9/10 times.

We looked great going forward with Green and Commons. If Barker had of been on from the start id have fancied a clean sheet as he organises the defence so well.

We controlled the midfield until we began to sit back which i never understand why we do that.

Leeds had pressure at times and toward the end of the game but we coped very well.

On the whole we were the better team and it could have been alot worse for Leeds had they not had an in form Kasper in net.

We soaked up the pressure and passed it through Leeds many times which was a nice sight to see.

Was a little disapointed with Leeds willingness to lump the ball forward although it did create chances for their pacey wingers.

If your not sick of connolly yet then come christmas you'll wish you'd never signed him.

I dont think the ref was bias at all.

The worst decision of the game came against Robbie Sav when he got his yellow for winning the ball.

I think there is alot more to come from our young side. If we can be more clinical we can put teams to the sword.

Lets not forget we are also missing Miles Addison, Stephen Pearson and Steve Davies.

Miles and pearo would have almost certainly been in the side with Steve Davies having the possibility of starting.

Alot of the chances Leeds saw in the first half under normal circumstances would have been cut out by Barker. He is far and wide our best player.

Was a little disapointed with Leeds willingness to lump the ball forward although it did create chances for their pacey wingers.

That's a result of having Naylor in defense. He's still learning how to pass on the ground.

Alot of the chances Leeds saw in the first half under normal circumstances would have been cut out by Barker. He is far and wide our best player.

Same could be said of us if Kisnorbo was fit.

I think that was a penalty tbh. Sam came in very rash and got what he was asking for.

Sam slid in to win the ball which he did effectively. It wasn't rash' date=' it was a fair tackle and the referee was quick to give a penalty. The refereeing was woeful, and that was both ways. I agree Savage should never have been booked, but every single 50/50 decision and niggle went your way. Becchio was unfairly penalised way too many times and I'm still trying to work out why some of those free-kicks were given, as well as the corner when Bessone stopped it on the line.

On the whole we were the better team and it could have been alot worse for Leeds had they not had an in form Kasper in net.

I disagree, naturally. It was a close game. Kasper made one great double saves for us (the other great save Green was miles, miles offside), Bywater made a couple at the other end. We hit the bar, twice, had one cleared off the line. You had other chances. On another day it could been 5-1 to you, on another day again we could have won 4-1. It goes both ways.