Official Sky Bet Championship Thread

andyowls

Re: The Npower Championship 2010/11 Season

I was watching it from stream to stream online. As far as I could tell it was marginally offside' date=' at best, so I'd count yourselves unlucky. Our problem is that we had 5 new players in our starting 11 in Boyd, Bailey, Thomson, Bates (Not played in 14 months) and Steele and you could argue 7 as McManus was only on loan last season and Luke Williams has only started 1 game before today. Basically, our players are only starting to know each other. I thought we were going to get smashed after King hit the crossbar and tbh I don't know how you didn't win. Wheater and McManus are our center backs and probably our best players. McManus brings the best out of Wheater (who was in the England squad couple years ago) so no surprises they impressed. What did you think of Steele, our keeper? He's only 19 and will almost certainly be our number 1 for the coming season. I watched him on Tuesday and he impressed and today he impressed me as well, just wondering if I'm the only one.[/quote']

The blonde right winger had so much room in the 1st half it was unbelievable. I suppose that's the drawback of us playing two wingers and only one of them tracking back. Made the whole team look lopsided. McManus and Wheater dominated in the air, and that doesn't usually happen to us with Howard upfront. Personally I would have brought on Fryatt for Howard and kept everything on the floor.

I thought Steele had a solid game, made some good saves, kicking was fine, didn't make any errors as far as I could see. So you're not the only one :)

I was worried about Boyd every time he got the ball, but he didn't get much out of Hobbs and Moreno (new signing and looking like a quality player).

oh right good stuff. Do you have a welsh accent at all? That could have been funny when asking for your pie and chips. lol.

Give up the ghost studge, it was a stone waller. :)

so two games down and both of derbys games have been ones that could have gone either way. Looks like this season isnt going to do much for my nerves.

I have just read that the Football League have asked for proof that Cardiff can afford to pay Bellamy whatever percentage of his Man City wage after Motherwell kicked up a fuss. I personally think this is not because of this but the player Cardiff have signed. If the Football League thought there was a problem why allow them to sign Drinkwater, Heaton, Olofinjana and Koumas? Surely they should have been asked if they could afford to pay them too?

I can't understand at all why Sheffield United have sacked Blackwell. It's 2 games into the season, this sacking has bascially come off losing one game! One single game. And to potentially excellent opposition in QPR as well! If this was a mutual decision, it doesn't say much about Blackwell does it, if he wasn't that confident in his ability to turn it around and improve.

This is the same man who took them to the play off final two seasons ago.

I can't understand at all why Sheffield United have sacked Blackwell. It's 2 games into the season' date=' this sacking has bascially come off losing [b']one[/b] game! One single game. And to potentially excellent opposition in QPR as well! If this was a mutual decision, it doesn't say much about Blackwell does it, if he wasn't that confident in his ability to turn it around and improve.

I think it was a case of fan pressure. I read several forums and there was always fans who were against Blackwell with the way he had the team playing and players he signed. It isn't just because of the two games so far this season because there has always been discontent for the best part of last season.

I can't understand at all why Sheffield United have sacked Blackwell. It's 2 games into the season' date=' this sacking has bascially come off losing [b']one[/b] game! One single game. And to potentially excellent opposition in QPR as well! If this was a mutual decision, it doesn't say much about Blackwell does it, if he wasn't that confident in his ability to turn it around and improve.

Trust me, the majority of Blades in Sheffield are quite content that he's gone - even the ones who were okay with him in charge.

Because I feel that other teams are stronger than Reading. The end of last season was just a good streak and they wont perform so well this season.

But Reading are a good team who have a good strong attacking team with Siggurdsson and Church who can score and a good midfield I think they can do it.

Trust me' date=' the majority of Blades in Sheffield are quite content that he's gone - even the ones who were okay with him in charge.[/quote']

But, with regards to the board, if they weren't so happy with what he was doing, and they knew the fans weren't happy, before this season started (e.g last season) then why didn't they sack him at the end of last season and get a new manager in for pre-season of this season? Surely it would have made more sense and also could have been more beneficial to the team.

Pretty sure Blackwell tried to resign after they lost in the playoffs to Burnley, but the board rejcted it? So it's been coming for a while.

I can understand that. He was feeling annoyed/dissapointed with himself for not getting promoted having come so close and maybe felt he'd let the fans down. But that doesn't change the fact he did very well in getting them to the final.

I can understand that. He was feeling annoyed/dissapointed with himself for not getting promoted having come so close and maybe felt he'd let the fans down. But that doesn't change the fact he did very well in getting them to the final.

In most casess what fans think is exceedingly important. If they don't like the manager then he is unlikely to last long. Gary Megson for example did a good job for Bolton. Kept them up twice with a poorish squad but I can tell you 95% of the Bolton fans never liked him and would have happily accepted getting relegated than Megson as manager. Once majority of the fans don't like the manager (and this looks like such a situation) then the times up.

In most casess what fans think is exceedingly important. If they don't like the manager then he is unlikely to last long. Gary Megson for example did a good job for Bolton. Kept them up twice with a poorish squad but I can tell you 95% of the Bolton fans never liked him and would have happily accepted getting relegated than Megson as manager. Once majority of the fans don't like the manager (and this looks like such a situation) then the times up.

I understand the fans' voices with regards to the manager are very loud to a board, however, it doesn't work all the time. In Hughes' first season at City, aroind the Christmas period it seemed as if most/quite a lot of City fans wanted him out, but we stuck with him (and right so in my opinion). By the time he left, it did seem as if quite a number of City fans were unhappy with him going rather than happy, so the fans views aren't always that influential.

Your right about Megson, although he didn't help himself with the style of football he played.

I know I'm kind of late to the party but I'll just give my 5 cents.

Sheffield United 0-3 QPR

:D

Good showing by QPR' date=' I think the 3-0 scoreline was a combination of them playing well and us playing badly, our defence was sloppy but we still should be capable of defending against two players on the break when we have 4 back. They were good but we helped make them look better. You can simply brush this off as me being biased but we should've definitely had 1 penalty, arguably 2. The ref was fairly ****, got a few decisions wrong but the woman linesman was even worse.

and blackwell's been fired too!

Blackwell was not fired, McCabe and Birch were not happy after the game as some possible investors were there and after the game stormed into the dressing room as Blackwell was giving a full time talk. The club and Blackwell agreed to part company, but he would've been fired if he refused to go.

The wheels are falling off!

Not really.

Without going into detail the reasons for his departure are as follows:

The football is truly awful, his signings have not been successful, he has released the wrong players, he didn't sign the right players when we had chance to, he has no plan B when we are losing, lack of depth in the squad, hasn't sorted the squad out over the summer, he isn't particularly popular with the media and finally getting rid of Blackwell takes pressure from the fans away from the club and McCabe.

I think it was a case of fan pressure. I read several forums and there was always fans who were against Blackwell with the way he had the team playing and players he signed. It isn't just because of the two games so far this season because there has always been discontent for the best part of last season.

Sort of.

McCabe wants to try and remain popular with the fans hence the constant bullting and smokescreens to try hide the fact that he's putting no money into the club and expecting promotion. If getting shot of the manager will satisfy the angry fans who can't see through the smokescreens that's what he's going to do. It's not like him at all to go and rush into a decision like that' date=' I think it's a combination of things going on behind the scenes and pressure from the fans was the straw that broke the camel's back. Blackwell was convinced that McCabe had his back and I think that eventually the chairman bowed to the pressure just to get it off his back.

Trust me, the majority of Blades in Sheffield are quite content that he's gone - even the ones who were okay with him in charge.

The fans that wanted him out are just stupid, McCabe has been reducing the squad budget every year since the play off final from £12million to £6million you can't halve the wage bill, sell your best players, bring in sub standard replacements and expect to maintain consistency. The "BLACKWELL OUT" brigade are, like every club has the idiot fans who as soon as something goes wrong demand the managers head.

Pretty sure Blackwell tried to resign after they lost in the playoffs to Burnley' date=' but the board rejcted it? So it's been coming for a while.[/quote']

Blackwell wanted to leave saying he couldn't take the club any further but McCabe convinced him to give it another shot. Looks like he was right.

But' date=' with regards to the board, if they weren't so happy with what he was doing, and they knew the fans weren't happy, before this season started (e.g last season) then why didn't they sack him at the end of last season and get a new manager in for pre-season of this season? Surely it would have made more sense and also could have been more beneficial to the team.

[/quote']

Like I said earlier I think McCabe just bowed to the pressure whether it be from potential investors or the fans.

I wasn't particularly happy to see Blackwell go but I wasn't sad either. I think the style of football won't change just by sacking the manager but a change of tactics is needed, Blackwell didn't seem capable of this. I think he's a better than average manager, he turned the club around after the Robson era and did well to run the club on a shoestring. I remember hearing somewhere that in the 2 and a 1/2 years he was there we had £50million pounds come in from the sales of the two Kyles, Kilgallon, Kenny, Billy Sharp, Beattie and the West Ham money but Blackwell was only ever given £5million to spend, not sure if this is entirely accurate but the figures are around that. I think he did a good job and had he been given some financial backing he would've got us promoted by now.

Guest Scout Maker

What a bloody fantastic day today is! We are officially out of Administration and Davids, Obika and Counago sign! :D :D