PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

That's your opinion. Honestly I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about their rating in SM. ;)

Neither could I...

Aguero is a proven world-class act, scoring consistently in La Liga for the past 3? 4 years? Falcao is a major risk. Yes, he was brilliant last year in the Europa League and in Liga Sagres but 40m+ euro for someone who is yet to prove themselves in one of the top leagues is taking a huge chance.

Anyway, obviously it's just my opinion that Aguero > Falcao, but there's no doubting that Atletico are putting their neck on the line with a fee like that, surely!? :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Otavio only deserves a +1 I think. Braga have been dropping like a stone recently which may (and probably should) affect their review.  Rahul's predictions for the big 3 are fair, so for the othe

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

Neither could I...

Aguero is a proven world-class act' date=' scoring consistently in La Liga for the past 3? 4 years? Falcao is a major risk. Yes, he was brilliant last year in the Europa League and in Liga Sagres but 40m+ euro for someone who is yet to prove themselves in one of the top leagues is taking a huge chance.[/quote']

Falcao was brilliant ever since he arrived in Europe. He has proven himself in the CL (first season) and EL (second season). And the Portuguese League isn't as weak as you might think it is. And what has Aguero done besides scoring decent amounts of goals against the Valladolids, Hercules and Mallorcas of this world? Atletico doesn't qualify for CL that often, and even if when they do, they usually fall to EL right away, which means Aguero hasn't played against opponents that much more competitive than Falcao is used to. Both their goalscoring records can be compared and Falcao edges the Argentinian. Aguero isn't better than Falcao. He is a different player, but certainly not better.

Anyway, obviously it's just my opinion that Aguero > Falcao, but there's no doubting that Atletico are putting their neck on the line with a fee like that, surely!? :)

Just like Chelsea did with Torres, and he had a much bigger reputation than Aguero or Falcao. Every deal comes associated with a risk.

Neither could I...

Aguero is a proven world-class act' date=' scoring consistently in La Liga for the past 3? 4 years? Falcao is a major risk. Yes, he was brilliant last year in the Europa League and in Liga Sagres but 40m+ euro for someone who is yet to prove themselves in one of the top leagues is taking a huge chance.

Anyway, obviously it's just my opinion that Aguero > Falcao, but there's no doubting that Atletico are putting their neck on the line with a fee like that, surely!? :)[/quote']

Agree with all of that, world of difference between scoring goals in a relatively weak League such as Portugal to one of Europe's top Leagues on a regular basis.

Great money for Porto, but I cant believe with all the probable options avaliable Atletico, that aint the choice of a winner IMO, lets be honest Atletico have 0% chance of winning anything in Spain and relatively IMO little chance based on the strength of there squad of getting top 4.

Find it astonishing for Atletico as I thin k they could have used that money more wisely as there is a LOT of areas they need to strengthen they are way short and I cant imagine they have much more to spend.

Hmm' date=' Atlético could have bought Fabregas...[/quote']

That's the point I'm making. I personally think Falcao is awesome but there is still a possibility he could struggle in a stronger league; there are plenty of precedents. For that price, Atletico simply can't afford for him to have anything other than the form he had for Porto last season.

I think Torres is slightly different in that he has proven his worth before at the highest level so the failure is largely put on his shoulders rather than claiming Chelsea spent too much. With Falcao, if he flops then people analysing can easily suggest Atletico took too expensive a risk with a pretty much unproven player at the highest level.

Apart from the fact that Fabregas would never have moved there in a million years...

True. I was just considering Falcao's price tag.

That's the point I'm making. I personally think Falcao is awesome but there is still a possibility he could struggle in a stronger league; there are plenty of precedents. For that price' date=' Atletico simply can't afford for him to have anything other than the form he had for Porto last season.

I think Torres is slightly different in that he has proven his worth before at the highest level so the failure is largely put on his shoulders rather than claiming Chelsea spent too much. With Falcao, if he flops then people analysing can easily suggest Atletico took too expensive a risk with a pretty much unproven player at the highest level.[/quote']

I guess we'll have to wait and see. To be fair I don't think Atletico was the smartest choice, their midfield isn't even remotely close to ours in term of quality and a player like Falcao needs a lot of support. Given his style of play he's better off in La Liga rather than the EPL, that's for sure. I'm backing Falcao to score at least 20 goals in La Liga this season, and that's not even an optimistic target since La Liga has 8 more fixtures than we do, and scoring against Naval, Setubal or Academica isn't that different from scoring against Vallecano, Gijon or Racing.

Falcao has a lot of European experience, it's not like he's some John Doe... Atletico took an even larger risk when they paid 23M for Aguero back when he was in Argentina, am I right?

Wow it's actually happened, I'm shocked Falcao actually went to Atlético Madrid who I think is not a step-up in his career club wise, league wise definitely yes, don't get me wrong Atlético have made huge improvements this summer but I do feel he could do better.

I reckon he is going to rip La Liga apart next season and will score 25+ goals, looking forward to watching him play in Spain :)

Wow it's actually happened' date=' I'm shocked Falcao actually went to Atlético Madrid who I think is not a step-up in his career club wise,[b'] league wise definitely yes[/b], don't get me wrong Atlético have made huge improvements this summer but I do feel he could do better.

I reckon he is going to rip La Liga apart next season and will score 25+ goals, looking forward to watching him play in Spain :)

And wage wise as well. ;)

I thought Falcao would want to stay another year and actually move to a top club... I guess I was wrong. Hopefully he'll score those goals and Atletico qualifys for the CL, I want those extra 7M from the clause. :P

I thought Falcao would want to stay another year and actually move to a top club... I guess I was wrong. Hopefully he'll score those goals and Atletico qualifys for the CL' date=' I want those extra 7M from the clause. :P[/quote']

...If 40M wasn't enough! :P:eek:

Kleber to be the new CF then? I hope so (SM-wise):)...

...If 40M wasn't enough! :P:eek:

Kleber to be the new CF then? I hope so (SM-wise):)...

I'm greedy. :D

He started our first 2 official games, so it looks like it... I wouldn't rule out a new signing though. Reports say we might move for Damiao or Stracqualursi. Anyway I reckon Kleber should easily rise to 86/87 in the next ratings change. :)

I thought Falcao would want to stay another year and actually move to a top club... I guess I was wrong. Hopefully he'll score those goals and Atletico qualifys for the CL' date=' I want those extra 7M from the clause. :P[/quote']

Yeah, I reckon he will be a contender for top goalscorer but I don't think they would get Champions League football with Valencia and Bilbao improving and Malaga and Villarreal who have something to prove but who am I to predict that, it should be a tough season and will be very tight come the end of the season for the Champions League spot, looking forward to it :D

I'm just surprised that Atletico have effectively done the switch (plus some!). Incredibly risky move on their part.

I dont think they really had much choice' date=' if they did theres no way they would have effectively done the swap. Aguero wanted to leave and Man City paid his release clause, Atletico needed to replace him and Falcao was the best option available to them, and by the same token Atletico was the best option available to Falcao.

And what has Aguero done besides scoring decent amounts of goals against the Valladolids, Hercules and Mallorcas of this world?

Scored decent amounts of goals against the Barcelona's, Real Madrid's and Spain's of this world ;)

C'mon.. Atletico got a bargain.. in Ruben Micael.. :/ 5M€ is very low for him.. Real and Besiktas have more Portuguese players in their starting lineup than Porto and Benfica.. :/ if I am not wrong, Atletico will have to sell one non-EU player.. probably will be Elias.. he that scored today, twice.

And I would spend more easily 40M€ in Falcao than 45 in Aguero.. it's not easy to score in the Portuguese league, defensive wise, it's an Italy B.

Could somebody please clarify that the rumours from a few pages ago were about Cristian Rodriguez and not James Rodriguez being sold?

Saw a few Porto games last year where he played, and if he can nail down that position for his own he could be thinking about a 90 by the end of the season.. Very promising from what I can tell!

Falcao moving was surprising as I heard that he wasn't for sale earlier this summer when AVB was linked to him from Chelsea, but I guess for that kind of money you can't say no! I can see him being a success in Spain but only time will tell, and going by other SM ratings it's achievable for him to hit 94 if he can replicate Aguero's form there!

Am I the only one who thinks Falcao's move was not a step forward for the player? I know the quality of the Spanish league is much better but Porto will be playing CL football this year so it would make more sense to me for him to stay at Porto and prove himself among Europe's Elite and then move to a bigger club.

Am I the only one who thinks Falcao's move was not a step forward for the player? I know the quality of the Spanish league is much better but Porto will be playing CL football this year so it would make more sense to me for him to stay at Porto and prove himself among Europe's Elite and then move to a bigger club.

Playing in Portugal he will be in the majority of games (the league) be against very small teams. Benfica and Porto are quite good, Sporting OK and the rest not as good as Spain. And as for the Champions League the optimism that was around Porto has very quickly disappeared with Andre Villas Boas and players leaving.

What I am saying is that while Porto are in the Champions League at Atletico he can replace Aguero (starting oppurtunity if he plays well) as well as play week in week out against much better players. Porto are not likely to do well in the champions league (looking back at people who predicted them "quarter finals at least" on this thread and so on must feel silly now:p) so its not a huge loss. At 25 years old if he didn't take this ideal oppurtunity for him few will come again in the future. Only the biggest teams can pay 25 million and they already have good forwards (Chelsea, etc) so a move to a mid level club I feel is a better move. He could easily get more money at Atletico compared to Porto as well which always helps deals go through.

For me its a choice between going to a big club who have a ready made place for him now although missing out on a most likely uninspiring Champions League run or staying, doing not too good in the UCL and not getting the oppurtunity to move to a club where he will have an as high chance as suceeding.

Playing in Portugal he will be in the majority of games (the league) be against very small teams. Benfica and Porto are quite good' date=' Sporting OK and the rest not as good as Spain. And as for the Champions League the optimism that was around Porto has very quickly disappeared with Andre Villas Boas and players leaving.

What I am saying is that while Porto are in the Champions League at Atletico he can replace Aguero (starting oppurtunity if he plays well) as well as play week in week out against much better players. Porto are not likely to do well in the champions league (looking back at people who predicted them "quarter finals at least" on this thread and so on must feel silly now:p) so its not a huge loss. At 25 years old if he didn't take this ideal oppurtunity for him few will come again in the future. Only the biggest teams can pay 25 million and they already have good forwards (Chelsea, etc) so a move to a mid level club I feel is a better move. He could easily get more money at Atletico compared to Porto as well which always helps deals go through.

For me its a choice between going to a big club who have a ready made place for him now although missing out on a most likely uninspiring Champions League run or staying, doing not too good in the UCL and not getting the oppurtunity to move to a club where he will have an as high chance as suceeding.[/quote']

But who else is going to pay 45 Million euros for him? probably noone,it's one thing buying a player for 20 Million euros as many clubs have done that during the past and they could stretch to that in there budget but for 45 Million euros there is only a certain select amount of teams that could do that.

What his done in essence by signing that contract is locked himself into a club that won't compete as much as other clubs,it probably is a step up from Porto but not as big a step up as he is capable of,if he stayed at Porto and done well against the big sides then maybe a club of a bigger stature than Atletico would have come in,I'm sure he'd be available for £25-30 Million pounds next summer and more clubs could afford that.

However well he does at Atletico I can't see anyone coming along and paying any more than Atletico have actually paid for him.

if I am not wrong' date=' Atletico will have to sell one non-EU player.. probably will be Elias.. he that scored today, twice.

[/quote']

Doubt it would be Elias, he should be a nailed on starter for Atletico imo

Yeah' date=' I reckon he will be a contender for top goalscorer but I don't think they would get Champions League football with Valencia and Bilbao improving and Malaga and Villarreal who have something to prove but who am I to predict that, it should be a tough season and will be very tight come the end of the season for the Champions League spot, looking forward to it :D[/quote']

Valencia - Soldado, Bilbao - Llorente , Vilarreal - Rossi + Nilmar, Atleti - Falcao + Arda + Forlan.

Atletic have a fantastic chance to qualify for Champions League, solid fullback in Silvio has also arrived, don't know much about Miranda though tbh. Also Diego could yet still end up at Atleti also (:eek).

Could somebody please clarify that the rumours from a few pages ago were about Cristian Rodriguez and not James Rodriguez being sold?

Saw a few Porto games last year where he played' date=' and if he can nail down that position for his own he could be thinking about a 90 by the end of the season.. Very promising from what I can tell!

Falcao moving was surprising as I heard that he wasn't for sale earlier this summer when AVB was linked to him from Chelsea, but I guess for that kind of money you can't say no! I can see him being a success in Spain but only time will tell, and going by other SM ratings it's achievable for him to hit 94 if he can replicate Aguero's form there![/quote']

No it is C. Rodriguez who the lads talk about leaving.

Hi' date='Im a Atletico supporter and I´d like to know how is Ruben Micael?

Is he an ofensive player? Is he really good?

Thanks ;)[/quote']

He's good, he's an offensive player, but don't think he'll be starting for you :/

Yes it is a step forward, at the end of the day Porto are a feeder club, it's not like they choose to be, they have to, i'm not denying Porto are not a big club, but they know they'll be able to replace Falcao so it makes that decision easier fro them, Falcao joined Porto as a stepping stone to then join a bigger club (bit like Aguero joining chiteh) Atleti is a huge club in Spain, better league, arguably better players around him, it's a step up whichever way you look at it imo.

Guys, please be careful with the rubbish you are spurting here. As a Porto fan I find it insulting to even put Atletico on the same level as us, let alone a notch above... We crushed them by 5-0 on the aggregate last time we played them, and they still had Aguero, Simao, etc.

Falcao definitely moved to a bigger and more competitive league, with a much more rewarding contract. But to a better team?? With better players around him??? LOL.

Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Porto is clearly in the top 5 best teams of the world right now, well, without Falcao i dont know now, but last season Porto clearly showed a top level of football, worthy of all what they've achieved. Hopefully they get another great CF fo play there, in Portugal is the team i like the most (mostly because of the Uruguayans there :P)

Guys' date=' please be careful with the rubbish you are spurting here. [b']As a Porto fan I find it insulting to even put Atletico on the same level as us, let alone a notch above[/b]... We crushed them by 5-0 on the aggregate last time we played them, and they still had Aguero, Simao, etc.

Falcao definitely moved to a bigger and more competitive league, with a much more rewarding contract. But to a better team?? With better players around him??? LOL.

Firstly mate i'm sorry if i had insulted you, secondly i didn't compare the two teams, i said ''Atleti is a huge club in Spain'', then i said ''arguably better players'', i never said they certainly better. If Falcao was still at Porto he'd have

Fernando-Moutinho-Guarin

Varela-------------Hulk

At Atleti he has

Elias-Micael/Tiago/Diego(hot rumours linking him with a move to Atleti)

Reyes-Arda-Salvio

I guess i was a bit rash with that statement, so sorry for that, but imo it still is a step up for Falcao.