PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

But who else is going to pay 45 Million euros for him? probably noone' date='it's one thing buying a player for 20 Million euros as many clubs have done that during the past and they could stretch to that in there budget but for 45 Million euros there is only a certain select amount of teams that could do that.[/b']

What his done in essence by signing that contract is locked himself into a club that won't compete as much as other clubs,it probably is a step up from Porto but not as big a step up as he is capable of,if he stayed at Porto and done well against the big sides then maybe a club of a bigger stature than Atletico would have come in,I'm sure he'd be available for £25-30 Million pounds next summer and more clubs could afford that.

However well he does at Atletico I can't see anyone coming along and paying any more than Atletico have actually paid for him.

I don't think I said that anyone will buy him from Atletico. I myself think he won't move to a bigger club now. And I said in my post few teams can afford him-only the biggest:confused: and it was 45 million for two players, not just Falcao. You quoted me and questioned me but haven't said much different?

And as for a bigger team than Atletico-well who? United/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal don't really need him (they have enough options or other positions they need to strengthen more). Spurs simply cannot afford the outright cost.

Bayern don't need him, Inter have a lot of forwards already, Milan he wouldn't start really etc. So he has a choice of starting for Atletico or being a bench player at a bigger club I think. At 25 he is not a young prospect any more and should be starting if possible.

And as for Porto being a strong team I think we should wait and see what happens in the Champions League. The UEFA super cup should also be ain interesting game since one person posted on here that Barca and United would have to "eat grass" if they played Porto lol

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Otavio only deserves a +1 I think. Braga have been dropping like a stone recently which may (and probably should) affect their review.  Rahul's predictions for the big 3 are fair, so for the othe

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

I guess i was a bit rash with that statement' date=' so sorry for that, but imo it still is a step up for Falcao.[/quote']

It is a step up really. Look at who he will be playing the majority of his games against. Porto aren't a poor team themselves (while they won't do as well in the UCL as some here foolishly suggested before Atletico won't really progress in the UCL either) but the league is pretty low quality. In Spain he will reguarly play against good opposition and earn more money in the process.

So while people may debate the strength of Porto and Altetico the MUCH stronger Spanish league, and interest around the world being stronger in La Liga, as well as more money, are some big positives to move.

Porto got a fair amount of money from the two players and while they may have preferred to keep them even their president said they were a feeder club. So a good deal for Porto-as a feeder club they certainly benefited, and a good deal for Atletico since they replace Aguero and reinforce another position.

Not "eating grass" but certainly Porto could face UTD without problems and make a great stand' date=' now Barcelona... thats a whole different thing. I personally think all the teams are kinda far of Barcelona's level.[/quote']

Porto (my post above and what their own president said about them) have got few stars left. Hulk and Moutinho are the stars of the team yet they are far from United quality. Nani, Young, Valencia, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov etc are all players who are very good. Porto only have two decent ones.

I think Moutinho is a good player, Hulk also-but they are two players who aren't even as proven as the above.

I haven't included defenders but Ferdiand, Vidic, Smalling, Jones, Evra, Fabio, Rafael are all highly rated and Porto have few defenders of high quality (compared to the above)

United and Porto would be seen to be an easy game by fans and bookies alike IMO.

I don't think I said that anyone will buy him from Atletico. I myself think he won't move to a bigger club now. And I said in my post few teams can afford him-only the biggest:confused: and it was 45 million for two players' date=' not just Falcao. You quoted me and questioned me but haven't said much different?

And as for a bigger team than Atletico-well who? United/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal don't really need him (they have enough options or other positions they need to strengthen more). Spurs simply cannot afford the outright cost.

Bayern don't need him, Inter have a lot of forwards already, Milan he wouldn't start really etc. So he has a choice of starting for Atletico or being a bench player at a bigger club I think. At 25 he is not a young prospect any more and should be starting if possible.

And as for Porto being a strong team I think we should wait and see what happens in the Champions League. The UEFA super cup should also be ain interesting game since one person posted on here that Barca and United would have to "eat grass" if they played Porto lol[/quote']

But where I was disagreeing you was that if he waited another year I think he'd have been available for around 30-35 Million euros and if he proved himself in the ECC most teams would have been more inclined to pay the money for him.

Of the top of my head Inter is an option,Eto'o looks set for Anzhi,Milito is heading towards the end of career and I think his a better player than Pandev or Pazzini personally,and football always changes regarding possibles ins and outs and I think if the stayed and played for another year the outcome would have been better and he'd be joining a bigger club than Atletico Madrid.

I think his got the skill to play in one of the top European clubs in the world personally and yet it looks like his took the first opportunity available to him which is a shame.

Porto only have two decent ones.

Sorry, what? Hahahaha that's ridiculous!! They have multiple players who have made their name at European and International, and are more than decent.

Have you ever heard of the likes of Rolando, Alvaro, Fernando? Not to mention solid players like Guarin, Varela, James Rodriguez (big talent), Helton etc.

Don't be silly; I think you're under-rating Porto, big time.

I remember a team full of stars that beat United in 2004.. I remember other team full of stars, that was only knocked by Man Utd in 2009 because a goal of the best of the world at that time.. I remember a team that's in 2011 WC u20 final without any star.. I remember that football is a collective game where the stars only shine when the whole team shines. And I remember the stars are in the sky, and in the Earth are Human that fail and can have a bad day like other Human with confidence can play better than we thought possible..

you act like if Porto players only came from life last season.. I remember them being in CL a lot of years/games before.. like Jones, like Smalling, like Fabio and Young. Players that already have a lot of games in CL and are proven at the highest club level..

Porto are a feeder club if they sold their best players on the cheap, like Arsenal, but to buy our players you have to hypothecate your stadium first before buy them. That's a big difference.

Porto (my post above and what their own president said about them) have got few stars left. Hulk and Moutinho are the stars of the team yet they are far from United quality. Nani' date=' Young, Valencia, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov etc are all players who are very good. Porto only have two decent ones.

I think Moutinho is a good player, Hulk also-but they are two players who aren't even as proven as the above.

I haven't included defenders but Ferdiand, Vidic, Smalling, Jones, Evra, Fabio, Rafael are all highly rated and Porto have few defenders of high quality (compared to the above)

United and Porto would be seen to be an easy game by fans and bookies alike IMO.[/quote']

Oh dear you just can `t compare Nani, Young, Valencia, Anderson, Fletcher, Park or Berbatov with Hulk. The dragon is simply better.

Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Oh dear you just can `t compare Nani, Young, Valencia, Anderson, Fletcher, Park or Berbatov with Hulk. The dragon is simply better.

Hulk better than Nani or Young? LoL

You shouldn´t compare Anderson,Park or Berbatov with Hulk because they play in differents positions..

Re: Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Hulk better than Nani or Young? LoL

You shouldn´t compare Anderson' date='Park or Berbatov with Hulk because they play in differents positions..[/quote']

I know they play different positions but the coparison was made in terms of value. And yes, Hulk is better than Nani and Young B)

Spent 10M to bring Freddy Gurain' date=' could hit 89,90 with the CL caps ?[/quote']

He must get the 90. He was a beast last season and performed very well in Copa America for Colombia too. There's no reason why he should make a stop at 89... Unless Defour starts ahead of him. Which is unlikely. For now anyway.

Seen that Souza has taken the place of Fernando in the first 11' date=' heard rumours recently linking Fernando with a move to Roma, is that why Souza is starting?[/quote']

Indeed, Fernando should leave. We are just waiting for the right offer. Meanwhile Souza took his place and he is performing well within expectations. As such I'd say he is in for a +2.

Indeed' date=' Fernando should leave. We are just waiting for the right offer. Meanwhile Souza took his place and he is performing well within expectations. As such I'd say he is in for a +2.[/quote']

When do you expect the changes to happen?

Also on another note, Nelson Oliveira, looks a player and a half judging by his performances at the U20WC, has great dynamism to his game for saying he's about 6ft 3, needs a position change to FWD as i've seen him operate as a wide forward in the tournament, and he's extremely light-heeled for saying how tall he is, hope he gets a chance at Benfica.

When do you expect the changes to happen?

Also on another note' date=' Nelson Oliveira, looks a player and a half judging by his performances at the U20WC, has great dynamism to his game for saying he's about 6ft 3, needs a position change to FWD as i've seen him operate as a wide forward in the tournament, and he's extremely light-heeled for saying how tall he is, hope he gets a chance at Benfica.[/quote']

Somewhere between November, December or maybe January. That's when the Portuguese league is usually reviewed and there would be no point in doing it before that. The second time is always in the beginning of Spring, in late May or early June.

Agreed. Benfica's manager said he would give him an opportunity in the squad, but honestly I can't see him having a lot of chances there... Even Rodrigo has been benched since the beginning of the season because the manager always prefers Cardozo and Saviola.

Somewhere between November' date=' December or maybe January. That's when the Portuguese league is usually reviewed and there would be no point in doing it before that. The second time is always in the beginning of Spring, in late May or early June.

Agreed. Benfica's manager said he would give him an opportunity in the squad, but honestly I can't see him having a lot of chances there... Even Rodrigo has been benched since the beginning of the season because the manager always prefers Cardozo and Saviola.[/quote']

Was thinking of making a bid for Josef, but i'll wait as Fernando might not even end up moving :P

Also Nolito is doing very well for Benfica now, then you also have Bruno Cesar. He does face stiff competition indeed, was thinking of making a bid for him but i'll wait, maybe he'll bag himself a move after a bright WC.

Hi Derby' date='

What is the expected role of Jozef Souza for Porto this season? :o[/quote']

Said this just a couple of posts back.

Indeed' date=' Fernando should leave. We are just waiting for the right offer. Meanwhile Souza took his place and he is performing well within expectations. As such I'd say he is in for a +2.[/quote']

EDIT His role is to cover the defense :P