PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Nope. Artur is the starter' date=' and quite rightly let me add. He single-handedly saved Benfica from an embarrassment against Twente as I counted 4 (!) WORLD CLASS saves. Eduardo is the second choice and poor Mika will be a mere spectator the whole season, bar one or two cup games, unless he's sent out on loan. He should have never left Leiria this early.[/quote']

And what about Jan Oblak? Do you rate him highly? So Artur will be no. 1 in Portugal NT? :)

And what about Jan Oblak? Do you rate him highly?

Not really. I saw one of his games and he wasn't particularly impressing... He's nothing compared to Mika' date=' that's for sure.

what do people make of lionel carole?

hes only 20 and signed for benfica and is a lb

will he get many games now coentrao has left?

I bought him' date=' as I saw some good videos with him... [b']seems like great runner![/b]

And that's about it. :P

Carole will be shipped out on loan because the LBs in Benfica are Emerson and Capdevila.

Carole will be shipped out on loan because the LBs in Benfica are Emerson and Capdevila.

do you think emerson will play more or less than capdevila? is worthy buying emerson, even if he's in an unmanaged club and quite expensive? :D

do you think emerson will play more or less than capdevila? is worthy buying emerson' date=' even if he's in an unmanaged club and quite expensive? :D[/quote']

Capdevila is worthless. Benfica brought him in just to have a World Champion in their squad. Whatever... Emerson is starting all the games and it should remain that way. With CL football guaranteed, a +2 is coming his way.

So what do you think of the CL draws' date=' DP? What are your thoughts on their chances of making the knock-out stages (especially Porto)? Happy with the draw [from a Porto P.O.V.']? :)

It should be tough. Shakthar is the best team in the world after Barcelona when it comes to technique, and playing twice in Eastern Europe is no pushover. APOEL has absolutely fantastic fans, but they are no match for any of the other teams. I reckon we need the 6 points against APOEL and at least 5 points in the other 4 matches to get through. Hard, but not an impossible task.

Benfica's group is an Europa League one if you take ManU. They're always lucky in the draws. :rolleyes: They'll obviously get through in 2nd, and get trashed by a group winner next. B)

was it a surprise that nacional lost to a championship side' date=' what does it say about the depth in Portuguese football? im a birmingham fan and when i saw draw i fully expected to get knocked out[/quote']

To be fair I think Nacional has an average squad this season. They haven't been a very tough opponent ever since they lost Ruben Micael two years ago... That said, I still believe they were embarrassed in this tie.

was it a surprise that nacional lost to a championship side' date=' what does it say about the depth in Portuguese football? im a birmingham fan and when i saw draw i fully expected to get knocked out[/quote']

Considering that you last season won the Cup against.. Arsenal that is in CL.. You got more than 10pts against the top6.. and you basically only lost 2 influent players.. I would say it's normal. I was expecting it, as Portuguese teams have normally troubles against English teams. Also, if you look at the value of your team is very high compared with Nacional( 42,375M€ vs 20,9M€). If you add to that, some shock defeats like Roma, Celtic and Sevilla.. looks normal.

Btw, two teams that could go higher in the Portuguese League are Feirense and Gil Vicente. Specially the later that had two good games against both Porto and Benfica. Two players to keep an eye are Ludovic from Feirense and Hugo Vieira from Gil.. both deserving better teams, specially the 2nd.

thanks for reply about carole- ive bought him now and hes still young so he may be a slow burner!

just sat down to watch euro super cup- is kleber the direct replacement for falcao- is he going to be first choice for porto this season?

Looks like it. He started both league games (Was subbed off in both) and started the Portugese Super Cup.

Also started tonight against Barcelona in the European Super cup

Capdevila is worthless. Benfica brought him in just to have a World Champion in their squad. Whatever... Emerson is starting all the games and it should remain that way. With CL football guaranteed' date=' a +2 is coming his way.[/quote']

Nice, i bought him in my beloved Porto in GC34 :D

I bought there and in a lot of setups more Ze Luis, because of the good season in Honra and because of the price. Will he play some minutes during this season in Braga?I see a lot of Fwds there...

About Braga, i see Ewerton is the first choice for the CB, and Coelho is on the bench.. Will Ewerton (and maybe Imorou) keep playing?

Yeah' date=' lets all listen to Mr smartypants shall we :rolleyes: he 'knows it all' :rolleyes:

If he was so 'useless' he wouldn't of had played around 47 games for Liverpool, doing relatively well, and in which he earned his first call up to the Argentine National team. Did much much more than both [b']Dossena and Koncheskey[/b] put together.

Probably not the best to compare to. They were both pretty bad for Liverpool lol

Yeah' date=' lets all listen to Mr smartypants shall we :rolleyes: he 'knows it all' :rolleyes:

If he was so 'useless' he wouldn't of had played around 47 games for Liverpool, doing relatively well.[/quote']

Clichy and denilson had played more than 47 games for arsenal, doesn't mean there good.

If he was so 'useless' he wouldn't of had played around 47 games for Liverpool, doing relatively well, [b']and in which he earned his first call up to the Argentine National team.[/b] Did much much more than both Dossena and Koncheskey put together.

That doesn't really mean much, when Argentina have zero decent left-backs right now. And, as already pointed out, Dossena and Konchesky (especially) were pap for Liverpool, so it's hardly an achievement to do better than them.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him useless, but the Portuguese league is probably the right level for him (no disrespect meant to Portugal).

Nice' date=' i bought him in my beloved Porto in GC34 :D

I bought there and in a lot of setups more Ze Luis, because of the good season in Honra and because of the price. Will he play some minutes during this season in Braga?I see a lot of Fwds there...

About Braga, i see Ewerton is the first choice for the CB, and Coelho is on the bench.. Will Ewerton (and maybe Imorou) keep playing?[/quote']

The two best CBs are Ewerton and Vinicius. I am a braga fan and I must say Ewerton has been excelent so far, he seems like the real deal so he will surely keep playing! Nuno Coelho is yet to start a game he is kind of an unknown card.

Imorou was injured in the EL game so he lost his place to Elderson. My opinion is that he is better than the nigerian so he will regain the spot when he is fit again.

Ze Luis also got injured before the season started but my opinion is that he will surely get more than 1000 minutes. He is just 19 but has a very strong pace and extremelly acuracte shooting. He kind of reminds Eto'o ! I have lots of expectations for him he can play centre forward and also Winger in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system. Can't wait for his return and now with the probable departure of pizzi he will have more space

Well' date=' you are basically screwed! :D :D[/quote']

Don't listen to him, braga are rubbish :P Seriously though from a brum point of view, you'll be in for a tough night, won't be pretty, and you'll find it hard to break them down, do be upset if you don't go through, braga's a real sticky opposition.